Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 02:19 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

I was considering to overhaul the steering rack, do you know where can I find a kit and the parts pointed in the pictures?

Gear and roller bearings?

Aluminum screw cap that has corroded
Old 11-30-2020, 05:33 AM
Swallowtail
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I very much doubt you will be able to source that part. But it that's the only thing missing than it should me no problem getting it remade by a machine shop - if you want to save money best not tell them it's for a Porsche
Old 12-04-2020, 02:03 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Swallowtail
I very much doubt you will be able to source that part. But it that's the only thing missing than it should me no problem getting it remade by a machine shop - if you want to save money best not tell them it's for a Porsche
Yes, probably you are right, I could take the missing plug from the other steering rack I've got, and ask for some copies, I suppose it must be Aluminum alloy.

Is there a tutorial of how to deeply overhaul the steering rack?

Meanwhile I purchased the Eurowise center locking conversion kit: I have to thank Mike and his staff for their kindness, clarity and willingness to explain the details of their offer to me.

Today Santa has arrived early!

Soon will take place under the Christmas Tree

Nice packaging, I must say

Oh my...

Silver cups black coated so they don’t rust
Old 12-05-2020, 12:46 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Paolo there is a circlip which rests in the small cut on the stud after the castleated ring , no worries I've run one of my cars without but
believe it is a redundant safety measure to insure the ring doesn't move...Bert
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Bert are you talking the red clips in the top of the package left.

Like this one used on the factory RSR 3.8 .

Last edited by cobalt; 12-05-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:14 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by budge96
Paolo there is a circlip which rests in the small cut on the stud after the castleated ring , no worries I've run one of my cars without but
believe it is a redundant safety measure to insure the ring doesn't move...Bert
You mean part #10

During the following weeks I'll be carefully watching on the silver 993 how it is mounted the vacuum reserve in the left rear fender and where the tubes must pass to go to the engine bay
Old 12-10-2020, 12:22 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Yes Paolo that's it , I've run my GT without but planning on including them with my Cup, I think it's added insurance ...Bert
Old 12-10-2020, 06:40 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by budge96
Yes Paolo that's it , I've run my GT without but planning on including them with my Cup, I think it's added insurance ...Bert
Part # is 900 041 041 01

Do you know where I can source 6 of them?
Old 12-10-2020, 06:56 AM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
I would say that there would be no point paying Porsche Tax on parts like these..? If you have / can get the dimensions, you could order from any online Circlip supplier..?

e.g. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/En...539/index.html
Old 12-19-2020, 07:09 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kingroon
I would say that there would be no point paying Porsche Tax on parts like these..? If you have / can get the dimensions, you could order from any online Circlip supplier..?

e.g. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/En...539/index.html
Thank you very much, but let's see if I can source the original ones first.

I am looking for the 993 cup front brake ducts and for instructions for mounting them. Is the original kit still available?

Is there anyone here that can help me to find an accurate "how to" for the varioram intake complete conversion?

Anyone who can tell me something in regards to straight teeth gears with isotropic threatment?
​​​​​​What are pros-cons of straight teeth gears in comparison to helix gears?

​​​

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 12-19-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:18 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

It's been two years and a day since I posted this thread and it feels like it happened yesterday.
There is always a lot to learn, always, but at least soon the moment will begin to learn how to reassemble and we will begin to see the 993 taking shape, a very juicy and peppery limoncella.
Thanks to all of you who supported me and still do it, advising, encouraging, sometimes even criticizing me.

Thank you very much because you are sincere and put your heart into it as well. ❤️
imdvs (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 08:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by benmickel
In the end I feel and I think it was logic and natural doing it, maybe I am crazy, but maybe (more probably) it was a try, that, because of the car conditions, became something else, not because I wanted it to become that.
Huh?
Old 12-27-2020, 06:35 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Huh?
This must be a copy/paste of something I wrote don't remember where neither when nor to whom.
It is the answer to the question many people were thinking, without asking it, looking at me like if I was totally crazy.

Of course I took the car home in that condition dreaming/hoping that in the best case I could have been able to do what I am doing, which I am doing also thanks to the real condition of the car, that once all cleaned and freed from mud and parts, were better than ever expectable.

Another point many don't really understand is, if the chassis wouldn't be good to be saved, my project would have failed. The real reason I did it is to save this special yellow car, not another one, this and only this, so its conditions were decisive to allow me saving it.
I was lucky not just because I could save it, but because the final result will be better than any other running 993 without a full welded rollcage: and this final result I couldn't really expect, I couldn't even imagine it, since I learned and decided how to restore it while I was doing it.
Otherside many told me I had to buy another 993 for using it as a donor car, but this was totally against my intentions: how could I save a 993 by disassembling/cannibalizing another one?
Of course I used also parts coming from crashed cars, but only what was strictly necessary, the rest is going to be new, or coming from car that have been disassembled years ago by someone else, but the truth is I am using very few parts like that.

Then again, people forget I was not a professional in car repair/restoration, so that controversial feeling of dreaming something, but not being able to see how things must be done in order to achieve the final result, was totally surrounding me, but it didn't stop me.

And I am very happy my conviction of doing it didn't lack not even for a single second.

I don't know what's the purpose of this user by just copy/paste something I wrote, I just remember I wrote it as an excuse(to myself) to try cover (to myself) the fact I evidently did something crazy and my brain probably had to find some excuse to bring rationality back in the process.
But deep inside of me I know the "ugly" truth is I did it and I am still doing it for making that dream come true.

I don't know what to think Ed, probably I am just crazy and I must admit it to myself.
Crazy of love in a very respectful way for these creatures, that in any case, from my point of view, should never merit to be disassembled and sold in parts.
And probably even if the chassis would have been in much worse conditions, I would have found the way to make an equally perfect restoration, only with some more time and financial effort through time.

Another thing people don't understand is I am not doing all of this to put it for sale.
This is not a job for me, it is not my job, it is more kind of a sentimental affair.
From my very personal point of view objects live of the emotions and care that people put into them.
Otherwise they are just objects.
​​

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 12-27-2020 at 07:07 AM.
ed devinney (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 12:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I’m certainly not questioning your motives here, it is a wonderful project to watch. I’ve done things in my life that others may have thought crazy, but I have no regrets, and I’m sure you won’t on this one.

The post above that I questioned just didn’t make sense, but if it was cut and paste from something you wrote earlier, then it makes some sense.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:40 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
Part # is 900 041 041 01

Paolo I think sourcing these circlips elsewhere is prudent I haven't checked my Porsche dealer or Sunset in Oregon but rest assured the Porsche tax is alive and well!
i got mine from McMaster Carr a hardware source here in the US , if you so choose you can go to their website and source high grade bolts
and nuts ..stainless , metric , plated , your choice !
Bert
nothingbutgt3 (12-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute