Sponsored by:

PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:27 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C
I do have a multimeter. I have a very rudimentary knowledge base around it, so please forgive me for asking basic questions about it. I imagine that I’m looking for voltage as an output, and something less than 12V—correct? Should they all have the same output (assuming the Amp is functioning properly)? Just want to make sure I set up the multimeter to the correct settings before making a diagnosis.
You're thinking of the system power. This is DC and a "12V system". For example, the power output from the battery to the radio will show around 11 - 13 volts. The voltage coming from a LINE LEVEL audio output will be very low at around 1V.

Therefore, your multimeter should be selected in DC. You're not testing resistance. You're testing voltage.

Originally Posted by T3C
With regards to the hi-level/lo-level harness, which radio do I select from the drop-down menu in that link? I was looking for CDR-220, but it wasn’t an option.
This company sells adapters for people like you that are changing out Porsche factory radios but want to retain the factory wiring and HAES/Nokia amplifiers. Based on the list, the Continental CD7426UB-OR is the closest in setup to the Becker CDR-220.
You should confirm with the company, but basically (see attached image) the two units are same. The HI/LO harness takes the SPEAKER LEVEL output from the PCCM+ on the B Connector and converts it to LINE-LEVEL through the YELLOW C1 plug to the amplifier.

Again, the best option is to contact your local dealership for assistance to see if you can enable the PCCM+ unit for your car's audio configuration. But if don't and can't figure out how to enable LINE LEVEL output via the Yellow C1 plug, then this is the only option on the table at the moment.

Originally Posted by T3C
I will do my best searching around the menus, but I think it will be low yield as the real juice is quite well hidden. After all, switching to amp output requires holding down VOLUME for 15secs. Who would guess that?? You are 100% right that Porsche intended these to be installed by the dealer.
Yep. Based on what I learned with the early press releases and now from you regarding the included manuals, these units are intended to be installed by the dealerships. I'm positive that the dealerships had to pay to train a technician to install these new radios and they would have access to special documentation and equipment to UNLOCK special admin menus.

Originally Posted by T3C
Thank you so much for your help! I will get my multimeter out tomorrow and update with results.
Please report back what you've been able to accomplish with this challenge.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 10-18-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:11 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Watch this video. Notice (at 20-minute mark) that the installer says the installation instructions are only provided by Porsche or independent authorized installers.

You will also note that after he holds down the volume button 10 sec to enable AMP mode, he has to adjust the OUTPUT volume feeding the amplifier. That's important. Did you check that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmWw...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 10-18-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:27 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

As a side note, if find out your HAES analog amplifier is bad, I have two of them that are functional. Just let me know. Send me a PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:17 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Dusted off the multimeter this morning. With the ignition on, radio playing, and yellow C1 connected to the back of the PCCM unit I then touched the red pin of the multimeter to the exposed wiring of the black/red wire (which is the 12V constant power to the Amp via the yellow C1 connector) and it read about 8V when I touched the black pin to the car’s exposed frame.

Originally Posted by b3freak
Watch this video. Notice (at 20-minute mark) that the installer says the installation instructions are only provided by Porsche or independent authorized installers.

You will also note that after he holds down the volume button 10 sec to enable AMP mode, he has to adjust the OUTPUT volume feeding the amplifier. That's important. Did you check that?

I have not adjusted that setting, and was wholly unaware of it until now. Will play with that setting when I arrive home later this afternoon and update!

Last edited by T3C; 10-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:59 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

I just watched the video. I noticed when he holds the VOLUME selection down for 10s, he has two options available: CANSwitch and Loudness. However, when I do the same thing I only have one setting to toggle, which is CANSwitch. Why don’t I have the other option appearing on my screen? I’ll take a picture later today and update.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:08 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by T3C
I just watched the video. I noticed when he holds the VOLUME selection down for 10s, he has two options available: CANSwitch and Loudness. However, when I do the same thing I only have one setting to toggle, which is CANSwitch. Why don’t I have the other option appearing on my screen? I’ll take a picture later today and update.
Ok... sounds good! You'll notice the installer in the video has a bunch of technical papers on his lap too. Bet ya, those are installation instructions he's been given access to from Porsche.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:16 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Ok... sounds good! You'll notice the installer in the video has a bunch of technical papers on his lap too. Bet ya, those are installation instructions he's been given access to from Porsche.
Here is a quick update. As you can see I do NOT have a selection to adjust the loudness of the Amp... Did I miss something during install to be lacking this option? It seems odd to be missing this option.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C
Here is a quick update. As you can see I do NOT have a selection to adjust the loudness of the Amp... Did I miss something during install to be lacking this option? It seems odd to be missing this option.

What happens when you touch can switch? Mine looks like this:

Old 10-18-2020, 09:33 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by T3C
Look at these two images. Do have a SETTINGS menu (yellow arrow) as shown. Then once in the SETTING menu, have a VOLUME setting (red arrow) as shown in the video starting at 22 min?

Old 10-18-2020, 10:23 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
What happens when you touch can switch? Mine looks like this:
When I press the CANSwitch it just toggles from Amp to CAN. The loudness never appears.

Look at these two images. Do have a SETTINGS menu (yellow arrow) as shown. Then once in the SETTING menu, have a VOLUME setting (red arrow) as shown in the video starting at 22 min?

Yes, that I how I arrived at the above image I posted. Settings —> Volume —> hold for 10s. The Loudness option does not appear after holding for 10s. What does appear on my screen is the image I posted above.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:37 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

I called a bunch of Porsche service departments this morning and a total of ZERO returned my call. However, Suncoast sent me an email containing the holy grail—THE instruction manual. I am attaching it to this post.

I’ve read through it, but haven’t found anything particularly enlightening to my problem re: sound. No one has been able to yet tell me why I don’t have the “Loudness” option after holding down the volume button like it shows on the last page of the manual.
Attached Images
Old 10-19-2020, 10:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Thank you for updating and posting those instructions. That will help a lot of people. Did you get ANY sound at all? Noise? Or any faint sound from the PCCM?
Old 10-19-2020, 11:28 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Thank you for updating and posting those instructions. That will help a lot of people. Did you get ANY sound at all? Noise? Or any faint sound from the PCCM?
I’ll probably make a separate post just for these instructions. It’s practically unobtanium at this point in time, and with Pelican selling these units now people are going to find themselves scratching their heads installing these without instructions.

The only time I was able to get any sound was when I had all those wires pinned to the brown plug. I ordered that harness you linked. Really hoping that provides a solution.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:43 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by T3C
I’ll probably make a separate post just for these instructions. It’s practically unobtanium at this point in time, and with Pelican selling these units now people are going to find themselves scratching their heads installing these without instructions.

The only time I was able to get any sound was when I had all those wires pinned to the brown plug. I ordered that harness you linked. Really hoping that provides a solution.
Read Figure 6.5.2 - looks like there may be a grounding issue that needs to be addressed. Even though they specify PCM1 and M680, the grounding issues on the amp's com plug, may apply to your car. At the heart, the PCM1 was an analog system Can't be totally sure from this limited technical document. You'll noticed they include a link to a VPN that includes more instructions and videos.
https://ppn.porsche.com/portal/commu...deos-pccm-plus

But of course, you must have an account to access. Oh well. I bet you more is explained for the analog systems.

As I mentioned before, IMHO the majority of buyers will probably make of the CAN MOST based systems. Why do I think that? The early MOST systems were very problematic and unreliable. Therefore, this is great alternative for those people and it appears that the system is virtually plug and play for MOST customers. The Porsche Becker analog system were pretty solid, but after 2002, Porsche went all digital and problems continued into the 997 generation. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche doesn't make a 997 and 987 version of the PCCM.

Back to your problem... converting the SPEAKER LEVEL to LINE LEVEL should work. Many people have used those HI/LO adapters when mating a aftermarket stereo to the Factory amps. Hope it works.

I wish I could be more help.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 10-19-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:41 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile amp ground wire to get sound on pccm+

Originally Posted by T3C
I called a bunch of Porsche service departments this morning and a total of ZERO returned my call. However, Suncoast sent me an email containing the holy grail—THE instruction manual. I am attaching it to this post.

I’ve read through it, but haven’t found anything particularly enlightening to my problem re: sound. No one has been able to yet tell me why I don’t have the “Loudness” option after holding down the volume button like it shows on the last page of the manual.
Thank you for the install manual so glad you found it. My 996 is a 2000, not MOST system, but analog. So when taking the PCM out to replace with PCCM+ I am hoping that 996.642.587.00 ground wire to the amp
in pin 17 will do the trick...cause I ain't got sound now, even with the Volume setting CAN to AMP. Again, my system does not have the brown ISO B speakers wires connector from the old PCM 1. will let you know what happens. One would think this cool upgrade by Porsche PCM1 to PCCM+ would be all plug and play! Almost. I will also try to call Porsche but my Porsche service depts up here in New Hampshire are weak. They didn't even know what a PCCM+ is. I will have to call Boston dealers. thanks... for now sitting on a useless $1300 piece of Porsche electronics

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND