Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 06:48 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnelso
Aaron, would love to see your 996 TT, hope you bring it to Thompson on the 22nd.
Aaron - You have officially been peer pressured, I would advise you respond accordingly.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:18 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
You've run the car for a long time, very successfully - whatever you're doing, I would keep doing it. Your car is a great example of the brighter side of 996 use as a track car, a brighter side that is not often put in the light.
if only I could figure out how to change the oil without a catastrophe occurring...
Old 04-11-2021, 09:56 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by GC996
if only I could figure out how to change the oil without a catastrophe occurring...
Man - you have a great thing going - don't sweat the small stuff - Just keep driving the wheels off it and showing the GT3's of the world a C2 wielded by a bad man is something to fear and respect..

FWIW - I've had a catastrophe changing my oil haha ! It was like the Exxon Valdeez - just replace the once pristine water off the Alaskan coast with my garage floor and the crude with sweet, sweet XP9... what a cluster !

Last edited by zbomb; 04-11-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:08 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 428 Posts

Aaron - You have officially been peer pressured, I would advise you respond accordingly.
Glad I'm not in Massachusetts. I can feel the heat from here!

I'm sorry I'm not in Mass, because I'd be ALL IN!! After I'd found a roller and built it up...

Nice work gang! I love this thread!
Old 04-11-2021, 10:16 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by golock911
Glad I'm not in Massachusetts. I can feel the heat from here!

I'm sorry I'm not in Mass, because I'd be ALL IN!! After I'd found a roller and built it up...

Nice work gang! I love this thread!
We could have a West Coast Chapter... you and my guy jobyt... you just have to recruit another bad *** 996'r... HAS TO BE A BAD *** or no admission to the gang.
The following users liked this post:
jobyt (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:42 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

It can't hurt - the oil temps could certainly stand to come down. The data shows there is instability in pressure when the oil is hot, and that where pressure was dropping, the hotter oil caused it to drop further.

Ideally, I'd like to get rid of the dip there... the hotter oil is exacerbating the issue.

Water temp although not shown in the data above at the points being referenced was 210 F and 194 F.

So, a 3rd RAD with the bigger 997 cooler coupled with an oil feed solution to get rid of the dip to begin would be the solution I would like to implement. I may get the 3rd RAD and plan to install before the JUN track days, we'll see... because the water temps have always seemed to be manageable, I did not want to spend the money if it wasn't needed, kind of sucks that it may end up being the case as a way to address the oil temp issue.
I'm running the 2L deep sump and 3rd radiator in addition to CSF side radiators. I want to increase the airflow and have been contemplating deleting the AC as I hardly ever use it, though I may be able to clean up the air vectors with GT3 wheel arch liners.

Nice lines out there today. The former (bike) racer in me kept wanting to dive the corners to overtake that traffic...ESPECIALLY that Acura (?) sedan. I was yelling "DUDE - YEILD TO FASTER TRAFFIC instead of clogging the line...."
But that would have been a dick move on my part...

Last edited by jobyt; 04-11-2021 at 11:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jobyt:
Ratchet1025 (04-12-2021), zbomb (04-12-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:44 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

We could have a West Coast Chapter... you and my guy jobyt... you just have to recruit another bad *** 996'r... HAS TO BE A BAD *** or no admission to the gang.
IN!!
zbomb (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:17 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Jason, our conversation yesterday coupled with the direction of this thread on water and oil cooling got me checking what Charles at LN engineering has for oil cooling. He does have Bilt oil to water heat exchanger.

Charles, if you see this, can you comment of how this works, additional parts needed, configurations with additional water cooling, bottom line: your thoughts, options and recommendations, etc? Appreciate any insight.

Since we have a lot of seasoned folks within RL, maybe a few can share what they have done regarding water and oil cooling. What parts are you using, how did you address it, and has it worked?

At the end of the day for all of us, its about prolonging the life of our engines. Jason has the analytics to measure water and oil temps, plus oil pressure thru a complete lap on track, which will help to quantify the issues or potential issues.

He and many of us have the 2 quart deep sump w/ baffle, and either a motorsport AOS or UAOS. The next question is what else is needed? Maybe nothing, maybe more cooling.

For those that don't drive their cars on the track, you can also potentially benefit from these specific mods which may result in engine longevity. Too many garage queens have problems thru lack of exercising your car, inadequate service and preventative parts and care. But that's a whole other topic.

Last edited by GC996; 04-12-2021 at 06:31 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GC996:
Jnelso (04-12-2021), Porschetech3 (04-12-2021), Ratchet1025 (04-12-2021), zbomb (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Glenn - Check out THIS THREAD ON OIL COOLERS I started a bit ago.

To sum it up - a setup using LN's Cayenne spec cooler and a 3rd rad has reportedly been done successfully. I would love to see data showing the affects - especially because accomplishing that setup is 1. A lot of work the oil cooler is not the most accessible part bolted to the motor) and 2. it's a lot of money... So - it would certainly be preferable to know what you're getting.

Which is why I put the data system on the car, where that stuff doesn't exist or isn't made available - I'll publish whatever I get. So, if I do go that route, I'll share all the data.
plpete84 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:27 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Would it be possible to mill an aluminum plate with nipples so as to relocate the cooler to a more easy location to work with and or physically alter its shape and size to your benefit?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:33 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Glenn - Check out THIS THREAD ON OIL COOLERS I started a bit ago.

To sum it up - a setup using LN's Cayenne spec cooler and a 3rd rad has reportedly been done successfully. I would love to see data showing the affects - especially because accomplishing that setup is 1. A lot of work the oil cooler is not the most accessible part bolted to the motor) and 2. it's a lot of money... So - it would certainly be preferable to know what you're getting.

Which is why I put the data system on the car, where that stuff doesn't exist or isn't made available - I'll publish whatever I get. So, if I do go that route, I'll share all the data.

Thanks Jason. Somehow I completely missed the thread. Good info. The problem with having a great car like the 996 is you spend too much time thinking about how to make it better, faster and stronger. But...we all need a vice don't we.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:38 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by nrp3
Would it be possible to mill an aluminum plate with nipples so as to relocate the cooler to a more easy location to work with and or physically alter its shape and size to your benefit?
Check the link I posted - it has some details on exactly what you're talking about - LN beat ya to the punch.

Originally Posted by GC996
Thanks Jason. Somehow I completely missed the thread. Good info. The problem with having a great car like the 996 is you spend too much time thinking about how to make it better, faster and stronger. But...we all need a vice don't we.
You got that right !
Old 04-12-2021, 07:46 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I’m way late to this party, so in most cases, once I think of something, it’s already been done, which is good really.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:14 AM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 846 Likes on 344 Posts

So ahhh waddup Yaz - you want in...
Just need to find the time. After a handful of runs on the new suspension and rubber, I think my next upgrade needs to be the driver.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:54 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by jobyt
I'm running the 2L deep sump and 3rd radiator in addition to CSF side radiators. I want to increase the airflow and have been contemplating deleting the AC as I hardly ever use it, though I may be able to clean up the air vectors with GT3 wheel arch liners.

Nice lines out there today. The former (bike) racer in me kept wanting to dive the corners to overtake that traffic...ESPECIALLY that Acura (?) sedan. I was yelling "DUDE - YEILD TO FASTER TRAFFIC instead of clogging the line...."
But that would have been a dick move on my part...
Opening up the wheel arch liners will help significantly. We did this on every race car we built in addition to making our own radiator shrouds to improve airflow.

When I was tracking both my Boxster and Cayman, I eliminated one of the two a/c condensers on both cars like how Porsche did it on the GT3. Didn't hurt the function of the a/c at all except if the car was baking in the sun and it was ridiculously hot and humid outside. It just takes a little longer to catch up in those instances. We ended up making kits for these, but I only have them for 987/997 and later models currently :-(
zbomb (04-12-2021)

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996