Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 12:25 AM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lithium ion battery

Hi,
anyone knows if we can change the lithium ion battery with a standard lithium battery not from Porsche .

apparently the new 992 that comes with the ion battery Has a build in sensor that speaks to the ecu !

is this true ? What happens if we use a standard lithium battery say from antigravity ?

Thank you
Old 04-30-2022, 02:46 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,407 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by kgb_kgb
Hi,
anyone knows if we can change the lithium ion battery with a standard lithium battery not from Porsche .

apparently the new 992 that comes with the ion battery Has a build in sensor that speaks to the ecu !

is this true ? What happens if we use a standard lithium battery say from antigravity ?

Thank you
Will not work
Old 04-30-2022, 03:45 AM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Will not work
Any idea why ?
car would not start up ? Or
Old 04-30-2022, 09:14 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Hi,

Thank you

The folks from Anti-Gravity mentioned that it will throw codes if the sensor/module is not connected. But easiest way to see for yourself is disconnect the module from the existing Porsche li battery and see what happens? If it doesn’t start, reconnect and try again?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-30-2022 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kgb_kgb (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 09:43 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,799 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Hi,

Thank you
It can’t be swapped for a standard battery or an aftermarket battery. As noted above, it will throw codes. That Porsche battery is also necessary to support the draw of the RAS system.
kgb_kgb (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 09:47 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
That Porsche battery is also necessary to support the draw of the RAS system.
was the Lithium battery used for draw or to offset the weight of the RAS?
Old 04-30-2022, 09:50 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by doug_999
was the Lithium battery used for draw or to offset the weight of the RAS?
Porsche, themselves, mention the weight savings….but my service manager mentioned to me that the Li battery also serves to provide the surge current needed for the RAS system. Finally, it is my understanding that the Li battery is standard in cold weather countries like Canada…so much have some superior properties in cold weather?

That said, I suspect any Li battery would do, and not sure why Porsche went to a proprietary system….except to lock all owners into having to get one of their batteries? No idea if the Porsche Li battery is any better/different from the much cheaper Anti-gravity Li battery?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-30-2022 at 10:03 AM.
kgb_kgb (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 03:46 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

For recent deliveries, Porsche has switched the Cayenne battery from Li back to AGM. Good info in this thread including comments on the LIN bus connector and input from Antigravity Batteries. See https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-battery.html

Last edited by dasams; 04-30-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:55 AM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Changed batteries and the car doesn’t crank or start up but dashboard lights up etc .

changed backed to the Li batteries and it’s powers up.

Thank you ANTIGRAVITY helpline as they also advice me that their batteries would not work with the cars fitted with the lithium ion batteries

bobblehead (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 08:14 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 66 Posts

Changed batteries and the car doesn’t crank or start up but dashboard lights up etc .

changed backed to the Li batteries and it’s powers up.

Thank you ANTIGRAVITY helpline as they also advice me that their batteries would not work with the cars fitted with the lithium ion batteries
‘Now that sucks I was hoping someone would come up with a work around. Not looking forward to a $3k battery when mine eventually goes. Thank you Porsche.
kgb_kgb (05-02-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 09:50 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

People should complain to their local dealership. Send the service manager and GM links to all these threads on Rennlist. I did, and it seems to be getting some traction - local, at least. But maybe if enough people start voicing their complaints back to Porsche, things might change, nationally?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-01-2022 at 09:53 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Antigravity (05-02-2022), Guzzgreg (05-01-2022), Larson E. Rapp (11-02-2023), Zeek1 (04-19-2024)
Old 05-02-2022, 08:37 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,281 Likes on 816 Posts

I strongly considered RAS as an option but did not order it solely because of the Li On battery and related issues reported here. I will just replace my $200 AGM battery every 3-5 years. Thank you RL!
russm535il (05-04-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 985 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
It can’t be swapped for a standard battery or an aftermarket battery. As noted above, it will throw codes. That Porsche battery is also necessary to support the draw of the RAS system.
The facts as we know them are these... PLEASE NOTE, THIS IS AN OLD POST IT HAS BEEN UPDATED TO REFLECT WE DO FIND THERE IS A WORK AROUND. PLEASE JUMP TO POST IN THE JULY 2023 DATELINES..

-At this point in time, and note I say "at this point in time", there is not a work around for Installing an aftermarket Lithium Battery, or AGM Battery to replace the latest Porsche Lithium Battery in the 992s. The reason for this is becuase the current Porsche Lithium Battery has a proprietary plug located on Lithium Battery itself that sends it's data (voltage, current, temperature and other data) via Linbuss from within the battery itself to the Car'a system. BUT.....That does not mean there is not going to be a work around for this because an Intelligent Battey Sensor (IBS) system, that is currently all the Porsches with AGMs, does the exact same thing but in a module that is attached directly to the Car's (Neg or Pos) Battery Terminal Clamp. So there are two seperate ways to get the data to the main computer in the Cars so the Car system can make determination on when to charge the battery and such.

The point here being that there is high probablity for a work around to this system, as they have done in the aftermarket for the BMW systems. The reason I say this is because first, BMW people have done it, additionally as noted on the Cayenne forum some of the new Cayennes are coming with AGM instead of Lithium, and they have to use the IBS type system rather than the plug in system if they do that. So if a car can use an AGM it can use an Antigravity Lithium Battery also. No method for sending the Battery data is really better than the other, its just a way for Porsche to require a proprietary battery on the Cars using their newest Lithium Batteries which are severly overpriced (personal opinion on the pricing part). So with that being said there may be a work around and we can assume it might be a wiring harness change and use an IBS sensor when swapping it out.

Another interesting thing would be to know if the plug-in tip that fitss into the newer Porsche Lithium Battery is the same tip that fits into the IBS plug that is located on the terminal on the other car with the AGMs.... so in fact it might be a harness swap since some of the 992s had AGMs.

On another front the reason they use the Lithium for Rear Wheel Steering is becuase lithium is less prone to voltage sag when higher currents are drawn from it... meaning it more capable of higher discharges than Lead/Acid. But being honest the older GT3s with rear wheel steering did just fine with the Lead/Acid Batteries. Yes the Lithium is much better in performance, but my point being they don't have to have it be Lithium, so there should be an option to have AGM in the Cars. Again personal opinion says they went with Lithium YES for better performance , but made it the silly proprietary Plug-in to be able to control the pricing and require you only use a Porsche Battery, and that is where I call the boloney. A battery should not be a special order part, especially if they can't even stock them.

Last edited by Antigravity; 07-12-2023 at 03:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Antigravity:
detroitr (10-30-2023), Guzzgreg (05-02-2022), rdv (03-18-2023), TimboCarrera (05-11-2022), tourenwagen (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:10 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

My car has been down for 4 weeks now with Porsche and the dealer trying to fix it. They decided it needed a new Li battery, but Porsche doesn’t know when they might be able to supply one. At this point I would not recommend Purchasing a Porsche product for anything more than occasional use with a primary vehicle to use when it is down. Love the car, but Porsche service is little better than 1980’s when PCNA was called with a complaint they would just hang up.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:25 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,281 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
My car has been down for 4 weeks now with Porsche and the dealer trying to fix it. They decided it needed a new Li battery, but Porsche doesn’t know when they might be able to supply one. At this point I would not recommend Purchasing a Porsche product for anything more than occasional use with a primary vehicle to use when it is down. Love the car, but Porsche service is little better than 1980’s when PCNA was called with a complaint they would just hang up.
My dealer would put me in a loaner vehicle (2022 Macan) to use in this instance and your dealer should do the same for you.
Guzzgreg (05-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery