Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021 | 11:54 AM
NYCGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by PTS
Proper market research is both fundamental and technical. They both have their place. I find technical analysis better suited for downside protection in shorter investment durations and fundamental better suited to long term portfolio management. If you're not using some degree of both, you can do better
Agreed 100%.
Old 09-20-2021 | 12:34 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
I find it unbelievable, you continue to insult and dismiss technical analysis. A baboon made money over the long haul in this incredible bull market. Simply from time in the market not timing the market. You sir, are confusing day trading with properly used technical analysis. The whole idea behind properly used technical work is to manage risk. Having a sell discipline. With that said, where are these big losses coming from if you have the discipline to limit your loss to 7-8%? If someone truly embraces the Investors Business Daily process, you will allocate your funds into the issues acting the best, and sell stocks that are acting poorly before it gets worse.When push comes to shove, I would rather take a small loss, and reallocate the funds than sitting on an issue that is down 30% or worse! Remember, a stock goes down 7-8% before it’s down 30%+. It’s truly that simple. They simply use price trends to identify it. Last week, the S&P broke its 50 day moving average for the first time in a long time. A bearish technical indicator signaling the bullish trend may be changing, and it would be good to raise cash,limiting your exposure and risk. This seems to be playing out this morning. Remember, you can always buy back,you can’t sell it twice. Im not anxious to give profit back. Sure, if you have a 10 year time horizon , and big tax liability, maybe hang around. 7 weeks ago, my most talented technical trader, who was already having a 50 %+ year, took 2/3 of his account and bought UPST at $166. The stock was gapping up $20 on the open, after a blowout earnings report. It was a major technical breakout. Last week, he sold half the position at $295,because of the general market weakness. I’m certain he will sell the other half this morning on the open regardless of price. Technical analysis, used properly, alerts you to accumulation, and most importantly, manages your risk, getting you out BEFORE the trend changes if used PROPERLY.. I suggest reading Investors Business Daily. It’s a fantastic resource. Fundamental research certainly has its place, but how many negative research reports have you read? 90% of all fundamental research is positive, usually written by a company’s Investment Banker. Let’s remember GE, where all the fundamental research was positive until AFTER it collapsed. No one is smarter than the stock itself. How many times have we seen people buy a stock on fundamentals at $40, watch it go to $50, then $45,$40, $35, $30 etc.? If you use technicals for a sell discipline maybe that stock would’ve been sold when it broke its 20 or 50 day moving average at $43 or something. How many people have 10 well performing issues, but 3 that are down 30%+ that take away from the portfolios overall performance?You’re missing the point. The most important part of technical analysis is NOT losing and having a sell discipline. IBD has a top 50 list. It points out issues acting best with accompanying good fundamentals. Fabulous. I am finished beating this “ dead horse”. I thought I was previously. I had to respond. Sorry……

Do you have an affiliation with IBD?

The simple fact is - for 99.9% of the population - trading is worse than investing. If you're not a full time / professional trader within (or own) a proprietary trading firm . . . . .you will likely underperform. Don't forget all the time wasted trying to read charts / find trends / researching etc,.....you could be using that time for your profession, and generate some real upside.

The following 3 users liked this post by -eztrader-:
maroli (09-21-2021), PTS (09-20-2021), subshooter (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 12:45 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by -eztrader-

The simple fact is - for 99.9% of the population - trading is worse than investing. If you're not a full time / professional trader within (or own) a proprietary trading firm . . . . .you will likely underperform. Don't forget all the time wasted trying to read charts / find trends / researching etc,.....you could be using that time for your profession, and generate some real upside.
it is my business for 30 years. In that time, I’ve found IBD, by far, the most useful tool I’ve ever used. It’s made me a better trader and investor, by giving me better discipline and new ideas. They, in fact, save time by screening, and all the other time wasting activities you’ve mentioned. I work with all types of clients with different objectives and disciplines. I’m simply trying to point out that technical analysis is not the money losing, time wasting process the OP continues to claim it is. For the right people, it can be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by NYCGT3; 09-20-2021 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PTS (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 01:10 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader-

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
it is my business for 30 years. In that time, I’ve found IBD, by far, the most useful tool I’ve ever used. They, in fact, save time by screening, and all the other time wasting activities you’ve mentioned. I work with all types of clients with different objectives and disciplines. I’m simply trying to point out that technical analysis is not the money losing, time wasting process the OP continues to claim it is. For the right people, it can be extremely helpful. Thank you.
Both of you are correct. Important to note the discussion in here is between financial professionals with decades of experience. Not little Joey the high school kid who opened a RobinHood account in his mom's basement and is YOLO'ing options on meme stocks after learning what a candle stick pattern is the week before.

Experience is huge with any type of research, especially technicals. I also feel technicals are mis-judged or mis-diagnosed as simply looking for short term upside based off of a few charts. Technicals are better and more properly used as downside protection in certain trades. I am in year 11 at my wealth management firm and use both types of analysis in my business.
NYCGT3 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 03:42 PM
LexVan
Banned

Looks like a good day to buy.
subshooter (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 03:47 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
stocks?
Old 09-20-2021 | 04:49 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
I agree. (stocks).
Old 09-20-2021 | 10:56 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

I'm young and don't fully understand investing like a seasoned Bond Villain. But I dollar cost average, tax loss harvest, and try not to panic when my portfolio fluctuates $100K in a month lol.

Also I'm single, rent a studio apartment, and drive a GT3RS. It's called priorities guys.
IrwinMFletcher (10-02-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 11:02 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I have really nice cars and mountain bikes, but I offset by buying socks from costco.
Jsnkim (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 11:03 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

I only own junk but offset it by buying Bitcoin and AMC
Old 09-20-2021 | 11:04 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I'm young and don't fully understand investing like a seasoned Bond Villain. But I dollar cost average, tax loss harvest, and try not to panic when my portfolio fluctuates $100K in a month lol.

Also I'm single, rent a studio apartment, and drive a GT3RS. It's called priorities guys.

What color is your RS? Miami?
Old 09-20-2021 | 11:06 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ascend
What color is your RS? Miami?
I call it Cocaine Enthusiast Blue.
The following 3 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
-eztrader- (09-21-2021), IrwinMFletcher (10-02-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-31-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 11:19 PM
Jsnkim

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I have really nice cars and mountain bikes, but I offset by buying socks from costco.
agreed 100%
NYCGT3 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021 | 12:06 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I call it Cocaine Enthusiast Blue.
i remember you. You used to have a skull avatar right? I was looking at 991.2 gt3 same period like 3 years ago. Let go of my allocation and got 997.2 rs.
Old 09-21-2021 | 12:10 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ascend
i remember you. You used to have a skull avatar right? I was looking at 991.2 gt3 same period like 3 years ago. Let go of my allocation and got 997.2 rs.
Yeah. I had a chalk 991.2 GT3 at that time. Sold it and went with the RS after a year.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM