Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 01:33 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Modern day vehicle DAS such as Motec, are sampling at such a high rate over multiple channels, it can really give some fantastic insights into what the engine is doing, and its overall health. So yours is more of a track focused car than a street/track car? 200hrs works out to 600 20 minute sessions... many sessions.
Yeah my car is a track car, but it is registered on the street/insured as a road car so I can drive it somewhere if I really wanted to. I drove it to and from the dyno last time I was there to get extra part throttle low load data for tuning purposes. No emissions or inspections here anymore so no problems keeping it registered. I don't run slicks due to class rules so my tires are street tires. I don't really count street miles towards the operating hours since they are so few and far between and usually under very low loads. The testing I did over the weekend was on the road, cheaper to drive 5 mins to a low traffic road to test a handful of things than pay for a track day or dyno rental...

With the airboxes inside the cabin, 4" exhaust setup, everything solid mounted, no sound deadening anywhere, stiff suspension, etc it is a bit much to drive around often though.
Old 06-18-2024, 01:42 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Did some testing.. turns out these turbo motors do like the high rpm after all

Pretty friggin sweet! I love it!!
Old 06-18-2024, 02:48 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
It's just that kind of situation that made me think of the pedal cluster, and for some inexplicable reason that I may have just lost that pin at the top of the pedal. Probably not so lucky. The loss of pedal was so "sudden" and with no weird clutch action preceding so it came to mind. I also had the good fortune to have been home when the latest mystery failure occurred. In fact, I'm three for three for failures at home requiring flatbed tows. Some small saving grace.
Well, I was right! ( for once )

The pivot pin at the pedals somehow became undone and that caused the pedal to hit the floor ( doh ). I had an inkling that's all my "problem" was and I searched for it thinking that's what had happened, and could not find the gold c-clip that attaches the pivot pin to the master cyl under the dash. It's tough to see/work down there even for a midget. I tow the car 150 miles and my tech could not find it either.

My tech fixed the pin cannabalized a parts car in his shop for the c-clip and - 1/2 hour labor! and that includes throwing in a new paper Mahle air filter element.

I did good and the God(s) of Porsche smiled on me today.

Last edited by Lazurus; 06-18-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:02 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
Well, I was right! ( for once )

The pivot pin at the pedals somehow became undone and that caused the pedal to hit the floor ( doh ). I had an inkling that's all my "problem" was and I searched for it thinking that's what had happened, and could not find the gold c-clip that attaches the pivot pin to the master cyl under the dash. It's tough to see/work down there even for a midget. I tow the car 150 miles and my tech could not find it either.

My tech fixed the pin cannabalized a parts car in his shop for the c-clip and - 1/2 hour labor! and that includes throwing in a new paper Mahle air filter element.

I did good and the God(s) of Porsche smiled on me today.
Im glad you had a simple fix. A strange feeling when the clutch suddenly drops to the floor.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:10 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Im glad you had a simple fix. A strange feeling when the clutch suddenly drops to the floor.
Yes and a horrible feeling at that. Stranger still was my correct intuition that although it could have been at least 9 other things. I suspected it was at the pedal(s) all along! It's funny how when you own these a long time even if all I'm capable of is replacing my MAF! I still kind of had a sense it was linkage related and not clutch hydraulics related.

The threads of others who went before me didn't hurt either! It's one for the books. Clutch Master Pivot Pin Failure
The following users liked this post:
autobonrun (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:43 PM
vtec_
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Finally got these 964RS motor mounts installed. The car feels way more solid in turns, almost like a sway bar was installed. Shifting also seems to be a bit more crisp as well.

pfbz (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,976 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Yeah my car is a track car, but it is registered on the street/insured as a road car so I can drive it somewhere if I really wanted to. I drove it to and from the dyno last time I was there to get extra part throttle low load data for tuning purposes. No emissions or inspections here anymore so no problems keeping it registered. I don't run slicks due to class rules so my tires are street tires. I don't really count street miles towards the operating hours since they are so few and far between and usually under very low loads. The testing I did over the weekend was on the road, cheaper to drive 5 mins to a low traffic road to test a handful of things than pay for a track day or dyno rental...

With the airboxes inside the cabin, 4" exhaust setup, everything solid mounted, no sound deadening anywhere, stiff suspension, etc it is a bit much to drive around often though.
But, I bet you get the looks...
Old 06-18-2024, 08:48 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtec_
Finally got these 964RS motor mounts installed. The car feels way more solid in turns, almost like a sway bar was installed. Shifting also seems to be a bit more crisp as well.

Sounds pretty accurate.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:59 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

But, I bet you get the looks...
I try so hard to be low key and avoid attention.. I used to take all of the aero off if I was going to drive the car on the road anywhere except to the track to try and "blend in". I've given up now, but yeah, frequently see people hanging out of other cars with the camera phone or getting thumbs ups and waves. 992 RS has made wild aero on the street more acceptable I guess.
LinwoodM (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 10:01 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

I put rennline solid motor mounts in my father in law's 997.1TT over the weekend and his thoughts were similar. Car feels much tighter, turns in sharper, less body roll, his is tiptronic and said shifts felt smoother and basically no extra NVH.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:08 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I try so hard to be low key and avoid attention.. I used to take all of the aero off if I was going to drive the car on the road anywhere except to the track to try and "blend in". I've given up now, but yeah, frequently see people hanging out of other cars with the camera phone or getting thumbs ups and waves. 992 RS has made wild aero on the street more acceptable I guess.
Actually, I was thinking about, referring to, the 4" exhaust.... I ran the 3" speed tech x pipe for awhile, and at wide open throttle it screamed. I thought it was pretty quiet other wise, but I'm deaf, and, pretty much everyone else disagreed and said it was loud. Really loud, even though it had cats.

4" open.... Yeeeeeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Old 06-18-2024, 10:53 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Actually, I was thinking about, referring to, the 4" exhaust.... I ran the 3" speed tech x pipe for awhile, and at wide open throttle it screamed. I thought it was pretty quiet other wise, but I'm deaf, and, pretty much everyone else disagreed and said it was loud. Really loud, even though it had cats.

4" open.... Yeeeeeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Ahh yeah. I cant sneak up on anyone.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:25 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There are worse things in life...
Old 06-19-2024, 03:23 PM
vtec_
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I put rennline solid motor mounts in my father in law's 997.1TT over the weekend and his thoughts were similar. Car feels much tighter, turns in sharper, less body roll, his is tiptronic and said shifts felt smoother and basically no extra NVH.
The 997 tips benefit greatly from tcu tune FYI!

Did you have to disable anything with that car? I believe the 997TT has electronic motor mounts no?
Old 06-19-2024, 03:32 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

The 997 tips benefit greatly from tcu tune FYI!

Did you have to disable anything with that car? I believe the 997TT has electronic motor mounts no?
Im not sold on the TCU tunes from any of the data or the videos I've seen. I've been in one that has it done and couldn't honestly tell a difference between it and his stock car. I'm trying to keep him from modding the powertrain much, I don't want to be responsible for upkeep on 2 of these things. So far he has protomotive exhaust, do88 inlets and BMC filter and I think will do 997.2 ICs and maybe a Cobb OTS tune and that should be more than enough. He tracks a few times per year so told him save his money for seat time and consumables.

Nah the 997.1 has same mounts as the 996, the 997.2s have the electronic ones.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?