Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 10:56 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Some of you guys need to admit to yourselves that you waste too much time on social media and not use the “but I don’t post often” excuse - it doesn’t take much more additional time to participate in a discussion versus reading it like an eavesdropper. And why someone who’s not shopping for a car or interested in prices would even read an ADM discussion is beyond me.
That goes both ways - Are you yourself interested in buying a 992 GT3? Just curious? It would appear not as there is no way on hell that you are getting one without ADM anytime soon and this thread is about ADM and what that may reasonably expected to be in the current market?

If you are certain you're getting one at MSRP - then you probably shouldnt be here either - no?
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
Diablo Dude (01-13-2023), nima639 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 11:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
That goes both ways - Are you yourself interested in buying a 992 GT3? Just curious? It would appear not as there is no way on hell that you are getting one without ADM anytime soon and this thread is about ADM and what that may reasonably expected to be in the current market?

If you are certain you're getting one at MSRP - then you probably shouldnt be here either - no?
Interested in a new or CPO GT or TT/TTS car, so I’m watching price trends. I can get a new one at MSRP, but could be quite a while before I get an allocation and I’m also interested in the 991 cars which have to be pre-owned.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:11 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 939 Likes on 456 Posts

Interested in a new or CPO GT or TT/TTS car, so I’m watching price trends. I can get a new one at MSRP, but could be quite a while before I get an allocation and I’m also interested in the 991 cars which have to be pre-owned.
Are you sure you really want a GT / TTS? I would encourage you to look at the Toyota Corolla or a V6 Honda Accord if you want more power. You can pick these up with minimal / no ADM and they last forever with cheap replacement parts.
The following 4 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
Diablo Dude (01-13-2023), Joe mac (01-13-2023), nima639 (01-13-2023), Peruna (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 12:38 PM
nima639
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of you guys need to admit to yourselves that you waste too much time on social media and not use the “but I don’t post often” excuse - it doesn’t take much more additional time to participate in a discussion versus reading it like an eavesdropper. And why someone who’s not shopping for a car or interested in prices would even read an ADM discussion is beyond me.
You might want to tell that to your best bud ASCEND who constantly puts down the 992 as an ugly car that he would never buy. But seems to post on this thread every single day......
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 12:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nima639
You might want to tell that to your best bud ASCEND who constantly puts down the 992 as an ugly car that he would never buy. But seems to post on this thread every single day......
I too find the front of the 992 GT3 a bit ugly (looks better when the black part is painted to match body color), but I’m not super picky about aesthetics and if I got an allocation at MSRP today, I’d take it without hesitation.

People identify with their cars too much as extensions of their selves, thus taking it too personally when their cars are criticized. For me, cars are machines to deliver driving experiences.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:56 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

So the answer is No - You will not buy a 992 GT3 with an ADM. So I find it ironic that you're suggesting Diablo (who has actual knowledge and has actually bought a 992 GT3) and others who have actually purchased 992 GT3's to leave, who can actually offer real world information. Whereas your interests are not the 992 GT3 but rather a 991 GT3 (there's a thread for that) or a TT/S (different forum). AND you theoretically can buy a 992 GT3 at sticker - hmmm. I'm not sure what your trying to get out of this thread or offer to this thread.
Diablo Dude (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 12:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

So the answer is No - You will not buy a 992 GT3 with an ADM. So I find it ironic that you're suggesting Diablo (who has actual knowledge and has actually bought a 992 GT3) and others who have actually purchased 992 GT3's to leave, who can actually offer real world information. Whereas your interests are not the 992 GT3 but rather a 991 GT3 (there's a thread for that) or a TT/S (different forum). AND you theoretically can buy a 992 GT3 at sticker - hmmm. I'm not sure what your trying to get out of this thread or offer to this thread.
Thread title is all things ADM, not specific to 992 GT3.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:16 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Some people enjoy going to Vegas to people watch, and have no interest in gambling.
Peruna (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 01:30 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
aka Dunning-Kruger
Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
The DunningKruger effect is a cognitive bias whereby people with low ability, expertise, or experience regarding a certain type of task
or area of knowledge tend to overestimate their ability or knowledge.
What I always find amusing is the folks who like to toss this phrase around as an insult, never seem to realize that's only half the meaning.

The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence. By contrast, this effect also causes those who excel in a given area to think the task is simple for everyone, and underestimate their relative abilities as well.
Depending on how someone interprets your posts, tossing that term at them without additional context, could be taken as a compliment. In a round-about way, your improper use of the term actually makes you guilty of the first half of the definition.

At this point, you might as well start tossing around the word "inconceivable".
Manifold (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 02:01 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I hear there are ADM's on Civic Type R's too - right?
Peruna (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I hear there are ADM's on Civic Type R's too - right?
If there’s another general ADM thread, I’ll go there and leave this one. Or if say six of you guys step up and say I should leave this thread, I’ll leave it.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Some people enjoy going to Vegas to people watch, and have no interest in gambling.
Sounds like a total waste of time to me.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,968 Likes on 5,216 Posts

Actually it is specific to the 992 GT3, or at least the GT cars of the 992 generation.

Given that we are in the 992 GT3 and GT2RS sub-forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Manifold (01-13-2023), nima639 (01-16-2023), WCGhost (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:30 PM
Boltsfan
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

So, I'm a long time lurker who is looking to buy a 992 GT3. I've held off buying because where I am in SoCal, the ADMs got crazy/bubblelicious, and I'd rather spend my money on other things versus an ADM. This thread has been helpful since Manifold, Ascend, usctrojan and others (even Welikethetrack) have, in my opinion, provided some good perspective on the market. I'm willing to pay a little markup on a car, but if it never gets there, then so be it. I'll buy something else. The economy is probably going to continue to weaken (see Jamie Dimon's commentary today about a mild recession being a base case), and industries that have products that are directly tied to interest rates will continue to feel it. Maybe GT3s are (much) more immune but it's clear prices are going to continue going down due the Fed's mission to supress inflation, the absence of crypto money buying luxury goods, etc.

What I've not found particularly helpful are the posters who have already bought their GT3, some of whom paid ADMs, who spew vitriol to anyone who dares say anything about ADMs. As has been said, I don't get why they post in this thread. You have your car, why do you care if there are others who don't want to pay an ADM or as little of it as possible? Whether it's because you feel bad for paying it or you just think it's stupid that people don't pay one for whatever reason, that's no reason to come on here and drive out posters who provide different viewpoints. Go enjoy your car and leave this thread if you can't help but engage in attacks that don't add anything.
The following 5 users liked this post by Boltsfan:
EMdoc (01-13-2023), Manifold (01-13-2023), usctrojanGT3 (01-14-2023), WCGhost (01-13-2023), Yargk (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:39 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Sounds like a total waste of time to me.
Funny.
Says the guy that's wasted an awful lot of time on an "ADM Thread" .... after repeatedly claiming that you are 1st in line at your dealership for a GT car at MSRP.
Maybe you just like talking about GT cars, with no interest in buying one.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 01-13-2023 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM