Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 05:52 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

The major difference, imo, is that Camry owners don’t flog their cars as some performance car owners do. While certainly imperfect, there is a greater correlation between mileage and condition in the Porsche - or sports car - world.

Of course, many “high mileage” examples are pristine, but having owned several performance cars and now my second 911, mileage matters as it reduces the risk of problems. A reliable PPI is always a good idea, regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted by aaronjb_ME
CPO Until 2022 not good enough for you?

I bought my first Porsche last year. I love the definition of "high mileage" in the Porsche universe. If 50k miles is "high mileage" for a modern 911, then they must be 1/3 to 1/4 as reliable as, say, a Toyota Camry.

I suspect a lot of the mileage sensitivity is really more about perception and ego than any actual concern about drivability and reliability. That is, people want low-mileage examples because it signals some important cues to others in the Porsche community.

Much like age, mileage is just a number. I enjoy reading the stories in the various high mileage threads of people who've dumped tens of thousands of miles on their cars, and therefore have received a lot of utility and enjoyment out of the vehicles. I'm more concerned with a car's maintenance history and how it drives than what's on the odometer.
The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:24 PM
scr1244
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 250 Posts

I bought my ‘14 991.1 C2S from a private party. Had 6 months of CPO remaining. Simply called Porsche customer service and the warranty was transferred to my name, no fuss no muss. Glad it was, got new door panels a week before it expired and engine lid shocks.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:45 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Baba Ghanoush
This warranty is not valid if sold by any non-authorized commercial dealer or broker. If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void.
It's clear it'd be void for the dealer, but since there's no further wording, probably void to the future owner as well, right? It makes sense to void it for the dealer, since a lot of people could be test-driving the car, and/or dealer personnel abusing it.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:53 PM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
It's clear it'd be void for the dealer, but since there's no further wording, probably void to the future owner as well, right? It makes sense to void it for the dealer, since a lot of people could be test-driving the car, and/or dealer personnel abusing it.
No, that is incorrect. If you sell it from one private party to the other, it carries over. In fact, another poster just commented and said the same.

So, in simplistic terms:

1) Seller A of a 911 (for example) sells directly to Private Party buyer B his/her CPO'd 911, the REMAINDER of the CPO carries over to the new private party buyer;
2) Seller A of a 911 trades it in/sells to Dealership B his/her CPO'd 911, the CPO is now voided;
3) Seller A of a 911 trades in/sells to a non-Porsche Dealership his/her CPO'd 911, the CPO is now voided

Old 04-18-2020, 07:00 PM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Just to build on that, it took a minute, but here is information direct from Porsche (look at the last page):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-KkJoI_8dNcY7M
Old 04-19-2020, 01:03 AM
dmia
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is exact language from Porsche:

This warranty is not valid if sold by any non-authorized commercial dealer or broker. If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void.
YEMV, the dealer would have to go through the history to find out where the car has been. They are too busy to do that with every car that go through their service bay. My CPO went through a non-authorized dealer and my dealer never once gave me any problems when I brought it to them.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:12 AM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Same for me....

Originally Posted by dmia
YEMV, the dealer would have to go through the history to find out where the car has been. They are too busy to do that with every car that go through their service bay. My CPO went through a non-authorized dealer and my dealer never once gave me any problems when I brought it to them.
My car came through a non-Porsche dealer as well, and they picked up the CPO and never asked a question. Now I wouldn’t have walked in assuming this either, nor would I ask if they’ll cover and explaining where I bought the car. Just expect the CPO to work and play dumb.
sr5959 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:22 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 463 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by scr1244
I bought my ‘14 991.1 C2S from a private party. Had 6 months of CPO remaining. Simply called Porsche customer service and the warranty was transferred to my name, no fuss no muss. Glad it was, got new door panels a week before it expired and engine lid shocks.
What was the problem with the door panels?
Old 04-19-2020, 11:07 AM
scr1244
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 250 Posts

They warp, and there are many comments on Rennlist about it, just search.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,454 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
What was the problem with the door panels?
Here is thread on it Rick. How you and yours doing?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9792...detaching.html
Old 04-19-2020, 11:36 AM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
Originally Posted by Niez66
My car came through a non-Porsche dealer as well, and they picked up the CPO and never asked a question. Now I wouldn’t have walked in assuming this either, nor would I ask if they’ll cover and explaining where I bought the car. Just expect the CPO to work and play dumb.
Exactly this... I was actually looking into an extended warranty when the person I was talking to asked why I was looking since she pulled up my car and it showed as CPO. I explained to her what I knew about Porsche's policies to void and she told me to call Porsche.
I've talked to 3 separate dealers, as well as called Porsche personally. My car shows CPO in their system, even though I bought it at a non-Porsche dealer several months ago. I'm taking a chance that any service I need will be covered under CPO.
I even told the agent at Porsche I had bought it at a non-Porsche dealership and she just said that maybe that dealer had an affiliation with Porsche. I left it at that... It's in their system as CPO....works for me!
Old 04-20-2020, 03:07 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, I knew buying from private party would carry the CPO to new buyer, but my question was if we buy from a non-authorized dealer what happens. CPO is obviously void to them, but what happens to the next buyer. Apparently, it's up to the dealer if they want to honor it or not, which is not very reassuring. Fortunately, the head of the only local Porsche dealer, bought my house a year+ ago, and I'm good friends with him, so will ask him tomorrow point blank, when I go test drive some 911s.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:35 AM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I knew buying from private party would carry the CPO to new buyer, but my question was if we buy from a non-authorized dealer what happens. CPO is obviously void to them, but what happens to the next buyer. Apparently, it's up to the dealer if they want to honor it or not, which is not very reassuring. Fortunately, the head of the only local Porsche dealer, bought my house a year+ ago, and I'm good friends with him, so will ask him tomorrow point blank, when I go test drive some 911s.
They are not supposed to, but it sounds like a couple gents in here have gotten lucky in the past. Not sure I would take the risk without 100% certainty when plunking down that much money and hoping/wanting a warranty on my car along with it.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default door cards no longer a concern pedros garage

There is a guy in florida rebuilding the door cards for cheap when they go bad (which they will its a faulty design). Look up pedros garage. There is actually a face book group for porsche interior door panel. Perhaps one day they will step up.

They are not supposed to, but it sounds like a couple gents in here have gotten lucky in the past. Not sure I would take the risk without 100% certainty when plunking down that much money and hoping/wanting a warranty on my car along with it.
cpa7man (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 463 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Here is thread on it Rick. How you and yours doing?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9792...detaching.html
Got it... doing ok so far, thanks! Working from home since early March. Manage to squeeze a little drive here and there, which is great with reduced traffic. Hope you're doing well, too.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991