AP?

siberian
Andreas Preuninger.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:07 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,376 Posts

Thanks! Maybe he can explain then why they're placing AGM's in 992s with RAS and what the inherent risks are as I outlined above in writing of course.

siberian
Old 05-15-2022, 11:08 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
How much current does RAS draw? What’s the fuse rating, or does it use a thermal overload?
I don't have the answers to those questions, but if you spend some time searching, you will be able to independently corroborate that while using a lithium battery to compensate for the weight of the actuators was part of the reason, the other part being that the RAS system requires more current than a non-lithium battery can consistently provide per the engineers.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes I agree and that was my take. So WHY are they placing the wrong battery in 992s (because they can't get any LiFePO4s) but what are the risks of doing so, as I outlined?

siberian
Old 05-15-2022, 11:15 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Yes I agree and that was my take. So WHY are they placing the wrong battery in 992s (because they can't get any LiFePO4s) but what are the risks of doing so, as I outlined?

siberian
The answer to that question is above my pay grade!
Old 05-15-2022, 11:18 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And mine, but it should be answered as I certainly wouldn't be too keen to drive a car that may lock the rear wheels 3 degrees off due to a battery fail...

The safer alternative is to DISABLE RAS until the right battery is installed. Furthermore we still don't know whether the battery failure is the battery itself, a BMS error or harness or a combination.

siberian
Old 05-16-2022, 03:39 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
I don't have the answers to those questions, but if you spend some time searching, you will be able to independently corroborate that while using a lithium battery to compensate for the weight of the actuators was part of the reason, the other part being that the RAS system requires more current than a non-lithium battery can consistently provide per the engineers.
Threads like these have been going on for years and I’ve yet to see a definitive answer from Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
Tompoodie (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:02 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

And mine, but it should be answered as I certainly wouldn't be too keen to drive a car that may lock the rear wheels 3 degrees off due to a battery fail...

The safer alternative is to DISABLE RAS until the right battery is installed. Furthermore we still don't know whether the battery failure is the battery itself, a BMS error or harness or a combination.

siberian
I would not be very surprised if Porsche is using RWS as a [reason][justification][excuse] to move those cars to the LI batteries and that it is [advantageous][preferable][a tiny bit better] for them or otherwise extends the expected life of the RWS components or reduces the potential for some warranty claim. I find it hard to believe that they would (or their lawyers would allow them to) use a AGW replacement if there was even the slightest chance of an RWS fail. And they don't seem to have an issue disappointing customers while blaming supply chain issues (second keys, steering columns, etc.) I see it as on one of two scenarios: either the entire need for the LI battery is BS or, at best, a stretch of the word "need" or the Porsche legal department is just not very risk averse. My money would be on the former.

I am not trying to cast Porsche as some evil empire, just the shareholder value focused corporation that it is. That said, for a higher-end consumer products company selling to enthusiasts, one would think that better transparency and disclosure to the customers would result in increased shareholder value in the long term.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:35 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
The answer to that question is above my pay grade!
My 2018 GT3 had RAS and did not come with a Lithium Battery.

No way do I believe it wil be an issue
Old 05-16-2022, 09:39 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,494 Likes on 930 Posts

[QUOTE=Drew46;18145956

I am not trying to cast Porsche as some evil empire, just the shareholder value focused corporation that it is. That said, for a higher-end consumer products company selling to enthusiasts, one would think that better transparency and disclosure to the customers would result in increased shareholder value in the long term.[/QUOTE]

Very true on this and several other issues!
Old 05-16-2022, 12:21 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by achilleas101
is it possible that the charger can damage the harness/bms/sensor on the battery?

i only ask because my issue w/ the sensor flashing low voltage started after i came back from vacation, when i had the car locked and on the trickle charger. it was fully charged, but when i started it, bam, warning light. So it freaked me out that maybe the charger fried it somehow. I use the CTEK lithium charger fwiw, not the Porshce branded, and used the battery positive, but a negative post terminal near the battery (couldn't reach the big negative post by the driver side), using that 'hardwire' ring harness, not the alligator clamps.
Being I am not the manufacturer of the Charger products, I don't want to step outside of bounds and say incorrect info... but from experiance and understandinf DC current and voltage issues there should be no issues whatsoever with a Charger damaging any sensor simply because it does not do anything more than an alternator does to the battery and in fact does it much less since it will rarely go as high in voltage than an Alternator does at time, and secondly it only puts out about 4~5 Amps Max on a CTEK or Optimate Chargers.... So that would not affect or damage any sensor. They also have reverse polarity protections on these modern chargers, so another thing that would protect the Sensor.

But let me also say that Porsche tried to blame an E-Brake Sensor locking up my brake system on the Battery!.. Which is utterly proposterous, so I told them "your wrong" and gave the reasons and they interestingly changed there minds after I said we could go to court on this if they wanted. They will blame anything on other manufactures products to get out of warranty issues. But remember, if you are using the CTEK that is the Porsche Charger so they can't really say anything.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:50 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
FWIW My 2S is now running RWS with a Porsche supplied AGM battery. Everything seems to work fine in 80 degree weather. I have no idea if that would be the case below freezing. I don’t know how big of an AGM they installed to make it work or how long the battery will handle this type of usage. Just has to make it to the end of July for me.
That is very big news Michigan, sort of the HOLY GRAIL of what this thread has been about..... as I recall in your earlier posts you were in the "Industry" so to speak.

Might be worth it to your fellow owners on Rennlist and beyond to call the dealership and ask what they did because there are several bringing up this same problem and looking for a solution. Secondly, and and potentially selfishly as an aftermarket business that would like to prove you don't have to have a $2000 dollar Porsche Lithium Battery I would be willing to even pay for that info because it solves what might be a larger problem than we can even see on these forums, and we feel our product is better.

I think this does show Porsche knows they can solve this...so that is good new for many of you.

Last, I am calling boloney on the "necessary" comment from Porsche or whatever engineer said that with RAS... they did it before with AGM batteries, and while LITHIUM absolutely has less resistance and a better ability for higher loads, it does not mean you have to have it for certain loads. Also, if your Car specifically required it, then you would probably want to put even more Amp Hours in the Battery and beef up the Alternator for more output since the Battery isn't actually designed to POWER parts of your Car when running. A battery designed to support and stabilize your charging system and provide starting, lighting and ignition power... not to power RAS, or Power Steering when the Car is running, it just supports any overloads if they do occur. I think for sure using Lithium was a way to improve on several areas... lightweight benefit, better discharge current for higher loads, long life, and for Porsche the ability to make a closed system that generates extra revenue, but I don't thinks it is "necessary" for the car to run normally.
The following 3 users liked this post by Antigravity:
Guzzgreg (05-16-2022), null (05-16-2022), OliverK68 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 02:04 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Being I am not the manufacturer of the Charger products, I don't want to step outside of bounds and say incorrect info... but from experiance and understandinf DC current and voltage issues there should be no issues whatsoever with a Charger damaging any sensor simply because it does not do anything more than an alternator does to the battery and in fact does it much less since it will rarely go as high in voltage than an Alternator does at time, and secondly it only puts out about 4~5 Amps Max on a CTEK or Optimate Chargers.... So that would not affect or damage any sensor. They also have reverse polarity protections on these modern chargers, so another thing that would protect the Sensor.
thanks, I appreciate the detailed info on this.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:13 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

well, i may have gotten lucky! My SA just called and told me they have a battery in stock. Apparently it was set aside for a different customer, but it fell through. he didn't know details, all he knows is that his parts dept told him it's now available for me. So i got an appointment next Wed 5/25 to get it installed.

<fingers crossed>

Last edited by achilleas101; 05-19-2022 at 05:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (05-19-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 08:45 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 111 Posts

I feel you. In these uncertain situations we tend to look for any and all possible or probable causes but at the end as a renowned sleuth once remarked "when you eliminate everything else then whatever remains however unlikely must be the cause". I think in this case it's unlikely to be a charger (whether Porsche, CTEK or other) but battery related. Now as to whether it's the BMS, physical battery or harness that's for a CSI autopsy to determine. Way beyond anything any of us (and I would venture most dealers) to determine. Most likely the latter will be told by Porsche to ship it home to them - and I doubt anyone will ever really know the cause.

siberian
If the battery is appear like below model, there is solution:

Here is the battery module location.

When the battery sit too long at below lower limit, the protection (BMS) stuck in locked state likely corrupted.

The data need to be restored to allow recharge and resume its function. A vendor claim it works for 2018 to 2020 model with above battery series.

PM for more.

Last edited by rnlst_log; 05-20-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery