Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Well this happened... (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 07:03 PM
motobri
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the unique color. Paint the calipers the same.
Please tell me you filled in the headlight washer holes in the fenders?
Oh, and welcome to the non sunroof club!

Last edited by motobri; 09-13-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:39 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
LOVE the color!

My favorite Stratocaster guitar is painted the same color (..Fender's Seafoam Green), and looks great with its black pickguard.

Exactly! (also a Fender guy here).

Mint is to "Surf green", as Jade is to "Seafoam green"
Old 09-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump

Been watching for a used seafoam Strat. First electric.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:00 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

LOL - yes, you must be a Fender guy to know that!

BTW, I'm a huge Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan fan and play all their instrumentals.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:32 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

The drums were my main instrument (which is where the username comes from) but I dabble in many things Have a few Fenders, a Martin acoustic and just one Gibson (SG).

Update on this, the fenders, hood, doors and decklid where all painted early last week. Only thing left was the small stuff... mirrors, gas flap, spoiler parts, roof spoiler, RS scoops, handles, etc. And then of course putting the fenders back on, hood, doors and decklid.

Expecting a message any day now to come pick it up!

Last edited by boomboomthump; 09-20-2021 at 10:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
INTMD8 (09-20-2021), SwayBar (10-15-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 11:30 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 234 Posts

Bravo! True enthusiast. Gorgeous end product with passion through and through! Congrats!!!
Old 09-21-2021, 04:58 PM
ThePhanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 88 Posts

What does a full respray like this tend to cost? I have some rough paint and have been eyeing it up... this color really made me want to get something done if it's not outrageous.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:27 PM
caffeineninja
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePhanatic
What does a full respray like this tend to cost? I have some rough paint and have been eyeing it up... this color really made me want to get something done if it's not outrageous.
It will be in the five figures. Single stage Glasurit would be $8000 in costs alone, and if you have no metal work needed, just down to the metal and windows out prep, probably another $8,000-$9,000 in labor? So likely $20,000+ all in.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:04 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThePhanatic
See my post #34 above. Cost depends on many, many factors. You said "full respray like this" but to clarify, I had a (mostly) bare metal color change, which is different than "respraying" the same color.

All exterior sheetmetal was taken to bare metal with aircraft stripper. I'm not a fan of abrasive stripping and thankfully, neither is the shop that did the work. Since I was color changing, I also had the engine bay, frunk and wheel wells "resprayed". Those areas were not taken to bare metal (no reason to strip off a single layer of very stable factory paint/sound proofing in those areas, they were scuffed and resprayed. If you're staying with the same color, there's no need to address these. Fenders, doors, hood, deck lid, roof, etc. were all taken to bare metal because the car had multiple layers of paint from previous "resprays". The last of which was failing prematurely (gotta love those California "clean air" waterborne paints, ugh).

If you intend to drop off the car and toss them the keys, the cost is huge to do what I did. Lots of labor involved. Literally, the cost to disassemble the whole car is as much as the actual paint work and then you also need to pay the same labor to build the whole car. I dropped the motor/trans, removed every oil, fuel, AC line, brake line. Gutted everything in every fender, removed oil tank, gutted the frunk, engine bay etc. Every wire and harness was removed. All glass, window frames and every seal was removed, wiper assembly, mirrors removed and disassembled, door handles removed and disassembled, etc. Rear spoiler completely disassembled. Headliner pulled, door cards removed, literally anything that was in the way of paint was removed. I brought them the car ready to get straight to paint and body work. The only thing they needed to do was unbolt the hood, deck lid, doors and remove the latches.

My bill was around half of the price of what it would cost if someone did all the work for me. To do what I did, expect to be in the $12k range if no major body work involved. I paid a bit more due to a few other things addressed. If someone is doing all the R&R (remove and reinstall), expect to pay $25k+. Doing more or less paint work and also the cost of labor in different parts of the country can greatly impact the price above or below the numbers I've shared.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 09-25-2021 at 01:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
caffeineninja (09-22-2021), Gator06 (09-22-2021), INTMD8 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:11 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caffeineninja
Single stage Glasurit would be $8000 in costs alone
I hope you meant installed and with "paint labor", not purely for the cost of paint materials.

A gallon of Glasurit to paint a 911 is more than enough and runs around $700, though there are a couple of super exotic pearly metallic paints that can top out at $2000/gal.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 09-25-2021 at 12:49 AM.
caffeineninja (09-22-2021), Dryfly57 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:40 AM
caffeineninja
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope you meant installed and with "paint labor", not purely for the cost of paint materials.

A gallon of Glasurit to paint a 911 is more than enough and runs around $700, though there are a couple of super exotic pearly metallic paints that can top out at $2000/gal.

The number you mentioned is what I was quoted to strip the exterior bare and also paint the engine bay, frunk and wheel wells but again, this is purely paint materials and paint labor (a bit of minor body work too). As detailed above, I'm handling all other labor to disassemble/reassemble the car beyond the paint work.
Yes, $8000 installed
Old 09-22-2021, 12:49 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I keep coming back to this thread thinking how cool it is to customize a 993 in such a way. I’ve dreamed of a 997RS orange color conversion but the stock paint is to pristine to stomach doing that too. I don’t think I am that ambitious either. Glad I got the heavy lifting out of the way earlier otherwise I’d never have done the bold stuff I have to the engine and suspension.

Kudos for such ambitions!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:50 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 193 Posts

Stunning…excellent color choice.

Regarding the wheels, huge Tramont Cup fan here. Also gives you the option of choosing a different center color.
The following users liked this post:
dantonio (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:35 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I keep coming back to this thread thinking how cool it is to customize a 993 in such a way. I’ve dreamed of a 997RS orange color conversion but the stock paint is to pristine to stomach doing that too. I don’t think I am that ambitious either. Glad I got the heavy lifting out of the way earlier otherwise I’d never have done the bold stuff I have to the engine and suspension.

Kudos for such ambitions!

Yeah, in my case, it was an easier convincing. The botched sunroof delete needed to be fixed. Between that labor and paint, it was a $3000-3500 repair. I could see the previous owner's respray was starting to have issues already after just a year. The car has 120k on the odometer. So I have a "driver" 993, which minimally needed a few thousand immediately spent on the roof and then several more on addressing the paint issues down the road. So I inquired about the cost to do this if I tore the whole car down myself. It made financial sense to pull the trigger.

The decision to change the paint color is probably incomprehensible to many folks here but the way I looked at it... 2020 really made me appreciate the fact that life can be gone in a blink, you truly only live once. 2021 only compounded that with two unforeseen surgeries. You can really never know if your day will turn out the way you expected it to. Why not stop being the guy that goes to car shows and drools over Porches in "special" colors? Why not own one?! Given the other points above with respect to mileage and paint issues, I have zero guilt changing the color. This was never a "collector grade" car when I bought it. In my opinion, changing the color on it, has no further negative impact on the value. If it were "collector grade" or close to it, yes, of course but in this case, no regrets. Besides, I'm not planning to sell it anyway (yeah, yeah, we all say that).

Welp, I just got word that the car is all done! Need to coordinate a tow and it should be home by the weekend.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 09-22-2021 at 07:37 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
fnckr (10-14-2021), Gator06 (09-22-2021), INTMD8 (09-22-2021), Jon 'Bama (09-23-2021), M. Schneider (10-17-2021), Soup (10-15-2021), SpeedyC2 (03-30-2022), YellowDieselGolf (05-31-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2021, 12:58 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Update: I adjusted the posts above to be more reflective of the final cost. The bill ended up being several thousand more but I had no gripes because as we talked through it all, it made sense.

When I first asked for a quote, I said I would totally strip the car, wanted everything outside repainted, along with door jambs, engine bay and trunk. After the quote, I started tearing the car apart and discovered deeper issues with the paint. Once I brought it to the shop, I was told it had to go to bare metal because of all the issues and I never really took that into account. I also requested the wheel wells to all be painted and the side skirts, which also wasn't part of the quote. The sunroof delete repair was a bit more involved and also there were two other (minor) unforeseen body issues to address.

Based on all that, the final damage was $6k more than the original quote but thinking about all that went into it and the quality of the result, I have no complaints.

They're aligning the fenders & hood and then it will be delivered next week.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 09-25-2021 at 01:31 AM.
INTMD8 (09-25-2021), M. Schneider (10-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Well this happened... (finally)