Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 11:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Arbie
Found a video that said A was for Cayennes and the B for 987. But anyway, at least now I know that you would need either of those and not both. So I guess whatever fits the car wins! Found videos that had A and B are on one harness together that some had to cut off the one they don't use, mine came in two separate harnesses.
Re the Red ACC MOST connection, old posts from myw here and on the 997 group said that it goes to the Blue ANT wire. The post is old so I'm wondering if that's still correct and I'm trying to find a more recent post/install specifically Owtosin Qualcomm with Bose 987 as I understand it can vary with what HU and car's sound package.
The red wire is just a 12V ACC switched power wire. It can connect to any 12V switched source - if the ANT wire goes hot when the car is turned on, then you can connect it to that if it is easier.

Here is the wiring instruction sheet that came with my MOST box:

As you can see, there are three wires - all are for power and have nothing to do with BOSE or sound. The red wire goes hot when the car is turned on. The yellow wire is always hot (this is so that any memory etc is retained when the car is turned off). The black wire is ground. Just splice them into the same wires on the harness.

Old 01-13-2024, 04:27 PM
Arbie
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That makes sense! Thanks. That helped a lot.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (01-13-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 10:25 AM
Arbie
7th Gear

Originally Posted by beantownrich
In the APN screen its already set and selected. But then instead of showing bars it shows emergency calls only. T-Mobile claims the IMEI is carrier locked, but when I ran the IMEI it seems like its more just not compatible with their network/what they're looking for. I dug around the XDA forums for a while and saw two potential solutions. Spoof the IMEI which I can't do since I'm not rooted and also feels wrong or get the SIM card to activate on another device and then swap it back over. So I ordered a $14 T-Mobile hotspot to see if that does the trick. I've also seen that the cables could have poor connections in the head unit, but I'm not ready to open it yet to investigate.
Did you get your T-Mobile working? I still have to dig around more but mine won't work either.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:36 AM
Arbie
7th Gear

Hi everyone. Has anybody has T-Mobile work on their Owtosin unit? At this point I just want to know if it's network compatibility issues. My next step will be going to Verizon and asking if they have a sample sim card to se if that works. I spent 2 hours with T-mobile support yesterday not counting my own tinkering in the settings. I just don't want to spend more time if it's impossible to get working anyway. Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2024, 12:50 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Hi everyone. Has anybody has T-Mobile work on their Owtosin unit? At this point I just want to know if it's network compatibility issues. My next step will be going to Verizon and asking if they have a sample sim card to se if that works. I spent 2 hours with T-mobile support yesterday not counting my own tinkering in the settings. I just don't want to spend more time if it's impossible to get working anyway. Please let me know. Thanks!
A SIM card should work on any network that is supported by your region or country. So if the T-Mobile won't work there is every chance that neither will the Verizon, nor any other. Your HU can't lock out a particular provider. I think it is a good idea to try a Verizon (or any other SIM card that isn't T-Mobile) but be prepared for it also not to work.

I am not familiar with the Owtosin unit, but you may find that if you check all the menus, including any Factory settings that need an unlock code) there may be some action you need to take to set your unit up for your region. This menu exists in both of my (different make) units here, and you should find settings for North America (1 & 2), Europe, Asia etc. Make sure your unit is set to the right one for your country. For example, where I am, the UK uses different GSM bands than the USA. I can't recall if the US is N America 1 or 2, so try both. There's a good chance that the unit left the factory set for Asia or Europe. If you do find a setting for this, change it and then reboot your unit for it to take effect.

It's worth a try anyway. The other possibilities are 1) a broken SIM card carrier, 2) the SIM incorrectly inserted - upside down etc and 3) the HU is malfunctioning. I assume you will have 2) covered, but you can check the physical appearance of the SIM card holder by peering through the slot etc.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:31 PM
Arbie
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ZedZed
A SIM card should work on any network that is supported by your region or country. So if the T-Mobile won't work there is every chance that neither will the Verizon, nor any other. Your HU can't lock out a particular provider. I think it is a good idea to try a Verizon (or any other SIM card that isn't T-Mobile) but be prepared for it also not to work.

I am not familiar with the Owtosin unit, but you may find that if you check all the menus, including any Factory settings that need an unlock code) there may be some action you need to take to set your unit up for your region. This menu exists in both of my (different make) units here, and you should find settings for North America (1 & 2), Europe, Asia etc. Make sure your unit is set to the right one for your country. For example, where I am, the UK uses different GSM bands than the USA. I can't recall if the US is N America 1 or 2, so try both. There's a good chance that the unit left the factory set for Asia or Europe. If you do find a setting for this, change it and then reboot your unit for it to take effect.

It's worth a try anyway. The other possibilities are 1) a broken SIM card carrier, 2) the SIM incorrectly inserted - upside down etc and 3) the HU is malfunctioning. I assume you will have 2) covered, but you can check the physical appearance of the SIM card holder by peering through the slot etc.

Hi Zed, Thanks for the info.
Here's what I got.

"A SIM card should work on any network that is supported by your region or country. So if the T-Mobile won't work there is every chance that neither will the Verizon, nor any other. Your HU can't lock out a particular provider. I think it is a good idea to try a Verizon (or any other SIM card that isn't T-Mobile) but be prepared for it also not to work."

It's more like T-Mobile not supporting the device and not the other way around. They've done it on one of my phones that used to work and suddenly got dropped. Deemed it too "old" while it's newer than an iPhone 6 that still works on their network. Whatever, i got over it. LOL Anyway, that's why I wanted to confirm in the forum if anybody with T-mobile got it to work.

"I am not familiar with the Owtosin unit, but you may find that if you check all the menus, including any Factory settings that need an unlock code) there may be some action you need to take to set your unit up for your region. This menu exists in both of my (different make) units here, and you should find settings for North America (1 & 2), Europe, Asia etc. Make sure your unit is set to the right one for your country. For example, where I am, the UK uses different GSM bands than the USA. I can't recall if the US is N America 1 or 2, so try both. There's a good chance that the unit left the factory set for Asia or Europe. If you do find a setting for this, change it and then reboot your unit for it to take effect."

I did check this yesterday and it was set to Europe. Changed it to America 1. I do think this is FM/AM radio frequency range, but with your advice I did try switching it to America 2 to see if it helps. Unfortunately, still didn't make any difference.

As for the other points in regards to the SIM card and tray, the HU does see it. It sees the phone number of the SIM and T-Mobile is displayed in settings, it just doesn't have service. Pretty much the same situation as my "old" android phone. APNs seem to be set automatically and it all say T-Mobile. Tapping on "Mobile Data" in settings just says, T-mobile does not have provisioning website or something. T-Mobile support even changed the service from Voice to Data Only (for tablets and other devices) but that didn't work either.

Are you using your cel service for your HU?
Old 01-15-2024, 02:26 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Hi Zed, Thanks for the info.

I did check this yesterday and it was set to Europe. Changed it to America 1. I do think this is FM/AM radio frequency range, but with your advice I did try switching it to America 2 to see if it helps. Unfortunately, still didn't make any difference.
There is also a setting like that for the FM network, but check that you have, or don't have a separate setting for the cellular phone network. It's a long shot I admit but hey, it's free

As for the other points in regards to the SIM card and tray, the HU does see it. It sees the phone number of the SIM and T-Mobile is displayed in settings, it just doesn't have service. Pretty much the same situation as my "old" android phone. APNs seem to be set automatically and it all say T-Mobile. Tapping on "Mobile Data" in settings just says, T-mobile does not have provisioning website or something. T-Mobile support even changed the service from Voice to Data Only (for tablets and other devices) but that didn't work either.
Ah, in that case, if the HU is seeing it, hopefully the Verizon SIM will fix it.

Are you using your cel service for your HU?
No - I am just using a wifi hotspot in my phone for internet on the HU. I have an unlimited plan on my phone so it seemed to me to make sense to just piggyback on that when I needed internet on the HU. But mostly I use Android Auto in the car, so I don't need to enable wifi on the HU itself. Occasionally though, I do want to watch Netflix (not while driving!), which isn't available on AA, so then I just turn on the hotspot and connect the HU to that. I did consider putting a data SIM in the HU, but decide that, for my use situation, it wouldn't be worth the monthly sub.

It's a bummer that T-Mobile aren't supporting HUs running Android 10 or higher - that is hardly an out-of-date OS! Better luck with Verizon I hope.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:41 PM
Arbie
7th Gear

There is also a setting like that for the FM network, but check that you have, or don't have a separate setting for the cellular phone network. It's a long shot I admit but hey, it's free

Ah, in that case, if the HU is seeing it, hopefully the Verizon SIM will fix it.

No - I am just using a wifi hotspot in my phone for internet on the HU. I have an unlimited plan on my phone so it seemed to me to make sense to just piggyback on that when I needed internet on the HU. But mostly I use Android Auto in the car, so I don't need to enable wifi on the HU itself. Occasionally though, I do want to watch Netflix (not while driving!), which isn't available on AA, so then I just turn on the hotspot and connect the HU to that. I did consider putting a data SIM in the HU, but decide that, for my use situation, it wouldn't be worth the monthly sub.

It's a bummer that T-Mobile aren't supporting HUs running Android 10 or higher - that is hardly an out-of-date OS! Better luck with Verizon I hope.
Thanks Zed. I also thought about just going hotspot on my phone to get it over with but I do have an extra line that is not doing anything with my subscription so I figure to use that. But yah, we'll see what happens. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 04:47 PM
minuit997
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve read through the whole thread and it’s been a while since the last mention of which model to get. I have a 997 with Bose. Are you still recommending the 7862 unit from here: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900229496.html or do you recommend the 6215 unit from https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804922986664.html

Thanks so much for all the information!
Old 01-15-2024, 06:46 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by minuit997
I’ve read through the whole thread and it’s been a while since the last mention of which model to get. I have a 997 with Bose. Are you still recommending the 7862 unit from here: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900229496.html or do you recommend the 6215 unit from https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804922986664.html

Thanks so much for all the information!
There are several good alternatives nowadays. Check out this thread for example:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post19218639
Old 01-15-2024, 08:26 PM
minuit997
Banned

There are several good alternatives nowadays. Check out this thread for example:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post19218639
Am I missing something or are those for the 991? I’m looking for the factory look aliexpress android CarPlay unit.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:07 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Am I missing something or are those for the 991? I’m looking for the factory look aliexpress android CarPlay unit.
The thread title is a bit misleading - the thread now covers various cars and a lot of different head units. Plus a ton of advice on wiring etc. There are quite a few units for the 997 besides the Owtosin unit featured here. For example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

All the units are similar, but some hve different specs and features and aftersales service may be better with some brands/sellers than others. Have a good look around before making a decision.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:55 AM
minuit997
Banned

The thread title is a bit misleading - the thread now covers various cars and a lot of different head units. Plus a ton of advice on wiring etc. There are quite a few units for the 997 besides the Owtosin unit featured here. For example:

All the units are similar, but some hve different specs and features and aftersales service may be better with some brands/sellers than others. Have a good look around before making a decision.
There was considerable discussion about the Owtosin unit because a forum member was involved in the development and that’s what I’m asking about. Is there a consensus on the newest and best Otowsin model?

Last edited by minuit997; 01-16-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

There was considerable discussion about the Owtosin unit because a forum member was involved in the development and that’s what I’m asking about. Is there a consensus on the newest and best Otowsin model?
Fair enough. The Owtosin unit seemed to have quite a few issues not present on the units I linked to - specifically regarding the fitment into the car. These may have been resolved now.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:33 AM
minuit997
Banned

Fair enough. The Owtosin unit seemed to have quite a few issues not present on the units I linked to - specifically regarding the fitment into the car. These may have been resolved now.
Which processor is the best for these? I have heard people talking about the 7862.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!