Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 08:03 PM
tjohn
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgb_kgb
Anyone knows who has has a ready battery and how long do we need to wait for a new battery if we need to indent !

I have been hearing horror stories up to 30-60 days !

is this true ?
I have a 2021 911 Turbo Cab in need of a battery. The part number on the existing battery is 9Y0.915.107. H
in my search for a replacement I learned a few things. A replacement part number is now NY instead of H.
One dealer told me he heard there was a fire at the production plant thus leaving a replacement difficult to source.
I also found that a handful of dealers may actually be sitting on stock but this number will be low. It would appear that a receptive dealer may be able to help you source one from another dealer but again the number is low.
If you do find one transport now becomes problematic as they are considered a hazardous good but ground shipping may be possible.
I actually was able to source 2 new batteries. Both of these were located in Canada which is a bonus for me as that’s where I am.
One was on the west coast which I committed to and waiting delivery. Again problematic. This one has the same original part number on it so I’m assuming it likely has been sitting on the shelf for a year. The other with the NY lettering is located at Porsche Centre North Toronto.
Can’t shake the crazy price of CDN$2400 plus tax though and then there’s that shipping thing again but at least it gets you on the road.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:31 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,350 Posts

You need to get a complete written statement from your dealer as to what the (suspected) cause is, what the error message is, and any ancillary charges encountered like shipping and contact Porsche Canada with this info. While any other part failing with a new vehicle is (other than tires) pretty much covered, batteries are not. Thus you need to make sure this is not rejected due to suspected user error (you left the lights on, or a radar detector/camera etc.). Take any relevant pictures of the error message as well with the mileage.

GL

siberian
Old 05-12-2022, 08:50 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,379 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
At the very least, Porsche needs to be honest and transparent with their customers. Much like the issue regarding the activation of the matrix lighting, Porsche keeps the customers in the dark.

I like the car, but a growing dislike for corporate/business decisions will make me re-think if I ever want to buy another Porsche….when the time comes.
Add to the list: (1.) the emission issues with the 991.1 PDK causing a recall aka Dieselgate and (2.) the Porsche decision to not allow repair of PDK distance sensors ($200 part) and instead requiring a full PDK transmission replacement at $25k. Corporate geeks who are not car enthusiasts are making some very poor decisions.You are correct- no transparency = lack of trust and credibility.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-12-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:53 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Including some of the latest design "features"... customer loyalty is a fickle thing as I mentioned...

siberian
Old 05-12-2022, 11:25 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 210 Posts

@Antigravity , or anyone else with knowledge, what's the "shelf life" of these lithium ion batteries? Could one, for instance, purchase and keep one of them as a warm spare, in case something happened to their original, or would the spare need to be tendered or maintained in any way, or might it likely "expire" before being put to use?

I ask because I am planning to get a car with RAS, and would consider purchasing an extra battery with the car (as a form of battery insurance), so I wouldn't have to kick cans down the street while waiting for parts if I ran into trouble; just not sure how long these batteries can sit on the shelf without going bad.

Tangentially, I cannot believe that something as traditionally reliable as a battery can no longer be taken for granted on a 160K+ car. It's embarrassing. I feel embarrassed even talking about it.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:34 PM
tjohn
5th Gear

Default LION Battery

One would hope this shortage of these batteries will not be a long term issue and Once the factory gets up and running again the problem will be behind us. I’ve come to understand that keeping a Li tender plugged in during times of non use is advisable and the battery should last 5 or so years
Old 05-13-2022, 12:33 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just my 2 cents, but it seems IMHO that the main issue is NOT with the battery but with the BMS software and/or harness. Depending on length of time you would need to have them on a trickle charger but again if the software monitoring the whole thing is malfunctioning no matter what maintainer or charger you put it on it's not going to be of much use.

siberian
Old 05-13-2022, 01:20 AM
tjohn
5th Gear

Default Charger

Good point
Old 05-13-2022, 03:05 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by null
@Antigravity , or anyone else with knowledge, what's the "shelf life" of these lithium ion batteries? Could one, for instance, purchase and keep one of them as a warm spare, in case something happened to their original, or would the spare need to be tendered or maintained in any way, or might it likely "expire" before being put to use?

I ask because I am planning to get a car with RAS, and would consider purchasing an extra battery with the car (as a form of battery insurance), so I wouldn't have to kick cans down the street while waiting for parts if I ran into trouble; just not sure how long these batteries can sit on the shelf without going bad.

Tangentially, I cannot believe that something as traditionally reliable as a battery can no longer be taken for granted on a 160K+ car. It's embarrassing. I feel embarrassed even talking about it.
The antigravity team would have a better answer than mine. However LiPo batteries from a life perspective is actually greater than AGM (assuming you have no issues, faulty battery, etc.). I have had my F12 with LiPo since 2014 (sold it last year, current owner still has no issues with the original battery), keep it on a charger when not using for long periods, etc.) I think you can get nearly double the life expectancy when maintained than you would an AGM type battery.

Not sure when just sitting as a backup, if that was your question - not sure if not being maintained if sitting not used what that would look like longer term as a backup?

I fortunately have had no issues with my last two 992s with LiPo (both have RAS). As we know some have had issues, with either a faulty battery or BMS?... I think the vast majority has not had issues...

I do think Porsche should drop the proprietary BMS/control module thing, as there is a hugely valid fact that if you were on a road trip (supply issues aside right now) - what a pain that you have to have a porsche specified battery, and a porsche service center to replace a LiPo via programming it with the right code or whatever voodoo they have to do. There are many that live far from a service center, or perhaps might be on a trip where there is no service centers.. Even Ferrari and Lambo are not proprietary - you just need a LiPo.
The following users liked this post:
Guzzgreg (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:45 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
There are many that live far from a service center, or perhaps might be on a trip where there is no service centers.. Even Ferrari and Lambo are not proprietary - you just need a LiPo.
Ya think?

siberian
Old 05-13-2022, 04:39 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Ya think?

siberian
I literally was going to add... Some live far from a dealer/service center, including all our friends in Alaska :-) I was thinking about you Siberian!
Old 05-13-2022, 11:32 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 781 Posts

As tjohn discovered, Canadian dealers are much more likely to have a new LiPo battery in stock as they are standard issue on ALL 992s (with RAS or not). $2400 Canadian converts to about $1850 US, and with shipping you'd be at around $2k...still a bundle for a battery but not outlandish, IMO.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:42 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,379 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
As tjohn discovered, Canadian dealers are much more likely to have a new LiPo battery in stock as they are standard issue on ALL 992s (with RAS or not). $2400 Canadian converts to about $1850 US, and with shipping you'd be at around $2k...still a bundle for a battery but not outlandish, IMO.
Excellent point regarding LI batteries being more readily available in Canada. Good tip. Thanks. But, $1850 for a battery is not in my realm of reasonable.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:07 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I literally was going to add... Some live far from a dealer/service center, including all our friends in Alaska :-) I was thinking about you Siberian!
I am definitely feeling the love now! However back to your avatar... we had talked about this right...?

siberian
Old 05-13-2022, 12:08 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Excellent point regarding LI batteries being more readily available in Canada. Good tip. Thanks. But, $1850 for a battery is not in my realm of reasonable.
I agree, but consider this…Porsche advertises in all it’s press releases on the LiPo battery, that it lasts “ ~ 2.5X longer than the standard/non-Li battery”. Not my estimate, but Porsche’s. Further, the median lifetime for the standard 911 battery is 3-5 years, so lets go with the average of 4 years. So, in theory, the LiPo battery should last about 10 years. Assuming one trades in/up their 911 before the 10 year clock strikes midnight, it becomes a moot point to the current owner. But even if you don’t sell/trade-in within 10 years time, with these standard battery…you may end up replacing twice? Cost for a replacement for the standard 911 battery is, at least, $450 + tax+ labor (for non-DIY folk)…so, I’ll say getting a new battery will cost at least $500-$600 at Porsche. So, in 10 years time, you will have spent ~$1K+ in regular battery replacements…so, still cheaper with the regular battery, but the differential is not $1850…but more like $800 at 10 years. Less than 10 years, the LiPo battery should cost you nothing, so in that time period, you would come out ahead…in theory. 🤔

But in the end, I bet Porsche is counting on it’s loyal fan base to sell/trade-in the 911 within 10 years…for the next generation of shiny object. Let’s face it…we all love the latest gadgets and shiny objects.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-13-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery