Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,073 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
I'd go in the opposite direction... The investment is more likely to pay off because Porsche will be the only option to get a stick in a high end sports car.
Big investment for a low take rate doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for a company that now has a public stock offering and continues to push for higher margins.

They would need to design and engineer a new manual transmission, test and validate it, then crash test it (need to crash test both transmissions) and then manufacture a whole (large) assembly component further complicating mass production. All for a transmission not even offered in the largest market (China) and dwindling take rates in other markets.

I love manuals and have a unique personal insight with most of my career in developing and manufacturing consumer goods. Even the most ardent defenders of the manuals within Porsche will agree that they are not long for this world.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
RatherJaded (01-04-2024), zscaler (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:22 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
What makes you say that?

It is certainly the newest theory, but recency does not make for plausibility.

Not trying to argumentative, but just genuinely curious.
Well, we know for a fact that the S and GTS will indeed have some sort of hybrid set-up (Green EV stickers on test vehicles) and Frank Walliser has stated in several interviews that their goal to meet EU 7 standards is to increase displacement since there will be a cap on power per liter of displacement once EU 7 standards take effect.

Several folks here want to believe that Porsche will engineer a manual mild hybrid but I don't believe it. I'll believe it when I see it....I've never read anything about the manual transmissions engineered to accommodate a hybrid set up such as the 8 speed PDK. And that goes back years since 2018... I am willing to bet the Base Carrera and T if there is another T will be the sole manual Carreras (I doubt if Porsche will remove manuals all together especially for the important US market). The GT cars are a different story all together because they still use the old 7 speed PDK from the 991.

Last edited by 3uros; 01-04-2024 at 09:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3uros:
Schn3ll (01-04-2024), tna3 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:29 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Big investment for a low take rate doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for a company that now has a public stock offering and continues to push for higher margins.
Manual take rate for "the rest of the 911 lineup" in the US was 20-25% in 2021, around the same time the 70% figure was released for the GT3. It's unclear to me whether that figure includes TT/S where a stick isn't available - if so, that would put the Carrera models' manual take rate very high. I would have guessed 25-30% for Carreras. I don't think the percent of manuals being built is as low as you think it is.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...ual-take-rate/
Old 01-05-2024, 01:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,655 Likes on 5,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbus Gangster
https://carbant.com/hybrid-manual-transmission/

Here’s a list of hybrids on the market in 2023 that come with manual transmission:
  • Honda CR-Z 1.5 litre Integrated Motor Assist (IMA)
  • Honda Insight 1.0 litre IMA
  • Ford Puma 1.0 litre Ecoboost MHEV
  • Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre Ecoboost MHEV
  • Ford Focus 1.0 litre Ecoboost MHEV
  • Renault Scenic 1.5 dCi Hybrid assist
  • Kia Stonic 1.0 litre T-GDI ISG
  • Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi 48V ISG
  • Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI ISG
  • Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 48V ISG
  • Kia Xceed 1.6 CRDi 48V ISG
  • Hyundai i20 1.0 litre i20 T-GDI MHEV
  • Hyundai i30 1.5 litre GDI MHEV
  • Hyundai Kona 1.0 litre MHEV
  • Hyundai Tuscon 1.6CRDI MHEV
  • Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet SHVS
  • Suzuki Swift 1.2 litre Mild-Hybrid
  • Suzuki Baleno 1.2 Dualjet MHEV
  • Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Dualjet MHEV
  • Suzuki Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet MHEV
  • Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 1.4 Boosterjet 48V MHEV
  • Nissan Qashqai 1.3 MH
And how many of those cars are for sale in the US of A?

I'll wait.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:02 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zachr
Manual take rate for "the rest of the 911 lineup" in the US was 20-25% in 2021, around the same time the 70% figure was released for the GT3. It's unclear to me whether that figure includes TT/S where a stick isn't available - if so, that would put the Carrera models' manual take rate very high. I would have guessed 25-30% for Carreras. I don't think the percent of manuals being built is as low as you think it is.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...ual-take-rate/
Agree, but this is one market. Porsche did this experiment with 991.1 GT3's (no manual), and they sold every single one. That was a canary in a coalmine moment for them.

I do think they will continue to offer the manual in the GT3 and T for 992.2 - no reason not to and they can use current transmissions while appeasing the manual crowd (no brainer), but I would not expect manuals to be compatible with any hybridized 992.2 offerings.
The following users liked this post:
RatherJaded (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:08 AM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And how many of those cars are for sale in the US of A?

I'll wait.
See above. The automotive world doesn't revolve around the US.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:33 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 909 Posts

🤔 More than some would suspect. Latest numbers for 2023 below.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:33 AM
zscaler
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

US is the highest overall profit market for Porsche.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:41 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Big investment for a low take rate doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for a company that now has a public stock offering and continues to push for higher margins..

I have never understood why people relate - or blame - Porsche's desire to be as profitable as possible with their becoming a public company. Do we really think that when the company was privately held the shareholders were less concerned about making money on their investments/holdings?
The following 3 users liked this post by Drew46:
Fullyield (01-05-2024), jwfrazier (01-15-2024), zachr (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:52 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drew46
I have never understood why people relate - or blame - Porsche's desire to be as profitable as possible with their becoming a public company. Do we really think that when the company was privately held the shareholders were less concerned about making money on their investments/holdings?
It is basic Business 101. Investors want growth and growth occurs with investor money injection, money injection is done so to improve likelihood of increased profitability and profitability equates to more dividend and stock growth for investors. The main difference is more loud voices at the table wanting investment returns.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...g-public-mean/
Old 01-05-2024, 10:04 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

It is basic Business 101. Investors want growth and growth occurs with investor money injection, money injection is done so to improve likelihood of increased profitability and profitability equates to more dividend and stock growth for investors. The main difference is more loud voices at the table wanting investment returns.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...g-public-mean/
There is no money injection with improved numbers unless they are doing a capital raise - which they haven't. Improved stock price does not create money for the issuer - only the shareholders.

I have spent the better part of my career working with PE funds, VCs and other private investors and they are as concerned - or more - with performance than the "market". While you may have fewer voices in a private company, they tend to be much, much louder and more demanding. I am not saying that public companies are not under pressure to post good numbers (they certainly are), but that pressure isn't more than with privates. You only need to sit through one board meeting with PE firm appointed directors to understand.

So, while I agree that Porsche makes decisions to make its shareholders happy - after all, that is the purpose of a corporation in capitalism - I don't think those decisions are different or worse just because they went public.
The following 5 users liked this post by Drew46:
Fullyield (01-05-2024), jonbek (01-06-2024), jwfrazier (01-15-2024), Schwarz992C4S (01-05-2024), zachr (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Oreos
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
There is no money injection with improved numbers unless they are doing a capital raise - which they haven't. Improved stock price does not create money for the issuer - only the shareholders.

I have spent the better part of my career working with PE funds, VCs and other private investors and they are as concerned - or more - with performance than the "market". While you may have fewer voices in a private company, they tend to be much, much louder and more demanding. I am not saying that public companies are not under pressure to post good numbers (they certainly are), but that pressure isn't more than with privates. You only need to sit through one board meeting with PE firm appointed directors to understand.

So, while I agree that Porsche makes decisions to make its shareholders happy - after all, that is the purpose of a corporation in capitalism - I don't think those decisions are different or worse just because they went public.
The path to the end profitability goal will be managed in a more linear manner in public company than a private one. That's the beauty of private ownership and a key tenant of the PE pitch, which I'm sure you're familiar with: take a co private, turn it around/reposition it/messy M&A roll up thesis then relist it once done.
Jeahbladejeah (01-08-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 03:23 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oreos
The path to the end profitability goal will be managed in a more linear manner in public company than a private one. That's the beauty of private ownership and a key tenant of the PE pitch, which I'm sure you're familiar with: take a co private, turn it around/reposition it/messy M&A roll up thesis then relist it once done.
True, but Porsche was not owned by PE before it went public. My point is that all corporations - public or private - do (or should do) whatever maximizes profits for its equity and not what a small vocal portion of it customers are clamoring for. That is capitalism, without which most (or all) of us would be without the means to own a Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
jwfrazier (01-15-2024), Michael T (01-08-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 04:00 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zscaler
US is the highest overall profit market for Porsche.
So then why would it make sense to kill the manual when 70% of GT3’s in the US were sold with a stick? I’m not sure why people are so hell bent on saying the manual is dead when there has been no indication otherwise.
Tedster (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 04:12 PM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't think that people are hell bent on eliminating manual transmissions. It's just that they see the writing on the wall.

70% of all GT3s amounts to nearly nothing. It is a rare specialty car that almost no one can own. The lucky few that get them are unique and most want the manual transmission as that is one of the qualities that defines the GT3.

The vast majority of all cars are automatic. Only 18% of all people in the US even know how to drive a stick and most of them are of the older generation. Governments are mandating mileage quotas for fleets of manufactured vehicles and every manual transmission offering increases a manufacturer's gas mileage figure for their fleet. Porsche has been one of the last manufacturers of a sports car that still even offers a manual transmission. When they go hybrid the odds are that they will no longer offer manual transmissions in the new hybrid models. I'm sure there will still be GT3s or Carrera T offerings every now and then which will offer manual transmissions. But the vast majority of the manufactured cars will be automatic.

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info