Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 09:12 PM
iamuwere
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the color of the door/button called SD slightly different color? It looked different colors in your prior photos as well
Old 09-05-2022, 10:47 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Do you have this unit or did you pull the image from the internet? Where can we get more information about the unit?
i designed this unit.

I am testing the prototype and am making revisions for the black one, and then will work on finalizing the nissan kr2 grey to make a 997.1 volcano grey one. I also paid attention to the ***** + buttons model that came out in january of this year, and studied various other pcms.

I worked with owTownsin (who i believe 90% of us on this thread purchased from), in the past few months to make this pcm with dials + buttons a reality. The quality of their units overall, has been very good.

I wanted it to blend nicely with .1 + .2 997/987 interiors, while yielding full android functionality. It took a few revisions, and while I didn't get everything I wanted - for the most part I am genuinely very happy with the way it turned out.

I will share more details on this thread and likely create a new one when they are approved for sale - I wrote many posts on this thread as a trouble shooting / installation manual for the 2020 android units to help those who had issues, so i will update the new thread pretty much as an install manual.

Last edited by myw; 09-05-2022 at 11:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by myw:
eclou (09-05-2022), nydog (09-05-2022), Omnigeek (10-10-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 10:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by iamuwere
Is the color of the door/button called SD slightly different color? It looked different colors in your prior photos as well
SD is a simply a cover for the SD card slot. it doesn't light up. All other buttons light up, and can even during the day (that's how i have it set).

The final version I will try to have the text look more uniform and similar to oem (brighter)

Last edited by myw; 09-05-2022 at 10:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iamuwere (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 10:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

can’t wait for the upgrade.

love to hear your review
I have put up a 25 minute video review of the unit on the facebook 997 retroFit forum, as I normally put most of my modifications up there over the years. Please join + take a look if you have the chance
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
iamuwere (09-05-2022), nydog (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 11:20 PM
iamuwere
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
SD is a simply a cover for the SD card slot. it doesn't light
They must be what I’m seeing
Old 09-05-2022, 11:30 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

They must be what I’m seeing
In the video review you will see the rest of the buttons lighting up in both day + night mode - and i show the SD cover coming off to reveal the microSD card slot (i doubt I will ever use it as I have a usb input coming out of the center arm rest). But the manufacturer wanted to add it since the 996 + 997 pccm+ has a microSD card slot as well.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:02 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Failed mic

Folks,

I have a PX6 with android 9. The microphone has always been rubbish and only useful when the car is stationary. Thereafter it apparently sounds like I’m under water.

Now it has failed completely. I have changed the mic and confirmed the connector is in continuity so I am pretty happy with the electronics outside the unit.

Short of the unit being bricked (from the mic perspective), does anybody know whether there is a setting that I or the kids might have messed up? Long shot but otherwise it’s a new unit.

Thanks
Richarf
Old 09-25-2022, 08:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

the internal mic for that generation of units is connected via vERY WEAK solder.

if the front bezel has ever been removed (for paint) - the stress from that could have been enough to loosening it to the point that over time .... it becomes dislodged completely - it will need a reSoldier if my guess is correct.

This has been my experience with both mine and my brothers owTowson 2020 unit when i removed my bezel to paint it.

has your bezel ever been removed?

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
Folks,

I have a PX6 with android 9. The microphone has always been rubbish and only useful when the car is stationary. Thereafter it apparently sounds like I’m under water.

Now it has failed completely. I have changed the mic and confirmed the connector is in continuity so I am pretty happy with the electronics outside the unit.

Short of the unit being bricked (from the mic perspective), does anybody know whether there is a setting that I or the kids might have messed up? Long shot but otherwise it’s a new unit.

Thanks
Richarf
Old 09-26-2022, 03:56 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

No, bezel never removed.

I have never used the in-built mic, and when I tried to test it without the external nothing happened. There are two small holes in the facia so maybe there is a built-in mic, but it came with a plug-in mic which I always used.

so I cannot get the unit to recognise input from either a mic plugged in the back, or from the built-in mic (if indeed it has one).

I suppose it’s possible that all this time it has been using the in-built mic, which has now failed. Does anyone know whether there is a setting to tell it which mic to use?

Richard
Old 09-26-2022, 07:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

there is no setting for which mic to use - not even in the secret factory menu - i have checked.

the external mic is used for phone calls only for the phone apps - or if in blueTooth music (A2DP) mode - the external mic will can be used to record whatsapp msgs. i believe music mode + phone call modes are 2 different BT protocols.

i think the software configuration is faulty - in terms of which BT protocol to use for phone chats + music streaming. the android car stereo forums should help.

No, bezel never removed.

I have never used the in-built mic, and when I tried to test it without the external nothing happened. There are two small holes in the facia so maybe there is a built-in mic, but it came with a plug-in mic which I always used.

so I cannot get the unit to recognise input from either a mic plugged in the back, or from the built-in mic (if indeed it has one).

I suppose it’s possible that all this time it has been using the in-built mic, which has now failed. Does anyone know whether there is a setting to tell it which mic to use?

Richard
Old 10-10-2022, 05:17 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

OK so it gets more interesting.

Made a call on Bluetooth, not using Wireless CarPlay. Perfect sound. Hook up CarPlay, sound gone.

There are no setting I can see on the phone but obviously Android 9 and iOS 16 don’t talk to each other.

Tapping the newly-installed mic with my hand made no noise at the other end so I think the unit is using the built-in mic, not that from the rear. I have disconnected the rear mic and will try tomorrow to see what the call quality is like.

very odd.

Richard
Old 10-10-2022, 06:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

there is no setting. I have checked.

OK so it gets more interesting.

Made a call on Bluetooth, not using Wireless CarPlay. Perfect sound. Hook up CarPlay, sound gone.

There are no setting I can see on the phone but obviously Android 9 and iOS 16 don’t talk to each other.

Tapping the newly-installed mic with my hand made no noise at the other end so I think the unit is using the built-in mic, not that from the rear. I have disconnected the rear mic and will try tomorrow to see what the call quality is like.

very odd.

Richard
Old 10-14-2022, 12:02 PM
Silverbullet911
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The Enfig microphone works well.

The following users liked this post:
myw (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 01:29 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Default mic mounting in oem spot

EDIT - forgot to mention that I tested this after and the call quality sounded good.

the above post reminded me to share where + how I mounted my mic in the oem spot (steering column). years ago i did put it above the A-pillar/headliner. It's since been removed and put in the oem factory spot.

1) - notice the factory mic (similar mount that the enFig uses) - i left this as is. I believe this mic can be retrofitted for aftermarket use as there is a 991oem mic -> 2.5mm adapter for 50$ available. I didnt think this was needed.

2) long zipTie to fish the cable over for the aftermarket mic. Got thru the pcm cavity and you will eventually see the other end of the zip tie pop out of the steering column.

3) i removed the mic windScreen (no wind anyways) as well as any attached mount. Good 'ol 3M double sided rear badging tape was used do the trick to mount the mic to the other side of the steering column. It' wont go anywhere + will stay mounted. Make sure to apply common sense (make sure the tape doesnt cover the mic itself) when taping to the mic.

I sometimes use a ball of double sided 3m tape to catch wires/pick up things when fishing wires for front/rear camera cables for this project - so this solution of 3m came to me when I was thinking about a cheap + reliable solution to keep the mic mounted. I didnt bother to use cloth tape or anything around the steering column mic vent or anything like that.

Last edited by myw; 10-14-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:32 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

I have disconnected the external mic and the sound from my Owtsin PX6 is better for it.

not convinced the external mic ever worked.

Richard

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!