Sponsored by:

Help! My 996 cab just broke down in an intersection

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyk86cu
Also, the gear shifter did not seem to fit properly when moving between drive, neutral and reverse.
Sorry to hear about the troubles.

However, based on your statement above, I would really be looking at the mechanical shift linkage set up. I know a lot about the ZF Audi transmissions, and if you don't have the mechanical linkage set up correctly, which controls a multi wafer switch along with providing mechanical input into the transmission, it will have symptoms similar to what you state.

I'm not saying this is it, but I would be looking very closely at the procedure on how to set this up and check it twice. I am going to look it up in the manual for my own info.

And having a Durametric is absolutely required (or other scan tool that can read the transmission) so you know what the transmission is seeing.

Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:38 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Been following this thread for a while. Just here to say good luck!

Before the first failure occurred, did you recently change fluids?
Since I took ownership of the vehicle, no.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:49 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,905 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Regardless of what is the issue, my girlfriend has been digging into the laws surrounding used car sales. It specifically states that used cars MUST be sold with a buyers guide with AS IS or WARRANTY checked. The guide must be conspicuously adhered to the windshield or Windows or under the windshield wiper. I was not given this form when I purchased the car. And in every pic I took of the car prior to buying the car the form is nowhere to be found.

Any chance I could go after the dealership over this?
The used car dealer must have had you sign the as is no warranty sheet of paper when you purchased the car - it's the large sheet taped or stuck to the window of the car. they may not have given you a copy but i would almost guarantee they have it in the purchase and sale file with your signature on it. it is a routine procedure with any used car and one of the most important documents to protect the seller.
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker

Am I correct in that this new failure is identical to the original one? What are the odds??
Yes, as far as feel, it was the same.
I'm really just terrified that the car ate Kalash's transmission. If I have to buy another transmission I'm afraid I'm going to have to just tow the car to my garage and let it sit :/ I just can't afford to keep playing this game.
I agree with Toronto... what are the odds? I'd say about 0.00%.

As asked above, what, specifically, was so "trashed" about the first tranny that made it unrebuildable? I'm finding this very hard to believe.

Last edited by Cuda911; 04-18-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,905 Likes on 2,897 Posts

also wanted to reply to the other posts regarding mercedes transmissions - i've owned several MB and both my 2000 E320 & 2003 E320 had transmission issues and both under 100K miles - both models had same issue of kicking into limp mode. lots of info regarding the inherent problem.

point being this issue was directly related to another source not the transmission - one of the sensors was responsible for the problem
Old 04-18-2016, 01:27 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
also wanted to reply to the other posts regarding mercedes transmissions - i've owned several MB and both my 2000 E320 & 2003 E320 had transmission issues and both under 100K miles - both models had same issue of kicking into limp mode. lots of info regarding the inherent problem.

point being this issue was directly related to another source not the transmission - one of the sensors was responsible for the problem
Groov: I'll bet you had the conductor plate problem. It's very common with those transmissions, but also very easy and inexpensive to fix. That's what I had with my 2006 S430 transmission.
The first two times it was in the exalted MBZ indy's shop, it was misdiagnosed. Yet, they still charged me $1,100 for the first repair and over $900 for the second repair. They had my car for 5 weeks the first time and 2 weeks the second time. Bottom line, they clearly didn't know what they were doing even though they are supposedly one of the best MBZ indies in Kansas City. After the second repair didn't fix the problem, that's when I started researching it myself. I saw the conductor plate issue being discussed all over the forums, so I figured I had nothing to lose since the next step the shop was recommending was to replace the transmission altogether. It was a relatively easy 2-hour DIY repair with about $200 in parts and fluids.
To me, it was incredible that they didn't suspect the conductor plate in the first place with the amount of info out there on the problem. It reminds me of the recent thread where the Porsche dealer mechanic started up an engine that was clearly exhibiting IMSB failure symptoms when it was flatbedded into the shop (thankfully that Rennlister had a warranty that covered the engine replacement).
Anyhow, we are talking about a machine - the answer is out there somewhere. OP - your first two mechanics simply haven't found the correct answer. That doesn't mean they are bad people. As others have said, the dealer is spring-loaded to recommend just replacement and I think the transmission guy you are using is just unfamiliar with what he's working on.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:58 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
The used car dealer must have had you sign the as is no warranty sheet of paper when you purchased the car - it's the large sheet taped or stuck to the window of the car. they may not have given you a copy but i would almost guarantee they have it in the purchase and sale file with your signature on it. it is a routine procedure with any used car and one of the most important documents to protect the seller.
I know for a fact that a Buyer's Guide was not attached to the vehicle. And I honestly don't recall signing one. I guess the only way to no for sure would be to ask the dealer to show me the form I signed.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I agree with Toronto... what are the odds? I'd say about 0.00%.

As asked above, what, specifically, was so "trashed" about the first tranny that made it unrebuildable? I'm finding this very hard to believe.
same here. I'd be picking up my car asap now that it can move. gtfo asap and find a competent Porsche mechanic.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:52 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanic just called me. He says that reverse is working and they are able to reverse around in their parking lot. Perhaps I didn't give it enough gas when I tried, but it sure didn't reverse for me. He hooked it up to his computer and it shows that when you put it in whatever gear that the computer knows it's in the correct gear, however none of the gears work.

He is going to get his colleague with the VW/Porsche computer to come scan it as the next step.
This could be very good news. I doubt though that you didn't give it enough gas. More likely he fiddled with it until it engaged. It could be just a mechanical adjustment at this point. At least he seems to be trying.

Still, same symptom twice? I'd want to know specifics on my first tranny. Just saying...
Old 04-18-2016, 02:55 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
same here. I'd be picking up my car asap now that it can move. gtfo asap and find a competent Porsche mechanic.
I've found a guy who does soley Porsches and he sounded extremely knowledgeable. However, even he admitted that transmission problems are so rare with these cars that he doesn't have much experience with working on the trans.

At lest he'll be able to troubleshoot rather than blindly guessing. I'm going to give my current Indie a chance to have his buddy run his VW/Porcsche computer on it and then I'm gonna request they tow it there.

The Porsche Indie did recommend disconnecting the battery for a minute and see if that reset the control module. I passed that along to the joke indie and he said now there is reverse in reverse and also neutral! What the hell?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:36 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way, most likely the reason the coolant was low was because he did not know how to properly bleed the cooling system after he hooked up the ATF cooler. Just another reason to stick to dealers or indies that know Porsches. Best is to stick to indies that know 996/997s as some specialize in the air-cooled cars and while still better than a non-Porsche shop, they may not know some of the gottchas of the early water-cooled 911s. Dealers are great but they rarely do used parts or fixes, they swap modules.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:46 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to ask the dealer to show me the form I signed.
Before you do this, may I suggest that you dig up the stack/bundle of paperwork you got after you bought the car. I am 996% sure they gave you a copy of everything you signed/initialled.

Best of luck
Old 04-18-2016, 05:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Don't jump from shop to shop anymore without knowing exactly how good the next shop is. That's how you go into this situation in the first place. Let the transmission shop see what they can do and go from there. Since you said the sifter didn't feel right when you picked it up, why did you pay and then drive away? Old exotic cars can get really expensive when you don't know how to fix them. So for the future, start a savings account for the repairs or learn how to fix it yourself.

If you think that "as-is" legislation will protect you, I don't think it will work at all. A piece of paper that was or wasn't on the windshield is irrelevant.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:50 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Don't jump from shop to shop anymore without knowing exactly how good the next shop is. That's how you go into this situation in the first place. Let the transmission shop see what they can do and go from there. Since you said the sifter didn't feel right when you picked it up, why did you pay and then drive away?
I didn't take note of the shifter feeling off until the car broke down again.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:16 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by kromdom
Before you do this, may I suggest that you dig up the stack/bundle of paperwork you got after you bought the car. I am 996% sure they gave you a copy of everything you signed/initialled.

Best of luck
Believe me, I scoured every paper I've ever received from this dealership. A buyers guide is no where to be found. Me gf even drive by the dealer today after work and noticed that NONE of the used cars had the Buyers Guide posted.

Quick Reply: Help! My 996 cab just broke down in an intersection