992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 08:47 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 813 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by black_frog
I know the turbo charger is different.

My opinion is, the base engine with a smaller turbine has better response at lower rpms which gives it a NA like feel to it (ie less turbo lag).

The 992.2 S will allegedly have the 48v motor to compensate for the lag.
You drank the Kool Aid didn't you?

I went from a T to a GTS. No discernible lag. It's all anecdotal or psychological. No one can really put down numbers on how fast each turbo spools up and how much that specific turbo has on the power curve. People seem to think they can tell but they don't know if it's the turbos or just the power curve of the engine and mapping. I have yet to see anyone give facts on this.

And as far as the comment on putting a 48v motor in to compensate for lag on the S. Really? Are we trolling?
The following 5 users liked this post by Ikone:
alextheghost (05-23-2024), CZS (05-23-2024), Ksdaoski (05-22-2024), mferris (05-22-2024), RatherJaded (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:57 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
And as far as the comment on putting a 48v motor in to compensate for lag on the S. Really? Are we trolling?
Someone hasn't been keeping up. The turbos will be electrified, spun in part by an electric motor to minimize turbo lag. It should be a substantial improvement in responsiveness: certainly the 400v version will be, but even the 48v should be noticeably better.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:57 PM
AlfaM5
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Your opinion, not mine.
Yes my opinion. When I hear these guys bragging about their "gated" GT3 and how much markup they paid to get it, it makes me barf. Since when did a manual transmission Porsche become "gated"?

Porsche keeps raising prices because there's this whole new breed of customers it has found. Porsche isn't living off retired physicians in their 70s and 80s.
zachr (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:59 PM
black_frog
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You drank the Kool Aid didn't you?

I went from a T to a GTS. No discernible lag. It's all anecdotal or psychological. No one can really put down numbers on how fast each turbo spools up and how much that specific turbo has on the power curve. People seem to think they can tell but they don't know if it's the turbos or just the power curve of the engine and mapping. I have yet to see anyone give facts on this.

It's a big coincidence as I've gone from a 2022
GTS to a 2024 T and I think T feels much more agile and responsive! If you're all with specs and numbers, yeah you should go with the S or GTS or whatever.

The 992.2 S will come with the 48v motor, if you like it or not.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:59 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlfaM5
Yes my opinion. When I hear these guys bragging about their "gated" GT3 and how much markup they paid to get it, it makes me barf. Since when did a manual transmission Porsche become "gated"?
😂😂😂

You brag because you paid a 100k ADM. I brag because I paid MSRP. We are not the same.
The following 5 users liked this post by zachr:
AlfaM5 (05-22-2024), Billy Bluejay (05-22-2024), Fullyield (05-23-2024), shrimp money (05-22-2024), soguinness (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:01 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

GTS to a 2024 T and I think T feels much more agile and responsive! If you're all with specs and numbers, yeah you should go with the S or GTS or whatever.

Didn't you also say no one would notice the steering difference between a GT3 with double wishbone and a Carrera with struts on the street? Sorry bud, your opinions aren't exactly trustworthy.

Last edited by zachr; 05-22-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Ikone (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:18 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zachr
Someone hasn't been keeping up. The turbos will be electrified, spun in part by an electric motor to minimize turbo lag. It should be a substantial improvement in responsiveness: certainly the 400v version will be, but even the 48v should be noticeably better.
No, that's not what I was reading. I was reading the original comment to be stating that this is to fix the 'current' turbo lag of the S.
Anyway, keeping up with what??? All the rumors or do you have some official source that there is an 'e-turbo to compensate for lag on the S'? Exactly. You don't. So please stop with the 'keeping up'. Sheesh.
Until it's all official, no one really knows.
AlfaM5 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:20 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Good for you.

And I don't think I gave an opinion on the 48V, but glad you are responding to something that I didn't say.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:25 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
FYI, the 997.2 engines were 3.6 and 3.8 while the 997.1 was 3.4 and 3.6.

The turbos are different between a base/T (smaller) and an S (larger). It is not just the ECU tuning. A C2S Coupe allocation is still one of the most desired as well as difficult to come by.
997.1 S was 3.8 and base was 3.6

I had an S... absolutely 3.8
Old 05-22-2024, 09:26 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Turbo lag isn't S-specific, it affects every car with a turbocharger.

And, like...of course they're doing this to improve turbo lag, dude. Why else would they do it? It's not like e-turbos are going to improve fuel economy, nor help the car make more power at the top end. The press releases from Borg Warner make a point of explaining that peak boost is achieved 50% sooner or something like that. By the seat of my pants, I'd guess it's going from about a second down to half a second.

This also aligns with the oldest rumors from Car & Driver, that there would be a "T-HEV" model. Turbo hybrid. Obviously C&D had the implementation completely wrong (shocker), but this rumor seems pretty well substantiated at this point. But sure, we'll see next week

edit: to be clear, they're only not doing this on the Base because of money. It's not because the standard Carrera has much less turbo lag or anything like that. It would benefit similarly from this treatment.

Last edited by zachr; 05-22-2024 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:41 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Turbo lag isn't S-specific, it affects every car with a turbocharger.

And, like...of course they're doing this to improve turbo lag, dude. Why else would they do it? It's not like e-turbos are going to improve fuel economy, nor help the car make more power at the top end. The press releases from Borg Warner make a point of explaining that peak boost is achieved 50% sooner or something like that. By the seat of my pants, I'd guess it's going from about a second down to half a second.

This also aligns with the oldest rumors from Car & Driver, that there would be a "T-HEV" model. Turbo hybrid. Obviously C&D had the implementation completely wrong (shocker), but this rumor seems pretty well substantiated at this point. But sure, we'll see next week

edit: to be clear, they're only not doing this on the Base because of money. It's not because the standard Carrera has much less turbo lag or anything like that. It would benefit similarly from this treatment.
Okay, not trying to argue here, but....lol. jk.
Where are the numbers on lag? I've always wanted to see the numbers between the base, s turbos. I keep hearing about lag, but honestly, I'm not sure if what people are feeling is actually turbo lag. I used to drive a WRX. You wanna talk about lag.
I won't get numbers or stats, I'm sure, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence and psychology playing a role here. We need some of these folks to do some blind tests. lol
Old 05-22-2024, 09:54 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

I just realized that I do have some real data on this, via data logs from the M-Engineering dongle. Spot checking a few pulls, it is indeed about a second from stabbing the throttle to achieving full boost. It takes about half a second to get “close” (75% of ~peak), and another half second to get the rest of the way there with the M-Eng stage 2 tune on my GTS. I have no clue how much of that is programmed in versus being as fast as the turbo can manage to build the boost, but there’s some real data for you.

Maybe one day I’ll do a log on the stock map and see if the lag is comparable. If someone with a base carrera and the M dongle is willing to do their part, that might motivate me a bit more…

Last edited by zachr; 05-22-2024 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:10 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I just realized that I do have some real data on this, via data logs from the M-Engineering dongle. Spot checking a few pulls, it is indeed about a second from stabbing the throttle to achieving full boost. It takes about half a second to get “close” (75% of ~peak), and another half second to get the rest of the way there with the M-Eng stage 2 tune on my GTS. I have no clue how much of that is programmed in versus being as fast as the turbo can manage to build the boost, but there’s some real data for you.

Maybe one day I’ll do a log on the stock map and see if the lag is comparable. If someone with a base carrera and the M dongle is willing to do their part, that might motivate me a bit more…
Ah. Okay, so the dongle gives you stats on the boost (tracking it)? This would be interesting to see from base, S, GTS.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:10 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKarlB
997.1 S was 3.8 and base was 3.6

I had an S... absolutely 3.8

I still own a 997.2. I was confusing the 997.1 displacement with the prior 996.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:16 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Ah. Okay, so the dongle gives you stats on the boost (tracking it)? This would be interesting to see from base, S, GTS.
Yes, though it’s not exactly automatic. You need the dongle connected to a PC with the logger configuration provided by the folks at M. For anyone looking to do this, I’m using the Time, Target Position Throttle, and Manifold Absolute Pressure columns, and calling it “peak boost” when MAP is within ~100 of the local maximum for the pull. The logs I’m looking at start around 4500rpm. I assume the lag would be much greater starting at, say, 2500rpm and locked in gear. That’s also the situation where e-turbos will make a huge difference.
Ikone (05-22-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info