Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 09:15 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
​​​​​​Jason, Car sounds fantastic. You are looking smooth as silk with you inputs! Congrats man. Are there as many elevation changes as it looks from the footage? Tough enough to learn a track in one direction. Gotta be a he'll of a lot tougher to learn it in the other direction. Especially as you are seeing markers and sights from the opposite side. How did the drainage work on the aos?
Thanks Glenn - YES... ****load of elevation change.... not a lot of flat actually. I'm not sure the video even does them justice...

The remote accumulator...accumulator... (Patent Pending ) worked and no leaks from any of the fittings.

Kind of hard to tell from the pic, but you can see the oil that was caught during the day - I'll empty it tomorrow and give you an idea of the volume - but I'm happy it worked... the thing should hold almost a QT of oil, so if I manage to fill it and back up to the UAOS accumulator to trigger the warning, well, then things have went real south... I bought a replacement diaphragm for ****s and giggles but it didn't get here in time so I'll throw it in and see if that makes a difference for the next track day (the 22nd) but don't have high hopes. I am going to try to run leak down and compression on the motor before as well... that should give an indication if I have a cylinder seal issue at the heart of this pushing oil problem. If both leak down and compression are good - then I'll be on a mission to identify what's going on. If bad - run it as long as its making power, keep it full of oil and empty the remote accumulator....accumulator (Patent Pending ) as needed and start planning for what will come next.

Also, I have the car back in the air for checkover and thought I would post a snap of the NT01... these have 15 sessions (20 min) or about 5HRS run time on them... Really happy with the even wearing and the life I'm getting out of them. I expect to see some degradation as the ambient temps rise, but impressed so far.

The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 09:56 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,739 Likes on 2,143 Posts

NT01s look great. Heard great things about them but can't find them in the regular "stock" size. I have 2 sets of 5 spoke Carerra wheels that are light as he'll that I take to the track. Putting in a wish list for a bigger set of rims to run more variation of tires.

I like what you are engineering for the AOS. After going to a GT3 motorsport AOS years ago, haven't experienced any problems. However, I haven't dug into any details like you have, and you got me thinking. Going to go to UAOS for the next one, but the car is 19 years old and therefore not a spring chicken. It's at the age that the "little" things matter on the track. Still can't forget when my stock AOS stoped working and I was blowing smoke then flames out the exhaust at the track and was black flagged. Probably in 2005. This was way before a complete understanding of the AOS failures, and the track workers/PCA thought my car was on fire. The initial remedy at the time was to let your car idle about 30 minutes after coming off the track to get the oil back in its proper place. Hah! Keep doing what you are doing! You are providing workable solutions for a great car.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:32 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Thanks Glenn - YES... ****load of elevation change.... not a lot of flat actually. I'm not sure the video even does them justice...

The remote accumulator...accumulator... (Patent Pending ) worked and no leaks from any of the fittings.

Kind of hard to tell from the pic, but you can see the oil that was caught during the day - I'll empty it tomorrow and give you an idea of the volume - but I'm happy it worked... the thing should hold almost a QT of oil, so if I manage to fill it and back up to the UAOS accumulator to trigger the warning, well, then things have went real south... I bought a replacement diaphragm for ****s and giggles but it didn't get here in time so I'll throw it in and see if that makes a difference for the next track day (the 22nd) but don't have high hopes. I am going to try to run leak down and compression on the motor before as well... that should give an indication if I have a cylinder seal issue at the heart of this pushing oil problem. If both leak down and compression are good - then I'll be on a mission to identify what's going on. If bad - run it as long as its making power, keep it full of oil and empty the remote accumulator....accumulator (Patent Pending ) as needed and start planning for what will come next.

Also, I have the car back in the air for checkover and thought I would post a snap of the NT01... these have 15 sessions (20 min) or about 5HRS run time on them... Really happy with the even wearing and the life I'm getting out of them. I expect to see some degradation as the ambient temps rise, but impressed so far.

Thanks for posting the NT01s, this gives me hope. I have run about 10 sessions on my rears (down 2mm to 4mm left) and 5 sessions on the Fronts (down 1mm to 5mm tread left). I will be switching to the back-up Michelins for the time being until the Mid-O event in June. I am super impressed with the overall grip and predictability. The NT01s are very sensitive to the exact correct tire pressures, but once they are dialed in...WOW!
Old 05-11-2021, 07:55 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by GC996
NT01s look great. Heard great things about them but can't find them in the regular "stock" size. I have 2 sets of 5 spoke Carerra wheels that are light as he'll that I take to the track. Putting in a wish list for a bigger set of rims to run more variation of tires.

I like what you are engineering for the AOS. After going to a GT3 motorsport AOS years ago, haven't experienced any problems. However, I haven't dug into any details like you have, and you got me thinking. Going to go to UAOS for the next one, but the car is 19 years old and therefore not a spring chicken. It's at the age that the "little" things matter on the track. Still can't forget when my stock AOS stoped working and I was blowing smoke then flames out the exhaust at the track and was black flagged. Probably in 2005. This was way before a complete understanding of the AOS failures, and the track workers/PCA thought my car was on fire. The initial remedy at the time was to let your car idle about 30 minutes after coming off the track to get the oil back in its proper place. Hah! Keep doing what you are doing! You are providing workable solutions for a great car.
I love the UAOS Glenn, without it, it is very clear I would have ingested a lot more oil into the combustion cycle than I have. This seems to be an issue that I am struggling with more than my buddies, and it makes the UAOS that much more important for me. Truth be told - The pushing oil problem has been a real PIA. My manometer testing throws weird numbers when I run for both AOS function and blow by. Either acceptable, when it looks like there's an issue or too perfect to be true. I leak test the Vac system looking for any signs a vacuum leak may be throwing the numbers and it's locked up tight as a drum. Which is leading me to, maybe its just a cylinder sealing issue to which I am not going to fix and will just have to live with for the duration I can or have to.

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Thanks for posting the NT01s, this gives me hope. I have run about 10 sessions on my rears (down 2mm to 4mm left) and 5 sessions on the Fronts (down 1mm to 5mm tread left). I will be switching to the back-up Michelins for the time being until the Mid-O event in June. I am super impressed with the overall grip and predictability. The NT01s are very sensitive to the exact correct tire pressures, but once they are dialed in...WOW!
I agree Randy - when I could not get them up to temp, and pressure - they were not giving what I wanted. When they are working though, I love them. I plan to run these down to the cords, will likely go through 2 sets this year if I get in all the days I would like.

Beauty of needing a new set of tires... you can send the deceased ones off in style
Old 05-12-2021, 05:33 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Regarding your oil issue, have you checked the condition of the scavenge pumps? If they are worn you will pool oil and it will splash/push into the PCV system in hard turns.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:41 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick_L
Regarding your oil issue, have you checked the condition of the scavenge pumps? If they are worn you will pool oil and it will splash/push into the PCV system in hard turns.
Nope - may be something to do in the off season if plan is to run the motor next year.

Also - bought another set of pads to try, going to the more aggressive Hawk DTC 60 for track days, will likely continue to run the HP+ on the street.

As I now have a bunch of timing and G force data, should be interesting to see if any difference aside from feel can be quantified with the data I’m collecting.

Didn’t get the oil volume measured last night as I planned, got sidetracked in a wheel mounting battle with de jeeper and had to ice up after... I’ll get that figured out tonight though.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post17424117

Running back at Palmer on the 22nd, same direction as last day - hoping the improvement seen over the last session I did there continues and hbdunn and jneslo will be there so we’ll be represented well.

Last edited by zbomb; 05-12-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:47 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 899 Posts

Saw your wheel change video last night - you my friend are a legend and a good sport hah!
Old 05-12-2021, 10:57 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by plpete84
Saw your wheel change video last night - you my friend are a legend and a good sport hah!
Haha, thanks Bro - that was a fun change of pace !

Man, if I had not started the threads by hand, gotta do it though... I visibly cringed when I saw de jeeper go straight to the impact.... bad memories of stripped threads for me... but I gotta say, he looked slick A F doing it.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:09 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Man, if I had not started the threads by hand, gotta do it though... I visibly cringed when I saw de jeeper go straight to the impact.... bad memories of stripped threads for me... but I gotta say, he looked slick A F doing it.
I've had a chance to meet Aaron (De Jeeper) in person - the man speaks softly and carries an impact gun Perhaps a brake pad swap challenge is next?
zbomb (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 02:39 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Round nascar style tips and course thread nuts from msi. As u already said they r the vendor of choice for the nascar and race crowd. These studs/nuts r designed to be installed with the impact and not cross thread.

Originally Posted by plpete84
I've had a chance to meet Aaron (De Jeeper) in person - the man speaks softly and carries an impact gun Perhaps a brake pad swap challenge is next?

i dont think i want this challenge. I was suuuuuper careful with the caliper bolts. No need to rush that repair.
plpete84 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 08:55 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks to TheChunkNorris for sending me on a little trip down memory lane thanks to a post he made in his build thread HERE

INSPIRATION.... http://www.speedhunters.com/2008/09/...gt300_porsche/

This is my roots and I love it...thats all

Last edited by zbomb; 05-13-2021 at 09:02 PM.
TheChunkNorris (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:11 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,018 Likes on 936 Posts

Thanks to TheChunkNorris for sending me on a little trip down memory lane thanks to a post he made in his build thread HERE

INSPIRATION.... http://www.speedhunters.com/2008/09/...gt300_porsche/

This is my roots and I love it...thats all

https://youtu.be/hCwKf_zFUIs
Bro that’s awesome! My favorites were the Advan GT3 and the Falken GT3.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:26 AM
plpete84
Drifting

You should definitely run that muffler set up with a diffuser hah Love the JDM flare on these!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:22 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Long one incoming...

1st

Installed the GT3 Lip TheChunkNorris sent me. So...turns out installing a GT3 lip on a stock .2 bumper is easy peasy. Thanks a bunch Joel for sending it to me - I never would have spent the money without knowing if I could get it to fit, now I know - Thank You !!!

So, putting it on... Line it up in roughly the spot you want it

Drill holes through the lip into the bumper big enough to fit M6 bolts. Drill a hole, install bolt through it, washer and nut from the other side. The forward most nuts are a little tough as you have to get them between the bumper base and the short overhang on the inside of the bumper. Super glue the nut to the washer, slide it in the small recess and feel around for the bolt.

Thats it... If I did not have to go the get the hardware...1/2 hour job if the bumper is off - Mind you, I am pretty paranoid about bolting stuff to the outside of the car that will bear an aero load as my car sees triple digit speeds very regularly... I am confident... This thing aint going no where.

Next

As I had the bumper off, I figured I would clearance the front fender liners a bit and also add some slots to allow air coming out of the rads to escape... It's kind of ugly, it may, or may not work... we'll see if it makes any difference. I feel better the air has some place to go and hopefully my front tires will have a little more breathing room at full steering lock.

Next, Next

Put that stuff back on the car and moved on to the pad swap. Nothing remarkable here. Off with HP+ and on with DTC60.

Front - old, I think 5 track days on the left.

Rear - same deal as front except, old on the right

Last, and least. I finally drained out my UAOS accumulator...accumulator. Here's how much oil it caught in 2 HRS of track time and 1 HR street driving.

The following 4 users liked this post by zbomb:
GC996 (05-15-2021), paddlefoot64 (05-15-2021), Ratchet1025 (05-16-2021), TheChunkNorris (05-24-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 09:29 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,536 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Waiting on these to come in to finish up the high mileage / Extreme Track duty automatic self-draining feature for the UAOS. This will screw into the drain plug threads on the bottom of the Accumulator, thea a 3/8 hose to a pressure fitting on the oil fill tube.

Banjo fitting to 3/8 hose
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
TexSquirrel (05-15-2021), zbomb (05-15-2021)

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996