Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 06:36 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I don’t care pal. It was a factual observation with specifically no opinion and you still got offended…

I’ll be at the track this Saturday absolutely destroying my resale value and I could care less.
Buttonwillow? I'll be at the Speed District Buttonwillow event today. I have open houses this weekend so gotta work Sat/Sun.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:02 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

got to love some random coming in and going from 220k to 250k…

then Bmw of Cleveland jumping in and bumping another 25k and paying 90k over…

does that make logical sense to you?

I truly wish we could hear it straight from that guys mouth why he is making a grave financial decision. How are they going to ship it back to Cleveland, Prep it, pay carrying costs then sell it through a salesman and have to pay him as well and somehow eek out a profit?

Might not be a shill bid, but it’s no doubt the dumbest I’ve seen to date
The market (for anything) doesn’t need to make sense and it can still be indicative of the current fair value (ie. ignoring spoofing which I agree then means it’s clearly not indicative of fair). I think a lot of that is the underlying issue in the debate on this thread - for some it makes sense to pay over sticker to get this car and they do and for others it doesn’t at all and they don’t and they wait.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:10 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

got to love some random coming in and going from 220k to 250k…

then Bmw of Cleveland jumping in and bumping another 25k and paying 90k over…

does that make logical sense to you?

I truly wish we could hear it straight from that guys mouth why he is making a grave financial decision. How are they going to ship it back to Cleveland, Prep it, pay carrying costs then sell it through a salesman and have to pay him as well and somehow eek out a profit?

Might not be a shill bid, but it’s no doubt the dumbest I’ve seen to date
what doesn’t make sense is some easily offended guy without any interest in buying a car obsessing over the value of said car

people that obsess over how other people spend their money usually don’t have much or are envious of others… like AOC and Musk

Last edited by WenigerAberBeser; 11-04-2022 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NYCGT3 (11-05-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:13 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

I don’t care pal. It was a factual observation with specifically no opinion and you still got offended…

I’ll be at the track this Saturday absolutely destroying my resale value and I could care less.
yeah sounds like you got an Excel tracker of past GT sales… now answer the original question
Old 11-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,345 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Markets always 'make sense', but not always relative to a particular set of metrics we may wish to apply. When markets don't make sense to us, that's an indication that we don't understand the markets and is a prompt to delve deeper to try to understand the markets.

I'm slowly coming to understand the current market for Porsche new and used cars. Sort of. But one thing I really don't understand is how Porsche seems to be making a normal number of cars over the past couple years, yet my dealer claims they haven't gotten many allocations during that period.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:11 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
The market (for anything) doesn’t need to make sense and it can still be indicative of the current fair value.
Correct.
Financial market investors and traders are clearly aware of this.
Others, are not.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:18 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,114 Likes on 2,042 Posts

@Manifold the assumption is that your dealer is being truthful. The reality is that it’s difficult to tell someone that thinks they’re a big deal, that they aren’t special at all.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
@Manifold the assumption is that your dealer is being truthful. The reality is that it’s difficult to tell someone that thinks they’re a big deal, that they aren’t special at all.
I have a good relationship with my GM. I've known him more than 10 years and know him on a personal level, and I have no reason to think he's not being truthful. Problem may be that my dealership is on the smaller side, so they may not get a lot of allocations in total. I'm high up on the list, but there are others ahead of me (just bought sixth car from him, but prior purchase was way back in 2016, and I'm only recently in a mood to rotate through cars more frequently, before I get old and lose interest in cars).
Old 11-04-2022, 12:49 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

2022 GT3 winged PTS with 24 miles and an MSRP of $189,880 is currently $275,000 bid on BAT with 5 hours left.

2022 Porsche 911 GT3 6-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - ending November 4 (Lot #89,681) | Bring a Trailer
Old 11-04-2022, 01:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
2022 GT3 winged PTS with 24 miles and an MSRP of $189,880 is currently $275,000 bid on BAT with 5 hours left.

2022 Porsche 911 GT3 6-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - ending November 4 (Lot #89,681) | Bring a Trailer
To my eye, so ugly that I wouldn’t pay MSRP for it. And I wouldn’t buy it just to flip it.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:33 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Buttonwillow? I'll be at the Speed District Buttonwillow event today. I have open houses this weekend so gotta work Sat/Sun.
I’ve gone with speed district a bunch of times and buttonwillow is great!

But I’m going SOW with a group I’ve never gone with before called touge2track I believe. I usually go to events on saturdays in football season haha

Old 11-04-2022, 01:47 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
what doesn’t make sense is some easily offended guy without any interest in buying a car obsessing over the value of said car

people that obsess over how other people spend their money usually don’t have much or are envious of others… like AOC and Musk
not offended at all lol

Make some calls, 50k over is very easy to find atm. So it’s a head scratcher to why a dealer would pay that money being that they should be well connected

And I’m def not envious lol I had a gt3rs I DD here in LA for awhile and it just became too stiff and uncomfortable and I missed Manual and I thought it was too much like my scuderia in the sense of unusable racecars so I dumped it (for 24k over) and looked for something comfier with manual. Then I couldn’t decide what to buy as I test drove a 992 carrera S manual (gts wasn’t out yet) and couldn’t believe how boring that was so I said fugg it lets try a gt4 with some sofas.

very good decision btw. If I replace this in 12-18 months I’ll probably get a gt4rs tbh, I think those are just the coolest. I appreciate a Gt3 tho, great car as well.

AOC and musk in a comparison rofl
The following users liked this post:
RealityGT (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 03:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

If you're the sort of person who goes to a restaurant and orders whatever you want, regardless of prices, you're may be more inclined to pay ADM on these cars.

If you're the sort of person who goes to a restaurant, can easily afford to order whatever you want, but what you order is influenced by price and value, you may be less inclined to pay ADM on these cars.

Neither of these is wrong, but there's an interesting dynamic when both sorts of people are competing to buy stuff which is made in limited supply. Making more of the stuff could eliminate that competition, but the maker of the stuff may not want to, or may not be able to.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Markets always 'make sense', but not always relative to a particular set of metrics we may wish to apply. When markets don't make sense to us, that's an indication that we don't understand the markets and is a prompt to delve deeper to try to understand the markets.

I'm slowly coming to understand the current market for Porsche new and used cars. Sort of. But one thing I really don't understand is how Porsche seems to be making a normal number of cars over the past couple years, yet my dealer claims they haven't gotten many allocations during that period.
Originally Posted by shrimp money
Originally Posted by Manifold
I have a good relationship with my GM. I've known him more than 10 years and know him on a personal level, and I have no reason to think he's not being truthful. Problem may be that my dealership is on the smaller side, so they may not get a lot of allocations in total. I'm high up on the list, but there are others ahead of me (just bought sixth car from him, but prior purchase was way back in 2016, and I'm only recently in a mood to rotate through cars more frequently, before I get old and lose interest in cars).
I think Covid has taught Porsche and a lot of other marques the benefits of JIT -- something that Toyota pioneered almost 2 decades ago, which Porsche now has perfected, not to streamline manufacturing process (like Toyota), but to leverage the ability to manipulate the supply chain to heighten consumer demand.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:52 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think Covid has taught Porsche and a lot of other marques the benefits of JIT -- something that Toyota pioneered almost 2 decades ago, which Porsche now has perfected, not to streamline manufacturing process (like Toyota), but to leverage the ability to manipulate the supply chain to heighten consumer demand.
But the ADM profits are going to dealers and flippers, not Porsche. I think demand unexpectedly went way up and the just can’t make more to meet the demand, but would make more if they could.

Also possible that they don’t want to make more now because they don’t to create a surplus of cars which hurts future sales and prices. Porsche is very good at both the design and business sides.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM