Battery + Central Computer Control Unit Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 04:54 PM
aman408
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery + Central Computer Control Unit Issue

Hi guys

I am having a nightmare with my Cayenne at the moment! The car went in for it's 60k service at Porsche Stevens Creek in San Jose. I had no issues prior with the vehicle, other than an AC issue which I have talked about in another thread. I got it back from service on Saturday but then on Sunday, I go to start up the vehicle and it is totally dead. No lights, no chimes, nothing. Seems the battery was dead. Had to get it jump started to get it running, revved it and drove it for about 45mins, turned it off and completely dead again, straight away.

I eventually, after multiple texts and calls to this dealership, got them to come and jump start and it take it back to the shop to diagnose went wrong. I am 99% certain they have something to do with it but they are refusing to acknowledge any fault saying it's "one of those things" and the battery has to be replaced and is most likely caused to a known issue with the Central Computer Control Unit which has a lithium ion battery which, if it dies, will drain power from the car battery.

Has anyone else come across this issue with control unit x battery issue? I am I wrong in blaming them for this issue? I have taken this car in twice only for issues and both times they have failed on delivering good service.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 05:13 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aman408
Hi guys

I am having a nightmare with my Cayenne at the moment! The car went in for it's 60k service at Porsche Stevens Creek in San Jose. I had no issues prior with the vehicle, other than an AC issue which I have talked about in another thread. I got it back from service on Saturday but then on Sunday, I go to start up the vehicle and it is totally dead. No lights, no chimes, nothing. Seems the battery was dead. Had to get it jump started to get it running, revved it and drove it for about 45mins, turned it off and completely dead again, straight away.

I eventually, after multiple texts and calls to this dealership, got them to come and jump start and it take it back to the shop to diagnose went wrong. I am 99% certain they have something to do with it but they are refusing to acknowledge any fault saying it's "one of those things" and the battery has to be replaced and is most likely caused to a known issue with the Central Computer Control Unit which has a lithium ion battery which, if it dies, will drain power from the car battery.

Has anyone else come across this issue with control unit x battery issue? I am I wrong in blaming them for this issue? I have taken this car in twice only for issues and both times they have failed on delivering good service.

There is a known power gateway software update that is out that they should be applying after all the other updates. This is a known issue. See other postings about this in the 9Y0 forum.. Had it happen to me after a service, they replaced my LiON battery under factory warranty thought, then had to wait 5 weeks and then the new power gateway software update was released, no issues since .
The following 2 users liked this post by cwazyeurodrivr:
aman408 (01-31-2023), chassis (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 05:42 PM
aman408
Track Day

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
There is a known power gateway software update that is out that they should be applying after all the other updates. This is a known issue. See other postings about this in the 9Y0 forum.. Had it happen to me after a service, they replaced my LiON battery under factory warranty thought, then had to wait 5 weeks and then the new power gateway software update was released, no issues since .
Thanks, that helps. I will research more into that issue. Stevens Creek wants to charge $2.5k to replace the battery. Unfortunately, mine is out of warranty so I have been intouch with Don Wise Auto in San Jose who can do it for a fraction of that cost, granted it won't be Porsche branded or whatever.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:59 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Thanks, that helps. I will research more into that issue. Stevens Creek wants to charge $2.5k to replace the battery. Unfortunately, mine is out of warranty so I have been intouch with Don Wise Auto in San Jose who can do it for a fraction of that cost, granted it won't be Porsche branded or whatever.
Good luck with that. I believe the control modules have to be programmed to recognize the new battery and its state of charge, etc. Sorry you are having so many problems. These vehicles are expensive to maintain after warranty. For what it's worth, even if your suv was in warranty, the battery wouldn't have been covered. My sales associate told me that before I drove mine off the lot new. I connect a trickle charger overnight once a week to keep it topped up (especially in the winter).
Old 01-31-2023, 06:02 PM
aman408
Track Day

Originally Posted by kayjh
Good luck with that. I believe the control modules have to be programmed to recognize the new battery and its state of charge, etc. Sorry you are having so many problems. These vehicles are expensive to maintain after warranty. For what it's worth, even if your suv was in warranty, the battery wouldn't have been covered. My sales associate told me that before I drove mine off the lot new. I connect a trickle charger overnight once a week to keep it topped up (especially in the winter).
Thanks - Don Wise have said they have the tools to program it. They don't have the latest tools to look at the fault with the control unit though. What's the best way to monitor the battery level then to know if I need to be trickle charging it every often or do you just do it anyway?
Old 01-31-2023, 06:05 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Thanks - Don Wise have said they have the tools to program it. They don't have the latest tools to look at the fault with the control unit though. What's the best way to monitor the battery level then to know if I need to be trickle charging it every often or do you just do it anyway?
I don't know how to monitor the battery, I just make it a practice to plug it in once or twice a week, especially in the winter. I do a lot of short trips during the week and the battery can't get back up to full charge. IN these circumstances, Porsche recommends trickle charging. If you drive >40km/day, I think the manual says it isn't necessary.
The following users liked this post:
aman408 (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:30 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,356 Posts

What's the best way to monitor the battery level then to know if I need to be trickle charging it every often or do you just do it anyway?
I’ve been thinking about getting a battery tracker since my battery is 4 years old now.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/

Connects to your lithium battery and sends data to your phone via Bluetooth (whenever within range). Provides graphic data for the previous 31 days.
  • Continuously monitors battery voltage when parked and can send alert when voltage drops below user selectable voltage.
  • Monitors voltage drop during starting and provides trend data.
Not a recommendation — I have not evaluated it yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (02-01-2023), Jeff Budge (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:32 PM
aman408
Track Day

Originally Posted by Schnave
I’ve been thinking about getting a battery tracker since my battery is 4 years old now.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/

Connects to your lithium battery and sends data to your phone via Bluetooth (whenever within range). Provides graphic data for the previous 31 days.
  • Continuously monitors battery voltage when parked and can send alert when voltage drops below user selectable voltage.
  • Monitors voltage drop during starting and provides trend data.
Not a recommendation — I have not evaluated it yet.
Nice, if you get it could you feedback here on how it goes?
Old 01-31-2023, 06:43 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Nice, if you get it could you feedback here on how it goes?
Well, you convinced me to take one for the team. I just ordered it; will evaluate and post a review.
Amazon Amazon

Tip:
The Antigravity site wanted $21 to ship a $36, 3 ounce box. UNSAT.
Order on Amazon. Same price and free shipping for Prime members. 👍🏼

Last edited by Schnave; 01-31-2023 at 06:47 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Schnave:
aman408 (01-31-2023), Antigravity (02-07-2023), chassis (02-01-2023), dasams (02-24-2023), Needsdecaf (01-31-2023), Oldboy52 (02-07-2023), Silververtu (02-06-2023), Woofman (01-31-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:57 AM
Jeff Budge
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you convinced me to take one for the team. I just ordered it; will evaluate and post a review.
https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-B.../dp/B07NSVMY4S

Tip:
Thanks Schnave. I have ordered one also and will share my results. I, thankfully, think my 2019 CS is remedied from that last con box software update, but would rather have the ability to track and notify.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:11 PM
Jeff Budge
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Budge
Thanks Schnave. I have ordered one also and will share my results. I, thankfully, think my 2019 CS is remedied from that last con box software update, but would rather have the ability to track and notify.
I installed the Antigravity Batteries Battery Tracker this weekend and found it easy to install and very beneficial in the data and views it provides.

Note that there is not a lot of room to connect the Battery Tracker red spade directly to the positive battery terminal so I ended up connecting it to the same post that the main red wire attaches to as seen in this picture.

The black spade had sufficient space to connect to the battery post.

After installation of the device and the iOS app, I immediately began receiving data via Bluetooth. Here are a few iPhone screen shots of the data I am seeing, which confirms that my voltage is holding steady after the most recent software update.

The dips in voltage are each time I started the vehicle.

There is also a specific screen related to Cranking Voltage.

I have yet to try the Charging Test that is also available via the app, but I find this information useful and to some degree comforting. You can also enable alerts to be sent when you voltage drops below a certain level.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Budge:
Oldboy52 (02-07-2023), Schnave (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 03:02 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Budge
I installed the Antigravity Batteries Battery Tracker this weekend and found it easy to install and very beneficial in the data and views it provides.

Note that there is not a lot of room to connect the Battery Tracker red spade directly to the positive battery terminal so I ended up connecting it to the same post that the main red wire attaches to as seen in this picture.
The black spade had sufficient space to connect to the battery post.
After installation of the device and the iOS app, I immediately began receiving data via Bluetooth. Here are a few iPhone screen shots of the data I am seeing, which confirms that my voltage is holding steady after the most recent software update.
The dips in voltage are each time I started the vehicle.
There is also a specific screen related to Cranking Voltage.
I have yet to try the Charging Test that is also available via the app, but I find this information useful and to some degree comforting. You can also enable alerts to be sent when you voltage drops below a certain level.

Great info Jeff! Mine arrived Thursday but have been too busy to install it. I do, however, have some more info to share, as I’ve been preparing a post. Here’s what I have so far:

The module is nice and compact — key fob shown for scale in photo, below. I almost missed the included Velcro pieces. Look for them between the front and back cardboard package liners. I thought they were anti-theft devices and almost threw them away.

The manual included with my package was different from the one published online. I scanned it and attached the PDF, below:

Owner’s manual from Anti-Gravity site:
https://antigravitybatteries.com/dow...ser-Manual.pdf

I look forward to installing my tracker (with your advice in mind) and getting some data.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Battery Tracker Manual.pdf (1.27 MB, 33 views)

Last edited by Schnave; 02-06-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:45 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 173 Posts

Tip:
Thank you @Schnave !! Ordered one!!!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:08 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,008 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Thank you @Schnave !! Ordered one!!!

Tip:
Well that is absolutely unsatisfactory for sure. ...I'll forward this to our operations Manager, plus tell them I'm a bit pissed that our shipping software would be doing this type of thing. We have alot of accessories we sell and I would not want this type of thing happening for anything. Anyway, sorry about that and thanks for informing us.
The following 4 users liked this post by Antigravity:
aman408 (02-17-2023), Schnave (02-07-2023), Silververtu (02-07-2023), Turrrbo (07-12-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 06:28 AM
aman408
Track Day

I just wanted to provide an update to this issue incase it helps anyone.
- My 2019 9y0 was above 50k so was out of warranty.
- Dealer told me $2,500 for the battery and ~$400 for installation, programming etc.
- They told me they would need to run further diagnostics to figure out if there was an issue why the original battery depleated.
- Then told me it was alternator malfunction and alternator needs replacing. ~$1,400 for parts and installation.
- Then called me with some good news... the alternator is covered under an emissions warrantyand because it is what caused the battery to die on me, the battery is covered too. So Stevens Creek Porsche in San Jose really saved me there!

The battery took them less than a week to get in suggesting the shortage, that was noted recently about these lithium batteries, is easing up.

PS. I called @Antigravity to talk about this and they were really helpful and talked through my battery issue - even though they had no resolution for me as of right now, they were patient and helped me understand things a lot better. Thanks guys.
The following 5 users liked this post by aman408:
Antigravity (02-20-2023), bobblehead (02-17-2023), Needsdecaf (02-17-2023), Schnave (02-17-2023), Turrrbo (07-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Battery + Central Computer Control Unit Issue