Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 11:40 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
That brings up a good point. Perhaps another reason they want to raise the ship may be to figure out what caused the fire. If it turns out the fire was caused by a Li-I battery, there will be ramifications in the shipping and shipping insurance world, and perhaps beyond.
A related question is whether they have those batts on charge during the crossing. Probably not, as the crossing itself may be short in days, but the total time since last charge may be quite longer, and they do need to run to offload from the ship...they are called Ro-Ro ships, roll on -roll off.
Makes sense. But we already know the answer. These things are dangerous. But they do save the environment don't they.

Note: that was a political statement, not an economic one.
The following users liked this post:
Lady Silver (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:56 AM
Phiphe
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
That's an average of 666 miles a year. Run, don't walk!
To buy it? Or are u saying the low miles makes u not sleep at night?

I'll buy a low mile 996 any day of the week and I guess others will as well based on recent record breaking multiple sales on bat.

Last edited by Phiphe; 03-06-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:37 PM
d--
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Makes sense. But we already know the answer. These things are dangerous. But they do save the environment don't they.

Note: that was a political statement, not an economic one.
I think this glosses over an important detail. Gas powered vehicles catch fire too. In fact, they catch fire 100x more often than gas powered vehicles.

What is fair is that EV fires are very hard to put out. Regardless, any vehicle catching fire on a ship would be very serious. No EVs on this ship, but it was awful. https://www.jacksonville.com/story/n...ay/5674390002/

Last edited by d--; 03-06-2022 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Typo and new link.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:40 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d--
I think this glosses over an important detail. Gas powered vehicles catch fire too. In fact, they catch first 100x more often than gas powered vehicles.

What is fair is that EV fires are very hard to put out. Regardless, any vehicle catching fire on a ship would be very serious.

I get it. I am not against EV , in fact I like it in hybrid form because it's practical. But just like ICE, it will take years to figure it out from a safety and application standpoint.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:54 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

At 1530 fires per 100K ICE cars does it seem that "they" have it figured out?
Old 03-06-2022, 01:03 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
At 1530 fires per 100K ICE cars does it seem that "they" have it figured out?
​​​​​​Problems with everything. Horses, ICE, EV, etc.

I don't know how 1530 fires stacks up to EV fires on a relative basis and the overall carbon footprint versus the amount of methane produced by horses that would be negative for the environment if we went back to horse and buggy.

​​​​​​When was the last time you heard about a cargo ship carrying ICE powered cars catching fire and sinking a ship.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:16 PM
d--
Instructor

​​​​​​Problems with everything. Horses, ICE, EV, etc.

I don't know how 1530 fires stacks up to EV fires on a relative basis and the overall carbon footprint versus the amount of methane produced by horses that would be negative for the environment if we went back to horse and buggy.

​​​​​​When was the last time you heard about a cargo ship carrying ICE powered cars catching fire and sinking a ship.
Generally, ICE cars catch fire all the time and it doesn’t make the news. Why? We’re used to it… we know how to contain and control those fires. EV fires burn hot and long, and they’re new so they make for easy headlines.

I do agree with your point, it will take a while to work through the implications and get EV fires to the point where they are not news anymore.

Side note, I sleep over a garage that has a Tesla in it. In fact, I’m on my second Tesla and my wife has expressed concerns. Also in that garage are a 911, and an ICE electric generator. So… there’s a decent amount of fire risk, for sure.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:24 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d--
Generally, ICE cars catch fire all the time and it doesn’t make the news. Why? We’re used to it… we know how to contain and control those fires. EV fires burn hot and long, and they’re new so they make for easy headlines.

I do agree with your point, it will take a while to work through the implications and get EV fires to the point where they are not news anymore.

Side note, I sleep over a garage that has a Tesla in it. In fact, I’m on my second Tesla and my wife has expressed concerns. Also in that garage are a 911, and an ICE electric generator. So… there’s a decent amount of fire risk, for sure.
D-,

Don't know what to tell you. Time will work out all the kinks.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:34 PM
d--
Instructor

D-,

Don't know what to tell you. Time will work out all the kinks.
For sure.. I came to terms with it. The Tesla’s are great commuters, and lovely to drive in foul weather thanks to their substantial mass and all wheel drive.
GC996 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 01:35 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by d--

Do you run the charger on the Tesla overnight? I'm curious also if Tesler has guidance with the cars defining the configuration of the charging stand, or does one come with the car?
Thanks
Rick
Old 03-06-2022, 01:52 PM
d--
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Do you run the charger on the Tesla overnight? I'm curious also if Tesler has guidance with the cars defining the configuration of the charging stand, or does one come with the car?
Thanks
Rick
Telsa pretty much invented home charging for EV’s and home charging is still the best thing to use on a daily basis. Their documentation, and products are robust and I’ve been very happy overall. The Tesla High Powered Wall Connector is what I use. For $500 it’s hard to beat. I gave the install guide to my electrician and he seemed impressed with it.

In my case, yes, I generally charge it overnight to a max of 90% capacity. It’s easy to pick anywhere from 50%-100% capacity and the car will stop when it reaches whatever level you are comfortable with. Example, if I’m going on a road trip, I’ll max it out at 100% so I give myself as much of an advantage as possible. If you were sticking close to home you could set the max lower, say 70% and feel like you are reducing the fire risk pretty substantially.

LadySilver, I hope that answers your question.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:46 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by d--
Telsa pretty much invented home charging for EV’s and home charging is still the best thing to use on a daily basis. Their documentation, and products are robust and I’ve been very happy overall. The Tesla High Powered Wall Connector is what I use. For $500 it’s hard to beat. I gave the install guide to my electrician and he seemed impressed with it.

In my case, yes, I generally charge it overnight to a max of 90% capacity. It’s easy to pick anywhere from 50%-100% capacity and the car will stop when it reaches whatever level you are comfortable with. Example, if I’m going on a road trip, I’ll max it out at 100% so I give myself as much of an advantage as possible. If you were sticking close to home you could set the max lower, say 70% and feel like you are reducing the fire risk pretty substantially.

LadySilver, I hope that answers your question.
Yes, perfect. Thanks. A good friend of mine in NC owns a Tesla he bought new last year. He seems very happy with it also. His daily regimen is about like yours and he does frequent 100 mile trips back and forth and he seems to be able to do that on a single charge, although he has needed to charge on the way back at times.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:45 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 106 Posts

Here in 996 land we advise new owners to do: IMSB, AOS, RMS, etc, etc.

In the VW Vanagon world, for every new owner the #1 advice is "change the fuel lines. They have a bad habit of cracking and dripping on the exhaust pipes.

The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...=asc&start=740
Porschetech3 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 05:39 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Just got word today our new Tesla Model S Long Range has arrived and is waiting for pickup. Our 3rd Tesla. Fear that it's going to ignite is non-existent. The extent to which the mainstream media has unsuccessfully tried to submarine punch Tesla at every turn shows how safe they are, both charging in my garage, and charging down the highway in full-self-driving mode. Tesla ignorance is thick out there still but not for long, they are going to be at a 2M car run rate by end of 2022, and that number is not even close to demand. 8M per year eventually, some say 20M.
GC996 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 06:19 PM
VintageCollector
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pulpo
Is it official? This thread hasn't been bumped for more than 72 hours.

Have prices stopped drifting up????

(/s cause people haven't been detecting my sarcasm lately)

The reality is that you HAVE to have fluctuations in a healthy market. No healthy market can ever just have increasing prices. That's certain death.

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up