Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 12:21 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,435 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I agree, but consider this…Porsche advertises in all it’s press releases on the LiPo battery, that it lasts “ ~ 2.5X longer than the standard/non-Li battery”. Not my estimate, but Porsche’s. Further, the median lifetime for the standard 911 battery is 3-5 years, so lets go with the average of 4 years. So, in theory, the LiPo battery should last about 10 years. Assuming one trades in/up their 911 before the 10 year clock strikes midnight, it becomes a moot point to the current owner. But even if you don’t sell/trade-in within 10 years time, with these standard battery…you may end up replacing twice? Cost for a replacement for the standard 911 battery is, at least, $450 + tax+ labor (for non-DIY folk)…so, I’ll say getting a new battery will cost at least $500-$600 at Porsche. So, in 10 years time, you will have spent ~$1K+ in regular battery replacements…so, still cheaper with the regular battery, but the differential is not $1850…but more like $800 at 10 years. Less than 10 years, the LiPo battery should cost you nothing, so in that time period, you would come out ahead…in theory. 🤔

But in the end, I bet Porsche is counting on it’s loyal fan base to sell/trade-in the 911 within 10 years…for the next generation of shiny object. Let’s face it…we all love the latest gadgets and shiny objects.
You make good and valid points. But, I replace my AGM battery every 4 years for less than $200 which is about $500 total cost over 10 years. Plus the AGM battery is available anywhere and everywhere. I can use any brand. So, it’s $1850 every 10 years for a proprietary “Porsche” LI battery (if I can find one) or $500 every 10 years for AGM batteries I can get anywhere. I love the idea of RAS. Sole reason I did not order it as an option was the LI battery issues. I sympathize with our Canadian members who are not given a choice in the matter.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:29 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
You make good and valid points. But, I replace my AGM battery every 4 years for less than $200 which is about $500 total cost over 10 years. Plus the AGM battery is available anywhere and everywhere. I can use any brand. So, it’s $1850 every 10 years for a proprietary “Porsche” LI battery (if I can find one) or $500 every 10 years for AGM batteries I can get anywhere. I love the idea of RAS. Sole reason I did not order it as an option was the LI battery issues. I sympathize with our Canadian members who are not given a choice in the matter.
Price wise, I assumed what my Porsche dealership charges. All bets are off on price comparisons if you use something else and DIY. But appreciate the AGM batteries are cheaper and found everywhere.

As I mentioned, I suspect Porsche is expecting most of it’s customers to trade-in their 911 before the clock strikes midnight at 10 years. 10 years is a very long time when it comes to automotive innovative changes.

I think the real “gotcha” is that this battery is “proprietary”, not so much the price (since $$ isn’t a real issue for most Porsche owners).

As an aside - knowing what I know about the LiPo battery, etc….I would still opt for the option if it meant that’s what I had to do to get RAS.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-13-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:30 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,004 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by null
@Antigravity , or anyone else with knowledge, what's the "shelf life" of these lithium ion batteries? Could one, for instance, purchase and keep one of them as a warm spare, in case something happened to their original, or would the spare need to be tendered or maintained in any way, or might it likely "expire" before being put to use?

I ask because I am planning to get a car with RAS, and would consider purchasing an extra battery with the car (as a form of battery insurance), so I wouldn't have to kick cans down the street while waiting for parts if I ran into trouble; just not sure how long these batteries can sit on the shelf without going bad.

Tangentially, I cannot believe that something as traditionally reliable as a battery can no longer be taken for granted on a 160K+ car. It's embarrassing. I feel embarrassed even talking about it.
Hey Null,

You question is on the shelf life of the LIFEPO4 Battery.... here some points to consider.
- The BMS (Battery Management System) is what can draw down the LIFEPO4 Battery more quickly that it would otherwise. For example the BMS puts a mild self-discharge on the lithium battery pack in the case of our Antigravity Automotive Battery line, and it could possibly be a much higher self-discharge in the Porsche Battery being it probably has a more active BMS than our since it also arguably more electronics inside to send the data points (voltage, current, temp) to the Porshes system. So that could be a main reason these Porsche Batteries are discharging faster than a typical Lifepo4 Auto Battery like ours.

But I do want to point out we make Racing Batteries without a BMS and those products are amazing because they can sit on a shelf about a year and still have 13.2v in them. But they do not have the Protections of a BMS system so that is a double edge sword and not recommended for Street Cars. The point here being Lifepo4 can actually hold a charge up to a year when not connected to anything that draws energy, but once you have a BMS it will reduce the shelf life by a good amount, and that will ultimately depend on who is making the BMS. So I can't give you a hard number but can say for our Antigravity Batteries if you have it on a shelf doing nothing after a full charge you can get about 6 month of sitting without being connected to anything before we would say put a charger on it again. But for the Porsche Battery it may only be two months ( I dont' know at all) since it might have more active electronics on their BMS to be able to do what it does. Sorry I can't answer better on that.
The following users liked this post:
null (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 02:35 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey Null,

You question is on the shelf life of the LIFEPO4 Battery.... here some points to consider.
- The BMS (Battery Management System) is what can draw down the LIFEPO4 Battery more quickly that it would otherwise. For example the BMS puts a mild self-discharge on the lithium battery pack in the case of our Antigravity Automotive Battery line, and it could possibly be a much higher self-discharge in the Porsche Battery being it probably has a more active BMS than our since it also arguably more electronics inside to send the data points (voltage, current, temp) to the Porshes system. So that could be a main reason these Porsche Batteries are discharging faster than a typical Lifepo4 Auto Battery like ours.

But I do want to point out we make Racing Batteries without a BMS and those products are amazing because they can sit on a shelf about a year and still have 13.2v in them. But they do not have the Protections of a BMS system so that is a double edge sword and not recommended for Street Cars. The point here being Lifepo4 can actually hold a charge up to a year when not connected to anything that draws energy, but once you have a BMS it will reduce the shelf life by a good amount, and that will ultimately depend on who is making the BMS. So I can't give you a hard number but can say for our Antigravity Batteries if you have it on a shelf doing nothing after a full charge you can get about 6 month of sitting without being connected to anything before we would say put a charger on it again. But for the Porsche Battery it may only be two months ( I dont' know at all) since it might have more active electronics on their BMS to be able to do what it does. Sorry I can't answer better on that.

Have you guys - recently, or in the past - reached out/ approached Porsche to see if you could be a secondary, if not primary, supplier to them for the LiPo batteries? Seems they need help in this area?
Old 05-13-2022, 02:36 PM
IXIXI
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 55 Posts

How safe is it to leave either the Porsche or AGravity battery on the proper charger/trickier for the duration of winter months?
Old 05-13-2022, 02:39 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,364 Posts

No problem with that.

As to the points raised concerning alternative batteries. With all due respect, the entire point is moot. We can't have a LiFePO4 battery sans BMS period. Nor can we modify via PIWIS (or certainly way beyond anything I would be willing to do) such an equipped car to accept an AGM battery and at that point also be able to disconnect RAS since AGM doesn't have the amperage needed for the current surge required by RAS.

Lastly how long a battery can theoretically sit with or without Porsche BMS is again moot unless you can actually test out the viability of the BMS software and harness prior to buying a "spare" one for when you need it, until Porsche gets off it's proprietary wagon. This is not like buying a spare quart of oil.

It's unfortunate but until any vendor comes up with a cloned LiFePO4 with a Porsche BMS (let's look at China) substituting or buying a spare is IMHO moot.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 05-13-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Guzzgreg (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 02:44 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by siberian
Just my 2 cents, but it seems IMHO that the main issue is NOT with the battery but with the BMS software and/or harness. Depending on length of time you would need to have them on a trickle charger but again if the software monitoring the whole thing is malfunctioning no matter what maintainer or charger you put it on it's not going to be of much use.

siberian
From the data that some have stated.... it would actually appear to be the battery. I am saying that from what I have read in terms of the Dead Battery scenario, not just a battery saying its low as a flag... It appears the batteries can't be woken from their Protection Modes, or the Dealers are saying there is a damaged sensor in the Battery. This would not be caused by the Cars BMS , but rather the interior BMS in the Battery itself. Anyway, its a truely ridiculous issue and shows that over-engineering rarely works and creates a greater problem the the supposed issue it resolves. This was no more than Porsche's attempt to create a closed system that Porsche could control the pricing on, and not allow the Customer to be able to replace one of the simplest parts of a vehicle. My Porsche should make Proprietary Tires for their vehicles next!

Also $2k for a Battery is getting pretty darn crazy and especially if they are not getting about 8 to 10 years. I would be scared to buy a Car if I came in armed with the knowledge that I'm buying something that will cost me an extra 2k every few years for such a simple product as a battery.
Guzzgreg (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 02:56 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Could very well be. Or it could be the BMS code or a faulty harness (less likely but...)

You're very right it's ridiculous this proprietary business (have faced that along my IT career many times) and along the vein of the Porsche and the Mobil1 0w-40 ESP x3 oil for 992s that can only be gotten at dealers (though Mobil1 seems to be opening up a bit). I keep mentioning this, but customer loyalty is a fickle business and when you loose it it's gone.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 05-13-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:15 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Have you guys - recently, or in the past - reached out/ approached Porsche to see if you could be a secondary, if not primary, supplier to them for the LiPo batteries? Seems they need help in this area?
No, we have not reached out to Porsche. The large Auto manufacturers are on different level, we talked to some that approached us, but I don't need it or like it really. Its a long proccess, it has many pitfalls and is best left to companies that are also very large, and do that scale of business.

But, what I can say is that we are in the new Paganis that are coming out toward the end of this year. Pagani reached out to us two years ago, so the new Car will have our battery, and they have also developed a retro-fit kit using our Antigravity Batteries for the previous and current models. So that is super cool for us.

Being blunt I know Pagani must have reached out to A123 Systems and several others who are way bigger than us... so I'm stoked they chose us. I think they saw we are small, and can develope stuff super fast, and we make stuff that does what we say. So they kept it simple which was smart, they could have put a more complex battery by A123 Systems but probably saw it was more engineering and tied them to only one product, and last larger companies like A123 are not fast... its all a slow process. For example we had to make a remote button for Pagani rather than our Wireless Jump Starting... we did that for them in a month and sent samples... a larger company would take 6 months to do that. We also are talking to and popular English Car maker of smaller sports cars but that has been going on two years also... so its a long process. So at this point we have a niche that is growing rapidly in several catagories, and that suits us just fine. I'm also a control freak and don't want anyone telling us what to do.

Last edited by Antigravity; 05-13-2022 at 03:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
CodyBigdog (05-13-2022), Guzzgreg (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IXIXI
How safe is it to leave either the Porsche or AGravity battery on the proper charger/trickier for the duration of winter months?
Absolutely and perfectly safe... no issues at all. These modern charger are designed to be left on cars without issues, and the batteries can handle it fine.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:10 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Absolutely and perfectly safe... no issues at all. These modern charger are designed to be left on cars without issues, and the batteries can handle it fine.
is it possible that the charger can damage the harness/bms/sensor on the battery?

i only ask because my issue w/ the sensor flashing low voltage started after i came back from vacation, when i had the car locked and on the trickle charger. it was fully charged, but when i started it, bam, warning light. So it freaked me out that maybe the charger fried it somehow. I use the CTEK lithium charger fwiw, not the Porshce branded, and used the battery positive, but a negative post terminal near the battery (couldn't reach the big negative post by the driver side), using that 'hardwire' ring harness, not the alligator clamps.

Last edited by achilleas101; 05-13-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:13 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Possible but IMHO unlikely. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

siberian
Old 05-13-2022, 04:16 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Possible but IMHO unlikely. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

siberian
ha, yeah, i just LOOOOVE those coincidental errors. My favorite- had a 2003 A4, it was like 4 years old and i was checking the front left wheel out for play. Had it raised on a jack. Put it down, get everything ready to go, i turn on the car, and i get a check engine light. I'm like, WTF JUST HAPPENED? all i did was try to move the wheel back and forth. Did i knock something around?!? Turned out that a coilpack died. Just the random timing of it freaked me out.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:23 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I feel you. In these uncertain situations we tend to look for any and all possible or probable causes but at the end as a renowned sleuth once remarked "when you eliminate everything else then whatever remains however unlikely must be the cause". I think in this case it's unlikely to be a charger (whether Porsche, CTEK or other) but battery related. Now as to whether it's the BMS, physical battery or harness that's for a CSI autopsy to determine. Way beyond anything any of us (and I would venture most dealers) to determine. Most likely the latter will be told by Porsche to ship it home to them - and I doubt anyone will ever really know the cause.

siberian
Old 05-14-2022, 12:01 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

FWIW My 2S is now running RWS with a Porsche supplied AGM battery. Everything seems to work fine in 80 degree weather. I have no idea if that would be the case below freezing. I don’t know how big of an AGM they installed to make it work or how long the battery will handle this type of usage. Just has to make it to the end of July for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michigan 992:
Fullyield (05-14-2022), kgb_kgb (05-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery