PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 05:49 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need for PCCM instructions from Porsche

Originally Posted by James_03C4S
I've been following all the drama related to the PCCM+ installation woes in the multiple related threads. I understand that Porsche wants this installed via the Dealer but it seems that even the dealer instructions are inadequate to address the various installation issues noted in the threads. You'd think there would be a more comprehensive installation procedure with Porsche documented instructions for these units and not leave it up to the forums to resolve issues that should have not have been issues to begin with.
exactly! I have a difficult situation. This is my second PCcm install in a 996 after my first successful one. So I think I know what I’m doing. Even the first one I had to use rennlist forum to find the no volume solution for grounding pin #17 on the amp. But now I have a new unexpected problem with no help from Porsche so far. The unit is installed and all functions work, with the exception of the unit thinks it’s moving and will not let you change settings unless you are stationary. But the unit is stationary! So the the built in accelerometer is broken or needs to be reset. Now I have an appointment with a Porsche dealership to process for warranty, realize this dealership never installed a PCcm before. Frustrating!!!
Old 01-13-2021, 12:47 AM
Geoffrey Deibel
5th Gear

So I just got done (or so I thought) installing the PCCM+ in my 986 (2004). No sound. So do I have to do this grounding thing for the amp as well? I switched from CAN to AMP already.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:17 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Deibel
So I just got done (or so I thought) installing the PCCM+ in my 986 (2004). No sound. So do I have to do this grounding thing for the amp as well? I switched from CAN to AMP already.
No grounding issues on MOST cars. Make sure all connectors are plugged in. (I am sure you probably did this already) Maybe you have a defective unit.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:20 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
As it stands right now, the consensus is the PCCM+ does not offer pre-amp analog line-level output via the C1 ISO output. Therefore, the SPEAKER LEVEL output from the B connector on the PCCM+ will have to be attenuated to LINE LEVEL to avoid distortion with the M490 HAES amplifiers. This is for non-MOST analog systems from 99-2002. Bergvill has been producing radio solutions for Porsche for many years.

Here is a Hi/LO adapter/ wire harness for this solution.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...96boxster-m490

Has someone successfully used this adapter on the PCCM+ ? I just installed mine on my US, analog car and am battling the hiss / high gain issue. Information on this thread seems a bit all over the place? Is this the recommended adapter ( http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/conn...ssthrough-lead ) or the Bergvill one referenced above. Or is Porsche really sending out adapters for people? Has anyone fixed this issue or have any updates since November?
Old 01-13-2021, 01:17 PM
Geoffrey Deibel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mffarrell
No grounding issues on MOST cars. Make sure all connectors are plugged in. (I am sure you probably did this already) Maybe you have a defective unit.
man. What a drag. I think my dealer/repair place is going to try and help me out. He did advise me to try and turn off the radio, get out, lock and unlock the doors, and then try starting the unit again, but that didn’t work. Funny story – this is actually voice to text dictation coming through the microphone on the unit.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:49 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

man. What a drag. I think my dealer/repair place is going to try and help me out. He did advise me to try and turn off the radio, get out, lock and unlock the doors, and then try starting the unit again, but that didn’t work. Funny story – this is actually voice to text dictation coming through the microphone on the unit.
is your car equipped with the Bose system and amplifier?
Old 01-13-2021, 10:36 PM
Geoffrey Deibel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mffarrell
is your car equipped with the Bose system and amplifier?
yes. 2004 986
Old 01-14-2021, 10:39 AM
Celbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check for sound before switching from CAN to AMP? I thought that was only for earlier models.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:43 PM
Geoffrey Deibel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Celbrett
Did you check for sound before switching from CAN to AMP? I thought that was only for earlier models.
yes I am 99.9 percent sure I did. I remember turning the volume **** and not hearing sound, then I remembered about the CAN/AMP thing. I also tried switching back to CAN just in case.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:44 AM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Just as a follow up here. I reached out to Sunset Porsche where I ordered my PCCM+. They told me they heard from Porsche who has acknowledged the amplifier issue with the analog cars, but do not yet have an official fix. I went ahead and ordered the Bergvill adapter above to see if it would fix my install. Will report back once it comes from Norway or wherever it ships from.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:54 AM
Geoffrey Deibel
5th Gear

yes I am 99.9 percent sure I did. I remember turning the volume **** and not hearing sound, then I remembered about the CAN/AMP thing. I also tried switching back to CAN just in case.
ok, problem solved. Turns out I’m an idiot. There’s the orange loop thing that comes in the install kit, and I thought it was to be plugged into the orange cord. I didn’t realize that there was a little cap on the port on the MOST box where you’re supposed to plug it in.

Yet another situation where actual directions would have helped...

Aside from this tomfoolery, this install was actually quite easy!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:27 AM
badger15
Rennlist Member

To add an additional wrench in this conundrum, I received the BergvillFX adapter that was recommended here for analog cars. Plugged things in and no sound. The adapter had what seemed to be like an extra brown plug. After looking around I've now realized that there are two different analog sound systems with amps. Some cars got a Hayes amp, but my car has a Bose amp. Not to be confused with the digital Bose system? So now I'm going to try this harness from BergvillFX to see if it will work? https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...96boxster-bose
Old 01-19-2021, 11:44 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by badger15
To add an additional wrench in this conundrum, I received the BergvillFX adapter that was recommended here for analog cars. Plugged things in and no sound. The adapter had what seemed to be like an extra brown plug. After looking around I've now realized that there are two different analog sound systems with amps. Some cars got a Hayes amp, but my car has a Bose amp. Not to be confused with the digital Bose system? So now I'm going to try this harness from BergvillFX to see if it will work? https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...96boxster-bose
Porsche actually used three different brands of amplifiers - Nokia, HAES, and BOSE. They also have different pin configurations for the coupe versus the cabriolet. BOSE is totally different. Crazy aint it?
Old 01-19-2021, 01:06 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Has anyone found a wiring diagram for the PCCM+ ? I am in communication with the Bergvill F/X team regarding a harness that might fix the gain issue, but they cannot commit to anything without knowing for sure what the pinout is for the PCCM+.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:31 AM
jh996tt02
6th Gear

Originally Posted by badger15
Has anyone found a wiring diagram for the PCCM+ ? I am in communication with the Bergvill F/X team regarding a harness that might fix the gain issue, but they cannot commit to anything without knowing for sure what the pinout is for the PCCM+.
Did the other adapter ever work for you (https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...boxster-bose)? I have 02 without M490 and wanted to check if that adapter will resolve my PCCM+ high volume gain/hiss issue.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND