Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 02:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,350 Posts

The dealers can't code a used battery to a different vehicle. Kind of like the old anti-theft software we put in to stop people from stealing stereos

With all due respect, I don't believe that's true. Many folks on the Macan forum have replaced AGM batteries with bogus serial numbers etc. using Launch and mod was accepted. I don't believe the IBS keeps a database nor would the ECU etc. of valid and non valid serial numbers. Conversely if that wasn't the case, it would have to have a link back to the mothership in Germany to check whether the serial number was correct making changing a battery a nightmare. The old anti-theft software was linked to THE face plate that came with the HU and this was easy to accept or not as they weren't meant to be replaced every few years.

I'm sorry for the hassles folks are experiencing (I have an LiFePO4 one as well - knock on whatever I don't have any issues but it's constantly when not driven on a CTEK charge/maintainer), but I think the dealer is selling you a cop-out IMHO. They or anyone who has a PIWIS or Launch and a replacement LiFePO4 battery should be able to swap it.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
kgb_kgb (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 03:29 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 695 Posts

If anybody needs a Ctek lithium charger, I got one left. Bought it before I figured my car has AGM. Used for a week. PM me if interested.

kgb_kgb (05-09-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:34 PM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rosencrance
My 2020 911 Li battery is defective. Won't hold a charge. My Bend, OR Kendall dealer told me to call 800 Porsche. I did, no reply. I'm now in Tucson and Chapman Porsche diagnosed my battery and found it defective. As they were out of loaners they offered me, at their cost, a rental until a new battery arrived, or better yet, they installed their test battery which I can keep until my new battery arrives. They have no idea when a new battery will be priority air freighted to them. Great service from Chapman Porsche of Tucson.
did they need to program your replacement temporary battery ?

I was told that new batteries has to be coded with the vehicle .

Old 05-08-2022, 09:37 PM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
No. Supply is not that good. Li batteries of this size are considered hazardous material and Porsche doesn't seem to want to pay the air freight bill to get them to North America quickly. With production stopped in Europe they should have plenty to ship.

Porsche is sending a tech and one of their batteries to get my car back on the road until a new battery can come in. They are estimating July for a car that has been down since early April. The dealer should be able to handle the new battery fitment once it arrives. The dealers can't code a used battery to a different vehicle. Kind of like the old anti-theft software we put in to stop people from stealing stereos. FYI Porsche made this offer hours after posting on this site.
Oh man, the new batteries are a long wait !!!!

anyone knows if anyone has ready stock in the States ?
Old 05-08-2022, 09:38 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

ANY battery change (new or used) needs to be coded in the GATEWAY module as can be seen below:

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 05-08-2022 at 09:49 PM.
kgb_kgb (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 11:07 PM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by siberian
ANY battery change (new or used) needs to be coded in the GATEWAY module as can be seen below:

siberian
thanks for confirming
Zeek1 (04-19-2024)
Old 05-09-2022, 02:55 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

NP, GL

siberian
Old 05-09-2022, 08:23 AM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Found a spare battery from a mechanic .

Is there a way,we can charge a lithium battery !

Stories goes like this car was not started for a week or two and the external in car camera drained the battery.

can we use the ctek to recharge it ? Or is the battery truly dead .

Thanks

Last edited by kgb_kgb; 05-09-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, as long as it's a LiFePO4 battery charger and as @Tobeit offered above; and of course depending on the current voltage of the battery in question.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 05-09-2022 at 12:40 PM.
kgb_kgb (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 03:37 AM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by siberian
Yes, as long as it's a LiFePO4 battery charger and as @Tobeit offered above; and of course depending on the current voltage of the battery in question.

siberian
all righty , would ask for current voltage and see .

Thanks
Old 05-10-2022, 01:10 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 997 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by kgb_kgb
all righty , would ask for current voltage and see .

Thanks
The greater issue is that you have to wake up the battery from its protection mode FIRST, then Charge it. The problem is that a CTEK Charger, is in most every circumstance, is NOT adequate to wake up a Lithium Battery out of its Protection Mode. The reason is because it does not have enough of a initial Pulse of Volts/Amp to specifically re-set the Battery Management System/Protection Mode. So with the CTEK or other Charger attached they won't supply a solid 12 to 13v hit with a solid 10 to 20 amp to awaken the battery.

But let me explain this a bit better. A Lithium Battery has a BMS (Battery Management System) and if the battery is discharged beyond a certain set point.... for example 11v (or whatever), then the battery goes into a SLEEP/PROTECTION Mode. So the BMS Circuit board knows to shut down the battery so it cannot discharge more energy and damage itself by going to a low voltage point. But, to awaken this BMS it requires a solid bump of Voltage and sufficient Amps to WAKE-UP the Battery's BMS Circuit Board. Please note, it is not a massive bump of energy that is needed, it is as simple as connecting another 12v battery (that is in a good state of charge) to it for a second, thats all in most cases. It simply wants to see a solid voltage so it knows that is can WAKE UP. The problem is these Battery Charger Manufacturers do not program in a solid and full 12+v pulse of energy that will awaken the BMS before they start charging the battery.

Lithium Chargers, as well as other modern chargers actually want to see Voltage at a Battery's Terminals before they start charging a battery, its a safety feature and also and anti-spark feature. So these CTEKS will not see voltage at the Lithium batteries terminals since the battery is in PROTECTION/SLEEP MODE so they will often not understand to do the Pulse of Voltage/Amperage to awaken the battery so they can start the charging process. So they actually sit attached to the battery doing nothing since they don't see active voltage coming from the Battery. But now they are offering a BMS RE-SET, but it still isn't sufficient as we have tested. If you do attach a solid 12v source to the battery for a second it should wake up, then you can charge it since it has now woken up.

Anyway the point to my ramble is to get the battery awake first so it can accept a charge. But note that for some batteries, if they do become massively over-discharged the BMS will do a complete lock-out of the battery so it cannot be recharged, this is a safety feature. I can't tell what Porsche programmed because we can't get a battery to test. But I did test the heck out of waking up our Lithium Batteries from a sleep mode using the pulse method also, so I am very familiar with this since we tested a few chargers and they did not work to reset or awaken the BMS.

Last edited by Antigravity; 05-10-2022 at 01:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Antigravity:
kgb_kgb (05-11-2022), peterdouglas (05-14-2022), Redrider (05-10-2022), Zeek1 (04-19-2024)
Old 05-10-2022, 02:12 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Which is why I stated (very briefly) to check the battery voltage. I should have added if it's in "sleep mode" it will need to be awakened (with another battery as you mention is fine) unless it's gone below a certain voltage where it's no longer salvageable. This whole BMS is a mess with as usual little or no info from Porsche as the key is for the user to know next to nothing of their cars.

siberian
Old 05-10-2022, 04:01 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 94 Posts

So i finally took my car in for the battery error i was getting (said low battery voltage, sevice required) even though the battery was behaving fine.. and yes, lithium battery. Never drained, always started right up, showed 13.x volts. If it weren't for the warning, i wouldn't have taken it in.

Anyway, my SA today just told me they need to replace the battery as it's bad. Didn't get more specific. But she said the parts department is estimating a week for them to get one.

Color me shocked. And wont be counting any chickens yet. I'm in Northern Va, so i dont know if theres one close by or what. But considering my 2nd key fob that was supposed to get here weeks ago still hasnt, I'm not counting on it.
BondJ (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 04:06 PM
por356
Racer

Received 378 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity

Anyway the point to my ramble is to get the battery awake first so it can accept a charge.
I appreciate your full explanation as I’m not familiar with the differences between battery types and see I have a lot to learn.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:20 PM
Carolina1
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 29 Posts

Question, I might have missed it, do you ONLY have an LI battery if you have RAS?

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery