Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 03:24 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelc
Thank you, I will check it out. So that wire needs power going to it, yes?
there should be an unused amp or antenna turn-on wire from the HU main plug which can be fitted there, but you'll need to add a pin to it

on the harnesses I've used, it's an orange wire with a black stripe labeled "AUTO ANT"
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 04:01 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
there should be an unused amp or antenna turn-on wire from the HU main plug which can be fitted there, but you'll need to add a pin to it

on the harnesses I've used, it's an orange wire with a black stripe labeled "AUTO ANT"
Thank you again, I'll check it all out shortly.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:24 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

This is my Owtosin harness, and the thin blue wire is referenced as an antenna wire and that is the wire that is pinned to the thin white amp on wire in my factory harness.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:53 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Ok gentlemen, I 'm happy to report the switching of the power wire corrected all my problems. Thank you sincerely for your guidance. All i need to do is wire up my back up camera and i can put the whole thing back together.
The following 4 users liked this post by Michaelc:
Graufuchs (10-28-2023), MattDevoCustoms (10-28-2023), myw (03-22-2024), ZedZed (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 11:03 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by Michaelc
Ok gentlemen, I 'm happy to report the switching of the power wire corrected all my problems. Thank you sincerely for your guidance. All i need to do is wire up my back up camera and i can put the whole thing back together.
See my posts earlier in this thread for that -- you definitely need to add the camera +12v power wire to the plug, it's missing from the factory.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:35 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the help here! Project complete!

The following 5 users liked this post by Michaelc:
BruceH (10-29-2023), Graufuchs (10-30-2023), MattDevoCustoms (10-30-2023), myw (11-21-2023), ZedZed (10-29-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:26 PM
dxb9er
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@MattDevoCustoms is there a black version of the headunit that you recommend?
Old 10-31-2023, 04:09 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by dxb9er
@MattDevoCustoms is there a black version of the headunit that you recommend?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900236833.html -- color `8G 128G Carplay LTE` for non-Bose, `7862 128G Fiber` for Bose. Both of those are UIS7862s based units. If you'd prefer a Qualcomm one (which I have no experience with, but others here use), then look at the `QUAL 6125B 128G` (or 256G) option.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:58 PM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my unit installed today and amazingly with the help of this thread it worked on the first try. The sound quality is really good. I have a few follow up questions

A few observations
1. I remembered to turn the volume up as loud as I could handle it before removing the PCM. The new radio has good volume control and is bordering on uncomfortably loud at 16~20.
2. I soldered the blue antenna wire from the dual fakra connectors, the antenna wire from the main harness and the ACC wire from the most adapter
3. i reused the microphone from a previously installed tooki bluetooh adapter which is located up in the top of the windshield and tested it with a call to my wife and using it to do text to speech in apple car play and both cases worked great.

now for my questions
1. where do i plug in the front camera? I have the camera RCA adapter and it has a "rock cam" adapter is that the right one? Is there a trigger wire to turn on the camera?
2. the set screw that you loosen with the 7mm had been previously removed and I don't have the one for either side, is that the only way to lock the radio in place? I used the 3d printed rails and they worked fine and center the radio nicely but there is nothing that prevents it from sliding in/out.
3. is there anyway to change the buttons on the default launcher to more useful buttons? i.e. i don't need "music" and would prefer that button to be carplay
4. can I map specific apps to the buttons on the bottom? I.E. could I map carplay or google maps to the hard buttons on the bottom?
5. i did all of the work in my garage and the GPS signal never updated the clock, where is the best place to locate the GPS antenna?
Old 11-05-2023, 07:45 PM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
i got my unit installed today and amazingly with the help of this thread it worked on the first try. The sound quality is really good. I have a few follow up questions

A few observations
1. I remembered to turn the volume up as loud as I could handle it before removing the PCM. The new radio has good volume control and is bordering on uncomfortably loud at 16~20.
2. I soldered the blue antenna wire from the dual fakra connectors, the antenna wire from the main harness and the ACC wire from the most adapter
3. i reused the microphone from a previously installed tooki bluetooh adapter which is located up in the top of the windshield and tested it with a call to my wife and using it to do text to speech in apple car play and both cases worked great.

now for my questions
1. where do i plug in the front camera? I have the camera RCA adapter and it has a "rock cam" adapter is that the right one? Is there a trigger wire to turn on the camera?
2. the set screw that you loosen with the 7mm had been previously removed and I don't have the one for either side, is that the only way to lock the radio in place? I used the 3d printed rails and they worked fine and center the radio nicely but there is nothing that prevents it from sliding in/out.
3. is there anyway to change the buttons on the default launcher to more useful buttons? i.e. i don't need "music" and would prefer that button to be carplay
4. can I map specific apps to the buttons on the bottom? I.E. could I map carplay or google maps to the hard buttons on the bottom?
5. i did all of the work in my garage and the GPS signal never updated the clock, where is the best place to locate the GPS antenna?
for those that like me find them selves having to replace the set screw this is what I did and it worked. I ended up using an M4x20mm. I used a tap and from the inside tapped out the hole to M4 specs. From the outside i was able to screw in an m4x20 and it's a bit longer than it needs to be but does eventually tighten into the chassis of the radio.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:06 PM
acollen
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed one of these units and am generally happy with the performance and still need to spend some time familiarizing myself with the unit and customizing.

one question has come forward, and that is the volume level. It is reasonably loud at the highest volume (30 on the 0-30 scale) but not as loud as it was with the old PCM unit. I see in one of the responses to this thread that they recommend setting the PCM to the highest volume prior to removal….I didn’t do that….am I stuck now with the current range or is there a way to increase the volume without reinstalling the PCM?
Old 11-08-2023, 04:32 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acollen
I just installed one of these units and am generally happy with the performance and still need to spend some time familiarizing myself with the unit and customizing.

one question has come forward, and that is the volume level. It is reasonably loud at the highest volume (30 on the 0-30 scale) but not as loud as it was with the old PCM unit. I see in one of the responses to this thread that they recommend setting the PCM to the highest volume prior to removal….I didn’t do that….am I stuck now with the current range or is there a way to increase the volume without reinstalling the PCM?

Sorry to jump on this topic, but it is associated, but I have the opposite problem….. my installation has resulted in the volume being TOO LOUD even at the lowest setting.
Any ideas folks?
Old 11-08-2023, 11:09 AM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Originally Posted by acollen

you might need to pull the PCM out and plug it in and turn up the volume and try again. With mine i turned up to the point where it was uncomfortable to my ear with the car off in the garage. In practice I find that the volume of around 15 is a good critical listening level.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:16 AM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jabamusic
Sorry to jump on this topic, but it is associated, but I have the opposite problem….. my installation has resulted in the volume being TOO LOUD even at the lowest setting.
Any ideas folks?
What options does your car have? Does it have ASK/Bose/base audio? have you adjusted the voice settings down in the factory settings (settings>car settings>factory settings code is 126) and click the "voice"

check out these two posts (they are posts from earlier in this thread that speaks directly to your problem)
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18734318
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18737135

Old 11-12-2023, 09:17 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Any ideas folks?
Try going into:
Setting > Sound > Power Conditioning.

You can change the 'loudness' through the Power Conditioning settings

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!