Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022 | 10:41 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adm63
Nice review from a more well known channel. I want to hear / see Randy Probst drive it on track!
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
rokkerkory (11-25-2022), tourenwagen (11-28-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 11:05 AM
rokkerkory
Racer

just saw this too! Love this channel

nice impressions

really liking all the “reviews” so far. The T is shaping up to be perfect for someone like me.

value and fun for the price factor 😬

Last edited by rokkerkory; 11-25-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2022 | 11:26 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddysum
If they would have either included it and charged more or excluded and not made it an option most of us would not question it as the decision was made by Porsche as what their true definition of a Purist 911 should be.
I agree, and that's my conundrum. Reviewers drive a car with RAS and say it's great. Reviewers drive a car without RAS and say it's great. I've only seen a couple speak to RAS specifically, and even then it is just a comment like RAS makes it a great daily, and a couple comments of RAS is nice but probably not necessary. I want to hear somebody compare w and w/out RAS and speak to the pros and cons of RAS specifically. I do not care how many seconds RAS reduces a lap time, same as I don't care how much faster PDK is. Does RAS make it more fun, communicative, more 'pure' (whatever that means in a modern computer laden car) - a better driver's car? I am leaning toward RAS but a good comparative review that didn't show meaningful improvement in fun factor with RAS would probably sway me otherwise.

As I've said before my 991 T did not have RAS and I thought it handled amazingly well. One of my favorite characteristics was how it would power out of a tight, low speed, 2nd gear turn by squatting on the rear tires and do the 911 rear end wiggle as it fights for grip. I would not want computer controlled RAS to take that away or smooth out too much of the imperfect character of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by 6sigma:
HerrDr (11-27-2022), reddysum (11-25-2022), tourenwagen (11-28-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 11:27 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I just asked in the comments, and Jack replied right away: I wanted to know if the exhaust is enough or if it needs help from the aftermarket. He feels it's enough. I hope so!
rokkerkory (11-25-2022), tourenwagen (11-28-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 11:41 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

SG does some of the best reviews. Pretty honest assessment: basically all the variants are good and are starting to blend into one another because they are all so similar. They like the Carrera T primarily due to the price.

They also recommend RAS.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
adm63 (11-25-2022), reddysum (11-25-2022), Scott P (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:13 PM
reddysum
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I agree, and that's my conundrum. Reviewers drive a car with RAS and say it's great. Reviewers drive a car without RAS and say it's great. I've only seen a couple speak to RAS specifically, and even then it is just a comment like RAS makes it a great daily, and a couple comments of RAS is nice but probably not necessary. I want to hear somebody compare w and w/out RAS and speak to the pros and cons of RAS specifically. I do not care how many seconds RAS reduces a lap time, same as I don't care how much faster PDK is. Does RAS make it more fun, communicative, more 'pure' (whatever that means in a modern computer laden car) - a better driver's car? I am leaning toward RAS but a good comparative review that didn't show meaningful improvement in fun factor with RAS would probably sway me otherwise.

As I've said before my 991 T did not have RAS and I thought it handled amazingly well. One of my favorite characteristics was how it would power out of a tight, low speed, 2nd gear turn by squatting on the rear tires and do the 911 rear end wiggle as it fights for grip. I would not want computer controlled RAS to take that away or smooth out too much of the imperfect character of the car.
This post sums up my feelings about RAS. Sometimes I wonder if these reviewers/journalists are just too busy to peruse these enthusiast sites to answer these questions, lazy, or under pressure from the manufacturers to not give some sort of conclusive opinion especially when it comes to telling someone why not to select a specific option.

Likely a combination of all of the above.

Like you I am leaning toward selecting it as an option.
The following users liked this post:
rokkerkory (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:19 PM
rokkerkory
Racer

Going RAS for sure here 🫡
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:31 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I wasn't originally going to get RAS, but since one of my concerns about a 992 is its size, people suggested that RAS will help it feel and drive like a smaller car, which makes total sense. I have a CGTS and absolutely LOVE the way it drives. I am not even sure why I'm getting the 911T aside from the fact that the 911 still beckons. And my 996 definitely did not satisfy my itch. So when the opportunity presented itself to get the first allocation at my dealership, I took it. Will I keep two modern Porsches? I dunno. But it's fortunate and grateful to have such a "problem" to worry about. Happy Thanksgiving, I guess!
balucipher (11-25-2022), rokkerkory (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:36 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I wasn't originally going to get RAS, but since one of my concerns about a 992 is its size, people suggested that RAS will help it feel and drive like a smaller car, which makes total sense. I have a CGTS and absolutely LOVE the way it drives. I am not even sure why I'm getting the 911T aside from the fact that the 911 still beckons. And my 996 definitely did not satisfy my itch. So when the opportunity presented itself to get the first allocation at my dealership, I took it. Will I keep two modern Porsches? I dunno. But it's fortunate and grateful to have such a "problem" to worry about. Happy Thanksgiving, I guess!

You do know that the Cayman GTS has about almost an inch longer wheelbase than the 911T. The 911 is longer and wider but has a shorter wheelbase. Wheelbase being the most relevant to the feel of the handling, of course.
rokkerkory (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:44 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
You do know that the Cayman GTS has about almost an inch longer wheelbase than the 911T. The 911 is longer and wider but has a shorter wheelbase. Wheelbase being the most relevant to the feel of the handling, of course.
Yes, I do. I saw that when I compared specs. I suspect the differences will be in where the weight is and how that affects handling, and the overall actual size of the car (ie, how big it feels inside and when driving it, not just pure corning ability). To me, the CGTS is perfect. I hated the way my 996 handled, especially how light and floaty the front end was. I do see and have seen very up close, the advantage the 911 has on the track. The way that thing puts power down and exits a turn is both amazing and sad to watch... WHEN I WAS BEHIND IT TRYING TO KEEP UP IN MY GT350! lol. So I'm excited to compare the two Pcars long term. Maybe I'll love them both, just differently.

Oh, and then there's the looks. To me, the Cayman never really looked anywhere as good as the 911, with those sexy curves and shapely rear end!
HerrDr (11-27-2022), rokkerkory (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:46 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I do. I saw that when I compared specs. I suspect the differences will be in where the weight is and how that affects handling, and the overall actual size of the car (ie, how big it feels inside and when driving it, not just pure corning ability). To me, the CGTS is perfect. I hated the way my 996 handled, especially how light and floaty the front end was. I do see and have seen very up close, the advantage the 911 has on the track. The way that thing puts power down and exits a turn is both amazing and sad to watch... WHEN I WAS BEHIND IT TRYING TO KEEP UP IN MY GT350! lol. So I'm excited to compare the two Pcars long term. Maybe I'll love them both, just differently.

Oh, and then there's the looks. To me, the Cayman never really looked anywhere as good as the 911, with those sexy curves and shapely rear end!

I see what you mean. Makes sense. Agree on the looks of the 911. I've been in love with it since I was 10 years old (50 now). It is after all the Icon (Ikone).
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
AdamIsAdam (11-25-2022), rokkerkory (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:57 PM
balucipher
Pro

Cayman vs. 911 is so interesting on track. My Cayman will hold so much more speed going into the turn, but the 911 can stand on the throttle mid corner and just launch out with some ridiculous amount of grip. It's fun to play cat and mouse with the two.
The following 2 users liked this post by balucipher:
AdamIsAdam (11-25-2022), rokkerkory (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 12:58 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

The 718 and 911 dimensions are deceptively similar, I’d always assumed the Cayman was far smaller but my GT4 took up more space than the 997 C4S it replaced😊
rokkerkory (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 01:05 PM
Gibberish
Advanced

Originally Posted by JOSCAL
Here’s mine

http://www.porschecode.com/PPB87JS3

Don’t laugh😉 I want PDK for the dreadful traffic where I am and sunroof for early morning drives. RAS added after yesterdays reviews.

If I was buying for the next person it would be buckets and carbon roof most definitely but this one’s a keeper.
I know for you the cars a keeper but, I'm UK based too and was told by the used sales manager and a sales director that for resale rear seats are a must, a non GT 911 without a sunroof is immediately worth £2k less and nobody wants a 992 Manual in the UK as many owners are of a certain age where they don't want to change gears.
He went on to tell me that they would struggle to sell a manual 992..
I'm still in two minds on Manual vs PDK, all my Porsche's bar the 981 Spyder have been PDK and it's a terrific box.

I know all the guys stateside will think I'm bordering insane for wanting a sunroof & toying with PDK but we have a different Market in the UK.. if it's 10°c outside and (not) raining, we have our sunroofs open and our roofs down because our weather is so crap we have to take advantage of whatever ok weather we get
it's late November and i saw an MX5 (Miata) this morning (5°c) with the roof down.. guy wearing a hat and coat inside

Last edited by Gibberish; 11-25-2022 at 01:07 PM.
HerrDr (11-27-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 01:08 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

The 718 and 911 dimensions are deceptively similar, I’d always assumed the Cayman was far smaller but my GT4 took up more space than the 997 C4S it replaced😊

911 all the way for me, always loved them too.
Gibberish (11-25-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club