Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium ion battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 06:56 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Has anyone taken apart the Porsche LI battery? Possible the the controller "could" be moved to a new battery..

I wonder if the controller in the battery is what they call an offensive controller? Some controllers brick themselves if anything in the battery changes. (Like a bad cell) even if the battery can still work well enough....

There "may" be options. A LI battery should last at least 10 years if not left discharged or beat on..
Old 03-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Has anyone taken apart the Porsche LI battery? Possible the the controller "could" be moved to a new battery..
Yes, the BMS can be repaired. Check out this post from the Cayenne forum:

Originally Posted by mclaren911
Hello Aman408 and others,

I had a similar issue a month ago and I was able to fix the battery myself and with the help of a shop in Long Island. This was after the dealer could not fix it and offered to put me on the "Battery wait list". A the time there was a wait for the battery and I was not allowed to order that part number. Once I was able to take the top of the battery off I could charge it with a ctek charger ( bypassing the electronic relay lock out feature) . Then send the battery cpu out to be reset. I found a Porsche battery fix on eBay and tracked the username to Tony. He owns Premier Autocare (https://premier-autocare-and-performance.business.site/) in Long Island NY. I overnighted my unit and he was able to send it out the same day he received it. Tony has done a few of these Porsche batteries and he saved me from buying a battery that was out of warranty. The Cayenne has been great ever since. In the future I will be buying an antigravity battery once the bypass module for the linbus is available. I have a friend working on this who has built them for other brands that implemented these batteries over a decade ago. Feel free to ask any questions I will be happy to share what I know.
Bonus picture of the 60 amp LG Chem LFP battery innards:

The following users liked this post:
malba2366 (07-28-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 10:59 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Only snippy at Porsche (not the consumer​​​​​​) for the reasons outlined by Guzzgreg and Siberian. The irony comment directed at Porsche knowingly selling a problematic product. I very much appreciate all of the RL threads on the many lithium battery issues before I ordered my 992 as they were quite helpful. Appreciative to AntiGravity as well as I previously mentioned. Agree with your comment regarding Canadian and Northern European who had no choice and all the early 992 buyers who were not informed of the issues. But the fact remains that we have now known about the Porsche LiPo issues for over a year now and RS in US remains an option. I read my first LiPo thread on here over a year ago…….and we are still reading them. Porsche’s LiPo program not ready for prime time. Hope it gets there eventually as other mfgrs (BMW) are not having these issues with their LiPo batteries.

No. You were quite clearly calling out the owners who “optioned” the LIPO and then spend so much energy looking for a work around. You got called out. Full stop,
Fullyield (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 09:39 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,437 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
No. You were quite clearly calling out the owners who “optioned” the LIPO and then spend so much energy looking for a work around. You got called out. Full stop,
As with most things, there are those who have no choice (Canadian & T buyers) and those who do. Nothing excuses Porsches poor handling of these issues though.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:24 PM
George718
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I picked up my '19 Cayenne yesterday from dealer and paid $3,200 for new lithium battery.
I obviously complained and was told to contact Porsche NA which I did. Now i'm waiting for their decision. I had the yellow battery warning light appear last year and the issue was fixed with a software update. This time they tell me it's the battery......seems it's not communicating properly with ECU. Unfortunately now i'm out of warranty.
I don't see the battery listed anywhere under the emissions warranty so that wont help me either.
Hopefully Porsche NA steps up and does the right thing!
Old 06-17-2023, 12:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Yep the dreaded BMS rears its ugly head again. I wonder though if part of the problem doesn't also lie with the electronics in the ground cable.

GL and keep us posted

siberian
George718 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 03:08 PM
KM20Turbo
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 45 Posts

@Antigravity Any progress on your experiment?
Humbucker427 (06-17-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 03:36 PM
George718
Instructor

Porsche NA just got back to me and denied my request to have them pay for the battery or at the very least help out with the cost. this is nuts!

I had the yellow battery warning light come on last Sep with no symptoms and a software update took care of it....now 9 months later the same battery warning light comes on, again no symptoms but now i'm out of warranty and they tell me I need a $3,200 battery!! There is no way these 2 instances are not related. and to make matters worse Porsche knows the lithium batteries are a disaster.

thats what I get for buying an early production 2019.

Ouch!
Old 07-11-2023, 08:42 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What was the fix they did? Was it TSB# 2229.3?

Yep, when folks ask why I buy Porsche I always share "because I enjoy the pain"

siberian
Old 07-12-2023, 10:18 AM
George718
Instructor

Concern remedied by WMJ9 campaign
They basically reprogrammed the gateway control unit...9 months later same light comes on and code P1D6C00 appears , Lithium battery diagnostic system monitoring defect present..

Old 07-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,004 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by George718
Porsche NA just got back to me and denied my request to have them pay for the battery or at the very least help out with the cost. this is nuts!

I had the yellow battery warning light come on last Sep with no symptoms and a software update took care of it....now 9 months later the same battery warning light comes on, again no symptoms but now i'm out of warranty and they tell me I need a $3,200 battery!! There is no way these 2 instances are not related. and to make matters worse Porsche knows the lithium batteries are a disaster.

thats what I get for buying an early production 2019.

Ouch!
Hey George718,

Antigravity Batteries might have a solution for you if you want to test with us. Its a very simple change if you're a little handy with tools. Its just involves changing out the Ground Strap, then putting our Battery in and seeing how it goes. We have found 2 people that have done this and it seems to be working in their cars, in fact one of them was a Rennlister who posted about buying a used 992 with our battery in it and all was working fine, but we ourselves have not done an official test with someone specifically for this. If you want to test with us we can give you a very large discount on the battery and provide a new ground cable and instructions on what to do, which is very basic for the most part.

We would provide you the ground cable and the battery, we would ask for a fully refundable deposit, and if the testing did not work we would fully refund you and pay for the shipping of the items back. So no cost to you, and no obligation. If it works then you can keep the battery and Ground Cable at a very large discount. Also, so you understand, a battery cannot hurt your Car whatsoever. So there is not really a risk to harm the Car. The only thing you are doing is swapping out the existing ground cable on your car, to another Ground Cable which is also made by Porsche for the 992s. So it all factory parts and then just putting our battery into the car and driving.

The reason for doing this Ground Cable swap is because the Porsche Lithium Battery has it Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) INSIDE the Battery, and that is why you see that little plug that goes to the Porsche Lithium Battery. But when you swap to the new Ground Cable, the plug is located on the Ground Cable itself, so you just plug into that rather than the Porsche Lithium Battery Port.

If interested email scott@antigravitybatteries.com and Chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 07-12-2023, 11:27 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,004 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by KM20Turbo
@Antigravity Any progress on your experiment?
Yes though we haven't worked with an official tester ourselves yet. Found a Rennlister who bought a used 992 and it came with our battery in it and was working fine for him... he didn't even know about the requirements of having a ground strap but apparently the previous owner had done it and we were not aware until we came across on Rennlist. The other person called us and said his was working fine also. But again, we like to have our own testing done so we can confirm the Porsche Part# for the cable is correct and then get some other data from the tester to make sure it is all going as we think it should. But I can say, it theoretically should work every time. It would not be cost effective for Porsche to have an Intelligent Battery Sensors that did not report the exact same way. So the cable mounted IBS should be the same as the IBS that is internal in the Porsche Lithium Battery.

Here is the thread, where the original poster posted about having our battery in their 992.. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1355...-with-ras.html

Last edited by Antigravity; 07-13-2023 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
alin2 (07-12-2023), Icegrill (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 11:37 AM
George718
Instructor

Thanks for your offer but I paid for and had the battery replaced.
I'm hoping if I keep hounding them at Porsche NA they step up and do the right thing.
Antigravity (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 12:26 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George718
Concern remedied by WMJ9 campaign
They basically reprogrammed the gateway control unit...9 months later same light comes on and code P1D6C00 appears , Lithium battery diagnostic system monitoring defect present..
Any way you can find out if Campaign WMJ9 includes or actually is TSB#2229.3 as this TSB applies to both 992 and Cayenne?

This is what WMJ9 refers to:

Porsche TSB Group 9, #30/22, WMJ9

Make: Porsche

Number: Group 9, #30/22, WMJ9

Title:Re-Programming Gateway Control Unit (Battery Sensor)

Date:9/30/2022

Models:
  • 2018-2022 Cayenne
  • 2018-2022 Cayenne S
Summary:Please be advised that the WMJ9 campaign cannot be carried out on vehicles if the battery has previously been replaced. The software version of the battery sensor must be read out before programming. If the software version is 0164 the campaign must not be carried out. In these cases, please submit a PRMS Campaign or Warranty ticket to Mitchell Grasser. The VIN will be removed from the campaign. Due to a software error in the battery sensor, there is a possibility that the ageing status of the 12-volt on-board electrical system battery on the affected vehicles may be calculated incorrectly. As a result, the 12-volt on-board electrical system battery may be replaced prematurely. Re-program the battery sensor using the latest PIWIS Tester software version. Minimum requirement: Version 40.900.020.

Do you have a Cayenne? Doesn't look like 992 is mentioned. Lastly please note PIWIS version must be at least 40.900.020 or newer

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 07-12-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:31 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Yes though we haven't worked with an official tester ourselves yet. Found a Rennlister who bought a used 992 and it came with our battery in it and was working fine for him... he didn't even know about the requirements of having a ground strap appearantly the previous owner had done it and we did even know they had done it so we found out on Rennlist. The other person called us and said his was working fine also. But again, we like to have our own testing done so we can confirm the Porsche Part# for the cable is correct and then get some other data from the tester to make sure it all going as we think it should. But I can say, it theorhetically should work every time. It would not be cost effective for Porsche to has Intelligent Battery Sensors that did not report the exact same way. So the cable mounted IBS should be the same as the IBS that is internal in the Porsche Lithium Battery.

Here is the thread, where the original poster posted about haivng our battery in their 992.. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1355...-with-ras.html
This would be fantastic news to have another source for these LiFePO4 batteries.

BTW, just ordered your XP-15 micro start from Walmart.

Quick Reply: Lithium ion battery