Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 07:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,190 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by achilleas101
wow.. Porsche telling their flagship car owners that their car can't be driven for 2 years because of what should be an easily replaceable wear item is about as stupid a business decision a company could make.

I’m more pissed that except for the US, the rest of the world is authorized to use the LiPo battery from the Cayenne as a suitable replacement. WTF?! Are the US buyers 2nd class buyers?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-11-2022 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Guzzgreg (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 07:05 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I’m more pissed that except for the US, and Brazil, the rest of the world is authorized to use the LiPo battery from the Cayenne as a suitable replacement. WTF?! Are the US buyers 2nd hand buyers?
you know, that's interesting. in the email the SA read me, there was a line about them being able to replace the part with part no. XXXXXXX (i didn't catch it obviously) except for US, Canada, and i didn't catch the other market. Must have been Brazil. I'm now assuming that the part no. in that email was the Cayenne's battery.

but yeah, why the f would it not work here? is it because of the whole emission system thing, maybe?
Old 05-11-2022, 07:14 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

you know, that's interesting. in the email the SA read me, there was a line about them being able to replace the part with part no. XXXXXXX (i didn't catch it obviously) except for US, Canada, and i didn't catch the other market. Must have been Brazil. I'm now assuming that the part no. in that email was the Cayenne's battery.

but yeah, why the f would it not work here? is it because of the whole emission system thing, maybe?

At the very least, Porsche needs to be honest and transparent with their customers. Much like the issue regarding the activation of the matrix lighting, Porsche keeps the customers in the dark.

I like the car, but a growing dislike for corporate/business decisions will make me re-think if I ever want to buy another Porsche….when the time comes.
Guzzgreg (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 08:15 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Please see post #55 above.

So it seems in most cases the issue is with the harness and the BMS and not the LiFePO4 battery itself. Again, Porsche falls short in the IT area, getting truly annoying after the PCM fiasco IMHO with the the boot times re. HomeLink.

Furthermore, it could be that part of the delay is the war in Ukraine since a lot of harnesses were coming from there. If that is indeed the case, I think that 2024 is overly optimistic and one should be looking at pressuring Porsche to come up with a plan or find a Chinese source for BMS harnesses as if not there may potentially be a lot of low mileage 992s with RAS sitting around like precious bottles of wine on a rack.

This @CodyBigdog this is a major and essential piece of info. If you can't release the name at least name the Department or some sort of credential that provides a bona fide for this info.

TIA

siberian
Old 05-11-2022, 08:26 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by siberian
Please see post #55 above.

So it seems in most cases the issue is with the harness and the BMS and not the LiFePO4 battery itself. Again, Porsche falls short in the IT area, getting truly annoying after the PCM fiasco IMHO with the the boot times re. HomeLink.

Furthermore, it could be that part of the delay is the war in Ukraine since a lot of harnesses were coming from there. If that is indeed the case, I think that 2024 is overly optimistic and one should be looking at pressuring Porsche to come up with a plan or find a Chinese source for BMS harnesses as if not there may potentially be a lot of low mileage 992s with RAS sitting around like precious bottles of wine on a rack.

This @CodyBigdog this is a major and essential piece of info. If you can't release the name at least name the Department or some sort of credential that provides a bona fide for this info.

TIA

siberian
I just checked with my source…and he asked that I not release …at this time. I will honor his request. He did promise to keep me updated when he gets more info. But if people don’t want to believe, I’m fine with that. I have no stake in whether people believe, or not. Maybe other’s can check with their sources/dealership and see what they hear?

But I think it’s pretty clear from the many posts on this topic, that there is an issue with the LiPo battery. That said, there’s little that existing customers can do at this point…other than complain to Porsche. For prospective buyers…all I can say is…you’ve been warned. But believe what you want.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:34 PM
achilleas101
Racer

I just checked with my source…and he asked that I not release …at this time. I will honor his request. He did promise to keep me updated when he gets more info. But if people don’t want to believe, I’m fine with that. I have no stake in whether people believe, or not. Maybe other’s can check with their sources/dealership and see what they hear?

But I think it’s pretty clear from the many posts on this topic, that there is an issue with the LiPo battery. That said, there’s little that existing customers can do at this point…other than complain to Porsche. For prospective buyers…all I can say is…you’ve been warned. But believe what you want.
i don't know about Siberian, but it's not that i don't believe you, i'm more curious to get an idea of how much info this person has access to, and if they'd know updated info as it happens, and thus a reliable source to get updates from. Or even better, someone who could be a voice of the customer to put a bug in Porsche's ear to do something about it.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:25 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Exactly, It's not a matter of doubting just who is saying what.

And of course, we need to have a comment officially from Porsche before this gets into lawyers and a class action lawsuit...as waiting 2 years to drive your car is... And this is where rumors and half truths thrive and why we need someone who either has the info or will point us to where (no, not the dealer as they're probably unaware) to get it.

siberian
Old 05-12-2022, 03:06 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 560 Posts

I have no inside information on anything.... but earlier I saw a post that someone said that his SA said there was a fire at the battery factory supposedly. I looked on Google to try to see if any A123 Systems Factories caught fire and didn't find anything. I suppose the one in the Czech Republic is the one that supplies the EU... and didn't see any news about a fire. That would definately be on Google if accurate. Anyway my point here is that sometimes the SA is clueless and just not being accurate with info.

As an FYI, A123 Systems is the maker for the Batteries in McLaren also. You guys can check if McLaren are having any of the same issues with Inventory. I think some of the high end Mercedes use these A123 Systems Batteries also.

I can say pricing on Batteries and their materials are going up and have been for the last 8 months and some of the electronics are in shorter supply for the BMSs... additionally shipping is super slow right now and manufacturing is behind by a few months at minimum. I know this because we are suffering from slow assembly and parts aquisition also, though we do have most stuff in stock is only because we have been ordering ahead of the ball since covid was in play and screwing up things, but we still are at times back ordered a few weeks on some models. So my point is there is a hard core reality of manufacturers being behind on most every front.

Best of luck to any who have actual issues with a battery, I hope its rare for you guys. But I hope Porsche works it out soon. They have to. I think there will be bigger ramifications if people can't drive their car due to needing a special battery and Porsche can't provide it.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:43 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes there seems to be a lot of (dis)information around. The SA mentioned actually said the fire was in Germany, but from what (little) can be gleamed at this point is that it seems to point more towards the BMS software than the harness and the actual battery itself. The harness, IIRC, come for a large number of vehicles from Ukraine and if that's where the fire is; then it's anyone's guess in terms of supplying new ones.

However as you pointed out whatever the reason or cause is, Porsche better get behind this and issue a statement as if not if more cars are laid up with rumors of 2024 etc. circulating, FUD will soon settle and lawyers will not be far behind. Let's hope someone issues a (TRUE) statement soon because more BS isn't going to help in the medium term.

As any engineering manager knows there are 6 phases to any project, I reckon we're around stage 5 at this point as usually no one seems to care for Stage 4

1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. Search for the guilty
5. Punishment of the innocent <------------------------------------------------ Current phase no doubt
6. Praise and glory for the non participants

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 05-12-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:32 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Seems I missed the rumor. If it is about losing a plant to supply these wiring parts that is not a big deal for service parts. There are several companies in the US and Europe that can make them on short notice. It is just much more expensive. The industry uses them to support recalls and they can rapidly make anything. Think along the lines of a good racing company that can build a new designed race car in less than a year.

Lack of parts is about not caring or choosing to delay parts supply because that is more profitable than paying to expedite their delivery.
Guzzgreg (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:10 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I have no inside information on anything.... but earlier I saw a post that someone said that his SA said there was a fire at the battery factory supposedly. I looked on Google to try to see if any A123 Systems Factories caught fire and didn't find anything. I suppose the one in the Czech Republic is the one that supplies the EU... and didn't see any news about a fire. That would definately be on Google if accurate. Anyway my point here is that sometimes the SA is clueless and just not being accurate with info.

As an FYI, A123 Systems is the maker for the Batteries in McLaren also. You guys can check if McLaren are having any of the same issues with Inventory. I think some of the high end Mercedes use these A123 Systems Batteries also.

I can say pricing on Batteries and their materials are going up and have been for the last 8 months and some of the electronics are in shorter supply for the BMSs... additionally shipping is super slow right now and manufacturing is behind by a few months at minimum. I know this because we are suffering from slow assembly and parts aquisition also, though we do have most stuff in stock is only because we have been ordering ahead of the ball since covid was in play and screwing up things, but we still are at times back ordered a few weeks on some models. So my point is there is a hard core reality of manufacturers being behind on most every front.

Best of luck to any who have actual issues with a battery, I hope its rare for you guys. But I hope Porsche works it out soon. They have to. I think there will be bigger ramifications if people can't drive their car due to needing a special battery and Porsche can't provide it.
that was me that reported the fire info. when i went to pick up my car, i was sitting at the SA's desk and she read the email from Porsche out loud. It's why I heard about the substitute part number for markets outside the US and Canada. Didnt seem like something they'd (the dealer/SA) be making up.

I too googled and couldnt find anything, so i dont know what exactly is going on.

Last edited by achilleas101; 05-12-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:19 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

From a new thread called “2021 Turbo battery”. And so the battery saga continues…

I am in need of a new LION battery for my 2021 911 Turbo Cab with rear wheel steering due to internal Battery sensor damage (according to local Canadian dealership)
The number on the battery is 9YO.915.107.H. I am told they are back ordered up to a year so my car, with only 2800Km on it, sits and patiently waits.
So far the car starts and runs but have the low battery warning on the dash. I’m reluctant to drive it too far for fear of being stranded.
I am hoping for assistance in either locating a new one within the USA or the possibility of a rebuild of the battery management system should that be a possibility.
Any thoughts?”
Old 05-12-2022, 11:21 AM
achilleas101
Racer

From a new thread called “2021 Turbo battery”. And so the battery saga continues…

I am in need of a new LION battery for my 2021 911 Turbo Cab with rear wheel steering due to internal Battery sensor damage (according to local Canadian dealership)
The number on the battery is 9YO.915.107.H. I am told they are back ordered up to a year so my car, with only 2800Km on it, sits and patiently waits.
So far the car starts and runs but have the low battery warning on the dash. I’m reluctant to drive it too far for fear of being stranded.
I am hoping for assistance in either locating a new one within the USA or the possibility of a rebuild of the battery management system should that be a possibility.
Any thoughts?”
sounds like the exact issue i'm having. Where is this thread?
Old 05-12-2022, 11:24 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

sounds like the exact issue i'm having. Where is this thread?

Seriously? Right below this one…🤔
Old 05-12-2022, 11:31 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Seriously? Right below this one…🤔
ha.. didn't go to the main forum page, just been reading from direct links in my alerts

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery