911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 113 Posts

Great color selection! Love it.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:43 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks awesome! Appears you didn't cut any corners, that is quite a teardown.

What did you do for sunroof delete?

Old 09-12-2021, 02:54 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by os993
Proper re spray. What was the original color? Do you also paint the interior cabin?

Must have been hard picking the final color. What other colors did you consider?
Original color was black. We did not paint the interior cabin for several reasons. Some guys like to, especially if they're ever planning to gut the interior and go for a full race look but Porsche never sprayed the entire interior that way.

We took th body down to bare metal via chemical stripping. My requirements were to paint the entire exterior, the engine bay, all under-fender areas and also the trunk. The underside of the car was not painted (just like Porsche did it... it stayed grey). The trunk though, I decided to paint the whole thing. Much like the interior, the trunk is not normally fully painted (most is grey with just some areas body colored), however, my trunk has the carpet kit removed and I plan to keep it that way. Some of the areas had some various scratches, etc. in the paint. So I decided to paint the whole thing since a bunch of it will be visible.

Other colors seriously considered were: Mexico blue, blue turquoise, mint green, blood orange, gulf orange. In the end, the blues (as much as I love both) lost out because I didn't want something stock or that people would think was stock. Mint I felt was a bit too pastel-y, especially in bright sunlight. The oranges had been done/seen before and plus, I really like this jade green color.

Originally Posted by fatmike
Nice! What color calipers will you use? Maybe yellow?

/
I have black calipers now with regular brakes. I've been contemplating doing big reds with either red or yellow calipers. If I keep the smaller brakes, will likely keep the calipers black.

Originally Posted by aj911tt
Hey I see you’re in NJ and I was thinking of getting some new paint work done - who did you end up using to drop the motor for whatever mechanicals and then have all the paint work done?

thanks!
I did all the work myself. Dropped the motor, removed all glass, all wiring... e v e r y t h i n g. I brought them the car ready for paint/body. I'll be doing all the reinstall.

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Looks awesome! Appears you didn't cut any corners, that is quite a teardown.

What did you do for sunroof delete?
The car came to me with the sunroof delete already done... except it was done by someone who had no idea what the heck they were doing.

It's a Fennlane sunroof delete panel. They spot welded in a couple spots vs seam welding the whole thing (spot welding is known to cause issues with them and all the pros fully weld these up, carefully). When I got the car, it had a 1/2" long split in the roof where I presumed there was a bit of bondo. That quickly escalated to one 12" long split and then eventually about eight large splits varying from 6" long to 20". It was INSANE. I then discovered they skinned the entire roof with 1/4" of bondo. No lie. There are folks on here who follow me on instagram and saw the posts on my story with a caliper measurement showing how thick the filler was. So it went to bare metal and got fixed the right way.

Beyond this, the previous owner's full repaint which was done by the same shoemakers who worked on the sunroof delete was an absolute horror show. The paint was failing/peeling all over. Since I needed to address the whole car, I decided to go "full send" and go for a color change.
The following 8 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
Chuck W. (09-12-2021), Gmanscott (04-13-2022), INTMD8 (09-12-2021), Jon 'Bama (09-20-2021), Kein_Ersatz (09-13-2021), Magdaddy (09-22-2021), SpeedyC2 (03-30-2022), YellowDieselGolf (05-31-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-2021, 03:01 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Wanted to say, thanks guys. I went to see the car today and it is INSANE in person. The color is so intense. Beyond excited.

Here's two pics. Will post more tomorrow...

The following 5 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
ClassicAndy (09-12-2021), flyingchappy (10-11-2021), Jon 'Bama (09-20-2021), SpeedyC2 (09-13-2021), TheFatArmadillo (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:01 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 102 Posts

Great choice on color and I must say I follow your resonance in why you ended up with that color.
It is not seen before on a 993 (at least not by me) and the 73 RS touring example you posted, is just stunning beyond belief!
Well done and I look forward to follow this project getting back on the right track.

What are your plans on wheels? - keeping the all black wheels could be a nice contrast to the new color, I think.

I'm also sad to hear the truth about the craftmanship on the sunroof delete, especially as I saw the car was so heavily profiled in social media before your ownership.
Glad that the car has come into the right hands to fix it all up again!

If its for any comfort, I am at the same status with my early 911 project. PO has taken some shortcuts during the resto, so I end up inspecting all work and redo most of the work that is already done on it. The worst part now is engine status, which after inspection, I ended up building a completely new one.
Oh well, so much for acquiring a "almost done" project car, trying to save myself some time and $$$

Keep the good work going.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-17-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:32 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

Why is the rear bumper installed? Or have you already begun to re-assemble?
Old 09-12-2021, 08:35 AM
aj911tt
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump;[url=tel:17662377
17662377[/url]]Wanted to say, thanks guys. I went to see the car today and it is INSANE in person. The color is so intense. Beyond excited.

Here's two pics. Will post more tomorrow...

looks fantastic and props for all the hard work stripping the car down - what paint shop did you use as I was looking around North Jersey for some work and can’t decide?
Old 09-12-2021, 09:56 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevensivak
Why is the rear bumper installed? Or have you already begun to re-assemble?

Just mocked up with a couple of bolts through it. Keeps it out of the way in the shop and also allowed everyone to get a good look at it all.

All reassembly will be done back home. The bumpers will be one of the last things to go back on officially.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:10 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aj911tt
looks fantastic and props for all the hard work stripping the car down - what paint shop did you use as I was looking around North Jersey for some work and can’t decide?

Thanks. I had it painted through AMS Autowerks in Linden. They're a tuning shop and have their own painting facilities on premises. If you're looking for purely paint work, there's also a couple other shops in north Jersey that are highly regarded (feel free to PM me). I went with Diogo @ AMS because I have several mutual friends who stand by his shop's work and also because he knows these cars intimately. He's the owner of that 993 GT2 which is wrapped in that Falken livery (mint/blue). I trusted him to know what was needed with respect to fixing the sunroof delete issues. The paintwork I've seen them turn out looks impeccable but if you're looking to get in and get out quickly, a dedicated auto-body is likely more schedule friendly. I was more than happy to wait it out. Car was dropped off just about 3 months ago.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:26 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClassicAndy
Great choice on color and I must say I follow your resonance in why you ended up with that color.
It is not seen before on a 993 (at least not by me) and the 73 RS touring example you posted, is just stunning beyond belief!
Well done and I look forward to follow this project getting back on the right track.

What are your plans on wheels? - keeping the all black wheels could be a nice contrast to the new color, I think.

I'm also sad to hear the truth about the craftmanship on the sunroof delete, especially as I saw the car was so heavily profiled in social media before your ownership.
Glad that the car has come into the right hands to fix it all up again!

If its for any comfort, I am at the same status with my early 911 project. PO has taken some shortcuts during the resto, so I end up inspecting all work and redo most of the work that is already done on it. The worst part now is engine status, which after inspection, I ended up building a completely new one.
Oh well, so much for acquiring a "almost done" project car, trying to save myself some time and $$$

Keep the good work going.

Thanks, I'm undecided on the wheels. I have the all black E88's but I'm thinking silver will go best with the car. I just picked up a real nice set of 996 hollow-spokes. That will at least let me compare/contrast silver vs black and also, I needed a second set of wheels even if they just end up becoming spares. I may end up doing some silver 3pc wheels in the end. We'll see... can never have enough pairs of shoes my wife always says.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Thanks, I'm undecided on the wheels. I have the all black E88's but I'm thinking silver will go best with the car. I just picked up a real nice set of 996 hollow-spokes. That will at least let me compare/contrast silver vs black and also, I needed a second set of wheels even if they just end up becoming spares. I may end up doing some silver 3pc wheels in the end. We'll see... can never have enough pairs of shoes my wife always says.
My vote is the 996 wheels and maybe the GT2 rears that are a little wider? My favorite Porsche wheels for sure on a WB.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:42 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

OK, here's some better pics I took yesterday. Walking across the shop, I had tunnel vision and completely ignored every Ferrari and Lambo in there.

The following 12 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
993Porsche (12-30-2021), ER17 (01-01-2024), fatmike (09-13-2021), heliolps2 (10-16-2021), INTMD8 (09-12-2021), Jon 'Bama (09-21-2021), M. Schneider (10-17-2021), rk-d (09-20-2021), SpeedyC2 (09-13-2021), Styrizo (09-13-2021), SwayBar (09-13-2021), Watson (09-30-2021) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Well this happened... (finally)