Sponsored by:

PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 11:20 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 248 Posts

Thanks for the trust guys.
However, we have no harness for use with the PCCM units. We have cooperated with badger15 in this, and tried to find out what is causing the noise. We have no conclusion, the noise/hiss seems to be generated by the head unit itself.
We are unfortunately not able to provide installation help for the PCCM(+) head units, but will refer you to the supplier for such details.
One thing came out of our work and is worth mentioning:
The CAN/AMP setting is for turning on and off the external amplifier Remote ON signal in the socket where the yellow Mini ISO C connector goes. This 12V activation signal output can be turned on like this:
  • Home/Settings: Press and hold Volume for 10s
  • Press the CAN switch to change from CAN to AMP
  • Restart the head unit
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-18-2021, 12:28 PM
jh996tt02
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who are having high volume gain with static/hiss noise issue, the following part worked for me (02 996 TT with CR-220).I ordered it and the package contained two of the CTAMPPASSTHROUGH connector (shown in the picture on the URL above). With 1 of the connectors hooked up to my PCCM+, the volume gain and noise level went down but it was still there. So I ended up connecting both of them and it eliminated the issue completely.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:17 PM
KPAD
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi @jh996tt02
I am experiencing a similar issue to you. I purchased a single line converter here in Australia (https://aerpro.com/app7210) and it doesnt seem to have addressed the issue.

My questions are as follows:
  1. From your description, it sounds like you have used two of these adaptors in series. Is this correct?
  2. The middle section of your pass-through adaptor seems much more substantial than the one I used. Mine just appears to have some small resistors in the middle. Whereas the middle part of your adaptor looks like it may have some type of PCB with more 'smarts'. Can anyone share the differences between my unit and the unit @jh996tt02 has used? I wonder if yours drops the voltage as well as providing some type of filtering. Mine just appears to drop the voltage (given it just has a resistor).
Old 02-22-2021, 04:06 PM
jh996tt02
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KPAD
Hi @jh996tt02
I am experiencing a similar issue to you. I purchased a single line converter here in Australia (https://aerpro.com/app7210) and it doesnt seem to have addressed the issue.

My questions are as follows:
  1. From your description, it sounds like you have used two of these adaptors in series. Is this correct?
  2. The middle section of your pass-through adaptor seems much more substantial than the one I used. Mine just appears to have some small resistors in the middle. Whereas the middle part of your adaptor looks like it may have some type of PCB with more 'smarts'. Can anyone share the differences between my unit and the unit @jh996tt02 has used? I wonder if yours drops the voltage as well as providing some type of filtering. Mine just appears to drop the voltage (given it just has a resistor).
I think you are correct that the black shrink-wrapped section in the adapter that I purchased is some sorta low-pass filter that brings down the speaker level signal to line-level. When I connected only one of them, it brought down the gain level noticeably, but it did not eliminate the issue (I was still able to hear a slight hiss-static noise even with the PCCM's volume all the way down) and that's why I put two adapters in a row.

Last edited by jh996tt02; 02-22-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:08 PM
jh996tt02
6th Gear

If you look at the installation guide on this post "https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1194660-installation-guide-of-the-pccm-plus.html", the ISO adapter that's pictured in the thread looks very similar to the one I purchased from https://www.justcarkits.co.uk/jck_bl...tem-attenuator.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:48 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm looking for a CDR-23 with codes, brackets. If anyone has one laying around that they'd like to sell, please pm me.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

A quick question if I may as i havent read all the posts here... I am thinking to put in my 03 carrera the pccm+, no bose , no door speakers , pcm2 with cd changer, navi and phone are on from factory. If i go ahead it will be installed at Porsche. Shall i expect to have sound issues with a dealer fit or any other issues ??
Old 03-03-2021, 03:52 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Giorginetto
A quick question if I may as i havent read all the posts here... I am thinking to put in my 03 carrera the pccm+, no bose , no door speakers , pcm2 with cd changer, navi and phone are on from factory. If i go ahead it will be installed at Porsche. Shall i expect to have sound issues with a dealer fit or any other issues ??
IMHO, you have the best system for PCCM+ upgrade. Unless I'm mistaken, you'll lose the use of the CD changer.

Please report back when the dealership finishes. I encourage you to ask if they have been provided detailed instructions from Porsche. From what I gather, they are working with limited install information.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:33 PM
Landscraper
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

I wonder if running the mini-ISO to ISO converter that you posted above in conjunction with the brown ISO passthrough connector (that Porsche has rumored to supply some with) is the magic combination for my system - 2001 M680 (which is the Nokia DSP Amp) and PCM 1. I think I need to run the brown output from PCCM+ with an in-line filter and convert it to the yellow C1 (which is input to the amp).

Last edited by Landscraper; 04-02-2021 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:37 AM
Landscraper
Rennlist Member

Well some progress on trying to eliminate the overly loud and hissing issue. I ordered the mini-ISO hi/low level converter, installed it, and was able to get sound, however the distortion and volume issue persisted. I also ordered the CTAMPPASSTHROUGH (brown ISO plug) which others have said successfully removed the hissing, so I added that to the Hi/Low converter and I have NO sound at all. What gives? I un-plug the connector and sound returns.

One odd thing I noticed is that the brown ISO of the Hi/Low seems to be wired opposite of the CTAMP connector with positive/negative switched for each speaker (see below). Would that matter? I de-pinned and swapped them to match, tried again, but still no sound with the CTAMP connector attached.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:33 PM
Landscraper
Rennlist Member

Continuing on the saga....

Jay @ DiscountCarStereo.com (Provider of the above Hi/Low converter) has been working with me to find a resolution. The original harness had worked to provide sound but did not fix any of the previous issues (hum & loud volume). Jay put together a new harness with a gain adjustment module that attaches to the factory harness through the black ISO and Yellow C1 plug which I installed today. This module fixed the overly loud volume issue so now I can actually go above '5' on my PCCM+'s volume but did not address the hum at Amp power up.

I'm beginning to think this might be a ground related issue? I did have the PCM1 and installed the additional ground wire supplied by Porsche - perhaps that is causing the hum sound? It might make sense as not everyone is reporting that issue.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:59 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
IMHO, you have the best system for PCCM+ upgrade. Unless I'm mistaken, you'll lose the use of the CD changer.

Please report back when the dealership finishes. I encourage you to ask if they have been provided detailed instructions from Porsche. From what I gather, they are working with limited install information.

I will do when I do so ... I must say I have concerns as I read a lot of stuff for the PCCM+ and much of it isnt very good..... I wonder will i still be able to use the phone handset as well? not that i have ever used it but its part of the 996 and dont want to make lots of things obsolete.....
Old 11-13-2021, 10:18 AM
lost27
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Landscraper
Continuing on the saga....

Jay @ DiscountCarStereo.com (Provider of the above Hi/Low converter) has been working with me to find a resolution. The original harness had worked to provide sound but did not fix any of the previous issues (hum & loud volume). Jay put together a new harness with a gain adjustment module that attaches to the factory harness through the black ISO and Yellow C1 plug which I installed today. This module fixed the overly loud volume issue so now I can actually go above '5' on my PCCM+'s volume but did not address the hum at Amp power up.

I'm beginning to think this might be a ground related issue? I did have the PCM1 and installed the additional ground wire supplied by Porsche - perhaps that is causing the hum sound? It might make sense as not everyone is reporting that issue.
@Landscraper Were you ever able to get the volume/hum issue sorted out? Do you happen to have a part number for the hi/lo converter? I've been having a heckuva time finding this type of converter in the states and it looks like Discount Car Stereo is one of the only options.

Last edited by lost27; 11-13-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:41 PM
John Rower
6th Gear

Default 2003 986 with BOSE/MOST no sound

I have been reading through this list and I just installed (myself) the PCCM+ (bought from Suncoast) yesterday and today. The factory Becker was cutting in and out, half working half not. A few days ago it would work for 10 seconds then stop. Once in a while an ear piercing screech lasting a millisecond would occur every 5 minutes or so, but no real sound. So I went through the install and no sound. Yes the CD changer MOST bypass is in place, yes the most box on the tray is connected. I had the thing on for a bit and was talking to a friend when suddenly i had sound. Yeah (didn't touch a thing!) for about 8 seconds then off again. This happened 2 or 3 times over the course of 45 minutes. I am confident that my Factory BOSE amp is kaputz. However I was wondering, before i spend an additional $500 on an amp, if this is a MOST problem or is the consensus that the amp is kaputz? Also my A/C worked perfectly yesterday, but today it says it is on but it really isnt? And when I turn my key one, i get the usual oil measurement and i have the computer for mph, outside air, yadda yadda yadda BUT now the steering column lever to control that does nothing. And the head unit does not turn off with the key. Help, anyone!!!
Old 02-21-2022, 06:57 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by John Rower
I have been reading through this list and I just installed (myself) the PCCM+ (bought from Suncoast) yesterday and today. The factory Becker was cutting in and out, half working half not. A few days ago it would work for 10 seconds then stop. Once in a while an ear piercing screech lasting a millisecond would occur every 5 minutes or so, but no real sound. So I went through the install and no sound. Yes the CD changer MOST bypass is in place, yes the most box on the tray is connected. I had the thing on for a bit and was talking to a friend when suddenly i had sound. Yeah (didn't touch a thing!) for about 8 seconds then off again. This happened 2 or 3 times over the course of 45 minutes. I am confident that my Factory BOSE amp is kaputz. However I was wondering, before i spend an additional $500 on an amp, if this is a MOST problem or is the consensus that the amp is kaputz? Also my A/C worked perfectly yesterday, but today it says it is on but it really isnt? And when I turn my key one, i get the usual oil measurement and i have the computer for mph, outside air, yadda yadda yadda BUT now the steering column lever to control that does nothing. And the head unit does not turn off with the key. Help, anyone!!!
If you have access to a Porsche Piwis 2, you can run diagnostics on the Bose amp.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND