Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 11:16 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 94 Posts

in the words of the great Matthew McConaughey, "all right, all right, all righhht!" ...i am pleased to report that i got my new lifepo4 battery installed today. and as reported by @tjohn the part number on it is 9Y0.915.107.NY, where my original had .H.

Everything looked good on the drive home, so right now, I'm happy.

Still no 2nd key fob arrived, but one thing at a time...

Old 01-26-2023, 02:13 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 560 Posts

Anybody have a problem with the Lithium Battery in thier 992? For example are you or did your Lithium Battery fail and you can't get a new one because they are out of stock? Or perhaps you want to go with an AGM so you are not stuck with having to replace a battery in the future with the $2500.00 dollar Porsche Lithium? I am asking this IF your 992 came with a Porsche Lithium battery that failed, and IF you want to find a "work around" that will allow you to put an AGM (Lead/Acid) or other Brand Lithium in your Car, and not be tied to Porsches $2500 dollar Lithium Battery.

So here are the basics. I recently talked to a Porsche Mechanic at the dealer I bought my Porsche from (now sold). He had heard of one Customer who had their Lithium Starter Battery in a 992 swapped to an AGM after waiting too long for a Porsche Lithium Battery last year... so I questioned him on it. He said it was at another dealer but he told me they apparently swapped the Negative Ground Battery Cable from a 992 that did not have a Lithium Battery in it. So what this apparently does is allows the Connector that normally goes directly into the Porsche Lithium Battery to simply plug into the same exact Connector that is on the 2020 992s Negative Ground cable for 992s that don't come with Lithium Batteries. So in essence the Porsche Lithium Battery has the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) inside of it, and the models that don't have the lithium battery have the IBS on the Negative Ground Cable, as all the non Lithium Battery Porsche do. So you are simply swapping the Ground Cable that would be used for a 992 that did NOT have a Lithium Battery.

The part # for this Cable for a 2020 992 is called a Ground Cable Part # 992-915-181. This part# may be different for later year vehicles, I could not find a Part# for a 2022 992 Ground Cable on the internet so I will have to go to Porsche and check into this and see if they change it or use the same one.

A few notes about this-

I'm not claiming this works being we have not personally tested it yet. I am relaying what I heard directly from a Porsche Mechanic that works at a Dealer. So theoretically, and logically it should work.. It is also being done using Genuine Porsche Parts. Both the IBS found on the non-Lithium 992s, and the Lithium Battery 992s IBS will be reporting the exact same data through the 2 wire Lin system Connector. And the Connectors are the same exactly, so in theory is should be the exact same data or there would be too much confusion and cost to develop a different system of lin protocol for each car. Manufacturers try to keep things simple to keep cost down.

- Also, I am not claiming this will help any of the odd discharge issues that some of the 992s are having, that is a different fix that Porsche offers for that parasitic drain issue. This is simply a method to be able to use an AGM Battery or another version of a Lithium Battery with the 992s that come standard with the Porsche Lithium Battery which has shown some failures and which is seriously overpriced at $2500 dollars.

So if anyone is in the Greater Los Angeles Area and wants to try to see if this works, we at Antigravity Batteries would be interested and will buy the Negative Cable Parts and test it with you. We are in the Gardena area if that is relatively close to you. Or, as I showed above, you can buy that Ground Cable yourself and try it on your own. It could be a great work around for those who want to simply not be tied to an expensive Porshe Battery.

We are going to buy the part and I am going to go down to meet the mechanic at Porsche once I get it to go over how this looks and how the install would be done, but upon first review it appears to be simple swap for the 992 Ground Cable. We'll see...

Last edited by Antigravity; 01-26-2023 at 09:37 PM. Reason: horrid spelling...typing too much too fast
The following 9 users liked this post by Antigravity:
CodyBigdog (01-26-2023), FloraFauna (09-02-2023), Guzzgreg (01-26-2023), Humbucker427 (01-26-2023), KM20Turbo (02-02-2023), lone992 (01-26-2023), merrion13 (01-26-2023), NickM (01-26-2023), Schnave (02-03-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2023, 03:19 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Very interesting, thanks for posting and please keep us posted on your tests. As you mention, of course, if there is a parasitic drain (whether from the seat, ECU or other) this will not fix it, but a very interesting method of swapping out a LiFePO4 for an AGM cost wise while hopefully not generating an error code.

For those with weight concerns this of course doesn't apply. As to dimensions, what group number would the AGM be? Same as the 991s?

siberian
Old 01-26-2023, 05:44 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
... they apparently swapped the Negative Ground Battery Cable from a 992 that did not have a Lithium Battery in it... the part # for this Cable for a 2020 992 is called a Ground Cable Part #992-915-181
For reference, this echos what the OP shared back in August (same part number, as well):

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1315...l#post18336753

The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 05:49 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

I had faith you guys would eventually POSSIBLY get this figured out. This is great news…if in fact is does indeed work…which I’m sure it will.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:47 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by siberian
As to dimensions, what group number would the AGM be? Same as the 991s?

siberian
Well most are the H6 and H7 with the H6 being used more often in the 991s. I hope I am understanding your question that you are asking about the Group size.

I would actually assume that the 992s might be more oriented to have the H7 in them being I think they have more electronics and system updates for the 992s so Porsche might offer a little higher Amp Hours... but only a guess.

siberian (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 10:49 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

So I finally got around to opening the front access panel and found a Banner lead acid battery. Can I install the Antigravity battery with no issues? Obviously I do not have rear wheel steering on this car.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:42 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackland
So I finally got around to opening the front access panel and found a Banner lead acid battery. Can I install the Antigravity battery with no issues? Obviously I do not have rear wheel steering on this car.
Hi blackland, yes, in this scenario you would be able to drop one of our models right in. Depending on use and set up we'd likely look at the 40 and 60 amp hour options as ideal.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:00 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi blackland, yes, in this scenario you would be able to drop one of our models right in. Depending on use and set up we'd likely look at the 40 and 60 amp hour options as ideal.
I looked on your website, it does not list a battery for the 911 past 2019?
Old 01-27-2023, 07:04 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So I ordered the 992 Ground Cable and it should be to me in about 4-5 days they state.

I have a couple other points I wanted to see if any one could assist with this. Also I have an experiment I want to try, but I don't have a 992.

- The first thing is I was wondering if any of you with a 992 can post pictures of your Negative Terminal at the Battery and where it routes to on the 992s regardless if you have a Lithium Battery or a Lead Acid Battery. If anyone could get some images from the Terminal to where the cable Terminates to it mounting spot on the Chassis. I will be visiting a Porsche Dealer in a week or two but I would like to initially see if anyone can get some pics of the cable so I can do some comparisons. The reason is because I have only found the 2020 Ground Cable but I would like to compare if later years like the 21 or 22 model years ground cables are any different from the one I am buying, which is for a 2020.

-The other thing I came up with is..... IF any of you WITH a Lithium Battery, even if it is working fine, are interested in trying an experiment I will pay for the Cable to try this out, and offer you 50% off an Antigravity Battery in the future if you ever need one or can send you one of our Powerstations or latest Jump Staters or something for your time.

My experiment is this.... if you have a working Lithium Battery in your 992, you can still see if this Ground Cable Swap works. For example if you simply change out the Ground Cable from your Lithium Batteried 992 to a Ground Cable from a Lead/Acid 992, then in theory you should be able to simply plug in the Lin Connector into the new Gound Cable's Lin Connector and the Car should (theoretically) perform as normal. By doing this it can be proven if the 992 with the new Ground Cable is operating correctly, even with your existing Lithium Battery being that is the same data is reported then the car should not know the difference. The Lin connector is the same, and the data being reported should be the same, then it should work (hopefully). If it did work, you would now have a different Ground Cable, and be ready to swap out to AGM or another brand of Lithium in the future. Or you could put it back to stock. So anyway that is also a idea of mine just to check if this works. So if anyone wants to try that let me know.

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
KM20Turbo (02-02-2023), Schnave (02-03-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 07:16 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackland
I looked on your website, it does not list a battery for the 911 past 2019?
Sorry about that, our Battery Finder must need to be updated for recent years. As I recall we didn't want to put our battery as a replacement for any of the newer Porsches with the Porsche Lithium Version since our Battery does not have Linbus. So I think that confused our Webperson. I will ask him if there is a work around for updating that.

But please note that if you have an AGM BAttery in your Car and it is the same size as the Battery we offer, For example an H6 or H7 size that is most common with 911s of any year. It will work perfectly fine. Also note that Porsche 911s in the last 15 years or so will accept any and all of 3 sizes of Batteries since they have a moveable cleat that holds the Battery in place. The size that fit 911s are H6, H7 or H8. The most popular size for Porsches is H6...but if you have an H7 and want that size we also offer that. Lastly, the INTERNALS of our Antigravity Batteries are all exactly the same and only the EXTERIOR CASE size changes. For example if you wanted a 40Ah Antigravity in an H6 size, it will have the same internals as a 40Amp Hour H7 size. And if you wanted an H6 in the 60 Amp Hour option (bigger lithium cell pack, more expensive), it would be the same internals as the H7 size.... so you are simply picking a Case size you would prefer. I hope I made that clear. Any other questions please feel free to ask or write us at scott@ or chad@antigravitybatteries.com
blackland (01-30-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 09:01 PM
psc85c
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you requested.

992 C2,

11/21 build.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:04 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by psc85c
As you requested.

992 C2,

11/21 build.
First off thank you so much PSC85C!

Thanks for taking the time to get the pics and taking part in this! Please write to me at scott@antigravitybatteries.com and let me know if you need or desire anything Antigravity Batteries makes, and I'll square you up with a big discount and some stuff I can get you for free.

2ndly those pics are perfect I see everything clearly! I expected it to be routed to a more difficult to see or reach area. So at least one factor in known for sure now....so if this works, it will be exceptionally easy to mount a new ground wire.

Last edited by Antigravity; 01-28-2023 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2023, 07:12 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

If this works, please do a separate summary/write-up, and I'll move it to the DIY.

siberian
Old 01-31-2023, 08:44 PM
psc85c
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have a problem with the Lithium Battery in thier 992? For example are you or did your Lithium Battery fail and you can't get a new one because they are out of stock? Or perhaps you want to go with an AGM so you are not stuck with having to replace a battery in the future with the $2500.00 dollar Porsche Lithium? I am asking this IF your 992 came with a Porsche Lithium battery that failed, and IF you want to find a "work around" that will allow you to put an AGM (Lead/Acid) or other Brand Lithium in your Car, and not be tied to Porsches $2500 dollar Lithium Battery.

So here are the basics. I recently talked to a Porsche Mechanic at the dealer I bought my Porsche from (now sold). He had heard of one Customer who had their Lithium Starter Battery in a 992 swapped to an AGM after waiting too long for a Porsche Lithium Battery last year... so I questioned him on it. He said it was at another dealer but he told me they apparently swapped the Negative Ground Battery Cable from a 992 that did not have a Lithium Battery in it. So what this apparently does is allows the Connector that normally goes directly into the Porsche Lithium Battery to simply plug into the same exact Connector that is on the 2020 992s Negative Ground cable for 992s that don't come with Lithium Batteries. So in essence the Porsche Lithium Battery has the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) inside of it, and the models that don't have the lithium battery have the IBS on the Negative Ground Cable, as all the non Lithium Battery Porsche do. So you are simply swapping the Ground Cable that would be used for a 992 that did NOT have a Lithium Battery.

The part # for this Cable for a 2020 992 is called a Ground Cable Part # 992-915-181. This part# may be different for later year vehicles, I could not find a Part# for a 2022 992 Ground Cable on the internet so I will have to go to Porsche and check into this and see if they change it or use the same one.

A few notes about this-

I'm not claiming this works being we have not personally tested it yet. I am relaying what I heard directly from a Porsche Mechanic that works at a Dealer. So theoretically, and logically it should work.. It is also being done using Genuine Porsche Parts. Both the IBS found on the non-Lithium 992s, and the Lithium Battery 992s IBS will be reporting the exact same data through the 2 wire Lin system Connector. And the Connectors are the same exactly, so in theory is should be the exact same data or there would be too much confusion and cost to develop a different system of lin protocol for each car. Manufacturers try to keep things simple to keep cost down.

- Also, I am not claiming this will help any of the odd discharge issues that some of the 992s are having, that is a different fix that Porsche offers for that parasitic drain issue. This is simply a method to be able to use an AGM Battery or another version of a Lithium Battery with the 992s that come standard with the Porsche Lithium Battery which has shown some failures and which is seriously overpriced at $2500 dollars.

So if anyone is in the Greater Los Angeles Area and wants to try to see if this works, we at Antigravity Batteries would be interested and will buy the Negative Cable Parts and test it with you. We are in the Gardena area if that is relatively close to you. Or, as I showed above, you can buy that Ground Cable yourself and try it on your own. It could be a great work around for those who want to simply not be tied to an expensive Porshe Battery.

We are going to buy the part and I am going to go down to meet the mechanic at Porsche once I get it to go over how this looks and how the install would be done, but upon first review it appears to be simple swap for the 992 Ground Cable. We'll see...
For a 2022 992, the negative ground cable part numbers are:

992 971 235 A for Lithium

992 915 181 for AGM.

Local dealer didn't have either the AGM cable or an AGM equipped car to photograph the cable.

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery