Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 10:55 AM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

Long time member but rarely post. This "T" thread has me hooked. (next paragraph is long winded so skip if you would like)

Some Background, so currently have an 1987 911 Carerra with 29000 miles that I bought about 10 years ago to "drive" but right after buying the market for these cars took off. Therefore I don't drive it as much as would like to. I regretted not purchasing a new T in 2018 or 2019. Then saw an article published about 10 months ago talking about putting the 4.0 liter from the Cayman/Boxster in the 911. Immediately put down a deposit at the local dealer. A few months later, write ups came out saying that was not happening. At that time, the dealership had a used base 992 Carrera on the lot that I was able to drive, which I felt was not quite engaging enough. So changed my deposit over for a manual GTS at what I presumed was msrp. When Porsche announced the 992 T, I immediately changed my deposit over to a T. When speaking to my SA he started mentioning adm etc. which was a real turn off even though I was willing to do European delivery. At that time, I started calling dealerships within a few hundred mile from where I live. I told them I was willing to European Delivery at MSRP. A few weeks later and I got a text from one of the SA at a dealership that I thought would be the least likely to bite saying they got an allocation. After some back and forth they agreed to MSRP with European Delivery! So now have V200 with track your dream with a build date of February 24th.

So now European delivery seems to be very backed up. My SA is saying earliest pick up date is July for Zuff and June for Leipzig. I told him that I really want to pick it up sooner if possible so we will see.

My biggest decision regarding spec is RWS. I am torn. I don't want to give up the traditional 911 feel but also don't want to regret not speccing it. I don't think any of the current reviewers drove cars back to back with and with out the option. As far as I can tell only the Gulf blue car did not have RWS. I even tweeted a few of the guys regarding this agonizing first world problem before the embargo. One of the editors, Stuart Gallagher, from Evo Magazine actually tweeted me back and said I'll let you know when the embargo lifts. His article seems like it was directly written for me regarding my question. https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-t

But he also reviewed a Carrera 2 GTS on 10/28/22 and made a comment he didn't think four wheel steering is worth it. https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/carrera-gts

So now I am confused even more, since the GTS he reviewed did not have RAS.
The following users liked this post:
greggles991 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 10:59 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,066 Likes on 1,761 Posts

The exhaust seems a little too quiet, no? Thoughts on they first stage exhaust mod? It's there a "must do" first mod like there is with the 718 4.0 cars of removing the OAP pipes?
Old 11-24-2022, 11:29 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

I’m definitely sold now I think. I won’t be going for buckets if available they’re not for me and have to go PDK after an injury. At least I’ll avoid the long gearing argument!

Think it’s going to be a great car and a bit more civilised is ok with me, the OH thinks the current one is a rattly, noisy mid life crisis car anyway😂

Think it’s the stickers🤔
Gibberish (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:32 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

I have driven Ts back-to-back with and without RAS. Get the RAS. You can still hang the *** lout on these cars. Much easier to do with a more aggressive alignment. It is progressive and rarely will you feel any "snap" back into place while cornering. In fact, unless you drive the exact same line over the exact same patch of ground at different speeds, it is hard to tell if it is the car or road camber/imperfections that are causing the change. In the bigger/heavier 992, you will appreciate RAS all the more for how it makes the car feel smaller and also more stable when you are getting after it.

I really hope they allow y'all to get the FBs. They also change the character of the car a lot and are a differentiator for the T. I have several road trips and long days in them and love them. My wife may actually love them more than I do, as they keep her planted when I am acting a fool. AS stated above, it is a personal preference, but if you are getting a performance build then there is no reason not to opt for them. If you need the back seats for hard bags, or kiddos, totally different thing...

One question for y'all: Did they put PADM in the 992 or go with static mounts like the 991? I haven't found the answer, and it actually took us a bit of time to track down for the 991, based on Porsche/Dealers/SAs providing wrong info and needing to delve into the parts listing... That will mos def change the character of the way the car drives and I am hopeful they went with static for this gen as well. Not only does it make the car more sporty, you also don't have to worry about PADM failures if they haven't fixed the system. That became a hassle with a previous car of mine.

Good luck and really liking this roll out of info from LA.

SS
balucipher (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 12:05 PM
shehatezme
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

These cookie cutter articles have me convinced to order an S instead. Motortrend article alluded to that this car is a bit more watered down than the 991T. Maybe there is no “secret” sauce this time around. Only thing you can’t spec on the S is the special interior trim, buckets / rear seat delete. I need rear seats and you get more of everything else (power and brakes) for only $12k delta.

I will wait for more reviews to come out.

Last edited by shehatezme; 11-24-2022 at 01:11 PM.
FullThrottle64 (12-01-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 12:46 PM
Sushi Stu
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Off topic about all the reviews kind of. But seeing all the buckets on those vids is just making me drool. I really want them AND I'm willing to wait longer to get them. BUT could I live without back seats....

I guess this is an open question, but from a resale point of view, is the hardcore option of buckets and no rears on a T a good thing or a bad thing.....?

I mean, the plain black interior with those in just looks like perfection to me.... A baby GT3 Touring.
(pic from a GTS but will look the same on a T when the config allows)

Old 11-24-2022, 01:04 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

My S vs. T logic in cancelling the S order and changing to the T is driven by the desire to have a manual, purist P car (my first) more hp be damned. Price is a factor as well and for someone who hasn't driven a 911 in over 2 decades, I'm certain the T will sufficiently manage to increase my grins.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:10 PM
greggles991
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sushi Stu
Off topic about all the reviews kind of. But seeing all the buckets on those vids is just making me drool. I really want them AND I'm willing to wait longer to get them. BUT could I live without back seats....

I guess this is an open question, but from a resale point of view, is the hardcore option of buckets and no rears on a T a good thing or a bad thing.....?

I mean, the plain black interior with those in just looks like perfection to me.... A baby GT3 Touring.

I'm definitely sold on the buckets. The T will be a keeper for me so I'm not worried about resale but I think in the UK they are quite sought after. I would say here if you go with the standard T interior it's probably a better idea for resale to add the rear seats back in but the buckets attract plenty of people. I'm definitely going to go Racetex wheel and roof.. Can't decide on whether to have Racetex on the armrest too.. it might be Porsche logo overkill and I'm a little worried how it will wear.. especially as I'll be stuffing things over it into the back I guess! The review car with buckets seemed to have Racetex wheel and roof lining but leather armrest which is what I think I will go with.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:14 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sushi Stu

I think the buckets will help resale. People have suggested that you or a future owner could always sell the buckets for a hefty sum (ie, ~$10k) and buy/swap sport seats. Much easier than the reverse for prospective buyer. Rear seats? Yea, right. LOL. Unless you have young kids/grand kids, then I'd understand.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:15 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

The buckets are stunning but definitely impractical if you plan to use the back at all (you can’t!) I’d love them again on a looks/coolness factor but just couldn’t get on with them in the GT4 I had briefly. I’m tall though so not being able to recline made them uncomfortable.

People here will tell you the T has to have buckets and be manual but how that reflects in the wider market is anyone’s guess😂
Old 11-24-2022, 01:22 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I will say that not being able to put larger items in the back is annoying. I'd like to be able to at least put duffle bags and maybe folding bag-chairs back there. If one were to bring one seat all the way forward and one all the way back, can you pass stuff between the seats or something like that? Oh well, it's not like I'm taking 6 people on vacation in this car, but still, there's a lot of space back there that would be nice to access to some extent.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:33 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

You could get really good at loosening the passenger seat track bolts if you really wanted
AdamIsAdam (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 01:37 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 153 Posts

I’ve never used the space behind my buckets sans for small items (like my camera). I find the frunk to be more than sufficient. That said, my T is a B road sportscar and we don’t travel in it more than just a weekend trip.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:38 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Based on the pics it looks like I could pass through stuff between the seats up high along the ceiling. Like chairs if going to a car show or DE day.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:45 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

It’s nice to be able to bring cooler, tools, chairs etc to the track. I usually use all the space in my C2S both frunk and behind the seats

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club