996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump UIDS v2.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 06:33 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,589 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Your questions don't annoy me, I can tell a troll when I see one... Ask them again one at a time so we can discuss them starting with the most important/misunderstood one to you...

I can always find a way to improve on something if I look at it hard enough for long enough...I have been around for a while in this stuff ( 50 years)...

Most are just interested in instant gratification....not the actual development...

The data will speak for its self...more to come

There was a little blip in the data that was shown, and while small some made a big deal out of it and this baffle is designed to eliminate it ( even though the engine in that data was only running 8 qts oil)

But in discussing a dynamic design, it is a fluid discussion of moments in time of changing dimensions/volumes/forces .....Like if I say the Ocean is deep , the Ocean is shallow, the Ocean is calm, the Ocean is violent, the Ocean is dangerous, the Ocean in life-saving , the Ocean is Green , the Ocean is blue..They may sound contradictory but they are in fact all true....You must be a believer and open to accept the facts..

The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
jdbornem (04-16-2023), Kdon (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 08:29 PM
Kdon
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Your questions don't annoy me, I can tell a troll when I see one... Ask them again one at a time so we can discuss them starting with the most important/misunderstood one to you...

I can always find a way to improve on something if I look at it hard enough for long enough...I have been around for a while in this stuff ( 50 years)...

Most are just interested in instant gratification....not the actual development...

The data will speak for its self...more to come

There was a little blip in the data that was shown, and while small some made a big deal out of it and this baffle is designed to eliminate it ( even though the engine in that data was only running 8 qts oil)

But in discussing a dynamic design, it is a fluid discussion of moments in time of changing dimensions/volumes/forces .....Like if I say the Ocean is deep , the Ocean is shallow, the Ocean is calm, the Ocean is violent, the Ocean is dangerous, the Ocean in life-saving , the Ocean is Green , the Ocean is blue..They may sound contradictory but they are in fact all true....You must be a believer and open to accept the facts..

Man, kudos to you. Most people aren't as open and willing to listen. Honestly, it's a big issue in our civic discourse outside of this forum. Not to get too off topic but thank you, we need more of that in general.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kdon:
Tangerine Dream (03-06-2023), wdb (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:05 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kdon
Man, kudos to you. Most people aren't as open and willing to listen. Honestly, it's a big issue in our civic discourse outside of this forum. Not to get too off topic but thank you, we need more of that in general.
Yea it can be daunting at times though......this is not the best way to introduce a new device...and it has never been done this way before

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImpishPotableIndigobunting.mp4

Last edited by Porschetech3; 03-03-2023 at 09:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kdon (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:25 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

As you know the UIDS Twin Tunnel Port design gives great performance even without the updated baffle. Yes it can handle all the G forces put on it without loosing oil pressure..And the Sail/baffle that is on it has shown to to deliver outstanding slosh control as shown by Geoffs data where is oil pressure is rock solid through very grueling Track Day on a very fast car with a very competent driver ...

But anything can be improved upon..

To give a brief description of some of the features of this updated baffle here is a diagram of the engine when in a 1G lateral turn..The level is at a 45 degree angle in the sump...

The Baffle design is to deal mostly with the lower 2 inches of the oil volume shown in the green box...All the oil above the 2 inch box is free to flow to center or the other side when necessary...The oil is free to flow into the green box but the rubber viton flap blocks it from flowing out.

What happens in race situations in "certain circumstances" is that when coming DOWN from the 45* angle to level IF coming out of a turn very quickly to level, since the valve hasn't switched because the valve hasn't had a reason to switch, it just has seen a high G to no G ( 1G to 0G ) If it had gone from 1G left to 1G right the valve would simple switch.........the oil doesn't just go to level.....it carries on to the other side and takes most of the other oil with it...It's called surface tension...It drags the oil with it..

With this baffle design the oil in the green box ( 2 inches) will stay in place and will not be effected by the surface tension and slosh...The baffle design breaks the surface tension..

Green box oil area to control .....also green hole where oil will escape if over 1G

very large sump vent hole that oil will escape if over 1G

updated baffle showing control of lower 2 inches with flow through above 2 inches and viton float valve

viton rubber float valve will float up and stop oil from escaping the sump is over 1G

I wonder how many smart people have looked at the large vent hole and not thought to much about it.....If you look and think about the sump design as much as I have in the last 2 years it is clear that oil will escape through that 1.25in hole if you exceed 1G in a turn and just about anyone on a track with decent tires can exceed 1G some will get over 1.5G......

Also a very jerky driver will have moments of high G if they are very jerky going straight or in turns...

The angles above the lower 2 inches are 35* and 53* and represent the braking forces and the acceleration forces,

The 53* angle represents the braking angle and the 35* represents the acceleration angle , These angles are reversed for the Cayamn/Boxster specific baffles as are the Tunnel Ports in the sump themselves..

These 35* and 53* angle allows the oil that is kept in the lower 2 inches in the port section to climb the front or back sump walls without spilling over into the center section under braking or acceleration

This is just a small portion of the design and the thought that has gone into it........

Last edited by Porschetech3; 03-04-2023 at 03:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
EVOMMM (03-04-2023), GC996 (03-04-2023), jdbornem (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:48 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
To give a brief description of some of the features of this baffle here is a diagram of the engine when in a 1G lateral turn..The level is at a 45 degree angle in the sump...

The Baffle design is to deal mostly with the lower 2 inches of the oil volume shown in the green box...All the oil above the 2 inch box is free to flow to center or the other side when necessary...The oil is free to flow into the green box but the rubber viton flap blocks it from flowing out.

What happens in race situations in "certain circumstances" is that when coming DOWN from the 45* angle to level IF coming out of a turn very quickly to level......the oil doesn't just go to level.....it carries on to the other side and takes all the other oil with it...It's called surface tension...It drags the oil with it..

With this baffle design the oil in the green box ( 2 inches) will stay in place and will not be effected by the surface tension and slosh...

Green box oil area to control .....also green hole where oil will escape if over 1G

very large sump vent hole that oil will escape if over 1G

updated baffle showing control of lower 2 inches with flow through above 2 inches and viton float valve

viton rubber float valve will float up and stop oil from escaping the sump is over 1G

I wonder how many smart people have looked at the large vent hole and not thought to much about it.....If you look and think about the sump design as much as I have in the last 2 years it is clear that oil will escape through that 1.25in hole if you exceed 1G in a turn and just about anyone on a track with decent tires can exceed 1G some will get over 1.5G......

Also a very jerky driver will have moments of high G if they are very jerky going straight or in turns...

The angles above the lower 2 inches are 35* and 53* and represent the braking forces and the acceleration forces,

The 53* angle represents the braking angle and the 35* represents the acceleration angle , These angles are reversed for the Cayamn/Boxster specific baffles as are the Tunnel Ports in the sump themselves..

These 35* and 53* angle allows the oil that is kept in the lower 2 inches in the port section to climb the front or back sump walls without spilling over into the center section under braking or acceleration

This is just a small portion of the design and the thought that has gone into it........
You sir are a wealth of knowledge, you have an incredible not too common process of analyzing and thinking thru problems. Thanks you for your patience with some of us that can ask irritating questions. Porsche should actually give you an emeritus PHD.
The following 4 users liked this post by 3/98 911 coupe:
Formerly996fried (03-04-2023), GC996 (03-09-2023), JW in Texas (06-01-2024), Tangerine Dream (03-06-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 02:38 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
You sir are a wealth of knowledge, you have an incredible not too common process of analyzing and thinking thru problems. Thanks you for your patience with some of us that can ask irritating questions. Porsche should actually give you an emeritus PHD.
Thanks Louis, but I don't expect any recognition from Porsche, although I did get an Honorary Doctorate from Rennlist ...
The following 5 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
diddy2003 (03-13-2023), dporto (03-04-2023), EVOMMM (03-04-2023), GC996 (04-16-2023), Tangerine Dream (03-06-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 11:16 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 88 Posts

I just completed my install of the UIDS on my 2003 Carrera. The install was easy, everything fit as it should. I have a local road that has a nice, decent speed sweeping turn that I had seen oil pressure drop on the dash gauge. Once the install was complete, I filled with 10 quarts of DT40, with new oil filter. 10 quarts registered full on the early (+.5 qt) dipstick. After 3 or 4 quick starts/stops to build oil pressure, I went out and slowly warmed the car. Once warm, proceeded to the local road. I am happy to report that I had no visible oil pressure drops on the sweeping turn, going either direction.

Here are pics of the install, including several to show how the bottom of the sump is in relation to the rest of the underbody.

-Tom
The following 3 users liked this post by tommelton:
GC996 (04-15-2023), golock911 (04-16-2023), Porschetech3 (04-16-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 11:50 PM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Are those the updated parts everyone is supposed to receive that originally didn’t?
Old 04-16-2023, 12:17 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Yes, this is the updated baffles..

There are over 150 drilled holes with over 50 rivets, 20 pieces of rubber, 10 riv-nuts , 40 stainless steel retaining strips, all hand assembled into one sturdy piece..

It takes at least a half a day to assemble a set...

I have all the pieces to assemble enough for everyone except for the stainless steel retaining strips...The water jet cutting machine broke down, and had to have parts ordered for it..

Also there was another medical issue that I wont give details on... It mite upset some people...

I only had enough retaining strips for 3 sets before the water jet blew a hose...But aren't they a work of art ????

Last edited by Porschetech3; 04-16-2023 at 12:41 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
996clubsport (04-16-2023), dporto (04-16-2023), GC996 (04-16-2023), Geoff.T (04-16-2023), golock911 (04-16-2023), JohnCA58 (04-16-2023), Mpfaff (04-16-2023), plpete84 (04-16-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:53 AM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 165 Posts

Skip, I’d still like one when they are available. Thank you. I hope you’re well.
jobyt (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 02:52 AM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by diddy2003
Skip, I’d still like one when they are available. Thank you. I hope you’re well.
same here. Hope all is good with you Skip.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:59 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by diddy2003
Originally Posted by jobyt
same here. Hope all is good with you Skip.
Thank you for being patient, and choosing the best !!

Know anybody that can assemble baffles? Kids nowadays can't keep their face out of their phone long enough to be trained....

Last edited by Porschetech3; 04-16-2023 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:38 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Skip,
A work of art indeed! If you can whip up a set of assembly instructions, I’m sure there are at least a few of us who would be willing to receive a “baffle kit” as opposed to a fully assembled piece (I’ve got a riv-nut tool)… may save you some labor and help clear your schedule a bit. Be well! Good luck
Porschetech3 (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 09:45 AM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

While that’s a great suggestion, I see it as a huge liability for Skip. Considering all the flack he’s received from other members. I feel he has waaaaay too much time invested to trust others to perform the operation to his standards. Just my thought and I know I’m fully capable of building the new baffle design. We all just have to continue to be patient. We’ve already been patient this long, so what’s a little more time going to hurt 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by 996clubsport:
diddy2003 (04-17-2023), Porschetech3 (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 01:52 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Help me out on the baffles, I thought the idea was to allow the oil to move around but have multiple points to recover it. Seems that the baffles are holding the oil in the center.
I'm totally with the product and hoping it’s a smashing success but need a lil bit of clarification

Quick Reply: Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump UIDS v2.2