Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 04:18 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbus Gangster
So then why would it make sense to kill the manual when 70% of GT3’s in the US were sold with a stick? I’m not sure why people are so hell bent on saying the manual is dead when there has been no indication otherwise.
This entire thread is speculation….BUT, think it through. It depends on where Porsche puts the 48V hybrid motor. If it is attached to the PDK transmission, as previously reported, that would mean the manual transmission would be a “no go” in hybrid vehicles that require the PDK for the hybrid power plant. . If, on the other hand, the hybrid motor is placed to a front transaxle (as has also been reported/speculated) then a manual could be possible. But, everyone here is just guessing so no need for anyone to get their panties in a wad until we actually have some solid facts concerning WTF the hybrid Powertrain is or is not. Stay tuned!
Old 01-05-2024, 09:37 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F250to911
I don't think that people are hell bent on eliminating manual transmissions. It's just that they see the writing on the wall.

70% of all GT3s amounts to nearly nothing. It is a rare specialty car that almost no one can own. The lucky few that get them are unique and most want the manual transmission as that is one of the qualities that defines the GT3.

The vast majority of all cars are automatic. Only 18% of all people in the US even know how to drive a stick and most of them are of the older generation. Governments are mandating mileage quotas for fleets of manufactured vehicles and every manual transmission offering increases a manufacturer's gas mileage figure for their fleet. Porsche has been one of the last manufacturers of a sports car that still even offers a manual transmission. When they go hybrid the odds are that they will no longer offer manual transmissions in the new hybrid models. I'm sure there will still be GT3s or Carrera T offerings every now and then which will offer manual transmissions. But the vast majority of the manufactured cars will be automatic.
Well first people on here were saying if they go hybrid they can’t do manuals which I had to debunk. Then everyone just blows past Moser the head of the 911 model range quoted in October saying manuals were not going away. So again not sure how people are coming to this conclusion.
The following users liked this post:
roninshiba (01-14-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:26 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Well first people on here were saying if they go hybrid they can’t do manuals which I had to debunk. Then everyone just blows past Moser the head of the 911 model range quoted in October saying manuals were not going away. So again not sure how people are coming to this conclusion.
We are not saying manuals are going away completely in the 911, we are saying that it is highly doubtful that Porsche will engineer a hybrid 911 with a manual transmission. Sure, you proved that a bunch of compact Asian cars for markets outside of the US and probably Europe offer manual hybrids but for Porsche to engineer an entirely new 7 speed manual to accommodate a hybrid set up doesn't seem like a safe bet. If Porsche wanted to do that, they would have during the initial planning of the 992.1 such as with the 8 speed PDK. Already engineered to accommodate a hybrid set-up from the start.

It is safe bet that there will be at least one version of the 992.2 Carrera that will be offered with a manual option. I just don't think that version will be a hybrid.

Last edited by 3uros; 01-05-2024 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:28 PM
Longi
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

https://carbant.com/hybrid-manual-transmission/

Here’s a list of hybrids on the market in 2023 that come with manual transmission:
  • Honda CR-Z 1.5 litre Integrated Motor Assist (IMA)
  • Honda Insight 1.0 litre IMA
  • Ford Puma 1.0 litre Ecoboost MHEV
  • Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre Ecoboost MHEV
  • Ford Focus 1.0 litre Ecoboost MHEV
  • Renault Scenic 1.5 dCi Hybrid assist
  • Kia Stonic 1.0 litre T-GDI ISG
  • Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi 48V ISG
  • Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI ISG
  • Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 48V ISG
  • Kia Xceed 1.6 CRDi 48V ISG
  • Hyundai i20 1.0 litre i20 T-GDI MHEV
  • Hyundai i30 1.5 litre GDI MHEV
  • Hyundai Kona 1.0 litre MHEV
  • Hyundai Tuscon 1.6CRDI MHEV
  • Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet SHVS
  • Suzuki Swift 1.2 litre Mild-Hybrid
  • Suzuki Baleno 1.2 Dualjet MHEV
  • Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Dualjet MHEV
  • Suzuki Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet MHEV
  • Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 1.4 Boosterjet 48V MHEV
  • Nissan Qashqai 1.3 MH
Going off this list, hybrid-assisted manuals are the way to go if you want a 1-liter, 3-cylinder city banger. Doesn't give me great hope for a manual .2
The following 2 users liked this post by Longi:
Fullyield (01-06-2024), zscaler (01-05-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 12:06 AM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3uros
We are not saying manuals are going away completely in the 911, we are saying that it is highly doubtful that Porsche will engineer a hybrid 911 with a manual transmission. Sure, you proved that a bunch of compact Asian cars for markets outside of the US and probably Europe offer manual hybrids but for Porsche to engineer an entirely new 7 speed manual to accommodate a hybrid set up doesn't seem like a safe bet. If Porsche wanted to do that, they would have during the initial planning of the 992.1 such as with the 8 speed PDK. Already engineered to accommodate a hybrid set-up from the start.

It is safe bet that there will be at least one version of the 992.2 Carrera that will be offered with a manual option. I just don't think that version will be a hybrid.
From what I’ve read all 911’s will be hybrid except the base carrera no?
Old 01-06-2024, 12:07 AM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Longi
Going off this list, hybrid-assisted manuals are the way to go if you want a 1-liter, 3-cylinder city banger. Doesn't give me great hope for a manual .2
Some were saying mild hybrid manuals don’t exists so just correcting them is all.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:22 AM
runningduck
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I was told that 992.2 GTS WON’T be NA engine. Asked my dealer to put deposit and it will be available end of this year.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:21 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

So when will 992.2 be announced and released?
According to my rudimentary calc it’s a year overdue!
Old 01-06-2024, 08:54 AM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Porsche is moving to the GTS to a bigger engine, because the 992.1 GTS powertrain was mechanically identical to the 992 S models. It was differentiated only by a tune. As my folks have pointed out (including YouTubers like Nick Murrary), the 992 GTS is not as "special" as prior 911 GTS cars. It looks like Porsche is going to fix that with the 992.2.
Originally Posted by runningduck
I was told that 992.2 GTS WON’T be NA engine. Asked my dealer to put deposit and it will be available end of this year.
OK, trying to get this thread back on track about coming .2 details and not a debate on global manual availability....

Tying to first quote, I can see that....3.0 across all cars left GTS differentiated essentially by only an engine ecu tune so now in .2, increase displacement to 3.6 and add battery.

If .2 S is also same config, isn't that same problem as before?...sharing an engine with a very close cousin.

The engineering economics of a Turbo is that you can easily change power simply with some fans and a tune.

I am not a tech but if S/GTS have same engine and same 48v, which is seemingly fixed in its performance, how do you differentiate power in the 3.6 NA engine between 2 models?

Last edited by ctdubl07; 01-06-2024 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:02 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

What you have read is nothing but speculation and guesswork. The only true fact of which I am aware is that Porsche has stated that it redesigned the PDK for the 992.1 so it could accept a hybrid motor in future models.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:48 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 752 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
OK, trying to get this thread back on track about coming .2 details and not a debate on global manual availability....

Tying to first quote, I can see that....3.0 across all cars left GTS differentiated essentially by only an engine ecu tune so now in .2, increase displacement to 3.6 and add battery.

If .2 S is also same config, isn't that same problem as before?...sharing an engine with a very close cousin.

The engineering economics of a Turbo is that you can easily change power simply with some fans and a tune.

I am not a tech but if S/GTS have same engine and same 48v, which is seemingly fixed in its performance, how do you differentiate power in the 3.6 NA engine between 2 models?

You can differentiate with different Turbos or more boost, if the engine is NA they can increase the redline or increase the size of the battery and motor to increase power Others on here disagree with me, but I do not believe that a 3.6L NA engine with a 48V hybrid can produce enough to maintain or exceed the performance of the 992.1; I think it will either be a 3.6 Turbo with 48V hybrid, or a 3.6 NA with a higher voltage hybrid. It will be interesting to see what Porsche has come up with once they make the official reveal.

The GTS has not been a "special" car in terms of the motor in recent generations The 997 models had the same engine with different tune. The 991.1 GTS was also the same S engine with a Powerkit, which was available for purchase on the S, the 991.2 did have different turbos, and the 992 is just a different tune .
Old 01-06-2024, 01:58 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
What you have read is nothing but speculation and guesswork. The only true fact of which I am aware is that Porsche has stated that it redesigned the PDK for the 992.1 so it could accept a hybrid motor in future models.
Continuing to play the guessing game we can surmise that at least some version of the 992.2 Carrera will not be hybrid as there are some test cars with and without that yellow EV sticker.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 100 Posts

So far we've been told that the base Carrera will NOT be the t-hybrid in the 992.2.

First to be "announced" will be the Carrera and the GTS.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:04 PM
poutine
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys you've got any idea when 992.2 can be ordered ?
appreciate
Old 01-06-2024, 02:06 PM
poutine
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonamayes
So far we've been told that the base Carrera will NOT be the t-hybrid in the 992.2.

First to be "announced" will be the Carrera and the GTS.
I heard so. but not sure with that "announced " time

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info