What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 01:13 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 11NEUN11
Aahh the weights are there at 4 o’clock!!!😉

Yeah, but I'd like to know how to get the barrels so clean. How do you get them so clean?
Old 12-09-2019, 04:40 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a ritual I perform every winter, but I also pay special attention to the barrels during the year when washing the car. This way I try to stay ahead of it a little bit. But even then they still end up being black and covered in tar etc when I take them off. What I do is to clean it several times with wheel cleaner, once I have removed all the dirt I can I soak them in WD40 as this dissolves/softens tar and all kinds of sticky grime that is still sticking to the wheel. After soaking int WD40 for about 10 minutes I rub the barrels with my hands protected by nitrile gloves and finesse every stain until it is gone. It takes between 30-60 minutes per wheel, but it is very satisfying to do with excelletn results and it's good for mindfulness to boot
Old 12-09-2019, 10:34 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

My detailer got my Carrera IIs that clean, then he ceramic coated them inside and out.
Now I can reach through the spokes and easily clean the barrels with a sponge.

The 17” Carreras I just bought were really dark like the barrels had never been cleaned.
I got as much as I could off using Griot heavy duty wheel cleaner and my pressure washer.
They still look badly stained in places.
I figure that can wait until I get ready to paint them...or I might just paint the whole thing black.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:02 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by 11NEUN11
Aahh the weights are there at 4 o’clock!!!😉
Duh! My bad...
Old 12-09-2019, 11:17 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by sdematt
For those of you that have upgraded to the GT3 throttle body - do you like it? Was it worth it? What do you notice the most?

I'm having my 3.4L built out into a 3.8L, and I'm wondering if this is a mod worth doing. Thanks!

-Matt
Or do a search for it, many many threads on it, mostly including the words "butt dyno", so YMMV.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 AM
RSBro
Pro

For me, did a DE this weekend with LSRPCA, what a great time. I've done DE events with other 'promoters', and this was far and away what ALL DE events should be, IMO. Just letting people get out there and drive and have FUN (which is what we pay for!!) while giving inputs on how to do better lap times as we go along. Next time I should end up in Blue Solo so that will be a little less stressful, as you (well, me, anyway) are always more relaxed in your own car focusing on that instead of what you're going to screw up for your instructor lol. Classes were short and sweet, giving us time to rest between session. Not going to name names for other Texas 'groups', but going immediately from class to track to class to track to lunch to class to track to class to track over the course of a 10 hr day is tiring for anyone, when you literally have 3-5 mins of downtime between it all. But, depends on what you want to do, and I think for sure you learn better driving and feeling refreshed than hashing over PowerPoint slides for an hour at a time when you're falling asleep... just my take, anyway.

Further, this now being my second time in the C4S out there, wow, what a difference. Since mine is my DD and a Tip, I just put it in manual and have since learned where the gears need to be in relation to the turns, so lap times improved significantly. I know it's not PDK, and sometimes under hard and heavy braking it wants to kick up to 3rd even though I'm downshifting into 2nd under braking, but usually within a second or two I flick it back down and were hunched down, powering thru some corners, leaving folks behind. I know the whole sentiment of "A Miata can and will be on certain tracks faster than your Viper", but I was really impressed with my 320hp (stock from 16 yrs ago, who knows what I'm running now), and how we left 981, 718 Caymans and Boxsters, new-gen 5.0 Mustangs, others wanting more. And that was with comparable drivers that I know in my same group, so not like Blue vs. Green drivers here. I will say, 991 S cars, whether it's a C2S or C4S, are FAST. I knew they were quick, but the way they dispatched 996 Turbos and 997 CS', was pretty fantastic to see. I was going to be confident having "just" a 991 C2, but not so sure anymore lol.
Also was my first time on my Michel PS2s, and omg, what a blast. Expensive, yes. Worth every penny on track AND street?? Yep. I was/am considering getting a separate set of something just for the track, but since I only plan on 3-4 DE events a year, I'd rather save my money and buy a new set of these as I go along, as track focused or track only tyres are just as, if not more expensive than these, and get worn out, so anyway. Plan to only keep this car another year or so as-is, so doesn't really make much sense that I can tell. Was running about 30 psi front and 36 rear and seemed fine. Probably could have come down a little in the front to maybe 28 and like 33/34 in rear but my instructor didn't feel like we needed to. I'm running them at 33/38 on the street and love the compliance so far.

Anyway, GO TRACK YOUR CAR! Lol. it can handle it! I saw so many Cabs out there too, I had 2 or 3 996 Turbo Cabs in my group, all were quick and of course sounded fantastic. I will say too, people love seeing a nice example 996. Mine isn't perfect, but it does look good, especially with the Sport Techno wheels (which I was surprised people knew about), and compared to the ocean of grey and black 997s and 991s, we tend to stick out a little, which isn't a bad thing!

Can't wait for the next one.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:53 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSBro
...Was running about 30 psi front and 36 rear and seemed fine. Probably could have come down a little in the front to maybe 28 and like 33/34 in rear but my instructor didn't feel like we needed to. I'm running them at 33/38 on the street and love the compliance so far...
Tire pressure question - on my base 03 C2 I run 18" Michelin Pilots at 36/40. Ride is a bit harsh on bumps, and I know that lowering the tire pressure a bit will make life a little smoother. What I'm concerned with is why do the Porsche engineers say 36/41, when about everyone who DE/tracks their car keeps them way lower?
ELI5 please!
Old 12-09-2019, 01:55 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

For me, did a DE this weekend with LSRPCA, what a great time. I've done DE events with other 'promoters', and this was far and away what ALL DE events should be, IMO. Just letting people get out there and drive and have FUN (which is what we pay for!!) while giving inputs on how to do better lap times as we go along. Next time I should end up in Blue Solo so that will be a little less stressful, as you (well, me, anyway) are always more relaxed in your own car focusing on that instead of what you're going to screw up for your instructor lol. Classes were short and sweet, giving us time to rest between session. Not going to name names for other Texas 'groups', but going immediately from class to track to class to track to lunch to class to track to class to track over the course of a 10 hr day is tiring for anyone, when you literally have 3-5 mins of downtime between it all. But, depends on what you want to do, and I think for sure you learn better driving and feeling refreshed than hashing over PowerPoint slides for an hour at a time when you're falling asleep... just my take, anyway.

Further, this now being my second time in the C4S out there, wow, what a difference. Since mine is my DD and a Tip, I just put it in manual and have since learned where the gears need to be in relation to the turns, so lap times improved significantly. I know it's not PDK, and sometimes under hard and heavy braking it wants to kick up to 3rd even though I'm downshifting into 2nd under braking, but usually within a second or two I flick it back down and were hunched down, powering thru some corners, leaving folks behind. I know the whole sentiment of "A Miata can and will be on certain tracks faster than your Viper", but I was really impressed with my 320hp (stock from 16 yrs ago, who knows what I'm running now), and how we left 981, 718 Caymans and Boxsters, new-gen 5.0 Mustangs, others wanting more. And that was with comparable drivers that I know in my same group, so not like Blue vs. Green drivers here. I will say, 991 S cars, whether it's a C2S or C4S, are FAST. I knew they were quick, but the way they dispatched 996 Turbos and 997 CS', was pretty fantastic to see. I was going to be confident having "just" a 991 C2, but not so sure anymore lol.
Also was my first time on my Michel PS2s, and omg, what a blast. Expensive, yes. Worth every penny on track AND street?? Yep. I was/am considering getting a separate set of something just for the track, but since I only plan on 3-4 DE events a year, I'd rather save my money and buy a new set of these as I go along, as track focused or track only tyres are just as, if not more expensive than these, and get worn out, so anyway. Plan to only keep this car another year or so as-is, so doesn't really make much sense that I can tell. Was running about 30 psi front and 36 rear and seemed fine. Probably could have come down a little in the front to maybe 28 and like 33/34 in rear but my instructor didn't feel like we needed to. I'm running them at 33/38 on the street and love the compliance so far.

Anyway, GO TRACK YOUR CAR! Lol. it can handle it! I saw so many Cabs out there too, I had 2 or 3 996 Turbo Cabs in my group, all were quick and of course sounded fantastic. I will say too, people love seeing a nice example 996. Mine isn't perfect, but it does look good, especially with the Sport Techno wheels (which I was surprised people knew about), and compared to the ocean of grey and black 997s and 991s, we tend to stick out a little, which isn't a bad thing!

Can't wait for the next one.
What track were you guys using?
Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM
RSBro
Pro

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Tire pressure question - on my base 03 C2 I run 18" Michelin Pilots at 36/40. Ride is a bit harsh on bumps, and I know that lowering the tire pressure a bit will make life a little smoother. What I'm concerned with is why do the Porsche engineers say 36/41, when about everyone who DE/tracks their car keeps them way lower?
ELI5 please!
I found a link here years ago that Porsche recommends those MAX PSI pressures for 4 passengers, luggage, and 150+mph runs. Or close to that, anyway. It's a safety spec they have to put out, I will try and find it here, I think I have the link saved... I have read that stock PSI for my C4S (different than your C2) is 36/44 F/R. Before I got my PS2s I was running 33/38 and wow, what a difference! I've found a 5-6 PSI difference in F to R specs is my optimal sweet spot with no noticeable affect on tyre wear, etc.

But what you're saying, is what most of us have found out, in that just driving around town or even at decent highway speeds (say up to or under 100mph) with a solo passenger, no luggage, etc., reducing PSI makes the ride sooo much better. So, it's just what you can live with without damaging your tires. I have a client who used to run Cup 997s semi-professionally and said he tracks his 997 at 28 PSI all around on Michelin Cup 2s, IIRC.
However, when doing DE or AX, you want the max amount of rubber contacting the pavement or asphalt, so reducing your PSI will make that happen as you increase speeds, go thru corners, etc. since the car squats down the more air that flows over it at speed. If you have max PSI on your car going around on track, they expand as they heat up, so an already fully-filled tire is just going to get bigger and therefore decrease your contact patch and you'll slip and skid. That's also why you check your tyres after each run and let air out (if needed) when they're hot.
This is how I understand it anyway lol... Some may be off, but I just know more contact your tyres have with the street/pavement, the better usually. You CAN lower them too much, and get sidewall damage, so just go a little at a time. These parameters I've found and been using now for a while work just fine for me.

EDIT: Here's the link I always refer back to- https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-pressure.html
Old 12-09-2019, 02:19 PM
RSBro
Pro

What track were you guys using?
MSR Houston, it's down in Angleton. Worth a drive for the weekend, IMO. I mean driving at COTA is fun at all, but it's expensive AF, wears out your tyres, brakes and car in general so quickly, and this is a fun, windy track that stays interesting even when you drive it a bunch. I only drive the CCW (counter-clockwise events) though. Clockwise is kinda meh. I do plan to hit up COTA though in February once the resurface is done.

We're having another LSRPCA event there in January 17/18 2020 I think. Sign up is this weekend, via clubregistration.net I believe. PM me if you need more info or think about wanting to go. Can give ideas for lodging, etc. EVERYone is nice, cool and laid back, no pressure, no dick-measuring contests, that sorta thing. People bring all sorts of cars too, not just our marque which makes it fun as to how you stack up against other manufacturers.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

MSR Houston, it's down in Angleton. Worth a drive for the weekend, IMO. I mean driving at COTA is fun at all, but it's expensive AF, wears out your tyres, brakes and car in general so quickly, and this is a fun, windy track that stays interesting even when you drive it a bunch. I only drive the CCW (counter-clockwise events) though. Clockwise is kinda meh. I do plan to hit up COTA though in February once the resurface is done.

We're having another LSRPCA event there in January 17/18 2020 I think. Sign up is this weekend, via clubregistration.net I believe. PM me if you need more info or think about wanting to go. Can give ideas for lodging, etc. EVERYone is nice, cool and laid back, no pressure, no dick-measuring contests, that sorta thing. People bring all sorts of cars too, not just our marque which makes it fun as to how you stack up against other manufacturers.
Hm, that's my b-day weekend. What's that little track for that's there? Can't tell from google pics. Oh, and I am a Longhorn Region member. How much is it?

Last edited by sasilverbullet; 12-09-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add topic
Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 PM
bourne29
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dropped it off at the detailer for a pricey but needed paint correction. He's got the car for a full week. Really excited to see the final result!

Before. Lots of swirlies and you can see a scratch by the headlight wet-sanded out.

After wet sand of scratch and first cut of compound.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 143 Posts

Put the hardtop and snow tires on her today. Haven't driven her in a month due to poor weather and cold. After 20 inches of snow we have a warm spell and rain. Nice today so took advantage and got her prepped for winter. Missed driving her!! Really enjoying the Macan S though!
Old 12-12-2019, 11:08 AM
RSBro
Pro

Hm, that's my b-day weekend. What's that little track for that's there? Can't tell from google pics. Oh, and I am a Longhorn Region member. How much is it?
The smaller track is the karting track. Have not tried it yet.

It's $350 for the weekend with PCA membership, two days, 8 20-minute sessions. Well worth it.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

I learned it takes about 15 days for my battery to drain without driving...
The following users liked this post:
Brian_C (12-15-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?