Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021 | 08:51 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

If you think it's gonna be more expensive in the future you buy it now....and that's what makes it more expensive in the future....sell fulfilling inflation....
Old 05-10-2021 | 10:20 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default You can still get some deals

Originally Posted by Optionman1
If you think it's gonna be more expensive in the future you buy it now....and that's what makes it more expensive in the future....sell fulfilling inflation....
I think most cars at BAt are overpriced. Anyway, I found out about this place in my backyard here in Houston today.

All service records, cream puff , hard top black leather 6 so, $24,000 what’s not to love. Sold Saturday. You could have bought it, listed on Bat probably go for 30.

Only bad thing with this one is a trip, price is negotiable.
Since this place service and restores them some times they are just selling a customers car. Anyway the yellow one sold Saturday for $24,000. I would have bought that one in a second, all service records black leather. The guy told me it was a cream puff. The C4s is a trip but you can problably negotiate it down $2,500. When I buy I buy right, always been that way. Anyway. Cheers.
Old 05-10-2021 | 11:10 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-195/

I'm surprised this went for so much.
Old 05-11-2021 | 12:27 AM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Do a search of Victory motors and you will start off with a BEWARE post. I have stopped by there, just really aloof for no reason, and lots of posts of bad experiences...buyer beware.
Old 05-11-2021 | 01:29 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by HoustonCgrBkr
Do a search of Victory motors and you will start off with a BEWARE post. I have stopped by there, just really aloof for no reason, and lots of posts of bad experiences...buyer beware.
my mechanic who is second at a PCA shop told me the same tonight. More than likely another place where I wouldn’t want to leave my car overnight.
Old 05-11-2021 | 01:47 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Saw mixed reviews

Originally Posted by HoustonCgrBkr
I just did some research, some bad, some good. Anyway since February I have been to 6 Porsche events here in the lone star Region. Anyway I will tell you that most shops get mixed reviews. Anyway my mechanic who I met in Person and used to be part owner of a shop works at his house and I was with him all the way in my first visit. Thanks for the advice , I have traveled and done business in over 100 countries. So as you can imagine I can read people real well, I think I have seen the darkest of the dark anyway this is the reason I’m not in social media. This is different because there are a lot of cool knowledgeable and helpful people. Another cool thing about the Porsche club events people are cool 😎 and they tell it to you like it is, specially the guys that have older cars like ourselves.
The following users liked this post:
HoustonCgrBkr (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 10:24 AM
parris
Pro

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Another record breaker:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...carrera-4s-54/

$55,500 after fees!!!!
One of the thing that amaze me more about the US used car market is how strong factor the mileage is in the selling price. It looks like is the only (or at least the most important) factor to consider, even over the status of the car.
The real difference between a car 20 years old and 20K or 40K miles, is in the way that the previous owners have taken care of it.
In this specific example, the under carriage photos show a lot of rust (some nuts totally rusted) what indicates probably driving in salty roads. Probably a car with twice the mileage can be in equal or even better condition, but people goes crazy just because the number in the odometer.
I can understand that, because you are living in a market driven by mileage, and if you are thinking in your value to sell. But not so much if you are looking on buying the best you can take out of your money.
Same car, with 50K miles, will never reach that price, even if it is in better shape.

Last edited by parris; 05-11-2021 at 10:31 AM.
plpete84 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 10:42 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I just did some research, some bad, some good. Anyway since February I have been to 6 Porsche events here in the lone star Region. Anyway I will tell you that most shops get mixed reviews. Anyway my mechanic who I met in Person and used to be part owner of a shop works at his house and I was with him all the way in my first visit. Thanks for the advice , I have traveled and done business in over 100 countries. So as you can imagine I can read people real well, I think I have seen the darkest of the dark anyway this is the reason I’m not in social media. This is different because there are a lot of cool knowledgeable and helpful people. Another cool thing about the Porsche club events people are cool 😎 and they tell it to you like it is, specially the guys that have older cars like ourselves.
Can't agree more.
HoustonCgrBkr (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 10:43 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by parris
One of the thing that amaze me more about the US used car market is how strong factor the mileage is in the selling price. It looks like is the only (or at least the most important) factor to consider, even over the status of the car.
The real difference between a car 20 years old and 20K or 40K miles, is in the way that the previous owners have taken care of it.
In this specific example, the under carriage photos show a lot of rust (some nuts totally rusted) what indicates probably driving in salty roads. Probably a car with twice the mileage can be in equal or even better condition, but people goes crazy just because the number in the odometer.
I can understand that, because you are living in a market driven by mileage, and if you are thinking in your value to sell. But not so much if you are looking on buying the best you can take out of your money.
Same car, with 50K miles, will never reach that price, even if it is in better shape.
Couldn't agree more with you here. My 85k car has a cleaner underbody. There are many first time P car buyers on BaT that may not be well versed on the details around these cars and that bank on low mileage = good shape, when that is not often true. As we've seen more than a few times, it's the garage queens that develop some of the well known issues. Just like miles, time does its own too.
Old 05-11-2021 | 10:48 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

If you have a car that presents well and you want to sell it for top dollar, then sell it on Bat.

If you are looking for a great car, one that you can thoroughly understand it's condition and buy it for a reasonable price, then you have to work your PCA network, go meet with people, do PPIs, and then and only then buy it.

The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
HoustonCgrBkr (05-11-2021), user 8298308 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 11:18 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default high mileage cars.

Originally Posted by GC996
If you have a car that presents well and you want to sell it for top dollar, then sell it on Bat.

If you are looking for a great car, one that you can thoroughly understand it's condition and buy it for a reasonable price, then you have to work your PCA network, go meet with people, do PPIs, and then and only then buy it.
If you are going to drive it i Prefer higher mileage cars that a bunch work has already been done to them, a lot of those lower mileage cars are on the verge of needing a bunch of stuff, not because of mileage but because of age. The other crap about the bidding sites is that when a bid is in the last two minutes it resets the clock. I make my mind about a car and like a stock I set a buy prize, if I can get it for that i dont get caught in the excitement and the testaterone of winning a bid, thats why a lot of people overpay for the cars. I have an Mba, (also bachelors and Masters in engineering) , i got my MBA in 1993 paid for by Dupont Conoco, anyway the first day of the marketing I class I told the professor A car is a way of transportation it takes you from point a to point b, in my opinion marketing is to construct a story present a product in a way that it justifies paying $30,000 for a BMW, where a 8,000 dollar toyota would do. I retired from Valvoline and Believe me they spend a lot in Marketing, anyway look at how many Valvoline Commercials you see on the You tube Videos.
Old 05-11-2021 | 11:44 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by frederik
I would love a 996.1 GT3 for the looks and the engine, but I need the rear seats and I also enjoy the comfort of my C2 which makes it so usable and fun every day. Which probably proves Jake’s point.
I wanted a 996.1 GT3 until I listened to what Preuninger had to say about them and how many compromises were made just to get it to production. How it was more of a parts bin car and not really a developed full GT3 as we now know them to be. And that the 996.2 GT3 was where they made all those things right. It's early on in the 40min youtube video tour of the GT3 vault he gave to Chris Harris. Great watch in general btw.
Old 05-11-2021 | 12:39 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Vision Motosports will fix improve the 996.1 gt3

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
I wanted a 996.1 GT3 until I listened to what Preuninger had to say about them and how many compromises were made just to get it to production. How it was more of a parts bin car and not really a developed full GT3 as we now know them to be. And that the 996.2 GT3 was where they made all those things right. It's early on in the 40min youtube video tour of the GT3 vault he gave to Chris Harris. Great watch in general btw.
if you read on them they’ll fix and improve on the first gen gt3, they even cut frames move suspension points, amazing work. Basically the sky is the limit if you have the Doug.
Old 05-11-2021 | 01:32 PM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

I was just telling my wife the same thing. I felt I did a lot of research and knew what to look for and I bought my 996, but lots of things I did not know or just assumed was really not as big a deal to deal with. I admitted to her, there was still a lot more I learned after I bought the car. If I were to do it all over again, I would have leaned in more on this community.

But I am also learning as I go, like some dos and don’t moving forward.

I am about to travel down the send my car off to have the engine rebuilt, 9xx will be my choice. I don’t need a track car, I just want a car for either long or short term ownership that I am confident I have a solid engine.

Last edited by HoustonCgrBkr; 05-11-2021 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 05-11-2021 | 03:15 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Houston keep us posted on your endeavor I have a feeling I’m in the same game as you
my car is well cared for but at 90 k it’s a limited lifespan and the future is a BIG question
Mike

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up