Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 02:47 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

What if people were charged per word spoken or typed...kinda like the old cell phone plans. And every time you lied, exaggerated, embellished or distorted what you say, the price per word goes up 100X. Then your options would be to 1. STFU or 2. go broke from going over your minutes, then you can't afford the ADM.

Old 01-14-2023, 04:51 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 163 Posts

It's not even a discussion about ADM anymore. it's just who can lob the most insult at some anonymous person on a forum. The same energy/vitriol is probably hard to do in person. It's like high school except worse with rich adults (no commoner buys cars over 200k anyways right) arguing over absolutely nothing.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:25 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Why do I return to this thread?
Of course, price matters to me and affects the affordability of the car. However, what brings me back to the thread, despite the noise, is that I think the accessibility of these cars matters for what the car is, what it becomes, how it is used, and what community it brings to the brand.

I was a Porsche owner back when the first GT3 was released in Europe and I've been reading the forums about these cars since the release of the 996.2 GT3. These cars being relatively accessible for the first few generations got a lot of people into community and out on track. These people were stripping out the interiors of brand new cars in 2004, just for DE. Is that stupid? yes! Is that fun? hell yes! Everyone assumed the price of the car wouldn't hold, so they instead enjoyed the car. It was a better vibe on rennlist 18 years ago. Not saying it's not fun now, some of that spirit is still here, but it's harder to find.

When the market gets crazy, there are two options.
1. Have a real waitlist that fills up years ahead or have a lottery for the cars. This could be done at a national level instead of dealing with individual dealers. Make it difficult to resell in less than a year. Make it illegal to charge ADM (it is illegal in many countries, this isn't new). While not all enthusiasts will get a car, this will eliminate the flippers to a large degree and create a transparent process that is a little more fair and will keep the brand aspirational instead of exclusive creating more loyal customers for Porsche in good times and bad (especially young ones who might not have patience for dealer games).

2. Allow dealers and flippers to hoard cars and sell them off to effectively the highest bidder. Flippers will sell to flippers, or at least buyers whose calculation of ownership includes getting their money out. Those buyers are motivated to drive less and risk less on their investment. Younger buyers who aren't super-rich and buyers that are more upper-middle class than upper class will be excluded and start looking elsewhere. There will still be GT3s at track days (esp. bay area!) but fewer and the vibe will be a little different.

With the current supply and demand, I don't think we can have as nice a community and cars in the hands of as many enthusiast track day drivers without taking some of the steps in option 1. However, option 1 is incompatible with the ideas of "a dealer and a buyer can do whatever they want, it's America!" Option 1 is better for the brand in the long term because Porsche would be more able to capture market trends when they want (raising prices) or expand their customer base (leave prices low and let people with a slightly wider range of incomes have a chance at buying). And again, option 1 is certainly better for the community and customer experience.

What people don't realize is that option 2 isn't really what people call a "free market" in the strictest sense. In a free market there has to be an agent (seller) who can price the car lower and get more supply to outcompete the competition. With a limited number of cars, the few dealers who sell at MSRP aren't getting hundreds of cars more than the ones who don't, so we are missing a mechanism on the supply side for prices to lower. Each dealer or flipper has only a few cars, so when one decides to sell for a little lower, there isn't much pressure on the other sellers. (Prices can come down, but they take longer) Although they aren't an organized cartel (think diamonds and oil), with few enough cars and similar actions from all sellers (hold and gorge), we effectively have a cartel. This isn't free market capitalism in the version that creates all the things we love about capitalism (efficiencies and innovation!). This is crappy cartel capitalism where a few agents leech on the economy. The version of capitalism that's great is the one that keeps Porsches competing with McLarens, Corvettes, BMWs, Mercs, etc. to create the best products. And for Porsche to be the most competitive in the game at that level, in the long run, they need to rein in their dealers.
One of the best posts that I've read in years. The 997 days were the golden age of tracking GT cars as prices were depreciating (albeit slowly) but those days are long gone. You nailed it how you described the current market for GT cars as a crappy cartel capitalist market due to the supply hoarding and games played/misinformation by stealers and flippers which manipulates/distorts the supply side of the market. Then of course you have the dumb/impatient money who have don't have much patience and end up being the ones who pay the big ADMs. The saving grace is that only happens for so long and at some point the hype fades and thinks normalize.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:04 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I love how its all crickets when I do bother to post photos. Fooled by nimrods once again LOL.

My prediction. "This is your uncle's / dad's car" 😂😂😂
Old 01-14-2023, 07:08 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
I love how its all crickets when I do bother to post photos. Fooled by nimrods once again LOL.

My prediction. "This is your uncle's / dad's car" 😂😂😂
oops, sry… cool car man, cool car
Old 01-14-2023, 07:10 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

My guess is diablo spent his life saving + 401k on his gt3 so he gets very angry when he is told the obvious fact of gt3 price dropping lol.

Dude, look at what happened to 991.1 gt3. Exact same thing will happen to your investment of life 😂
Yeah, it's been a rough start to the month for me.
And you think I'm worried about the ADM that I paid.
You're comical.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 01-14-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
You're comical.

Good job diablo. Nursing homes are expensive these days. Better save up! 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by Ascend:
chance6 (01-15-2023), P-Car777 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 07:25 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Although they aren't an organized cartel (think diamonds and oil), with few enough cars and similar actions from all sellers (hold and gorge), we effectively have a cartel. This isn't free market capitalism in the version that creates all the things we love about capitalism (efficiencies and innovation!). This is crappy cartel capitalism where a few agents leech on the economy.
Totally. It's rent extraction and regulatory capture by oligopolists.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:28 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
You're comical.

Good job diablo. Nursing homes are expensive these days. Better save up! 👍
Guys come on this is getting silly, if I may say so. This "Look at all the moneyz I got!" vs "LOL you're an old geezer!" isn't the right direction for this thread I think.
The following users liked this post:
WCGhost (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 07:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,697 Likes on 5,115 Posts

Not only has this thread officially jumped the shark, but it has broad jumped over it.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 01-14-2023 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:36 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

The best and worst thread of RL 😈
Old 01-14-2023, 07:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Some people need to put each other on ignore. Everybody doesn’t need to talk with everybody.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:03 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,114 Likes on 2,042 Posts

I don't know if I should be more impressed at the trading account, or the fact that some troll got under your skin enough to make you feel that you need to prove yourself.

You both get a trophy.
The following users liked this post:
User 81423 (01-19-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 08:09 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah I think we've officially gone off the deep end...
Old 01-14-2023, 08:11 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Let's all get along and keep the conversation civil. Just because someone doesn't a GT3 or is a lurker doesn't mean that they shouldn't be posting here or that their opinion can't be posted. I'm an owner and I believe the car the current market price is too high and will come down this year, how much I don't know but there are a lot of headlines and other luxury items are heading down in value including other luxury/sports cars so GT cars won't be immune. So if someone is patient they'll be able to buy a used GT3 for a lower price later in the year.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
WCGhost (01-15-2023), Yargk (01-16-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM