Sponsored by:

PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 06:18 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C
I spliced the red/black wire into the white wire and wrapped the connection with electrical tape.

I NOW HAVE SOUND through the speakers. However, I am getting quite a bit of feedback (car on, engine off) and the volume is quite loud even when set to a very low volume level. Do I need a ground loop isolator, or do I need to make a new ground? I tried to attach a video of the sound to this post, but am having difficulty.
I saw this after I spliced the wires, unfortunately. I will get a picture of the connectors and update.
Congrats!
You need to go back through this thread and reset the PCCM+ to LINE LEVEL outputs. It was in here, somewhere. You have it set for SPEAKER LEVEL outputs and it's overdirving the amp inputs & causing that distortion.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:54 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Congrats!
You need to go back through this thread and reset the PCCM+ to LINE LEVEL outputs. It was in here, somewhere. You have it set for SPEAKER LEVEL outputs and it's overdirving the amp inputs & causing that distortion.
I’m not immediately recalling where this happened in the thread... I remember the setting for switching to Amp via holding the volume button—are you referring to that? It seems like just setting it to amp like I did is incomplete/incorrect.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:10 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

You are going to have to figure out how to set the thing for the proper output levels, I don't have one and cannot help you. Poke around in the setup menus and see what you can find.

If all else fails you can buy a speaker level to line level converter, look on Amazon or at Crutchfield.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:29 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

You are going to have to figure out how to set the thing for the proper output levels, I don't have one and cannot help you. Poke around in the setup menus and see what you can find.

If all else fails you can buy a speaker level to line level converter, look on Amazon or at Crutchfield.
I will dig through the manual and see what I can find. Thank you for all your help!
Old 10-04-2020, 10:44 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Do you recall where this was in the thread? I am not finding it via the search function, and did not have any luck finding anything relevant in the instruction manual. Does anyone with a PCCM+ know how to change the output setting to LINE level?

I started perusing line level to speaker level converters, but am unsure how they would exactly fit into my setup. Would I need RCA cables? https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oa2vCf...UaArQ9EALw_wcB

As you can tell, speakers are not my forte...
Old 10-04-2020, 11:21 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

@T3C What several of us are assuming is that changing the sound setting to “Amp” changes the outputs to line level. Go back and make sure the head unit is set to Amp mode as you described in the first post.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:44 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts
Default CAN vs AMP Mode

This thread, post 1:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...pccm-plus.html

-Tom
Old 10-05-2020, 12:13 AM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wsrgklt
@T3C What several of us are assuming is that changing the sound setting to “Amp” changes the outputs to line level. Go back and make sure the head unit is set to Amp mode as you described in the first post.
Ah ok. Yes, I did that. Also performed a hard reset via disconnecting the negative battery lead, and then made sure it was still set to Amp. Still getting feedback, though.

What if I try a new ground wire? Splice a new ground into the existing ground wire from the A plug via a self-tapping screw into the metal frame sitting behind the head unit? The other guy who installed a PCCM+ had get an ISO adapter, but I’m not sure how that would fit into my setup.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:14 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C
Ah ok. Yes, I did that. Also performed a hard reset via disconnecting the negative battery lead, and then made sure it was still set to Amp. Still getting feedback, though.

What if I try a new ground wire? Splice a new ground into the existing ground wire from the A plug via a self-tapping screw into the metal frame sitting behind the head unit? The other guy who installed a PCCM+ had get an ISO adapter, but I’m not sure how that would fit into my setup.
The SPEAKER-LEVEL ONLY outputs from that PCCM connector that you're using doesn't surprise me. And, based on the 4-5 Porsche units I've dealt with (including a PCM), I wouldn't be surprised that you can't change the speaker level outputs to LIVE LEVEL on that specific output connector either. The LINE LEVEL outputs usually came from a different connector such as the YELLOW C1 connector on past models such as the CR/CDR-220. But looks like you haven't taken my advice to rethink how you installing this unit and are going in a different direction. WIth that, I wish you all the best OP on finding a solution.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:06 AM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
The SPEAKER-LEVEL ONLY outputs from that PCCM connector that you're using doesn't surprise me. And, based on the 4-5 Porsche units I've dealt with (including a PCM), I wouldn't be surprised that you can't change the speaker level outputs to LIVE LEVEL on that specific output connector either. The LINE LEVEL outputs usually came from a different connector such as the YELLOW C1 connector on past models such as the CR/CDR-220. But looks like you haven't taken my advice to rethink how you installing this unit and are going in a different direction. WIth that, I wish you all the best OP on finding a solution.
Well hold on, man. You couldn't answer a fundamental question for me: if I follow your route then what do I do with the extra wires? I have 8 pigtail speaker wires, but C1 only has 6 pins. What do I do with the extra 2 speaker wires? I'm not saying that I am done with this project by any means. Just stating that I now have sound--albeit distorted right now--by splicing the red/black wire into the white wire from the A connector.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:31 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by T3C
Well hold on, man. You couldn't answer a fundamental question for me: if I follow your route then what do I do with the extra wires?
I've been away from the computer since my last post. Think through what I've trying to tell you. Don't get wound up trying to count wires. Many connectors will have + and - lines that are shared with other connectors. For example, the YELLOW C1 connector would have 5 + line outputs and one negative. In the case, the original OEM YELLOW C1 shares cables with the original BLACK A1 connector. If you really want the easy route IMHO... then that means you need to get the wires and connections BACK to a BASELINE. Removed the HAES amp in the frunk and POST a picture of the amp's connectors and wires like I requested. Trace those cables BACK to the head unit. Confirm that NONE are missing. Solder the missing original OEM Becker YELLOW C1 connector to the cut lines. Looks like you're missing the YELLOW connector. You should purchase one IMHO. Once the cables are returned to the original factory setup, then I would move forward with installing the PCCM. I don't have access to the installation manuals for the new PCCM and so I'm working blind here unless you can post pdf documents if they're available.

Once you remove the amp for the mount, you'll notice you have two connectors (as shown in the image in my previous post).

The large white connector is the SPEAKER LEVEL outputs from the amp; PLUS, the 12V+ and - that come from the car's fuse box. The smaller black connector on the amp, is for the LINE LEVEL inputs, and 12V remote from the head unit.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:41 AM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

@b3freak If you look above, you’ll see that I had the same advice as you initially. I’m used to hooking up line level outs to the Yellow connector on the car.

However, after reading a few other posts from owners of PCCM+ units, it appears the unit doesn’t have typical RCA pre-amp outputs and does not come with a wiring harness that matches up to the yellow connector. So I’m not sure how you access the line level output from the head unit. If you have suggestions on that particular point, I’m sure the OP would appreciate it.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:28 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

@b3freak If you look above, you’ll see that I had the same advice as you initially. I’m used to hooking up line level outs to the Yellow connector on the car.

However, after reading a few other posts from owners of PCCM+ units, it appears the unit doesn’t have typical RCA pre-amp outputs and does not come with a wiring harness that matches up to the yellow connector. So I’m not sure how you access the line level output from the head unit. If you have suggestions on that particular point, I’m sure the OP would appreciate it.
What I'm trying to do is get the OP's original wire harness back to a baseline... that is, in it's original stock form. This would be the most reasonable method moving forward. It's impossible to see through the computer and identify what's been cut and/or removed in his original Becker CR220 system. If I had to make a wild guess, the previous owner cut off the Yellow plug, and rigged the SPEAKER LEVEL outputs of the Pioneer into the LINE LEVEL inputs of the HAES Amp. This is really poor workmanship. This would mean the high voltage outputs are feeding the amp's LINE LEVEL inputs which translates to DISTORTION. Basically, you're overdriving the amp.

Now, as I've mentioned before, I don't have access to the newest PCCM installation instructions or wiring diagrams. The OP should post if available in pdf form. Maybe even post a photograph of the wiring diagrams? That would help.

Here is a clearer image of the back of an original Porsche/Becker CR220. Notice the stock connectors. This system in the image obviously has the optional CD changer which uses the GREEN and BLUE plugs.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:33 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I saw your post and noticed you're using a wiring harness to adapt a newer Head Unit. What radio?
Old 10-05-2020, 12:08 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak

Now, as I've mentioned before, I don't have access to the newest PCCM installation instructions or wiring diagrams. The OP should post if available in pdf form. Maybe even post a photograph of the wiring diagrams? That would help.
I fee like a broken record here, but I will repeat again: THERE ARE NO INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. There are are no diagrams stating what the various connections at the back of the unit do. There is a manual that informs you how to work through Apple CarPlay, and change the color of the buttons, but that’s about it. Porsche really intended this to be installed by a professional it seems.

I will provide a picture of the Amp later this afternoon.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND