Not even close, just beginning!

(Bitcoin not GameStop)
The following users liked this post:
rhk118 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021 | 05:00 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Yes back to ADMs.and my turn to beat the dead horse.

My take: High end car prices are not coming back down. If ADM goes away is because Porsche monetizes the demand and jacks up the MSRP. GT3 is a $200k car plus options, whether a chunk goes to the dealer or not.

Too much money in the system for prices to go down. Pay no mind to CPI, real world inflation is through the roof. A gallon of milk may be 5% higher, but the contractor redoing your deck is charging 3x the price of two years ago, cash payment off the books highly preferred, and he can't wait to get his hands on a nice car himself. And of course many people who own assets are sitting on 50% to 100% gains from 2 years ago.

And mind you I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, overall.
I agree.
Old 09-18-2021 | 07:17 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Whoops wrong thread

Last edited by JohnnyF1ve; 09-18-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2021 | 09:32 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ascend
I thought tapering has started hence less money.
Hasn't started yet and even so it'll be small and slow. The system will stay flush with cash for a long time.
Old 09-18-2021 | 10:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Not even close, just beginning!

(Bitcoin not GameStop)
Bitconnnnnecccttttttt!!!!
Old 09-19-2021 | 12:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Yes back to ADMs.and my turn to beat the dead horse.

My take: High end car prices are not coming back down. If ADM goes away is because Porsche monetizes the demand and jacks up the MSRP. GT3 is a $200k car plus options, whether a chunk goes to the dealer or not.

Too much money in the system for prices to go down. Pay no mind to CPI, real world inflation is through the roof. A gallon of milk may be 5% higher, but the contractor redoing your deck is charging 3x the price of two years ago, cash payment off the books highly preferred, and he can't wait to get his hands on a nice car himself. And of course many people who own assets are sitting on 50% to 100% gains from 2 years ago.

And mind you I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, overall.
Just like I tell my real estate clients, prices aren't going down. Worst case their be flat, base case prices continue to grind higher because there's no demand than supply.
Old 09-19-2021 | 10:39 AM
Jsnkim

Porsche Gold Coaast in Jericho in NY $40K
Old 09-19-2021 | 01:39 PM
Advanced

Default No ADM and first time new car buyer.

Originally Posted by subshooter
I am beginning to think I am blessed that I even got an allocation.....let alone one for MSRP.

....but I'm a Porsche fanatic and will drive the car as much as I can. I'm not a flipper or a museum curator.
I have always bought used. However, in March of this year, I stopped in and got an allocation with no ADM. Received car in August, and now realize how lucky I was.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021 | 03:26 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Technical fans are not up to fundamental research or too lazy and they all eventually lose money.

As noted - take a chart book from five years ago and test your system and you will find your results are random walk. The shorter term your horizon the more random the results.

looking at past data that is the distillation of an endless number of unforeseeable events - deaths, price changes for commodities, interest rates, mergers - financial results and on and on is just to any rational person pointless.

I was a NASDAQ market maker for 25 years and we did not use charts - we looked for a way to find a spread that was to our advantage.

As noted - I have been in the business for 45 years and I operated my own brokerage firm for decades and now a RIA advisory firm for the pas20 plus years and I have never met someone who got rich day trading using charting - but I know many that lost fortunes. Also an MBA with a focus on equity investing.

Typically chartists are having fun when the market is strong and generally most stocks are rising so they sell this one for that one and that one rises and they say it was because of their charting prowess - until the market goes into a protracted period and then they lose a bunch of money and panic and sell and so on.

good luck - you will need it- some chartists can get lucky- but in 45 years I have not met one yet.

You will find that most of these Porsche’s are bought by guys that had equity shares or stock options for a company and over the years this company prospered and their shares appreciated. The guys with an interest in companies that failed are not buying a porsche.

No point in arguing- I wish you the best of luck and get Back to discussing Porsche’s and allocations and so on. Something that is actually fun.

The following 4 users liked this post by Targa32:
-eztrader- (09-20-2021), Gh0st0 (09-19-2021), NiteJav (09-20-2021), WCGhost (09-29-2021)
Old 09-19-2021 | 05:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Targa32
Technical fans are not up to fundamental research or too lazy and they all eventually lose money.

As noted - take a chart book from five years ago and test your system and you will find your results are random walk. The shorter term your horizon the more random the results.

looking at past data that is the distillation of an endless number of unforeseeable events - deaths, price changes for commodities, interest rates, mergers - financial results and on and on is just to any rational person pointless.

I was a NASDAQ market maker for 25 years and we did not use charts - we looked for a way to find a spread that was to our advantage.

As noted - I have been in the business for 45 years and I operated my own brokerage firm for decades and now a RIA advisory firm for the pas20 plus years and I have never met someone who got rich day trading using charting - but I know many that lost fortunes. Also an MBA with a focus on equity investing.

Typically chartists are having fun when the market is strong and generally most stocks are rising so they sell this one for that one and that one rises and they say it was because of their charting prowess - until the market goes into a protracted period and then they lose a bunch of money and panic and sell and so on.

good luck - you will need it- some chartists can get lucky- but in 45 years I have not met one yet.

You will find that most of these Porsche’s are bought by guys that had equity shares or stock options for a company and over the years this company prospered and their shares appreciated. The guys with an interest in companies that failed are not buying a porsche.

No point in arguing- I wish you the best of luck and get Back to discussing Porsche’s and allocations and so on. Something that is actually fun.

This is valuable thank you. It never made intuitive sense to me that this technical approach could work in the long term, and you've explained why better than anyone could. Maybe you're confirming my bias but you sound pretty credible.
Old 09-20-2021 | 12:13 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Hangseng down 4 percent
S&P future down 0.8 percent

Will this stop gt3 craze?
Old 09-20-2021 | 12:58 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ascend
Hangseng down 4 percent
S&P future down 0.8 percent

Will this stop gt3 craze?
tech stocks are only up 200% since their 2019 lows. I don’t think I can handle a 0.8% pullback….
Old 09-20-2021 | 04:55 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

even with massive pullbacks, people underestimate how much cash people have made and banked during this bull run
The following 3 users liked this post by Norcalgt3:
AlexCeres (09-20-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-31-2021), WCGhost (09-29-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 09:18 AM
NYCGT3
Pro

I find it unbelievable, you continue to insult and dismiss technical analysis. A baboon made money over the long haul in this incredible bull market. Simply from time in the market not timing the market. You sir, are confusing day trading with properly used technical analysis. The whole idea behind properly used technical work is to manage risk. Having a sell discipline. With that said, where are these big losses coming from if you have the discipline to limit your loss to 7-8%? If someone truly embraces the Investors Business Daily process, you will allocate your funds into the issues acting the best, and sell stocks that are acting poorly before it gets worse.When push comes to shove, I would rather take a small loss, and reallocate the funds than sitting on an issue that is down 30% or worse! Remember, a stock goes down 7-8% before it’s down 30%+. It’s truly that simple. They simply use price trends to identify it. Last week, the S&P broke its 50 day moving average for the first time in a long time. A bearish technical indicator signaling the bullish trend may be changing, and it would be good to raise cash,limiting your exposure and risk. This seems to be playing out this morning. Remember, you can always buy back,you can’t sell it twice. Im not anxious to give profit back. Sure, if you have a 10 year time horizon , and big tax liability, maybe hang around. 7 weeks ago, my most talented technical trader, who was already having a 50 %+ year, took 2/3 of his account and bought UPST at $166. The stock was gapping up $20 on the open, after a blowout earnings report. It was a major technical breakout. Last week, he sold half the position at $295,because of the general market weakness. I’m certain he will sell the other half this morning on the open regardless of price. Technical analysis, used properly, alerts you to accumulation, and most importantly, manages your risk, getting you out BEFORE the trend changes if used PROPERLY.. I suggest reading Investors Business Daily. It’s a fantastic resource. Fundamental research certainly has its place, but how many negative research reports have you read? 90% of all fundamental research is positive, usually written by a company’s Investment Banker. Let’s remember GE, where all the fundamental research was positive until AFTER it collapsed. No one is smarter than the stock itself. How many times have we seen people buy a stock on fundamentals at $40, watch it go to $50, then $45,$40, $35, $30 etc.? If you use technicals for a sell discipline maybe that stock would’ve been sold when it broke its 20 or 50 day moving average at $43 or something. How many people have 10 well performing issues, but 3 that are down 30%+ that take away from the portfolios overall performance?You’re missing the point. The most important part of technical analysis is NOT losing and having a sell discipline. IBD has a top 50 list. It points out issues acting best with accompanying good fundamentals. Fabulous. I am finished beating this “ dead horse”. I thought I was previously. I had to respond. Sorry……

Last edited by NYCGT3; 09-20-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-20-2021 | 11:28 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Proper market research is both fundamental and technical. They both have their place. I find technical analysis better suited for downside protection in shorter investment durations and fundamental better suited to long term portfolio management. If you're not using some degree of both, you can do better
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS:
Gh0st0 (09-20-2021), NYCGT3 (09-20-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-31-2021), WCGhost (09-29-2021)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM