zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 06:55 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
That's impressive!
Now I sorta wish I were in your rungroup. Despite having 150 more HP & a lot more torque I am 2 seconds slower - and I was among the slowest cars in my run group running 1:56 - 1:59's.
And you'd probably be 2 seconds faster than me in my car...
Old 04-17-2021, 07:50 PM
zbomb
Race Car

For an interim noise solution...bought these little guys to have welded on to the muffler delete... If I'm on the brink with the current setup - this should give a tad bit of breathing room while I get a more ideal (cat-less) setup situated...

2.25 ID, 6" OAL... cheap, cheap cheap !

Old 04-17-2021, 08:20 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Those have to be a bit lighter.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:46 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Got the car up in the air for the pre track check and very happy - all paint marks where they should be, critical stuff to torque and dry as a bone. The pads and rotors look great are are wearing very evenly, fluid is clean and lines all good. .. Did not burn any oil in 6 20 minute sessions which is nice and the car overall is looking really good mechanically. Aesthetically, she needs a bath and is sporting some tire mark scars.

Just something that may ben interesting, At the track I was keeping pressure at about 35R / 32F and left the track with them maybe just a tad higher than that. Car has sat since, when I checked pressure today I was at 25R and 20F.

Figured while I'm in the middle of this exhaust stuff and I had the car in the air I would remind myself what the stock mufflers sound like. Ya know, come to think of it... I have to go get the car inspected, I think I'll do that early this week...

Then, maybe if I'm not thrilled with how the stock exhaust sounds , I'll throw these babies back on maybe with the mini mufflers between them and the cats, maybe not, depends on timing... They're looking a little haggard, that black grill paint I used way back when is hanging on for dear life.

Also, did the environmentally friendly thing and recycled the max allowable return... Dude at advanced told me they are changing the limit from 5 GAL to 5 QTS... WTF, every car I own takes more than 5QTS, that's really going to cramp my style.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:35 PM
zbomb
Race Car

MOMENTOUS.... EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND LISTEN !

Sorry for the dramatics...very excited.

Took my car for its MA inspection today - managed to go a good long while but it was time...

1st off, I hate getting my cars inspected, I don't like others touching my ****.

2nd, I don't like others touching my ****.

So, I went to a nice dingy place, thinking...yeah, these guys will do - the dude says... "you're joking me with those tires". I said - No, No I'm not. he goes, "yes you are".... this continued for a bit - he had a real issue with the lack of tread, I explained DOT blah, blah blah.... was not having a bit of it. Tells me, he's "been popped twice, a third - license gone". I was partially listening while I pulled up the NT01 on my phone... showed him, see, no tread supposed to be there, its not worn silly... he said, "keep talking and I'll just throw a RED "R" on it."

I left and went to the far nicer place across the street and told him the dude across the street has a bug up his *** for my tires, can I get a 2nd opinion - he comes out and looks at the car, looks at me and says, "TIRES ? haha" - he gets down, takes a look at the tires and says - "DOT, plenty of tread, what year is it ?" I said, 03 - he says "great, safety only, we'll pull it into the bay - everything work ?" I tell him everything works right as rain.

15 Mins later - BOOM

Que up the victory wash !

And to cap it all off... After driving the car, for about 10 minutes with the stock exhaust - It's really not for me, muffler deletes going back on
The following 7 users liked this post by zbomb:
GC996 (04-20-2021), Jnelso (04-20-2021), plpete84 (04-20-2021), Porschetech3 (04-20-2021), Ratchet1025 (04-21-2021), RC713 (04-22-2021), TexSquirrel (04-23-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:56 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Congrats! Life is all about persistence isn't it!

Now that you have the Oem mufflers on, you gotta tape a before and after exhaust video!
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:57 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,816 Likes on 918 Posts

It's those little battles man! Last time I took a car to a "dingy" place they tightened my lug bolts so much I broke an extension on my wrench trying to remove them!
zbomb (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:22 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Those guys will get the repeat business for sure. Before and after noise videos are always good.
zbomb (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:40 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Yup, found my new inspection place...

Thought about a sound clip... but it was just stock and lame. Although, I will say - with all the sound deadening out, its loud inside even stock. Who knew sound deadening actually worked

My mini mufflers came in today, so I will definitely do a sound comparison between the muffler deletes and the mini mufflers, they are pretty cool - super small, I think they are going to be pretty easy to install just with clamps and I won't need to get anything welded.

Don't think they're going to do much, but if they do a tiny bit, should be what I need for Palmers sound authorities. I was running though the suspected mic area in 3rd instead of 2nd... can't be doing that again.

FWIW - I paid $159 for the muffler deletes, paid $80 for the mini mufflers and clamps... That would have me into my exhaust for a grand TOT of $239 !!!

I'll be tackling that install and the lip that TheChunkNorris sent me after I get through the track event on Thurs. No sound worries for that one.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:17 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by GC996
Congrats! Life is all about persistence isn't it!

Now that you have the Oem mufflers on, you gotta tape a before and after exhaust video!
When's the first track day Glenn ? Car all good to go ?
Old 04-20-2021, 08:36 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
When's the first track day Glenn ? Car all good to go ?
Car is in great shaped ready to go. Just need to get another set of Hoosiers for my other set of rims and should be rockin! Working thru graduations and weddings which always seem to occur on DE events. Looks like Road America end of May will be the first. Nothing like starting the season off on the fastest track in the country!
Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Car is in great shaped ready to go. Just need to get another set of Hoosiers for my other set of rims and should be rockin! Working thru graduations and weddings which always seem to occur on DE events. Looks like Road America end of May will be the first. Nothing like starting the season off on the fastest track in the country!
Awesome, You're a good dude Glenn - gotta take care of what you gotta take care of. What are you running for wheel / tire sizes with the Hoosiers ? I think from what I've read they run a little big to size....

I would like to try a set but man they are expensive for a limited life span... And I know, once you try them.....like crack

Man, I'd love to be out there with you ! Take video so I can live vicariously through you !

Last edited by zbomb; 04-20-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:57 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Awesome, You're a good dude Glenn - gotta take care of what you gotta take care of. What are you running for wheel / tire sizes with the Hoosiers ? I think from what I've read they run a little big to size....

I would like to try a set but man they are expensive for a limited life span... And I know, once you try them.....like crack

Man, I'd love to be out there with you ! Take video so I can live vicariously through you !
Running stock 5 spoke 18s. 225/40 fronts. 285/30 rears. Yeah, they are expensive and don't last long, but they are good for 2-3 seconds a lap versus sport cups at Road America. The things we spend money on for a couple of seconds is nuts, isn t it.

One of these days I am going to get a Featherlite trailer and make the trek to the Northeast to drive Palmer and Thompson with you and the RLers. Believe it or do not, I have been tracking the car since 2004, and drive it too and from the track. Never had a trailer and never had a problem with getting it home. Except in a downpour since I run sport cups as my street tires. Kinda like driving on ice in the rain.
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
plpete84 (04-21-2021), Ratchet1025 (04-21-2021), zbomb (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:14 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Running stock 5 spoke 18s. 225/40 fronts. 285/30 rears. Yeah, they are expensive and don't last long, but they are good for 2-3 seconds a lap versus sport cups at Road America. The things we spend money on for a couple of seconds is nuts, isn t it.

One of these days I am going to get a Featherlite trailer and make the trek to the Northeast to drive Palmer and Thompson with you and the RLers. Believe it or do not, I have been tracking the car since 2004, and drive it too and from the track. Never had a trailer and never had a problem with getting it home. Except in a downpour since I run sport cups as my street tires. Kinda like driving on ice in the rain.
Consider the invitation open Glenn ! It's funny - I am looking at replacing my DD, an F30 base model (that I love BTW) with something that will give the the ability to tow the car - I really want to make it out your way (RA) and to see Randy (Ratchet1025) at Mid O... I almost pulled the trigger on a diesel X5 last week but was a little late and the one I was looking at sold from underneath me... Its so cool having friends across the USA... Need to find someone to give me an invite to Laguna... and to figure out how to bolt 10 mufflers on the car so I don't get kicked out after the 1st lap haha
Old 04-20-2021, 09:31 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Consider the invitation open Glenn ! It's funny - I am looking at replacing my DD, an F30 base model (that I love BTW) with something that will give the the ability to tow the car - I really want to make it out your way (RA) and to see Randy (Ratchet1025) at Mid O... I almost pulled the trigger on a diesel X5 last week but was a little late and the one I was looking at sold from underneath me... Its so cool having friends across the USA... Need to find someone to give me an invite to Laguna... and to figure out how to bolt 10 mufflers on the car so I don't get kicked out after the 1st lap haha
Man...

We can set up a RL road trip and piggyback all the PCA club race events at all the bucket list tracks. Laguna Seca, Sonoma, mid Ohio, road Atlanta. Road America, VIR, Cota, Daytona, Watkins Glen, Sebring. Gotta start saving money for tires and brakes. All we need is an enclosed trailer or two, a couple of grills, and we will have a little town within the track. X5 diesel would come in handy. Need a place to transport cigars and whiskey.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996