Old 04-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

I am hoping Soul has a way to work with you and we'll figure out some data to put on. Then you can be even more #DATADriven and we can put the new MXL2 to work! I can already think of some cool ways to work on doing before/after data reports.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (04-01-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:15 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I am hoping Soul has a way to work with you and we'll figure out some data to put on. Then you can be even more #DATADriven and we can put the new MXL2 to work! I can already think of some cool ways to work on doing before/after data reports.
I'm with you Matt, so many possibilities for data based feedback on how some of these parts actually perform without having to rely on someone's feeling, which are certainly not calibrated between different someones ! And the system is so scalable, only the beginning.

So, I picked up the cats last night, will have to deal with getting the broken studs out of them which was a nice surprise, can't really complain as 1. they look so clean coming off a low mile car and 2. I got a really good deal.

So I will heat those suckers up and pound them out and I bought M8 hardware to replace the studs with bolts, I'll need to source something that will be more permanent but for now zinc plated will have to do.

The good new is because I don't care about the ones coming off the car, when they snap - I won't give a ****.

If anyone has any helpful tips I may want take into account for the cat replacement, let me know - I have pre soaked everything in PB for a couple days - hoping that at least eases any 02 sensor future pain.

Last edited by zbomb; 04-02-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:56 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I have never gotten oxygen sensors out without using an acetylene torch to heat the threads.
Use a thread chaser to clean up the O2 sensor threads in the new cats. I have one or you can get them from Amazon or even Autozone.
Are those bolts on the new cats pressed in? If so I'd heat the flanges and press them out with a C-clamp and a suitable socket.
For the new hardware I'd use hardened bolts & nuts, you probably can't find them in metric so if you're just bolting flanges together I'd use 5/16" or 3/8" grade 8 hardware, whichever is a better fit.
If you must use metric hardware use socket head cap screws, these are always grade 8 (or the metric equivalent).
Old 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by theprf
I have never gotten oxygen sensors out without using an acetylene torch to heat the threads.
Use a thread chaser to clean up the O2 sensor threads in the new cats. I have one or you can get them from Amazon or even Autozone.
Are those bolts on the new cats pressed in? If so I'd heat the flanges and press them out with a C-clamp and a suitable socket.
For the new hardware I'd use hardened bolts & nuts, you probably can't find them in metric so if you're just bolting flanges together I'd use 5/16" or 3/8" grade 8 hardware, whichever is a better fit.
If you must use metric hardware use socket head cap screws, these are always grade 8 (or the metric equivalent).
Thanks for the tips Aaron... my plan on the studs was map gas and a BFH, they are pressed in, guessing they are a knurled stud. . They are soaking in PB for the moment... my c clamp game is weak, I might have one that would work though.

I just bought some M8 stuff from Lowe’s to get mounted, 10.9 grade. Going to take a run on McMaster and get something long term on order I can swap to upon arrival. Looking for something to mitigate the likelihood of them seizing.

Do you know the thread pitch on the 02 sensor off hand so I can see if I have a tap in my collection ?

ETA.... I got unlazy and found the chaser I need. Going to run to the oreilly across the street and pick one up along with some high temp anti seize ! Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by zbomb; 04-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:47 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I don't think you'll get those out with a hammer, it's too difficult to hit them straight. Maybe you are better hammer aimer than I am.
Your 10.9 hardware will be fine. I'd use copper plated nuts and it will come apart easily. You can get M8x1.25 copper plated nuts at Bel Metric or I'm sure I have a few here.
zbomb (04-02-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 02:55 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Just finished installing the used cats off a clean 30K mile car.

1. Map gas, PB blaster and a couple whacks with a hammer and the studs came out of the cat pipes I bought without issue.

2. Used an extractor for every nut on the cat pipe studs, not sure what size they are supposed to be, but the extractor I was using was for a 12MM nut. A hilarious amount of rust on those nuts. Snapped a couple studs which I didn't care about with the new cat pipes going in and being secured with nuts and bolts.

3. The pre cat 02 sensors both required a 3FT breaker pipe, I heated the cat pipe as hot as the sun with the map gas... had galling on the threads on one of them sensors, not bad enough I was not able to re-use but I'm going to buy a replacement now and install it when I have some time before they decide to resize themselves in their current position. The cat 02's both came out easy.

Make sure you have or buy the 02 sensor socket for this job.

4. Despite having looked like the exhaust had never been taken apart in 85K miles, both of the manifold to cat pipe gaskets looked great, Porsche uses really nice metal gaskets there, they must have blown the budget on the gaskets and not had any left for the hardware they chose to use throughout the entirety of the exhaust.

5. Bank 1 cat was indeed full shot - So I'm feeling pretty good it solved my PO420 problem and I don't have to worry about it getting clogged at an inopportune moment. Bank 2 looked good but I replaced it anyway and will keep it as a spare.

Bank 1 Cat - notice the indentation from the 02 sensor.... no bueno

Bank 2 - What it's supposed to look like

When you do this job, be prepared for this

Happy to walk away with it looking like this - I put one of the cat pipe hangers on upside down - I fiddled with it for about 10 seconds and said F it, its 1AM.

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
ArcainuM (04-03-2021), Ratchet1025 (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 10:23 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,401 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Werent u suppose to be on the track today? Hopefully u got enough sleep.

U was out yesterday at NJMP at the MoE de day. It was a good time but it felt lile i had drive at 80% because it was only 40* with a 25mph wind.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:51 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Werent u suppose to be on the track today? Hopefully u got enough sleep.

U was out yesterday at NJMP at the MoE de day. It was a good time but it felt lile i had drive at 80% because it was only 40* with a 25mph wind.
Track is next Sat, which is a good thing cause I've been up way past my bedtime trying to get the car solid so I can sleep without worry late next week !

It was cold here too - starting to prepare myself for the fact the weather may very well blow for my day next week - regardless, I am ready to get back, soooo ready.

Spacers and lug bolts showed up from ECS, I'll get them thrown on before I test the new cats out. Fingers crossed no unintended fitment issues to occur as a result.

ArcainuM (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 05:32 PM
zbomb
Race Car

The ECS spacer kit I put on is really nice, especially for the cost - do recommend. Its much more solid feeling than the 5MM factory setup I had on before.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...001366ecs10kt/

Old 04-03-2021, 05:57 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,279 Posts

The ECS spacers look great too if you can look through your wheels.
I don’t have them, but @sasilverbullet has them.
If I were going to put spacers on my 996 again, I’d go with ECS.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexSquirrel:
sasilverbullet (04-03-2021), TheChunkNorris (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 06:42 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Friday was worse, up on a roof. Sick to death of the cold...
Old 04-03-2021, 09:10 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Sorry @TexSquirrel , that wasn't me! I don't have spacers on my car.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:15 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,048 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
+1 on ECS, I have them on my VW and they’re very nice looking.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 04-03-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:33 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Sorry @TexSquirrel , that wasn't me! I don't have spacers on my car.
@sasilverbullet, sorry, I could have sworn it was you.
I wonder who it was then.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:44 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,401 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
Friday was worse, up on a roof. Sick to death of the cold...

Oh i bet.

First session of the day a vette bounced off 2 walls. It was at least $12k in track damage and his car was toast. His entire truck bed was full of broken fiberglass. The driver was fjne as he had a hybrid hanns set up.

I drove my car at 80%. I just didnt see any benifit of pushing any harder. Hopefully it will be a little warmer at mid-ohio in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996