Sponsored by:

PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Schuepp
Well, I know according to the Porsche TSB that pin 17 was for the DSP. Maybe you don't have a DSP. I would try to ground
that pin 17 slot anyway and see what happens. Worth a try. You might have an extra pin from your PCCM kit?
Unfortuantely, the pins included in the kit are too large for the Amp connector. They only fit the brown and black connectors at the head unit.

@b3freak will that Hi/Low level converter bypass the amp? What exactly will this harness do?
Old 10-25-2020, 07:17 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C
Unfortuantely, the pins included in the kit are too large for the Amp connector. They only fit the brown and black connectors at the head unit.

@b3freak will that Hi/Low level converter bypass the amp? What exactly will this harness do?
No, the Hi/Lo converter doesn't bypass the amplifier in your frunk. It takes the SPEAKER LEVEL output of brown connector B and converts it to LINE LEVEL via the Yellow C1 plug.

Basically, the Hi/Lo converter lowers the voltage of the audio signal to a more acceptable level for a car's amplifier inputs. Most amplifiers need a LINE-LEVEL source; therefore, SPEAKER-LEVEL output is too strong. The results are the audio coming from the speaker will be overdriven producing harmful distortion.

The following users liked this post:
Mikołaj (11-13-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 01:20 PM
barge00S
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you @T3C for starting this thread and @b3freak , @porschebaot and @Paul Schuepp for the posts on this thread - you have helped me tremendously. I'm in the process of installing a PCCM+ in my '00 Boxster S that is OEM equipped with:

• CDR-220 Becker head unit
  • HAES AMP (M490)
  • DSP (M680)

I wanted to add my finding here as each option puts a slightly different spin on the procedure and details and I've not seen anyone posting with the above OEM configuration.

1. Although it's fairly obvious, when replacing the radio in a car with the DSP option, you can remove the DSP control panel (mine's a NOKIA). This sort of confused me at first because I was worried about losing my 1 DIN slot storage bin. Just remove the DSP control box and stuff the DSP control header somewhere back in the lower center console.
  2. Since this is an analog car with an analog AMP, you do need to set the CAN/AMP option in the PCCM+ Settings menu (as detailed in posts above). This is confusing in the Porsche Tech Bulletin as it says in step (7) that this is need on '97-'02 vehicles with the PCM1 option.
  3. And, like mentioned above for an AMP car, with the DSP option, you also need to tell the AMP to power up when the new radio turns on by grounding pin 17 on the 18-pin connector at the amp and float the existing wire coming into that pin 17. THE DIFFERENCE in a car with the DSP option, is that wire is not red/black/yellow, it is white/green. @b3freak 's wiring diagram post #54 has this on it (DSP DATA) but this threw me for a bit so I checked the Bentley manual and it confirmed it, and then reread @b3freak 's post.
  4. #3 was even harder for me to figure out as my 18-pin AMP connector shroud is part of the connector, as far as I can tell, and I can't get to the pin latches to remove any pins!
  5. The MOST control unit and connecting line are NOT needed in an analog car like mine with the AMP and DSP option. Leave it out and save yourself a few ounces of sprung weight. :-)
  6. The yellow connector does connect on the top most part of the connector closest to the edge of the unit.

Remaining issue I'm working on (with info from the posts above):

• I, too, still have over amplified sound right now. I'll try adjusting the OUTPUT level feeding the AMP or see if, as @theprf sayx, there is a way in the radio to switch the output the AMP to LINE LEVEL, or if perhaps the other large connector outputs at LINE LEVEL. If I can't figure that out, I'll buy/make an ISO resistive adapter like @porschebaot mentioned in his install guide.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:12 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Guys,

My car is 996 2000 PCM1, Bose Sound System, without fiber optic - fully stock. Everything works perfect before installing PCCM+.
I have read all your posts and also other topics regarding PCCM+ and still cannot find answer to one question.

As point 6.5.1 of the Porsche manual is saying about ground the amp we were trying to find the plus with 18 connectors and what comes out:
- I dont have such a plug by the amp
- amp and the plug is in different place than in manual (also CD changer is in other position)

Can anyone help with that?

Moreover without grounding the AMP, PCCM+ works almost perfect - the only problem for now is overamplified sound (but I am awaiting for the low/high adapter - for sure its not caused by the lack of grounding).

Last edited by Mikołaj; 11-10-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:20 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikołaj
Guys, I have read all your post and also other topics regarding PCCM+ and still cannot find answer to one question. My car is 996 2000 PCM1, Bose Sound System, without fiber optic - fully stock. Everything works perfect before installing PCCM+.

As point 6.5.1 of the Porsche manual is saying about ground the amp we were trying to find the plus with 18 connectors and what comes out:
- amp and the plug is in different place than in manual (also CD changer is in other position)

Can anyone help with that? Moreover without grounding the AMP, PCCM+ works almost perfect - the only problem for now is overamplified sound, but I am awaiting for the low/high adapter. For its not caused by the lack of grounding.
You may want to try the http://911uk.com forum. The seem to have more experience than the US. They helped me out.
Mikołaj (11-13-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:26 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

Originally Posted by mffarrell
You may want to try the http://911uk.com forum. The seem to have more experience than the US. They helped me out.
Thanks, I have read every single post also there for the moment I will wait for the adapter from Porsche and if everything will works I will leave as it is.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:35 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Moreover without grounding the AMP, PCCM+ works almost perfect - the only problem for now is overamplified sound (but I am awaiting for the low/high adapter - for sure its not caused by the lack of grounding).
I believe that grounding pin#17 of the HAES amp plug is to disable the M680 DSP function as that is not used with the PCCM+ any longer. If you don't have the M680 DSP option this might already be grounded.

One of my cars has the M490/M680 combo and I would really like to get rid of the M680 DSP option, so I will try the ground pin# 17 solution when I have time.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:27 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Guys,

My car is 996 2000 PCM1, Bose Sound System, without fiber optic - fully stock. Everything works perfect before installing PCCM+.
I have read all your posts and also other topics regarding PCCM+ and still cannot find answer to one question.

Can anyone help with that?

With the Bose option, it includes a different amplifier - 99664533800. Therefore, those instructions don't apply to you. Did you have the Yellow C1 plug on the back of your legacy PCM1 legacy system? Or, are you using the B connector?
Mikołaj (11-13-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

Originally Posted by b3freak
With the Bose option, it includes a different amplifier - 99664533800. Therefore, those instructions don't apply to you. Did you have the Yellow C1 plug on the back of your legacy PCM1 legacy system? Or, are you using the B connector?
I don't know, all the cables were plug&play. Problem is the white noise ( I am awaiting for the adapter from Porsche) and automatic volume adjustment during acceleration (we will see if anything change after installtion of adapter, but I doubt).
Old 11-13-2020, 06:01 AM
Mikołaj
Track Day

I don't know, all the cables were plug&play. Problem is the white noise ( I am awaiting for the adapter from Porsche) and automatic volume adjustment during acceleration (we will see if anything change after installtion of adapter, but I doubt).
White noise problem is solved - Porsche send us the adapter.

But still 2 topics:

1) automatic volume adjustment (due to increasing speed) doesnt work - anyone? Can anybody confirm here that it works in his car with PCCM+?
2) nav info on cluster - Porsche said that they see only cruisecontrol option - no audio, no nav

Last edited by Mikołaj; 11-13-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:12 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

White noise problem is solved - Porsche send us the adapter.

But still 2 topics:

1) automatic volume adjustment (due to increasing speed) doesnt work - anyone? Can anybody confirm here that it works in his car with PCCM+?
2) nav info on cluster - Porsche said that they see only cruisecontrol option - no audio, no nav
One step forward. What does the adapter look like and where does it plug in? Pictures?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Mikołaj
Track Day

One step forward. What does the adapter look like and where does it plug in? Pictures?
Adapter is the same as one showed in first topic regarding PCCM+ installation

Can you please confirm that automatic volume adjustment works with PCCM+?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Adapter is the same as one showed in first topic regarding PCCM+ installation

Can you please confirm that automatic volume adjustment works with PCCM+?
Are you speaking of the ground line that's noted in the Porsche technical instructions pdf? Or something else?

I can't confirm the automatic volume control will work at the moment.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Mikołaj
Track Day

Are you speaking of the ground line that's noted in the Porsche technical instructions pdf? Or something else?

I can't confirm the automatic volume control will work at the moment.
No, about this aftermarket adapter. I couldnt believe too. Post #32 - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cm-plus-5.html
Old 11-13-2020, 11:51 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

No, about this aftermarket adapter. I couldnt believe too. Post #32 - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cm-plus-5.html
Was that adapter sold by Porsche? If so, could you please provide the part# for the forum?

That harness adapter in post#32 is basically a Hi/Lo speaker level-to-line level adapter. From the pictures, it appears to serve those with units with the Brown "B" connector to the amplifier. This adapter would not serve people with the Porsche Harmann HiFi analog systems (e.g. CDR-220) where the headunit outputs line-level from the C1 Yellow. That's the way it was on my last 996.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND