Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 03:54 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
It will when you start switching to Sport mode full-time (which you should).
Looking forward to finding out.

Based on the driving I've been doing it does seem like there is a lot going on behind the scenes. From watching the Voltage reading on the dash and correlating that with If I have topped off the battery it seems to work something like this:

If the battery is full it will just straight run off the battery without doing any charging until reaching some X level of depletion.
Then it will opportunistically recharge the battery. (Idling, deceleration)
Once the battery is too depleted and the start stop becomes unavailable it will begin charging full time like a traditional system. Once it has enough juice to enable start/stop it will then go back to opportunity charging. It never seems to bring the battery back to a full state of charge on it's own. Perhaps with enough idling "opportunity" it will, or maybe different modes have their own charging strategies (TBD).

Last edited by Mike818; 06-14-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDCREW
*** - I’m planning to tune it so I think that will work to permanently get rid of it.

Understood on battery, I appreciate the knowledge share. Gracias!
If you do get rid of it, please post. Thanks

siberian
Old 06-14-2024, 05:27 PM
CJDCREW
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
If you do get rid of it, please post. Thanks

siberian
AGM Battery or ***?
Old 06-14-2024, 05:31 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

*** would be more universally interesting. Thanks

siberian
The following users liked this post:
CJDCREW (06-14-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 11:05 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
@Antigravity is that plug and play? Any PIWIS coding necessary?
The few word answer is yes, plug and play no changes needed in PIWIS 99% of the time roughly.

Our Batteries work fine with the AGM setting for Batteries and in fact we tell people to NOT change the setting in our instruction manuals and on the stickers we place on the battery.... unless they encounter any flags or an anomoly. The reason is firstly because the Charging profile (in Cars and Vehicles) for AGM is very similar to Lithium and easily within the range that lithium handles. Note that a Car does not charge like the stand alone Chargers you buy to maintain your battery, a Car has a basic Charging profile, but the stand-alone charger usually has the "recovery/save/recondition" modes which are basically "desulfate modes" that spike voltages to lead/acid batteriesto remove sulfates from lead acid plates and which does NOT occur in Lithium Batteries. Lastly, when you don't change anything about your vehicle when you put our battery in you have a solid baseline to establish the Antigravity Battery is working fine without any changes as it shoul, then if you see flags we can see if there are any issues. So essentially YES the Antigravity is PLUG AND PLAY and not needing coding. We have found this almost across the board in all brands of vehicles, and mainly Porsche since they seem much more inclined to have flags if any voltage is off even by a tad.

Lastly as an FYI.......in your Car Lithium works fine with an AGM setting, but you don't want to use an AGM Lead Acid stand-alone charger on a Lithium Battery due to them usually having a Desufate Mode usually named something like "recondition, save, or repair" these modes spike voltages to the Lead/Acid battery to remove sulfate from the lead plates, but lithium does not sulfate and does not need the spiking voltage, so that is why you use a Lithium Specific charger when you use the chargers on Lithium batteries.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:17 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDCREW
don’t have my car so maybe it would be more clear with it in hand, but I’m not following this post. I’m US market so despite getting a T will receive an AGM by all accounts, thus negating a good chunk of my weight savings in my car so I am planning to swap my AGM for your lithium immediately. Could you clarify what is needed in that case? I had thought from prior info that it was just remove AGM and insert antigravity lithium.
Up unitl I think 2018 all (modern) Porsche Batteries used a ground strap similar to what I have in the picture above. It has that oval plug area to plug in an Oval Linbus plug. This is called an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS). So you plugin a connector that is located in your car into this plug on the Ground Cable. But then in 2018 Porsche started installing their own Branded Lithium Battery that has this IBS and plug directly into the Porsche Lithium Battery , instead of the Ground stap like the AGM equipped Cars. But they both send the same data to your cars system, but as I mentioned in the Lithium Battery the IBS is built into the battery. So you will see that Lithium equipped Cars has a Groundstrap without this IBS Plug on it, whereas AGM Cars will the IBS on the Ground Strap itself. Then if you look at the part# on the Porsche Micro-fiche you see that this is the option fo the AGM equipped cars. Hope that makes sense.

I want to be blunt, we have heard of about 10 people who have done this and we have not done it ourselves but they said it worked. I used to have a GT3 RS but that was a 2016 which didn't have the new IBS and Lithium Battery so we have not done this with our own car yet since we don't have a Porsche at the shop anymore.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:02 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 315 Posts

This thread feels oddly familiar 😊
The following users liked this post:
Guzzgreg (06-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery