996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 10:14 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Keep on going, please video an post I have watched all of your stuff. How much do they charge for a track day?? Last time I did was In 2013 so I’m completely out of touch with that. I did spent $21 on two gallons of 104 today to add to mine, level was reading a 1/4 so kind of sort 50 percent mix.
SCCA Track Night in America is the best $165 you can spend, 3 20 min sessions. Full day with clubs, 4-6 sessions $350-450. PCA, not sure as I have never run with them.

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
“Washed and ready for glory. Waiting for my partner in crime and we’re off to the track.

GD that is a sexy beast right there.”

^^^^ That’s cuz it’s a race car dammit!
You are smart my guy ! But...its a race car thats driven on the road on street tires and holds its own on the track.

Originally Posted by Justin76
Jason, it looks like you changes the bases of the wing .. any reason why? or am i just crazy and missed it ?
I run Demon Speed uprights. 1. They look baller 2. They get the wing up higher than the uprights that came on the car I stole the setup off of 3. They look baller

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Sure is! What tire sizes are you running? This is goals for my 99 C2 but I could use more contact patch for better grip out back. Thanks!

edit: I think I found it from a few pages back-
Wheels / Tires:
BBS E88 18x9+50 F, 18x11+67 R
ECS 10MM Front Spacer
Nitto NT01 245 F 305 R
Rear wheel wells clearance aggresively
Thats the ticket my man...

Back from the track and settling in - No PB today and I can't blame it on traffic. The advanced group was very well behaved and on all but a couple occasions, I received prompt point by's. Gave my first point by in a couple track days today, a C7 Corvette driven by someone who knew what they were doing. Had fun driving behind him until traffic got a little tight.

I struggled for grip today, first time on these tires I could say that. A lot more wheel inputs and feeling the car move underneath me. Lap times were pretty consistent but slower than I want to be, best of the day a 1:21.5 - about a second off my best and I could not get the car around the track any faster.

I believe the oil level made an measurable improvement in oil pressure. Not sure what happened on lap 7 of the last session seen below, but it was an outlier. Stay tuned to the oil pressure instability thread for Paul's analysis of the data - I cautiously optimistic from my quick review. Also - look at the data below ! I got my ***** back on the brakes !!! back to over -1.2G... I'd say my ABS misadventure is behind me

All in all - an awesome day with Aaron, no PB but got some good experience driving with degraded levels of grip and really pushing myself in those conditions, so much fun. Met the guy with the FSI car, really nice guy and always nice to play with another 996 on track. Off to review the video and data, I'll add the YT link to the video when it's done. Question for you guys that like the videos.

Data or no data
Choice laps or whole session

I'd appreciate the feedback.

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Ratchet1025 (09-01-2021), user 8298308 (09-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 10:38 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Nothing more exciting than mitigating oil pressure instability. Glad it may have improved.

Regarding videos, I like it just the way you are doing them now. It's good to see the measurements. Look at what you have been doing as a best laps highlight film. You can always release the whole session as another video for those that want to watch it all. I suspect you may get a few of us motor heads to watch a complete session.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 10:19 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks for the feedback Glenn, it’s always appreciated.
GC996 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 10:28 AM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
SCCA Track Night in America is the best $165 you can spend, 3 20 min sessions. Full day with clubs, 4-6 sessions $350-450. PCA, not sure as I have never run with them.

You are smart my guy ! But...its a race car thats driven on the road on street tires and holds its own on the track.

I run Demon Speed uprights. 1. They look baller 2. They get the wing up higher than the uprights that came on the car I stole the setup off of 3. They look baller

Thats the ticket my man...

Back from the track and settling in - No PB today and I can't blame it on traffic. The advanced group was very well behaved and on all but a couple occasions, I received prompt point by's. Gave my first point by in a couple track days today, a C7 Corvette driven by someone who knew what they were doing. Had fun driving behind him until traffic got a little tight.

I struggled for grip today, first time on these tires I could say that. A lot more wheel inputs and feeling the car move underneath me. Lap times were pretty consistent but slower than I want to be, best of the day a 1:21.5 - about a second off my best and I could not get the car around the track any faster.

I believe the oil level made an measurable improvement in oil pressure. Not sure what happened on lap 7 of the last session seen below, but it was an outlier. Stay tuned to the oil pressure instability thread for Paul's analysis of the data - I cautiously optimistic from my quick review. Also - look at the data below ! I got my ***** back on the brakes !!! back to over -1.2G... I'd say my ABS misadventure is behind me

All in all - an awesome day with Aaron, no PB but got some good experience driving with degraded levels of grip and really pushing myself in those conditions, so much fun. Met the guy with the FSI car, really nice guy and always nice to play with another 996 on track. Off to review the video and data, I'll add the YT link to the video when it's done. Question for you guys that like the videos.

Data or no data
Choice laps or whole session

I'd appreciate the feedback.

two things..
1.lets chat on PM about the upgrights as I couldn't find them on there page just the custom uprights..

2. lap 7 looks like it had a low min in OP or am i just reading this wrong
Old 09-01-2021 | 11:04 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Yeah, something weird with Lap 7… not sure.

Here’s the link to the demon speed web site https://www.demonspeedmotorsports.co...-996-A-WU6.htm
Justin76 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 11:43 AM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Here's a zoom in on that low pressure point in the table from lap 7. It occurs at low RPM, low engine load, but high G's, in a right turn. And is outside the engine risk mask. We see a drop here on every lap. This is where we should argue about how much damage a bearing can pick up outside the risk zone. Oil pressure does not follow RPM closely, so there must be air in there... Risk, no risk?? I'll cross post this

Ratchet1025 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 01:13 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

I vote for the data on the video's. I like to look at that stuff also..

I think you should post the whole thing in raw footage as soon as possible, then do an edited "highlight" one in a couple days when you have time.

My oldest Son who races in SECCA dirt bike series has a friend who video's all the races for his class. That's the way he does it and every one loves it... He posts the "raw footage" the night after the race, then does an "edited highlight video" a couple days later when he has time..

The UAOS with hm/XTDD is proving to be worth it weight in Gold !!!

The outlier in lap 7 can be understood as a "rogue wave" IMHO......... I think the UIDS v2.2 will cure this...

Last edited by Porschetech3; 09-01-2021 at 01:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
GC996 (09-02-2021), user 8298308 (09-04-2021), zbomb (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 03:12 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Yeah, something weird with Lap 7… not sure.

Here’s the link to the demon speed web site https://www.demonspeedmotorsports.co...-996-A-WU6.htm
I think it's worth taking a closer look if it was me..
Old 09-01-2021 | 03:29 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Yeah - understanding the conditions that cause an outlier has value - if you can get to a point to understanding 😀

Less than 24HRS since the data was collected and no race engineers around… Paul is pretty GD close but he has a real job.

Give some time and we’ll see what we see…

Worth refreshing the offer, for anyone interested in downloading the free Aim RS3 software HERE that is used to review the data - I am happy to share my data upon request.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Justin76 (09-02-2021), Ratchet1025 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-02-2021 | 12:45 PM
zbomb
Race Car

I’m proud of this so reposting here for anyone not following the oil pressure instability thread.

Here’s what the results of full oil on the shorter dip stick look like.

Keep in mind, still limited sample size but after trying: scavenge pumps, bypass, creeping oil level up after addition of the UAOS drain back, we finally have documented progress in the right direction with good comparative data sets.

Thanks Paul for painting the picture we need to see - you are a MAN !

Originally Posted by golock911
by request, here's an overview of 6/01 and 8/31. Fun. I hope we never thought this was OK.

Much improved.

Which one of these glasses depicts the state of oil aeration when on the track? The further the oil moves due to G's, the closer you get to picking up the foam.

​​​​​​​
The following 4 users liked this post by zbomb:
golock911 (09-02-2021), Jnelso (09-02-2021), Porschetech3 (09-02-2021), Ratchet1025 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021 | 02:12 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Yeah - understanding the conditions that cause an outlier has value - if you can get to a point to understanding 😀

Less than 24HRS since the data was collected and no race engineers around… Paul is pretty GD close but he has a real job.

Give some time and we’ll see what we see…

Worth refreshing the offer, for anyone interested in downloading the free Aim RS3 software HERE that is used to review the data - I am happy to share my data upon request.
I agree. understanding the data is important and I wish i could help but I'm not that tech savy in this area.. Looking forward to the answers and solutions
Old 09-02-2021 | 06:41 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Justin76
I agree. understanding the data is important and I wish i could help but I'm not that tech savy in this area.. Looking forward to the answers and solutions
Haha - me neither. I’m super lucky I’ve got a Paul though.
golock911 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021 | 11:26 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Disgusting / beautiful E88's with fresh pads and rotors behind them - CHECK

Just hold on a little longer - you guys have been real troopers

Porschetech3 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 01:00 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Porsche makes quite a resilient corner marker.

This guy decided he wanted fresh air and the fresh air inspired him to fight the tire.

A little worse for wear, the fight ended in a draw and both walked away. If anyone has an amber they no longer want - could use drivers side.

Old 09-04-2021 | 03:14 PM
zbomb
Race Car

I just went back and looked, these tires have around QTY 40 20 MIN Sessions on them - NT01's rule. Although, I think its pretty clear in the video below - they've lived their best life.

RyanH. (09-04-2021)

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996