Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 05:52 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

did you get this fixed eventually?

Originally Posted by acr89
The reverse trigger is still not working. I now just use a programmed button on the steering wheel to bring up the front camera when parking, and then I hit a button on the screen to bring up the reverse camera. I did not know about the LOGCAN function and just try that out. I got plenty of CANBUS signals for things like my steering wheel controls, but none from switching to reverse.

My unit did come programmed with the right Porsche canbus setting. I tried playing with the other settings and still no luck. Even if the canbus box was defective, I should have been able to hardwire a reverse trigger wire to the HU’s pink wire to have the HU switch to reverse when I shift to reverse. It’s for that reason I’m convinced the HU is defective, specifically the reverse wire. China car audio sent me a new harness and that didn’t work either.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:48 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
did you get this fixed eventually?
nope, still doesn’t work, seller was useless and refused to stand behind the product (unless I wanted to ship the unit back to China at my expense) and even then it would have been a gamble.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:37 AM
911's
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by acr89
nope, still doesn’t work, seller was useless and refused to stand behind the product (unless I wanted to ship the unit back to China at my expense) and even then it would have been a gamble.
i'm having the same issue with rear cam and very much agree the seller "OW Tosin" from Ali Express will not stand behind his product. tried for over two months to get support from seller at the time to no avail. frankly speaking the seller is a crook, once they get your money you're on your own unless one has a spacial friendship with them, but then this is how business is conducted in that part of the world with most sellers, they look at it as smart way of doing business.

lesson learned

Last edited by 911's; 07-11-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

hmm, which users here had the reverse trigger working via connecting both pink reverse wires?

For those that can/can't get it to work - what year/trim model is your car?

i'm wondering if there are (slight) changes to the wiring harness layout over the years based on all the diff model thats are offered. I've seen slight (minor) differences with this sort of thing.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:56 PM
911's
Advanced

Originally Posted by myw
hmm, which users here had the reverse trigger working via connecting both pink reverse wires?

For those that can/can't get it to work - what year/trim model is your car?

i'm wondering if there are (slight) changes to the wiring harness layout over the years based on all the diff model thats are offered. I've seen slight (minor) differences with this sort of thing.
mine is 2006 c2s with bose system. i've also been following the facebook thread related to this player, wiring is the same bose standard as discussed over-here and on facebook. i'm almost certain the issue i'm having is from the android 10 os they've installed when seller sent me the player. it seems to have a lot of bugs hence the os is not stable and i'm not able to get support from the seller to give me the latest android updates to fix the issues i'm having nor any support at all.

Last edited by 911's; 07-11-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:01 PM
harlycharly
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

The problems everyone is having is why I went with the Dynavin N7 Pro unit!
Old 07-11-2021, 04:30 PM
911's
Advanced

Originally Posted by harlycharly
The problems everyone is having is why I went with the Dynavin N7 Pro unit!
wish i took the same root as you did, will probably end up throwing this junk i have in the bin and going the Dynavin N7 Pro unit root
Old 07-11-2021, 04:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Default BASIC WIRING INSTRUCTIONS FOR SETUP (both 997.1 + 997.2)

Originally Posted by 911's
mine is 2006 c2s with boss system. i've also been following the facebook thread related to this player, wiring is the same boss standard as discussed over-here and on facebook. i'm almost certain the issue i'm having is from the android 10 os they've installed when seller sent me the player. it seems to have a lot of bugs hence the os is not stable and i'm not able to get support from the seller to give me the latest android updates to fix the issues i'm having.
I wlll tackle this reverse camera issue shortly.

For those having reverse trigger options, have any of you used a voltMeter to figure out which of the reverseSignals in the harness switch over when the car is in reverse? This will be very easy fo figure out if the pin/cable was mapped incorrectly or if it is an issue with the unit. This is how my shop figured out how to install aftermarket reverse sensors (using the harness from tail light).

Finally having started to tackle the install. to get the unit working - it is VERY VERY SIMPLE.

for 997.1 owners
-----------------------
- make sure use the supplied main 997.1 harness (you can easily match the harness outputs with the back of your oem pcm.)

- for BOSE owners, there are 3 MOST cables to splice coming out of the MOST ADAPTER itself. 1) BLACK is to be spliced into the THICK BLACK cable in the supplied main 997.1 harness. 2) YELLOW is to be spliced into the THICK YELLOW cable in the supplied 997.1 harness. 3) RED (ACC+) is to be spliced into the BLUE antenna cable that is between both supplied 997.1 harness (plus the harness for the new pcm itself).

it is VERY simple + easy. it is Literally 3 simple splices to get things up + running. MAKE SURE TO SPLICE + SHEILD properly (i use tons of electrical tape wrapping) to eliminate alternator whine. I am old school and do old school splices without wire taps.

- for NON-BOSE owners, there is NO splicing to do, so it is literally plug + play. there is an additional an ask-ampflier step that is required (pls google)

for 997.2 owners
-----------------------
- make sure use the supplied main 997.2 harness (you can easily match the harness outputs with the back of your oem pcm.)
- for BOSE owners, there are 3 MOST cables to splice coming out of the MOST ADAPTER itself. 1) BLACK is to be spliced into the THICK BLACK cable in the supplied main 997.2 harness. 2) YELLOW is to be spliced into the THICK YELLOW cable in the supplied 997.2 harness. 3) RED (ACC+) is to be spliced into the BLUE antenna cable that is between both supplied 997.2 harness (plus the harness for the new pcm itself).

it is VERY simple + easy. it is Literally 3 simple splices to get things up + running.

I dont believe 997.2 came with non-bose (i could be wrong) but again, if it did come with non-bose i would surmise it is plug+play with an ask-amp setting to deal with (again, google).

I will deal with al issues step by step + report here as well as the facebook thread I had started.

IMO this unit is the best looking / most functional / best value for our cars. I'm confident we can figure out the bugs considering the amount of owners in the know with these sort of things.

Last edited by myw; 07-13-2021 at 12:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by myw:
ripcurl (02-06-2024), scadams (07-12-2021), WCO (03-21-2023)
Old 07-11-2021, 11:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Default STEERING WHEEL MULTIFUNCTION MAPPING

Originally Posted by Gavc
Has anyone worked out how to map Multi-function steering buttons to Siri?
I noticed the key mapping section in the zlink app, but it doesnt recognise the steering wheel keys
Hi Gavc

Instructions to get your OEM STEERING WHEEL FUNCTIONS PROPERLY MAPPED.

go into
- settings ->
- car settings ->
- factory setting
a password prompt will show up allowing you to enter the passcode to the secret menu.
enter "126".

after entering "126" in the secret menu go straight to the right tab "other". the bottom selection is "STEERING WHEEL KEY ASSIGN".

if you are only having limited steering wheel functionality (volume only) then chances are the selection states "SWC". it MUST be changed to "CAN KEY" - so that it gets the info from the canBus adapter (assuming it was purchased and is plugged into your main aftermarket harness).

"SWC" i believe is the one to be used if using an aftermarket volume control button.

Also double check to be sure that under the "CANBUS" tab (4th tab) - that the manufacturer is 29 - PORSCHE (BAGOO). I checked all the other manufacturer options and this is the only porsche one available.

For fun, if you are debugging canBus related issues, you can enter password " logcan" and the canbus messages will be logged. I will still need to try this sometime.

dont forget to go into the APP " steering wheel KEY " to map the steering wheel buttons now. you will notice that even with the porsche MF wheel, 2 buttons still wont work on the right side of the wheel. This is normal, as I've confirmed with with many 997 owners worldwide , the canBus isnt programmed properly for these 2 buttons (i have verified this via the logCan output).

Last edited by myw; 07-26-2021 at 09:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scadams (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

day 1 of install

Old 07-13-2021, 09:13 AM
Barry987
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi

I have just joined Rennlist Forum and have read this thread with interest. I bought the OWtosin unit for my 987 non Bose. It fitted and wired no problem and functions really well I am very pleased with both function and sound quality. However like other members I am having trouble with the reverse camera trigger. I am using a wireless system to save wiring problems (2.4Ghz). Putting into reverse does not bring up the camera on the screen, in fact nothing happens the music plays on. The two pink wires are connected. I have tried to trigger the unit seperately with 12v on the trigger input, nothing. I tried with the two pink wires disconnected, nothing. I tried 12v on the pink wire into the main power socket, nothing. Needless to say OWtosin say the camera is at fault, the camera people say if the trigger does not work then it must be the H.U. which I tend to agree with. I am stumped so if anyone has a solution I am all ears.
Barry
Old 07-13-2021, 12:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

what version android OS is your unit running? 9 or 10?

also (unrelated to your issue) did you enable the ask-Amplifier?

Originally Posted by Barry987
Hi

I have just joined Rennlist Forum and have read this thread with interest. I bought the OWtosin unit for my 987 non Bose. It fitted and wired no problem and functions really well I am very pleased with both function and sound quality. However like other members I am having trouble with the reverse camera trigger. I am using a wireless system to save wiring problems (2.4Ghz). Putting into reverse does not bring up the camera on the screen, in fact nothing happens the music plays on. The two pink wires are connected. I have tried to trigger the unit seperately with 12v on the trigger input, nothing. I tried with the two pink wires disconnected, nothing. I tried 12v on the pink wire into the main power socket, nothing. Needless to say OWtosin say the camera is at fault, the camera people say if the trigger does not work then it must be the H.U. which I tend to agree with. I am stumped so if anyone has a solution I am all ears.
Barry

Last edited by myw; 07-13-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:25 PM
Barry987
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi

Its Android 10, the ASK amp seemed to work right out of the box. The sound is as good as the CDR24 that I took out. I have also put in the TPMS which works a treat and remote SWC as my did not have them, once again no problems. It's just the reverse trigger that is driving me crazy.

Barry
Old 07-13-2021, 01:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Default REVERSE TRIGGER DEBUGGING

This seems to be a common issue shared amongst many here.
---------------
STEP 1 - BEFORE TESTING ANYTHING, go into the secret menu to *MAKE SURE THE REVERSE TRIGGER INPUT ON THE PX6 IS ENABLED* go into
- settings ->
- car settings ->
- factory setting

a password prompt will show up allowing you to enter the passcode to the secret menu.
enter "126".

in the secret menu go straight to the right tab "other". scroll DOWN to reveal that there is a lower page of an abundance of settings. look for setting called "prohibit reverse" this needs to be set to "enable".

if this is set to "disable" your reverse camera trigger will not fire up NO MATTER WHAT.

THIS IS A MUST DO AS IT HAS STUMPED SOME OWNERS OF THIS UNIT FOR 1/2 A YEAR IN SOME CASES.

MANY android owners have had the issue (for all makes/models) - the sellers of this unit frequently miss setting this in the secret menu bios.
--------------

STEP 2 - Plugging both pink connectors together (head unit harness + the one coming out of the Canbus Unit) + throw the car into REVERSE, the reverse trigger should activate and you should see a blank (reverse camera input screen).

If your camera is already plugged in with proper power/ground then the reverse camera input should be displayed.

However when i did this I was not so lucky. FOR SOME 997s, the reverse trigger CANBUS SIMPLY WONT WORK. for others it does. This is not specific to 997.1/997.2/turbo/Carrera. It's literally hit + miss. I have verified via the LOGCAN, there is no 12V reverse trigger signal coming out of the wTownsin CANBUS output harness. For those with this issue, we have to bypass the logCan reverse trigger and use the reverse light 12v+ triggers from the taillight harness.

I am aware that some users here have had their canBus send a proper reverse trigger output into the HUs reverse input signal (pink connector connected to another pink connector - consider yourselves lucky! - you simply need to plug ur camera + splice power/ground to the reverse cam and it will work properly.

THE GOOD - headUnit Reverse trigger Input functions properly (pink input cable) - you will need to confirm this.
-
Connect a *VERIFIED* 12V+ power signal to the PINK pin 20 reverse cable on the harness directly connected to the PX6 HU.

My HU and screen did go black (reverse input mode). This will CONFIRM that your HU reverse trigger MODE works correctly provided it is sent a proper 12+V signal

MAKE SURE "prohibit reverse" is set to "enable" in the secret factory menu - having helped a few others with their reverse trigger, I have not encountered ANYONE whose reverse trigger didnt work PROVIDED "prohibit reverse" is set properly in the secret menu.

(STEP 3) THE SOLUTION - wire the PINK reverse input wire on the HU harness to a confirmed 12V reverse signal from the car directly (not from the non functioning canBus adapter).
----
  • REVERSE TAILLIGHT HARNESS 12+v trigger (black + blue cable).
- 12v reverse control signal that activates the reverse lights in the tail light harness itself. There is one in both taillights passenger / driver. I would RECOMMEND USING THE PASSENGER SIDE (for the EU cars, this is the side that DOES NOT HAVE THE COOLANT TANK). You will need to fish the reverse light cables into the cabin thru the rear fire wall and if you use the driver side taillight harness it will be alot harder to see where/what you are fishing.
  • Attach the reverse camera to the license plate bulb (assuming you purchased that specific mount).
  • Don't forget to swap the licence plate bulb lights etc. You can fish the reverse light cable from the rear bumper to the passenger rear taillight (passenger as in passenger for NA cars, driver for EU cars). THE REAR BUMPER NEEDS NOT TO BE REMOVED FOR ANY WIRE FISHING.
  • attached nearbyto the reverse camera itself there is a RED + BLACK wire that needs to be spliced.
  • the BLACK wire is just the ground/earth. SPLICE THE BLACK wire COMING OUT OF THE REVERSE CAM into the passenger tailLight harness THICK BROWN wire. i dont use wire taps as I am old school, so I do the splices manually... dont forget to use LOTS of electrical tape for shielding + waterproofing.
  • the RED wire is the reverse trigger 12v+ signal itself. This signal will turn on the reverse camera. (Here, we just piggy back the exact same signal that turns on the reverse light in the taillight). SPLICE THE RED wire COMING OUT OF THE REVERSE CAM INTO THE passenger light tailLight harness BLACK + BLUE wire. i would highly recommend using the taillight that is NOT CLOSE TO THE COOLANT TANK as you will have less visual access when fishing the wires thru the rear grommet.
from here do the typical fishing of this cable into the rear firewall.

PX6 CONNECTIONS
  • After getting the cable up into the cabin , plug the yellow VIDEO output Cable of the reverse cam into the yellow RCA input of the pX6 labeled 'CAM or CAMERA' (this should be attached to the harness that the canBus adapter is plugged into, not the giant plethora of RCA cables)
  • now take the red wire that is attached to the reverse cams YELLOW rca output cable and splice it into the PINK px6 cable called REVERSE. Here you are feeding the reverse camera trigger sensor of the PX6 the reverse taillight signal. The PX6 will flip into reverse screen mode immediately once receiving this signal
  • in the px6 settings, there are a few settings you can turn on / adjust. 1) you can flip the screen (in case you are seeing the mirror image of the reverse camera) 2) grid lines (i set mine to "1" - shortest lines) 3) reverse volume attenuation (i set mine to "-5" so the volume turns down when you reverse).
if you have gone thru the reverse trigger trouble shooting i have written above - i cant see any reason why it will work NOT work on the first try.

Last edited by myw; 07-26-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:52 PM
911's
Advanced

i get this sign on the screen when i shift into reverse, so that means reverse trigger is working properly but no camera

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!