Help! My 996 cab just broke down in an intersection

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Indiana like my avatar says.
Wow Pete, nice guy to offer up your lift and mechanical skills.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:36 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So I finally received the quotes from my transmission guy. According to him the transmission is completely destroyed and not capable of being rebuilt. He gave me a few options for getting a used transmission or remanufactured one and the cheapest option was still over $10,000.

So with that, I had decided to pay the transmission guy what I owe him for "diagnosising" the issue, accept Kalash's generous offer and tow the car to Porsche and just let them install the transmission because I really didn't want this guy working on the car anymore. They quoted me about $1300 to put the new trans in given the old one is already out.

I get to the shop to tow my car and he points out the car is immovable. It's on one of his two lifts with a jack holding the engine up. Without the transmission there's nothing left to support the weight of the engine so it can't be towed. Also, the entire rear suspension is disassembled so he'd have to put that back on for the car to even roll.

With that said, I'm just going to let him do the work. Including the costs of him removing and tearing down the old trans, he's charging me aound 1800 for everything. Which at least would be cheaper than paying him a 1000 for the "tear down of the old one" and then 1300 to the Porsche dealer.

Kalash's transmission should arrive in NC around next Wed or Thursday. I'm looking very much forward to this nightmare ending. It was quite disappointing when I received my new plates and a second garage at my apartment complex with no car to put them on or in
Old 04-07-2016, 01:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,856 Likes on 2,876 Posts

i would suggest keeping a positive attitude with the shop holding your car hostage. better to keep the peace and get the install completed.
if you tally the numbers, with the great deal on the used transmission your total costs (used tranny/shipping/labor)will basically add up to the cost of a good used transmission w/o install so you are going to be ahead of the game - this could have easily been a $5-$6000 expenditure.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:55 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
i would suggest keeping a positive attitude with the shop holding your car hostage. better to keep the peace and get the install completed.
I certainly agree. Even when telling him I wanted Porsche to finish the work I was very nice. My reasoning to him was that the car might need to be towed to a third party to have the transmission synced to the ECU and Porsche would be able to do that in house if required.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:56 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyk86cu
So I finally received the quotes from my transmission guy. According to him the transmission is completely destroyed and not capable of being rebuilt. He gave me a few options for getting a used transmission or remanufactured one and the cheapest option was still over $10,000.

So with that, I had decided to pay the transmission guy what I owe him for "diagnosising" the issue, accept Kalash's generous offer and tow the car to Porsche and just let them install the transmission because I really didn't want this guy working on the car anymore. They quoted me about $1300 to put the new trans in given the old one is already out.

I get to the shop to tow my car and he points out the car is immovable. It's on one of his two lifts with a jack holding the engine up. Without the transmission there's nothing left to support the weight of the engine so it can't be towed. Also, the entire rear suspension is disassembled so he'd have to put that back on for the car to even roll.

With that said, I'm just going to let him do the work. Including the costs of him removing and tearing down the old trans, he's charging me aound 1800 for everything. Which at least would be cheaper than paying him a 1000 for the "tear down of the old one" and then 1300 to the Porsche dealer.

Kalash's transmission should arrive in NC around next Wed or Thursday. I'm looking very much forward to this nightmare ending. It was quite disappointing when I received my new plates and a second garage at my apartment complex with no car to put them on or in
I wish I could say I/We didn't see that coming...The guy's a Scumbag! In any case, given the circumstances, I think Groovzilla's recommendation is a good one...no sense in poisoning the atmosphere now. Chalk it up to experience and move on... Best of Luck
Old 04-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

A transmission shop can remove/install a transmission without issue if they are worth $0.50.

I think you'll be okay....looking forward to a good end to the story!
Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,006 Posts

S

Well, we all here in the forum feel your pain. I don't want to add anymore pain to your experience, but I think overall, you've made a wise decision to purchase the used transmission from Kalash and move on with life. I can empathize with your situation because I've personally been down this road before. I'm not sure about the laws in NC regarding used car sales, but in Georgia, if you sign on the dotted line and drive the car off the lot, it's yours warts and all. The law provides very little protection in these situations. It would have to be outright fraud for a court to even hear a case like this in Georgia... we're not talking small claims here. There used to be a "Cooling off" law in Georgia that allowed you 3 business days and if you wanted to return the vehicle, you could for any reason. But now, that law has been abolished due to political pressure from the dealers. Anyway, don't let yourself feel like you've purchased a lemon. Get the shop to give you some sort of warranty and go enjoy the car. It's a beautiful machine that experienced an anomaly. Most wouldn't be surprised if it were the IMS, but of all the problems I've read about in the past few years, I've never heard about catastrophic failure of the tiptronic transmissions with a low miles MkII 996. I'm sure others on the forum may have a different opinion. But again, I've seen your car and it looks just like mine. I've taken advice from so many here on the forum and one thing I remember, is DON'T drink the "Porsche-it-will-die-any-minute" Kool Aid.

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 AM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Kalash just sent me this. Man, is it a beautiful sight.

Name:  klVTkaj.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  34.6 KB
Old 04-08-2016, 10:31 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I certainly agree. Even when telling him I wanted Porsche to finish the work I was very nice. My reasoning to him was that the car might need to be towed to a third party to have the transmission synced to the ECU and Porsche would be able to do that in house if required.
So can he guarantee you that he'll be able to sync the new tranny as part of the original estimate?

This type of tactic of some shops disassembling everything to keep the car hostage at their shop seems to be prevelent these days.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

And beautifully packaged! 👍 Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of your nightmare! 😎
Old 04-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks a little creepy to me haha

Old 04-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

^^^ Needs more straps.

And a spatula.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 113 Posts

Did he charge you extra for the straps or do you have to send them back?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Whoowy am I different that the crowd here. If a place has already bent me around on the time spent, and the cost of stuff where I now KNOW that they are crooks I would just tell him to get it off the lift, and set it on a flat tow and get it out of there. Make sure you get all your parts, trans, etc and take it away as soon as possible. Put some used tires on the flat, and set it on that then deal with the car somewhere else.

After getting it done, I'd consider going after the shop in small claims(depending on amount) and make him defend his story. Kinda hard to see a guy taking this kind of screwing mostly because he drives a nice car, and is a nice guy. I'm pretty steamed, but I guess that's what the world comes to expect.

YMMV, don't try this at home, contents have settled and may cause **** leakage.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trans got picked up few minutes ago. En route to Kk.

Name:  IMG_20160408_171205_zpstu6ilxel.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  219.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20160408_171215_zpsczflcf31.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  219.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20160408_171233_zpsrnafnuq8.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  216.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20160408_171242_zpsd0flc4jr.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  218.5 KB