Sponsored by:

PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 06:50 AM
Mike Scotland
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey996
I almost have mine installed in my 99. What is this wire? Guessing a ground but want to make sure. Coming from the cigarette lighter harness on passenger side.
Yes. This grounding wire would have connected to the metal frame for the PCM unit - there's a small black rectangle with metal prongs on it.

Just cover the end in electrical tape and tuck it off to the side. If you don't do this, you'll get a couple of beeps on the horn when you lock the car as its linked to the alarm.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:04 AM
Joey996
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Scotland
Yes. This grounding wire would have connected to the metal frame for the PCM unit - there's a small black rectangle with metal prongs on it.

Just cover the end in electrical tape and tuck it off to the side. If you don't do this, you'll get a couple of beeps on the horn when you lock the car as its linked to the alarm.

I thought so. Thank you for confirming.

Joey
Old 07-03-2022, 09:33 PM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I’m looking for advice on installing the PCCM+ in my 2003 C4S. Is this adapter what I need to connect the PCCCM+ directly to the speakers? My car has aftermarket speakers and no amp. Is it possible to connect the PCCM+ directly to the speakers? My car came with the Bose in dash CD player with the Bose fiber optic amp, but that no longer is in the car.
Thank you.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:27 PM
bobthejob
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charha01
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I’m looking for advice on installing the PCCM+ in my 2003 C4S. Is this adapter what I need to connect the PCCCM+ directly to the speakers? My car has aftermarket speakers and no amp. Is it possible to connect the PCCM+ directly to the speakers? My car came with the Bose in dash CD player with the Bose fiber optic amp, but that no longer is in the car.
Thank you.
I don't know what adapter you are talking about, but yes - it should be possible to connect your speakers directly to the PCCM+ using a standard connector (usually a red rectangular connector)
Old 07-12-2022, 11:33 AM
charha01
Instructor

Thanks for the response! I've been told that the PCCM+ has no (or very little) power and that connecting it directly to the speakers would result in low or no sound. Can you confirm this? Also, if you know of the proper adapter to allow for direct speaker connection, please let me know as I've searched and cannot find any info on this. When I asked Porsche, they said (not unexpectedly) that they recommend that I take this to an authorized dealer for the install and not attempt it on my own.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:01 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by charha01
Thanks for the response! I've been told that the PCCM+ has no (or very little) power and that connecting it directly to the speakers would result in low or no sound. Can you confirm this? Also, if you know of the proper adapter to allow for direct speaker connection, please let me know as I've searched and cannot find any info on this. When I asked Porsche, they said (not unexpectedly) that they recommend that I take this to an authorized dealer for the install and not attempt it on my own.
That hasn’t been my experience. I installed a PCCM+ in my GT3, which relies on head-unit amplification from factory (headunit to speakers, no external amp). I’ve found it slightly “over amplified”; there is slightly audible white noise when he unit is on. There is a hidden menu to configure the headunit for MOST or analogue amplification, it’s possible you have that set incorrectly.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:41 PM
charha01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Body In White
That hasn’t been my experience. I installed a PCCM+ in my GT3, which relies on head-unit amplification from factory (headunit to speakers, no external amp). I’ve found it slightly “over amplified”; there is slightly audible white noise when he unit is on. There is a hidden menu to configure the headunit for MOST or analogue amplification, it’s possible you have that set incorrectly.
Thanks for this info. I was told it "required" an amp. I'm trying to use it with the Bose amp that came with my car, but if that fails, I will try the direct to speakers method. For the direct to speakers connection, was there a factory connector that just plugged directly into the PCCM+ unit, or did you buy an adapter and if so, which one did you get?
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2022, 04:53 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

'Factory connector from the CDR23 and plugged it straight into the PCCM+
The following users liked this post:
charha01 (07-15-2022)
Old 03-26-2023, 05:15 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

And now it‘s my turn to have issues after 5 succesful PCCM installations in 996/986 and a few 997‘s (never had any issues whatsoever before today, still love the product!):

I‘m having the no-sound problem with my 2004 986 S with BOSE and MOST (no CD-changer) after converting from a CDR 23.

No sound, re-did all the connections, replaced MOST-module on PCCM with another one i had from a previous install, plugged the old CDR23 back in to double-check (worked flawless), got some sound at some point for 3 seconds followed by silence again.

Starting to think that the PCCM might be faulty… Any suggestions on this?

Last edited by Yannick-HST; 03-26-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:29 AM
srop816
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
And now it‘s my turn to have issues after 5 succesful PCCM installations in 996/986 and a few 997‘s (never had any issues whatsoever before today, still love the product!):

I‘m having the no-sound problem with my 2004 986 S with BOSE and MOST (no CD-changer) after converting from a CDR 23.

No sound, re-did all the connections, replaced MOST-module on PCCM with another one i had from a previous install, plugged the old CDR23 back in to double-check (worked flawless), got some sound at some point for 3 seconds followed by silence again.

If you have done multiple installs of PCCM with success and now this one is not working, i'd say possible faulty PCCM.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:10 PM
mdisalvo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST

Sounds like faulty PCCM to me. Unless maybe the amp is going out and you're just getting really unlucky with the timing of it going in/out...which I doubt is the case.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:43 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: Problem solved!

Turns out that neither of the PCCM´s was faulty, nor was my installation! The early BOSE Amps (Part no. 996 645 333 02/ 996 645 333 03) have an older software that doesn´t communicate with the PCCM+ Most-control unit.

There are two possible solutions to this problem:
  • Buy a new BOSE Amp at the dealer: 1.084,49€
or...
  • Send the old BOSE-Amp to AMP Performance Klick me! and have them update the software of the Amp for 196,35€!
I did just that and everything works as it should now! :-) After contacting Mr. Gomille via e-Mail he reached out to me within 10 Minutes to discuss the issue. After explaining everything i´ve done so far to locate the problem he mentioned that he once had a similar case where the update of the software worked. We decided to go that route so i removed the Amp and sent it in. It took him about a week to get it done (I didn´t bother since he informed me beforehand that they´re busy atm) and when I got it back today it worked from the moment it was plugged in!

Very happy with the outcome! Extremely satisfied customer here! :-)

Go check them out if you run into similar issues!
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:27 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

I would love to know how you debugged that problem to figure out it was the amp software?
Old 04-22-2023, 12:43 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

After testing out three different PCCM‘s (from different production dates as well) it became kinda obvious that the Amp had to somehow be the troublemaker.

I then started searching around for options to get someone to check and potentially ‚repair‘ it (since it was still working perfectly fine with the CDR) and, to be brutally honest, I just got lucky to find that one repair place straight away that knows their stuff well enough to figure out that the software had to be an issue.

We had a detailed conversation on the phone figuring out possible problems and solutions and it was Mr. Gomilles idea to give that a try! All credit to him! 🙂👍
Old 04-22-2023, 03:35 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Incredible. It’s info like this that makes this forum and its user indispensable. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND