Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Well this happened... (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 10:05 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 498 Posts

Wow, when Cactus said "nice Singer!" I was thinking, "a little far-fetched... my build is nowhere near Singer quality". LOL!

It wasn't until the second mention of "the Singer", that I realized you guys meant the sewing machine. Ha!
Old 10-16-2021, 10:27 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Boom, you are welcome to borrow my set of FR and RR windshield templates again when you are ready for your windshield installs. Just email me like before:

michael.capocefalo@gmail.com or call my cell 315-246-2173. Another Rlister in our area has them now but is on the right side and getting close. I’ll coordinate getting then to you if in fact you’ll need them again. Mike Cap
Old 10-16-2021, 04:40 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Wow, when Cactus said "nice Singer!" I was thinking, "a little far-fetched... my build is nowhere near Singer quality". LOL!

It wasn't until the second mention of "the Singer", that I realized you guys meant the sewing machine. Ha!
LOL I have one for display but props to you for using it.

Old 10-16-2021, 06:49 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 265 Posts

Great project and color choice for a 993 - congrats. Love that you deleted the sunroof.

As an owner of a mint green car I admire your thought process to go with Jade as it is a slightly 'richer' color. Prepare yourself for the endless questions about the color though, along with the fact that your car will make just about everyone who sees it happy...
Old 10-17-2021, 09:53 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Nurburger- I think my biggest challenge will be correcting everyone that thinks it's mint great, LOL! I'm already getting quite a few people on instagram sending me all things mint green.

Cactus- nice one!

Mike- When I had them last time, I traced them on a piece of masonite and held on to it just in case. Never did cut them out. I will probably be putting in glass next weekend. If you had them at the ready, I probably would have taken you up on the offer again in the interest of time but it sounds like maybe I'll have a date with the bandsaw and belt sander one night this week.

Headliner install is going well. Have it in and pulled tight with a ton of clamps. Really, really happy with it! Going to be gluing all day today.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:20 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Nurburger- I think my biggest challenge will be correcting everyone that thinks it's mint great, LOL! I'm already getting quite a few people on instagram sending me all things mint green.

Cactus- nice one!

Mike- When I had them last time, I traced them on a piece of masonite and held on to it just in case. Never did cut them out. I will probably be putting in glass next weekend. If you had them at the ready, I probably would have taken you up on the offer again in the interest of time but it sounds like maybe I'll have a date with the bandsaw and belt sander one night this week.

Headliner install is going well. Have it in and pulled tight with a ton of clamps. Really, really happy with it! Going to be gluing all day today.
I wondered if you had copied the ws templates. Good plan
The following users liked this post:
boomboomthump (10-18-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Didn't this car used to be owned by the Kosher Stogie? I think it was featured in a Petrolicious video. Talk about a transformation. Kudos to you.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:23 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 265 Posts

Perhaps a 'NOTMINT' license plate would be a good way to start; and it will be a fun play on words considering your car will certainly be flawless when complete. My 964 has a 'PIGMINT' plate which gets a lot of laughs from those that know.

Also looking forward to seeing your choice for wheel and wheel color. I have polished / silver RH 3.6's on my 964 and I like the contrast, however I recently had a set of Forgeline wheels built with their titanium finished centers for a friend and I'm thinking that the Ti finish would be a great contrast with a light green. PM me if you would like some pictures.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:16 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome colour choice. Like to see her as she progresses!! Your Car will be special indeed. Congrats!!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Didn't this car used to be owned by the Kosher Stogie? I think it was featured in a Petrolicious video. Talk about a transformation. Kudos to you.

Yes... "it looked good on the internet". Reality... not so much. What a train wreck. We'll leave it at that.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:50 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Perhaps a 'NOTMINT' license plate would be a good way to start; and it will be a fun play on words considering your car will certainly be flawless when complete. My 964 has a 'PIGMINT' plate which gets a lot of laughs from those that know.

Also looking forward to seeing your choice for wheel and wheel color. I have polished / silver RH 3.6's on my 964 and I like the contrast, however I recently had a set of Forgeline wheels built with their titanium finished centers for a friend and I'm thinking that the Ti finish would be a great contrast with a light green. PM me if you would like some pictures.

I'm so torn. I have black e88's but I had been thinking silver wheels. Just deliberating between the sporty/badass look or whether to go with a cleaner OEM++ look.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:55 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Welp, might actually be delayed in my plan of doing glass this coming weekend. Lots of gluing and waiting. Didn't finish the whole headliner but I've got the top section fully done and glued. So happy with it!

Working my way down the C-pillars next, then have to do the A & B pillars. Between that stuff and also the fact that I need to prep the glass (trim off a bunch of the urethane from when I installed new glass last year), I probably won't be ready to actually glue in the glass until the following weekend.

Here's a teaser shot...

The following 8 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
71-3.0-911 (10-18-2021), 911F1 (10-18-2021), 993Porsche (01-24-2024), Aeropooch (10-25-2021), dantonio (10-21-2021), INTMD8 (10-18-2021), KingTubby (12-26-2021), SpeedyC2 (03-30-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:58 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

Really nice craftsmanship.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:31 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Awesome project and very beautiful and original color!
Old 11-14-2021, 09:42 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

I need to photo dump some updates here (will do so soon). I know a bunch of you have been watching the updates (and rants) on Instagram.

Just wanted to let everyone else know that I'm slowly plugging away. Ticked the following off the list since my last update...

• A, B & C pillars all complete, including lower sections on A & B pillars
  • installed the front and rear windshields (thanks to my wife for the 2nd set of hands )
  • wiring harnesses for doors fished into the cabin and routed to door components
  • door handles installed
  • mirrors reassembled and mounted (good thing I made that DIY, I had to refer to it LOL)
  • door glass & regulators installed/adjusted, along with window frames on doors
  • belt molding along top of doors
  • door seals glued down
  • engine bay seal (the one that goes around the whole engine tin)
  • rear quarter glass installed (today)

Pics soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
71-3.0-911 (11-15-2021), INTMD8 (11-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Well this happened... (finally)