Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 10:01 AM
dassArse
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 93 Posts

@Antigravity thx for the clear deets.

does seem like for being such a beast, the car loooooves its sleep state.

any chance there is a spare promo code laying around you could DM? missed the LD sale while tanning at the pool!
Old 09-08-2023, 12:46 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by dassArse
@Antigravity thx for the clear deets.

does seem like for being such a beast, the car loooooves its sleep state.

any chance there is a spare promo code laying around you could DM? missed the LD sale while tanning at the pool!
You can email chad@antigraivtybatteries.com and we'll get you taken care of.
Best regards,
The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
dassArse (09-08-2023), George718 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:02 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 735 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
A couple things to point out...

Any of those Porsche Connect and other manufacturers things like that draw alot of energy. They monitor your car and send data to whomever and location info and its taking a lot of energy to run that stuff. It like when your laptop is connected to the internet the battery drains super fast. So watch for those connections.

Also a CTEK charger has a max of 4 amps but it will rarely supply that much to the car ever, it usually just a fraction of the 4 amps it rated for so depending on your load you might not be getting a real good charge on the battery if that Porsche Connect and other accessories are drawing on the battery at the same time. Might want to invest in a 10Amp Charger that can provide some overhead during times of all the accessory possibly drawing on the system.

Very good you have batteries for your Cameras, but you stated you had one plugged into the Power port in the car, so make sure it it switched off in Key-off Position. Alot of time USB chargers and other stuff you plug into accessory ports draw way more energy than you may think. Because they will have lights or other stuff that does not turn off even if you are not charging anything. We tested some and one was drawing 1.5 amps just being plugged in and without powering any USB Devices like a phone. So watch those things.

A trickle Charger, or a regular 4 Amp CTEk cannot wake up the Lithium Batteries. You need a Charger that has a BMS reset.... like Optimate makes, or a Power supply type charger that you can feed a higher voltage to so you can wake up the battery IF it is not in it lock-out protection state. For example you need a strong 12v or higher voltage, with a solid probably 8-10 amp of current because the car draws energy once it sees electricity. So a CTEK won't overcome the current and voltage drawn by the car when you connect it to the car and try to give the system a boost that would wake up the Lithium Batteries BMS, even when you press the CTEK RE-SET button. We found the Optimate Model with a BMS re-set can work on our battery in most circumstances, but not if you have the lights on because they start drawing current and take away from the level of voltage and current you need to zap the battery awake.

YES you can attache both the our Micro-Start Harness and the Charger to the same connection point you use them at different time for different things so you are good. WE have a diode on our harness so you can't directly connect the Charger through our Harness. The Diode if for safety so no back charge will go into the jump starters port after you start the car.

Hope that was clear enough, if not let me know.

So do you feel that the optimate charger that delivers 9 amps would be a better option than a CTEK for a vehicle that will be garaged over the winter?

Old 09-08-2023, 09:59 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

You may be confusing things. If you simply want to garage the car for the winter then a CTEK is fine. If you suspect that down the line you may need to awaken a "dormant" battery then something more powerful is needed. A last pointer is as painful as it is to see folks hibernate their car, should you decide to do this, leave the frunk popped open, disconnect Porsche Connect as well as any radar detector. GL

siberian
Old 09-12-2023, 02:51 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 409 Likes on 185 Posts

Battery died while getting PPF/ ceramic. Any tips for them to get to started?
Old 09-12-2023, 02:54 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What year is your car? What voltage are you reading on your battery (AGM or LiFePO4)?

siberian
Old 09-12-2023, 04:24 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Originally Posted by siberian
What year is your car? What voltage are you reading on your battery (AGM or LiFePO4)?

siberian
it’s a lithium 2022. He got it running.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:28 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Have you done a VAL and specifically value of Connect module? The 2022s should not have the parasitic drain that TSB2229.3 addressed, but then again this whole BMS is...

siberian
Old 09-12-2023, 06:18 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Originally Posted by siberian
Have you done a VAL and specifically value of Connect module? The 2022s should not have the parasitic drain that TSB2229.3 addressed, but then again this whole BMS is...

siberian
Whats a VAL?
Old 09-12-2023, 06:53 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Vehicle Analysis Log. Use SEARCH and read up on how to get a dump from PIWIS of all variables etc. of your car

siberian
The following users liked this post:
adrianp89 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 09:58 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Didn't find a how-to on this... just some general info. Looks like I would need to buy something. Not sure if I need all of that.

On the battery note, my PPF guy owns several businesses. One of which is building custom lithium batteries. We were talking he said BMWs have the same issue. Batteries will show dead but still read voltage, Germany just tells them to order a new battery. He uses this to charge the batteries and it brings everything back to life pretty quickly. It worked within an hour on the 992 and he has done several BMWs for the dealer. I got a check engine light, but after the second drive it went away. For the 992 he needed to disconnect the ground wire and set to 13.8v.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by adrianp89; 09-13-2023 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:13 PM
dassArse
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Didn't find a how-to on this... just some general info. Looks like I would need to buy something. Not sure if I need all of that.

On the battery note, my PPF guy owns several businesses. One of which is building custom lithium batteries. We were talking he said BMWs have the same issue. Batteries will show dead but still read voltage, Germany just tells them to order a new battery. He uses this to charge the batteries and it brings everything back to life pretty quickly. It worked within an hour on the 992 and he has done several BMWs for the dealer. I got a check engine light, but after the second drive it went away. For the 992 he needed to disconnect the ground wire and set to 13.8v.

Amazon Amazon
can i mount this in the dash for shear marty mcfly madness?
adrianp89 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:46 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is informative and infuriating at the same time! 2022 Targa 4S, battery died a couple months ago, was awakened and charged... fast forward to today. Car was on a 400 mile road trip 2 weeks ago and driven 2x after that. Sat for 3 days, and is DEAD AGAIN!

I cannot allow myself to think this is acceptable. Car has 2k miles. Tech is taking over haha

Old 09-15-2023, 11:04 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by St8haus
This thread is informative and infuriating at the same time! 2022 Targa 4S, battery died a couple months ago, was awakened and charged... fast forward to today. Car was on a 400 mile road trip 2 weeks ago and driven 2x after that. Sat for 3 days, and is DEAD AGAIN!

I cannot allow myself to think this is acceptable. Car has 2k miles. Tech is taking over haha
What a joke. Speechless.
OMTarga4S (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 05:55 PM
OMTarga4S
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by St8haus

I went through a very similar situation. I drove it everyday for a month, I left the vehicle parked for almost two weeks and returned to a dead battery. No solution at this point.

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery