Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 10:23 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
It's an interesting topic with dimensions that extend beyond cars. Why would you expect the discussion to end? And why are you checking in on the discussion if it doesn't interest you? I don't even look at 99%+ of the threads in RL.
This thread is the most entertaining thread on RL for me, I keep getting sucked into it....can't....stop...posting.
The following users liked this post:
welikethetrack (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:31 PM
Joe mac
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

It's an interesting topic with dimensions that extend beyond cars. Why would you expect the discussion to end? And why are you checking in on the discussion if it doesn't interest you? I don't even look at 99%+ of the threads in RL.

I find it very interesting. Just not enough to post the same rhethoric every day. In legal speak, its called an attractive nuisance, Just funny truly, so no need for panty bunch.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:32 PM
Joe mac
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This thread is the most entertaining thread on RL for me, I keep getting sucked into it....can't....stop...posting.

the addiction is REAL. funny isn't it? I think some take it very seriously though
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe mac:
fijibubba (12-09-2022), usctrojanGT3 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:32 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It really is, and while pictures make it a bit of an eye sore, in person it is stunning.

Very pretty car from the rear. Ugly from the front and off proportion from the side. Its ok. Most guys are ok as long as *** is pretty 👍
Old 12-02-2022, 02:30 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe mac
the addiction is REAL. funny isn't it? I think some take it very seriously though
RL...it's a hell of a drug.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:15 AM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

This thread is like the real housewives. Often cringe worthy, always entertaining.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:43 AM
ky1e
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 31 Posts

Last edited by ky1e; 12-02-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
This thread is like the real housewives. Often cringe worthy, always entertaining.
Why cringeworthy? Just different predictions of what will happen with prices.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:08 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Why cringeworthy? Just different predictions of what will happen with prices.
Just seen a lot more cattiness, name calling, and disrespect of other users in this thread than most others on this forum. If your opinion doesn't line up with someone else's in here, you'll usually be called a stupid, dumb, an idiot, etc. I like a healthy discussion and the predictions are fun, but some of the attitudes in here are a bit much for my liking.
WCGhost (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 01:27 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Some of you are feeling the trunk of the elephant in your local market and deciding its a possum - dealers are individual businesses so you cant generalize your local experience and speak the truth to the deniers on Twitter, err I mean Rennlist

So in some markets and with some GMs they may want to sell the odd M4 at a big discount. Cant say that is the market across the board. But some Halo cars do seem to sit and BMW for example doesnt care - take the X5M market - BMW needs that car to show it's a baller, but they always end up selling 10+% under sticker as their just arent enough people who want them but BMW needs to run the line and produce a MEQ. I've purchased 5 M-cars all at 5-8% below sticker (not during Covid). BMW sells 2.5+M cars globally each year. They build a TON of Mcars.

Check out what's happening more broadly in the US OEM/Dealer dynamic in the market to shed some light on what we might be seeing

-OEMs selling direct more now, or at least omni channel to have more impact on the consumer decisions. Experience centers are Apple Stores.
- Days inventory on dealer lots used to be 60+ at times, was as low as 6-10 post Covid as a sign of production shortages, distribution woes etc
- Days Inventory rising but OEMs plan to keep it tighter now around 30 days (ie not dump on dealers lots) at request of dealers who want to sell at MSRP vs trunk money/rebates and discounting all the time
- OEMs like this as they more and more want cars ordered to build to better match their supply chain and production lines to optimize the cost side
- With better marketing DTC (and all the influencers doing their job better than they could with dealers who generally suck) they drive higher prices per unit and higher options
- Higher new sales prices keeps used prices higher too across the board as supply is now tighter and discounts don't crush auction sales

This is the general market some of you are seeing, or not, expecting prices to drop to the pre-Covid dynamics. Things appear to have changed.

Halo cars like Porsche GT division, Honda Civic R, Corvette z06 etc have their own economics. Some divisions use them as loss leaders, Porsche no doubt makes money given MSRP + options of $20K+ on most 911s. Porsche keeps their supply low relative to demand to make their Halos a true market leader, not a loss leader like an X5M. Porsche sells 300K cars a year - and a majority are SUVs, so they drive higher prices and margins.

An entire industry exists to provide reasonable depreciation curve estimates for auto leasing to manage the risk in lending. All cars will follow it, albeit with different curves.

With the above industry backdrop, Porsche has expertly managed demand and supply on GT cars to artificially keep the GT cars off the normal curve, at least IMO until the new models drop in 7-year cycles, Then they drop a little but not to the curves BMWs experience for example. Witness 991.1 price levels, below MSRP but still above what a normal sports car would sell for. (My 2013 911 is still worth $75K+ or 61% of MSRP even though it is now 9 years old, BMWs hit that in 3-4 years )

So many people on this board know and love this, as it allows them to live like Billionaires speccing/buying 2 or 3 GT cars every release cycle (2-3 years) and selling em back at little loss to further fuel the demand. No one wants to talk about that here but Rennlist and other boards are actually a key part of the dynamic fed by influencers here and on Youtube to actually keep the ADM cycle going. And now the demise (or serious limiting due to CAFE) of the NA engines are ensuring even more fear of future scarcity vs limited demand. No one knows yet how this will play out.

Anyway, many of you might be prone to generalization based on the trunk of the elephant. Fills the day I'll admit and you can sound super right - for your slice of the world and the few deals you may have seen. The cycle isn't that hard to spot, but Covid has driven some structural changes we are starting to experience.

One fun (if superficial) read here https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...november-2022/

Last edited by Chris C.; 12-02-2022 at 01:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris C.:
Diablo Dude (12-02-2022), usctrojanGT3 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 01:29 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
no , because no one can assess accurately the ADM at the time of car arrival .they are hoping that you cave in when you see the car and pay the 50 K ADM
I will agree to a lower ADM that is fixed
Look at the flip side. You have a free option on a car (that you spec) at $50 over. Nothing commits you to the car. When it shows up you take it at $50k or make another offer. Or negotiate something more fun with them.
Chris C. (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 01:33 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

deleted

Last edited by Chris C.; 12-02-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:49 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orca911
Look at the flip side. You have a free option on a car (that you spec) at $50 over. Nothing commits you to the car. When it shows up you take it at $50k or make another offer. Or negotiate something more fun with them.
Some dealers do secure non-refundable deposits. I paid one. But in CA this is true - but IMO it causes them to not treat customers seriously as there is less trust in a deal happening,
Old 12-02-2022, 02:06 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Just seen a lot more cattiness, name calling, and disrespect of other users in this thread than most others on this forum. If your opinion doesn't line up with someone else's in here, you'll usually be called a stupid, dumb, an idiot, etc. I like a healthy discussion and the predictions are fun, but some of the attitudes in here are a bit much for my liking.
RL definitely has more cattiness than other car forums. Maybe because its mostly guys with mid life crisis with too much female hormones lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ascend:
Therosser77 (12-02-2022), WCGhost (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 02:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

That's true, I do see way too much of that in this thread. Like I said, I think the situation with demand outstripping supply for the new cars, and consequent increase in prices, has owners, sellers, and prospective buyers wound up. Some want to see prices going up (or staying steady), others want to see prices going down.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM