Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 09:12 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,282 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by yaz996
Just need to find the time. After a handful of runs on the new suspension and rubber, I think my next upgrade needs to be the driver.
You digging the new setup Yaz ? I saw that pic you posted in the black car thread, you're car is looking fire !

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Opening up the wheel arch liners will help significantly. We did this on every race car we built in addition to making our own radiator shrouds to improve airflow.

When I was tracking both my Boxster and Cayman, I eliminated one of the two a/c condensers on both cars like how Porsche did it on the GT3. Didn't hurt the function of the a/c at all except if the car was baking in the sun and it was ridiculously hot and humid outside. It just takes a little longer to catch up in those instances. We ended up making kits for these, but I only have them for 987/997 and later models currently :-(
Opening up the liner is a really good free tip Charles, I'm going to do that before my next track day...

Since you're here, couple questions I hope you can provide your experience on:

What did you like to see for temps on the race cars you built for oil and water ?

For someone that runs your deep sump / baffle and XP9 and still experiences dips and instability of oil pressure - Is oil temp control the next step in trying to mitigate the issue ?

Are pressure drops with the parts mentioned above down to 20PSI at 3.8K RPM unique to my case in your opinion or something you see often ?

Mucho thanks in advance !
Old 04-12-2021, 09:26 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Throwing it out there... I'm looking for a budget set of cat deletes... I want to modify them and have small mufflers welded in roughly where the cats would be.... When I say budget... I mean budget...

If anyone has a bead on a set, let me know.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:28 PM
Jnelso
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Interested in opening up wheel arch liners. Anyone provide the basic procedure to do so?
Old 04-12-2021, 09:31 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,100 Posts

There's a writeup on Pelican. Basically you cut vertical slots in the liners like the Turbo/GT2 liners have. The lines to cut along are already in the liners, as I recall.
The following users liked this post:
jobyt (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Jnelso
Racer

Originally Posted by theprf
There's a writeup on Pelican. Basically you cut vertical slots in the liners like the Turbo/GT2 liners have. The lines to cut along are already in the liners, as I recall.
Yeah, I have seen that but I thought that was just to improve cooling to the brakes.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 PM
theprf
Race Car

Oh BTW Jason the difference in handling between your car and mine is like night and day. I'm sort-of herding the car along and yours is going right where you want it. HBdunn's car is the same way your car is. I need to improve the precision of this car - it can't be all me for pete's sake. I'm sure the extra 700 pounds isn't helping but the difference is ridiculous. Now that I have the mechanicals sorted out I need to address the suspension. When I get back from this trip I'd like to find out what you have done for suspension parts; I'm sure mine is mostly original and needs replaced.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 PM
theprf
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jnelso
Yeah, I have seen that but I thought that was just to improve cooling to the brakes.
I think it's mostly to improve the airflow out of the radiators. Perhaps Charles Navarro will elaborate on what he's done to clarify.
Jnelso (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 09:41 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Here you go.
The following 2 users liked this post by jobyt:
RC713 (04-20-2021), zbomb (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 09:48 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Oh BTW Jason the difference in handling between your car and mine is like night and day. I'm sort-of herding the car along and yours is going right where you want it. HBdunn's car is the same way your car is. I need to improve the precision of this car - it can't be all me for pete's sake. I'm sure the extra 700 pounds isn't helping but the difference is ridiculous. Now that I have the mechanicals sorted out I need to address the suspension. When I get back from this trip I'd like to find out what you have done for suspension parts; I'm sure mine is mostly original and needs replaced.
It's working well - at my current still very novice skill, its easy to drive and neutral. I would be more than happy to help someone else spend money so you let me know when you're ready !

Watching the Palmer video and the ton of other footage I have is kind of cringy because I critique each corner and how easily it looks from the couch I could have / should have gone faster. I have the data to use in tandem with the video and it paints an interesting picture that shows, I have a long way to go as a driver. But, I am pretty happy with the progression - I am able to feel more in the car and its slowing down for me a lot more than even just a couple track days ago - step by step, brick by brick !
Old 04-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Jnelso
Racer

Originally Posted by zbomb
It's working well - at my current still very novice skill, its easy to drive and neutral. I would be more than happy to help someone else spend money so you let me know when you're ready !

Watching the Palmer video and the ton of other footage I have is kind of cringy because I critique each corner and how easily it looks from the couch I could have / should have gone faster. I have the data to use in tandem with the video and it paints an interesting picture that shows, I have a long way to go as a driver. But, I am pretty happy with the progression - I am able to feel more in the car and its slowing down for me a lot more than even just a couple track days ago - step by step, brick by brick !
You guys are making me nervous, I may have to trade in my B8 Bilsteins and H&R springs for coilovers.
zbomb (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 PM
zbomb
Race Car

You guys are making me nervous, I may have to trade in my B8 Bilsteins and H&R springs for coilovers.
F YEAH ! Let me help spend some of your money too !

Not that I want to be a bad influence on anyones finances... But I do, I really do want to be a bad influence on your finances
Old 04-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Jnelso
Racer

Originally Posted by zbomb
F YEAH ! Let me help spend some of your money too !

Not that I want to be a bad influence on anyones finances... But I do, I really do want to be a bad influence on your finances
I know its always better to have a partner in crime.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:02 PM
Jnelso
Racer

There was a great quote from someone previously on Rennlist that said its OK to list your expenses just don’t add them up.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:07 PM
zbomb
Race Car

I know its always better to have a partner in crime.
Forgiveness not permission brother - learn it, live it, go faster

There was a great quote from someone previously on Rennlist that said its OK to list your expenses just don’t add them up.
Smart dude !
Jnelso (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:37 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 382 Posts

FWIW

I don't have the data you have but my day at Palmer I didn't see oil temps above 220F measured from the factory sensor. It was only about 50 degrees that day. I also recently installed a center radiator and while I was only going by the dash gauge it ran cooler than any of my previous track days.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996